Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,352 members, 7,940,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 01:48 AM

Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) (13596 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 1:09am On Jun 23, 2006
Bab, , hmmmm datz so sweet tongue
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by ZuluNation(m): 1:27am On Jun 23, 2006
superman:

why una de envy ibo people ! ibo people still love one nigeria abeg jore make una mind your buizness

I'm not the smartest man, but I know that no matter what we Igbos do we'll always be envied by the rest of Nigerians. Some times I wish we Igbos had our own country so we don't have to keep taking this horse shiit from all the Non Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by omogenaija(f): 1:33am On Jun 23, 2006
I aint igbo and i dont envy igbos either. i see us as all the same expect we speak different languages.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 2:22am On Jun 23, 2006
you guys r something else , who is hatin on ibo ppl ? as for me i was just sayin that nollywood is dominated w/ ibo ppl n its true you can argue with me on that n you will nvr win.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 9:00am On Jun 23, 2006
@K2Dac. Can i ask you some questions. I think you are only judging only by the Nigerian movies you are exposed to.

1) What do you mean by Nollywood? Is it just the english home videos (mostly Igbos) or other tribes inclusive you are talking about.

2) Does the Igbo's produce more films than the Yoruba's? I strongly believe not. What about the Hausa's and other
tribes in Nigeria are thay not part of Nollywood?. Don't tell me, with the addition of these tribes, Igbo's still dominate Nollywood?. Not to even talk of Yoruba's only.

3) I see almost the same faces in English movies every time, few old faces and new faces relatively. But that is not the case in Yoruba movies, at least compare to English movies.

Peace.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jun 23, 2006
hun im exposed to alot of nigerian movies , the yoruba movies are not nollywood , or in my own sense they don't give the yoruba ones publicity as nollywood movies.

n the english ones should have all tribes , i mean they make it seem like only igbo ppl speak english wth is that all about

the new faces nvr last,
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Skidoc(m): 3:46pm On Jun 23, 2006
K2DaC:

the yoruba movies are not nollywood

So what are they? K2DaCollywood? grin
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 23, 2006
ok if they are they dont make it seem like it how many times do i have to say it ??, get me? cuz not everyone watches yoruba movie , almost everyone would watch the english ones with alot of igbo ppl
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 5:05pm On Jun 23, 2006
@K2Dac. So Yoruba and Hausa movies are not part of Nollywood abi?. I find that statement hilarious . From your statement it shows you are not expose to Nollywood at all. My apologies if you find it offensive. You probally failed to acknowledge the publicity of Yoruba or any other tribes movies.

No, Igbo's do not control Nollywood.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by omogenaija(f): 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2006
unfortunately what K2Dac is saying is true in a way. because when most ppl say nollywood they think genieve nnaji not faitha balogun. its saddens me. i made a topic about y nollywood is mostly consider english actors and actress, but i dont know how to put the link here.

anyways when i think nollywood i think yoruba movies, because i watch more of them than english movies.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 2:53am On Jun 24, 2006
babwilms please for the last time read

im sorry if im being rude ,

EVEN IF I SAID YORUBA MOVIES ARE NOT NOLLYWOOD I CLEARED IT UP BY SAYIN EVEN IF THEY ARE, THEY DONT GET THAT NOLLYWOOD PUBLICITY , DAMN LISTEN IM SORRY I HAVE TO GO ALL IN CAPS BUT ITS GETTING ANNOYING IF I HAVE TO REPEAT MYSELF OVER AND OVER

AND I DONT HAVE TO BE EXPOSED TO NOLLYWOOD TO SEE WHATS OBVIOUS DUH . THE ENGLISH MOVIES LOOK AT THE INTRO AND END , YOU BARELY SEE A YORUBA NAME, AND WHEN PPL TALK ABOUT NOLLYWOOD NO ONE SAYS THE YORUBA STARS OR HAUSA BECAUSE THE ONES EVERYONE CAN WATCH IS THE ENGLISH ONES WHICH IS IGBO DOMINATED , I WONT SAY THIS AGAIN , READ THIS 10TIMES B4 U SAY SOMETHING RETARDED.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by WesleyanA(f): 3:25am On Jun 24, 2006
lol.
KC setting Babawilms straight. wink
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 11:00am On Jun 24, 2006
@K2Dac. My apologies
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 24, 2006
thank you Lord shocked

nah its coo u dont have to apologize , but its coo
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by shango(m): 7:06pm On Jun 25, 2006
we Yorubas do not like to speak pidgin, Igbos speak it in general way more casually and frequently than we Yorubas do . I thought any Nigerian knew this (ofcourse this does not imply anything malicous or prejudicial. ). So ofcourse most "English" Nollywood movies (which 90% are actually pidgin English) will be mostly Yoruba. Yoruba movies are in Yoruba because its Naija anyway, and its a Naija moview, we figure hey, why not speak our tribal language as well.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by superman(m): 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2006
na wahooo and does dat mean say ibo no like he lang ! the broader de sell are the more money u make !! simple thing high demand more profit ! i think it funni when yoruba claim say they be best educated in nigeria! now i see wat they meant as best educated! abeg ibo keep makin ur english movies! do ur thing nollywood! if they no want make we shine na them sabi!

god bless united nigeria!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by WesleyanA(f): 8:35pm On Jun 26, 2006
superman:

na wahooo and does that mean say ibo no like he lang ! the broader de sell are the more money u make !! simple thing high demand more profit ! i think it funni when yoruba claim say they be best educated in nigeria! now i see what they meant as best educated! abeg ibo keep makin your english movies! do your thing nollywood! if they no want make we shine na them sabi!

god bless united nigeria!

do you mean that people who can and like to speak languages other than english are uneducated? especially if this "other language" is a huge part of their culture?

engish doesn't qualify as educated.

people should be proud of their language instead of another man's language (we use it for official purpose though and that's why Igbo movies are better recognized even though they're very self conscious and think everybody hates them for some weird reason i don't know )

and yes God bless united Nigeria lol smiley
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nella(f): 1:19pm On Jul 04, 2006
y can't yoruba movies just b in englis?? cuz we all know in Ng we speak different languages.
they could jus get the idea of the movie and put it in english, atleast more people will watch them.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2006
Yoruba movies can't be done in English for so many reasons. One of the reasons is that we need something that can be called our own not the borrowed language. The best we can do is to give subtitles in English. Also because it will loose its value (Yoruba). There is something about the Yoruba language and movies in general.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Afam4eva(m): 11:49am On Jul 05, 2006
If you go to the north or eastern part of Nigeria and call the name "fathia balogun"nobody will know who she is.Do u know hausa people also produce movies,but they never get their movies played on TV stations in Lagos because the tv stations are yoruba dominated,the same way TV station play yoruba Rap songs and when it's time to play igbo songs they play Igbo cultural songs like "AKANCHAWA",who says there are no Igbo Rap/Hip hop songs.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by exu(m): 8:46pm On Jul 06, 2006
they're very self conscious and think everybody hates them for some weird reason i don't know

Try re-reading this, or any number of the childish threads similar to this one on this here message board.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Oracle(m): 3:03pm On Jul 17, 2006
Itz not like itz controlled by Igbos but Igbo guys are everywhere in the industry.
Most of the directors, producers and marketers are igbos so it looks like the igbos own the industry
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Vickanni: 12:16pm On Aug 14, 2006
@Mizkay? Is this Mizkay my estranged Cameroonian friend in London? Hope it is!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by gigitte(f): 11:24am On Aug 15, 2006
hahaha
nollywood is controlled by idumota, lagos and iweka road, onitsha and maybe alaba
if it is the purple man that controls these areas, the purple man is in charge of nollywood grin
i personally think its the enterprising igbo man.

on the real tho, i've noticed that a lot of english films portray the igbo side of life, at least the ones that i have watched. i think that they sidestep this by giving everyone english names. but if you look at the practices they are igbo. i mean how many of these tribal english movies have you seen that were not an eastern ethnic group. not that im complaining oh, at all at all, i learn a lot from them. and i always ask my igbo friends for follow up and clarification

yoruba movies on the other hand are really in their own niche.

the problem with all this control is that these ppl are not interested in making movies as an artform or social commentary or even just a plain ol good movie, to them it is a business. that is why we rarely get fresh actresses. and its bad for nollywood.
my own too cents
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by enugu(f): 9:38pm On Aug 25, 2006
@ K2DaC
but nollywood is classified as igbo people movie anyway no matter how u look at it

Bros, I'll agree with you there. I have a lot of Yoruba friends and they always refer to non-Yoruba nollywood films as 'Igbo films'. I think it has to do with the histrorical account of film-making in Nigeria and the fact that the majority of marketers, distributors and those behind the scenes on English-speaking films are non-Yoruba. My experience with Yorubas is that they classify everyone from Edo/Delta State and beyond as 'Igbo' anyway. So even films by the Amatas and the Ejiros who are from Delta are still classified as Igbo.

However. let the film industry grow; that's our prayer be it Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Ijaw, Ibibio, Efik, Fulani, Igbani, Ikwerre, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Edo, Ika-Igbo, Igbanke, Isan, Kalabari tongue tongue tongue Need I go on grin grin
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by ATLANTA96(m): 9:24pm On May 22, 2007
everybody says it bcox, the yoruba have there own movie and the hausa's are not much in the movie industry, so everybody believes that nollywood is been controlled by the igbo,
well they have a lot of igbo's in the industry does not mean is controlled by them,
just that they are good in that stuff and they are really trying too
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by crisngige(m): 5:32pm On Jan 30, 2008
nollywood,[the igbo and english film sector] makes up 80 percent of nigeria's movie industry.nolly wood started in 1991.it is different from the yoruba movie sector. the yoruba movie sector makes up about 15 % of the nigerian movie industry.

the third sector in nigeria's movie industry is the government backed sector.it is not as profitable as nolly wood or the yoruba movie sector.

lumping these 3 industries together is like lumping the two movie sectors in the us, hollywood and the indies together.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Watchman0: 8:18pm On Mar 21, 2008
All we are saying, give us good movies, !
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by RichyBlacK(m): 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2009
Interesting.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by chyk91(m): 12:07am On Jan 04, 2009
no its not.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by lucabrasi(m): 8:06pm On Jan 04, 2009
of course nollywood as presently constituted is controlled by the igbos,im not holding brief for any one tribe but that attitude has been one of the bane of true professionalism in the industry and also achieving their true potentials, if the awesome achievements of their forebears are not highlighted and appreciated in nollywood because of ethnic intolerance and perceived ethnic superiority then they ll continue to go round in circles,
example is the popular but flawed notion that nollywood started in the 1990s,
if nollywood is supposed to represent NIGERIAN MOVIE PRACTITIONERS, how r bout the likes of the late herbert ogunde,who brought a hollywood production down to nigeria as far back as almost 20 years ago.
how about ade love the father of the irapada dude
eddie ugboma,who s never mentioned these days
baba sala who made films way back in the 1980s
and several others
tunde kelani who s simply one of the less than 5 truelly professional and talented producers,cinematographers fo world wide repute
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by FufuKing1(m): 8:14pm On Jan 04, 2009
Leave Patience Ozokwor alone, o! She's my sweetheart. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network / Jenifa's Diary Season 3 Full Episode / MY MOTHER'S HEART- Short Film Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.