Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,247 members, 7,967,580 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 10:23 PM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (65806 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by AmucheJane(f): 7:24am On Dec 31, 2013
desh: Let me add 2d fun by saying, compare d leadership of an hnd grad OBJ n our dearest Prof. GEJ. Sincerely btw d 2 whose ideology handled d nation best n who practicalized privatization with recorded success? To me, it doesn't mata wot u carry for paper...na wetin u get for HEAD n can deliver. We just have some overpriced education a times.
very correct. We have ppl with Bsc that can't even read or write well. When you get to NYSC camp, check the educated illiterate there and see that they are almost uni product. The man thing in life is to know what you are doing well. I no a guy with ND that went for his IT in one company and they refuse him going because he is good. That guy has built a house and has a car, by now he should be through with his part-time program. My younger brother finished his ND in PTI (marketing) but a final year student from UNN could not defeat him. No be Bsc holders dey ride bike and keke?where u see the job self. My own be say, be good at which ever course you are studying, uni or poly. What will be will be, just focus.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by timsucces(m): 7:25am On Dec 31, 2013
Amuche Jane: If you check very well, you will see that just few of you guys are arguing about this issue and some of you are still student, wetin una know self. Some of una mate don get 2 or 3 degree, that person with HND can still get that Bsc if he/her likes, education dey finish? No, is only when you get tired of schooling or no money for you to read more. Uni or poly will not stop you from been whom you will be in life. Somepeople just dey make noise here, abeg make I hear word o.
./my man u said it all,u cn b anytn u are to be weda wt hnd or bsc
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Smily202(m): 7:27am On Dec 31, 2013
I tire for this Argument oooh
anienge001: The arrogance and narrow-mindedness displayed on this thread is appalling. We should all be thinking about the usefulness of the knowledge acquired from each institution(Poly/Uni) and not which is superior. What is the usefulness of a BSc graduate who can't prepare simple chemical solutions for SS3 practicals, but depends on an OND holder? What use is B.Eng when the holder can't interpret a technical drawing but depends on the expertise of a draughtsman? Aside the pride we all carry and the artificial disparity created by myopic politicians, how does the degree we hold(HND or BSc) contribute to our national growth?
Any country the desire sincere economic growth should focus on those who can build and not those who sit in their offices with over blown egos.

NB: I came from both worlds, I can tell you all, this is a useless debate and it has been over flocked here.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by aydrees09: 7:35am On Dec 31, 2013
Y are these guys (HND grads) ranting like they were forced to go to polytechnic. I'm sure your parents wanted you to go to a UNIVERSITY

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ndidibabe(f): 7:46am On Dec 31, 2013
Amuche Jane: very correct. We have ppl with Bsc that can't even read or write well. When you get to NYSC camp, check the educated illiterate there and see that they are almost uni product. The man thing in life is to know what you are doing well. I no a guy with ND that went for his IT in one company and they refuse him going because he is good. That guy has built a house and has a car, by now he should be through with his part-time program. My younger brother finished his ND in PTI (marketing) but a final year student from UNN could not defeat him. No be Bsc holders dey ride bike and keke?where u see the job self. My own be say, be good at which ever course you are studying, uni or poly. What will be will be, just focus.
You NO a guy? With your poor construction of English, one might just conclude that the HND certificate is a joke.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by anochuko01(m): 7:48am On Dec 31, 2013
Even BSc's within nigeria are not equivalent. A BSc in OAU isnt equal to a BSc in OSU. Also, a HND graduate in yabatech, auchi, ilaro polytechnics would be rated over a BSc holder in so many universities in Nigeria.
Our problem is that tertiary education in nigeria is ruined. Once this is fixed, both polys and unis would be succesful in their areas of strength.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Igholize(m): 7:54am On Dec 31, 2013
Anvaller: Relax guys,

From what I have seen from the arguments here, everything still boil down at typical Naija mentality. Some with university degree are trying hard to rubbish HND so they can feel important with their university degrees, whereas we should be discussing the real issues, in the real sense of things, an HND certificate might be more relevant and regarded than even a BSC depending on specialization.

HND is equivalent to BSC in terms of level of education achieved. Hnd graduates have attained the same level of education as BSC graduates the only difference is that u have both studied for different purposes. Nigerian government needs to restructure and improve our educational system because believe me guys, even university education in Nigeria is absolute crap, it is just funny that some university folks are talking down poly folks. One thing u don't know is that u just think u are better cos the society makes u think u are better. Whether university or poly, u are all products of an archaic dysfunctional educational system. Those who have got some good education abroad can tell me if I am lying.

Guys, pls lets move beyond discrimination it ruins as us as a ppl. The question we should be asking here is why do we have polytechnics and universities? what are their responsibilities in the job market. Come and look at sectors like construction, oil and gas, engineering etc in North America. The guys from technical colleges grab the most opportunities. In fact the industry needs them the most and they earn big. Much bigger than what any white collar buddy can earn in several years of working. So guys instead of discriminating and condemning some ppl, may be we should be asking our government to put our education in the right place. And provide environment for industries that will absorb them.

...... Yea bro,,, u re on point nd been rational... U ve said it all nd 4rm all u ve said, no sentiments been attached. An engr, technologist nd even technicians nd craftmens ve various role 2 play in executing engineerin projects, combination of dis proffesionals makes d building project or construction of a road 2 b errected nd acheived... So, d glory shouldn't be given 2 d engr but all proffesionals involved. Am a practicing civil engr nd in engineering, we do not bliv in bsc or hnd, we bliv in theorotical knowledge I.e, been able 2 design, interprete nd analyse nd practical knowledge I.e, been able 2 transfer all wot's on d design on ground... So,all proffesional bodies in d engineering sector re significants because dey ve a vital role dey played in acheiving or seein a project done... all u folks should stop using engineerin as a yardstick 4 dis arguement. I salute una
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 31, 2013
SSS is recruiting!! Lower credit for BSc and upper credit for HND.. Lol
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Qyubee(m): 7:56am On Dec 31, 2013
Its clear ds generatn is wastd jst like d one b4. Pls hw has ds helpd improve our lives as Nigerians? Sad to see graduates with high thought levels thnk like they are nevr educatd. Ths is so sad.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 31, 2013
aydrees09: Y are these guys (HND grads) ranting like they were forced to go to polytechnic. I'm sure your parents wanted you to go to a UNIVERSITY
you are deceiving urself. worldwide hnd and bsc are equivalent. hnd holders can become directors and boss over bsc graduates.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 31, 2013
Igholize: ...... Yea bro,,, u re on point nd been rational... U ve said it all nd 4rm all u ve said, no sentiments been attached. An engr, technologist nd even technicians nd craftmens ve various role 2 play in executing engineerin projects, combination of dis proffesionals makes d building project or construction of a road 2 b errected nd acheived... So, d glory shouldn't be given 2 d engr but all proffesionals involved. Am a practicing civil engr nd in engineering, we do not bliv in bsc or hnd, we bliv in theorotical knowledge I.e, been able 2 design, interprete nd analyse nd practical knowledge I.e, been able 2 transfer all wot's on d design on ground... So,all proffesional bodies in d engineering sector re significants because dey ve a vital role dey played in acheiving or seein a project done... all u folks should stop using engineerin as a yardstick 4 dis arguement. I salute una

thank you. u said it all. engineering is about what u can do,not paper.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 31, 2013
ndidibabe: You NO a guy? With your poor construction of English, one might just conclude that the HND certificate is a joke.
see correct english!!!smh.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by MicroBox: 8:18am On Dec 31, 2013
Carry your HND.go look for admission. I am assuring you 200L
For masters, that one from PGD
And for ......
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Tonyfrancis(m): 8:20am On Dec 31, 2013
dejt4u: Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni
If I'm must tag u a name,I'll be pleased to call u a dumb head
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kazyhm(m): 8:20am On Dec 31, 2013
#bizfirst#:
Nigerians are always confused and are found of attaching value where none exists! To the best of my knowledge, polytechnic graduates beat their university counterparts in vocational and technical courses any day, any time. The universities should even be proud they are equated to polytechnics...SMH!
How, whr ?
Ppl jst conclude on issues anyhw
Anyways, I studied geomatics engring, during my SIWES d so called employed HND +advance diploma in d same field dn't knw half of what we were taught in skul
Dey r learners In areas lyk mining, photogrametry, remote sensing, hydrography plenty bt to mention few
Bt vry good in cadastra
While we stop all dis cadastra in 200L
Well, still thinkin of whch area a polytechnic graduate ll beat me in my field.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Od31(m): 8:22am On Dec 31, 2013
zebra: He told u guys he was a given a direct MS in the US with his HND, and u're asking him of PGD. He meant that he didn't have to do a PGD.

My brother thank you, some people just can't read and understand, I wonder if they actually went to sch. Anyway in Nigeria they pay their way thru Jamb, and University. Am not suprise that they can not comprehend simple statements
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 31, 2013
MicroBox: Carry your HND.go look for admission. I am assuring you 200L
For masters, that one from PGD
And for ......

Albert Einstein was an HND graduate and had his PhD without discrimination. many university graduates in civil service are wasteful.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 31, 2013
kazyhm:
How, whr ?
Ppl jst conclude on issues anyhw
Anyways, I studied geomatics engring, during my SIWES d so called HND +advance diploma in d same field dn't knw half of what we were taught in skul
Thr a learner I area lyk mining, photogrametry, remote sensing plenty bt to mention few
Bt vry good in cadastra
Well, still thinkin of whch area a polytechnic graduate ll beat me in my field.
that is isolated case. course contents depend human resources. for example, in lautech,elect and elect department does not sound course content in electronics and some polytechnics have good lecturers in electronics.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 31, 2013
zebra: Please, if World Educational Services (WES), a US educational evaluation agency could evaluate a Nigerian HND certificate and say it is equivalent to a 4-year Bsc Degree, what then is the problem of Nigeria and Nigerians? Many HND holders have had their transcripts evaluated by WES and the outcomes have been that the Nigerian HND is equivalent to a Bsc Degree. What then is making Nigeria to still discriminate against Nigerian HND holders? Try evaluating ur Bsc or HND certificate with www.wes.org and see. Or, is it that they don't know what they are doing?

can u name d companies rejecting all ur employment letters so we can start d aluta? grin grin grin
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by tpia5: 8:40am On Dec 31, 2013
Tertiary education in nigeria is not what it used to be.

Ok, before, it was common knowledge the hnd is the equivalent of a bsc.

Not sure what's going on now.

The pgd is required for people who want to proceed for their masters before going for youth service. It might also apply to hnd holders, not sure.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by pembisco(m): 8:42am On Dec 31, 2013
Hehe, diz poly peeps de mek me laf oh. I'm medical lab science student of a uni, imagine telin me my cert is same wit sm1 studyin lab science tech in a poly. Haba na, wen i de do courses lyk anatomy, biochem, histopathology ,chempathology, heamatology, pharmacology, medical microbiology, immunology, biomedical ethics, physiology whly them they do secndry scl chemistry,biology nd physics u wan compare me wit them? Dts nt fair.
Dnt evn talk abt prctical cos SLT knw natin. A poly peep was tryin to prove to he knws modan me. I jst askd him d name of d vein he collects blood sample frm nd he was confused. Those of u sayin d mst impotant tin is prctical nd nt theory ar knw natin. If u dnt knw ur theory then u dnt knw d implication of mekin mistakes in prctical. I askd a poly peep why do u store sample fo Random blood suger in glucose container nd nt EDTA container. He said ar dsame nd kn giv corect result. I was shockd, i had to explain to him dt in storing d sample in edta container, glycolysis wl occur because d edta container does nt hav an antiquagulant to prevent glycolysis (break dwn of glucose) thereby u wunt get d glucose level u ar lukin for. D guy was amazed nd dis smtin i was tot in part two in a uni. So guys, relax. Poly kn neva be same wit uni

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by walezy14(m): 8:45am On Dec 31, 2013
Hnd vs B.sc palavar.
1.85% of 1st and 2nd class university graduates are ND Diplomate. I stand to be corrected.
2. A 400 level civil engineering student who couldnt recognised levelling instrument. Is applicable to 90% university graduates.
3. Hnd at ibadan poly organized structural design tutorial for part 4 and 5 civil engineering students of UI.
4. I glanced thru a friend M.sc year 2 handout in professional practice and procedure (q.s), out of 12 topics in the handout, i have been taught 11 topics at hnd 2 level. Very funny.
In Conclusion, hnd vs bsc is just certificate stigma.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kazyhm(m): 8:45am On Dec 31, 2013
thepathologist:
that is isolated case. course contents depend human resources. for example, in lautech,elect and elect department does not sound course content in electronics and some polytechnics have good lecturers in electronics.
Read d post I quoted vry well, u ll undastand y my post is personal
I'm tired of generalistn
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kazyhm(m): 8:50am On Dec 31, 2013
thepathologist:
Plz re-read d post I quoted, u ll undastand y mine is personal
I'm tired of generalising issues dat r personal
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by gbengress1: 8:51am On Dec 31, 2013
After running through several posts on this topic, some things were crystal clear;
1. The Op is an HND holder
2.HND holders majorly base their arguments on US standards and informal statistics.
Now to my contribution, it is rather unfortunate that most people just jump into illogical conclusions that polytechnic graduates perform better in ICAN and other accounting related professional exams without any official statistics.
For your information, best students in the university are mostly chartered before the completion 4year programmes in the university.
More so, most of you always give much credence to YABATECH accounting graduates to the extent of even saying they are better than university graduates. YABATECH students can testify to the fact that they have hosted two consecutive accounting competitions involving polytechnics and universities which universities have always emerged as the winner. The most funniest part of it is that, the top 3 schools in the competitions were always universities.
During my days in the uni, polytechnic school has never emerge as the winner of any accounting quiz competition.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kazyhm(m): 8:58am On Dec 31, 2013
walezy14: Hnd vs B.sc palavar.
1.85% of 1st and 2nd class university graduates are ND Diplomate. I stand to be corrected.
2. A 400 level civil engineering student who couldnt recognised levelling instrument. Is applicable to 90% university graduates.
3. Hnd at ibadan poly organized structural design tutorial for part 4 and 5 civil engineering students of UI.
4. I glanced thru a friend M.sc year 2 handout in professional practice and procedure (q.s), out of 12 topics in the handout, i have been taught 11 topics at hnd 2 level. Very funny.
In Conclusion, hnd vs bsc is just certificate stigma.
Dis is a well dressed lie (probably in a wedding gown)
Hw, whr, wen
R civil engrs surveyors ?
U rmind me of my D. E colleagues den
All of dem dn't even undastand d uni. system
Dey first crash wen dey face tough exam questns
Only our unconditional LOVE revived some of dem out of thr graves
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:02am On Dec 31, 2013
I think without an empirical evidence we will never get to the end of this. There is a difference btw what the poly and varsity learn or teach, agreed. But is this difference significant? That should be the basis. Now let's do a statistical test to establish if the difference btw HND and Bsc is significant enough to say that the HND is not up to the level of a Bsc. Let someone list all the courses from year 1 in say mech engineering to year 5 and all courses from ND1 to HND2 in mech eng'ng also. Let's also do same for accounting, then statistics. Atleast all these courses are offered in both poly and uni in nigeria. We can compare and later test for significance. How do u guys see it? I can help with courses in Bsc statistics and ND/HND Statistics. Who else can help out in mech eng, and accounting? From what i experienced in statistics in both schools, the difference is mostly in the pure maths courses taken. Uni do more maths courses while the poly do more stats courses. Infact there are some stats courses we didn't do inthe Bsc stats program but did in the HND Stats program. Funny as it may sound i had a Doctor and a prof as part time lecturers when i was in the polytechnic.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:26am On Dec 31, 2013
gbengress1: After running through several posts on this topic, some things were crystal clear;
2.HND holders majorly base their arguments on US standards and informal statistics.
Now to my contribution, it is rather unfortunate that most people just jump into illogical conclusions that polytechnic graduates perform better in ICAN and other accounting related professional exams without any official statistics.
For your information, best students in the university are mostly chartered before the completion 4year programmes in the university.
More so, most of you always give much credence to YABATECH accounting graduates to the extent of even saying they are better than university graduates. YABATECH students can testify to the fact that they have hosted two consecutive accounting competitions involving polytechnics and universities which universities have always emerged as the winner. The most funniest part of it is that, the top 3 schools in the competitions were always universities.
During my days in the uni, polytechnic school has never emerge as the winner of any accounting quiz competition.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:27am On Dec 31, 2013
gbengress1: After running through several posts on this topic, some things were crystal clear;
Point of correction, the OP holds HND and Bsc in statistics.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by aydrees09: 9:33am On Dec 31, 2013
thepathologist:
you are deceiving urself. worldwide hnd and bsc are equivalent. hnd holders can become directors and boss over bsc graduates.

Very soon , they will start studying MEDICINE in Poly . They would be equal then
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ajosegabriel(m): 9:36am On Dec 31, 2013
dejt4u: Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni
lolsss y don't u please ask people in there for what they do...than saying what you inherited....
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by ikennaya100(m): 9:38am On Dec 31, 2013
HND and Bsc Ar not the same no matter ur source. They meant to b technicians and technologist. I know most of u have nofin yet to do wit administration, so u may not know much. In analysis, their scheme/
curriculum of work is not same. Another thing is their teaching staffs! In polytechnics ur have Hnd , Bsc holders(2.2) as lectures. U can't find this class of lectures in universities. one question pls- Do professors and PhD holders lecture in poly. The gospel answer is no. if they do, that has to b on arrangement not permanent. if u talk about direct entry into uni, HND graduates Ar offered admission to year2 in uni. All these goes a long way to tell u that they Ar not equivalent or equal. So, I will enjoy those of u with HND to go for PGD in universities to bridge the gap.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply)

Ugandan Magistrate Caught Disguising As Woman To Write Law Exams For Girlfriend / Ahmed Bature, Nigerian Defence Academy Best Graduating Student (Photos) / How Students Receive Lectures At Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.