Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,938 members, 7,909,482 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 06:39 AM

Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( (2284 Views)

I Like Them Ugly / My Friends And My Sister Want To Snatch My Boyfriend : Advice / My Husband Flirts With My Friends And Have Them As Contacts On BBM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 4:56pm On Aug 08, 2008
If you met your boyfriend's friends and they were all players, as in the attitude, you've heard about some of their conquests before, and they were looking at you like you were a piece of meat.

Would you:

1. Leave your boyfriend, because there is a good chance he is too!

2. Stay with your boyfriend, because you believe in all honesty, he can hang around with a bad bunch but avoid being influenced.

Which?

For guys:

If you met your girlfriend's friends and they were a bunch you recognized on campus to have a reputation for sleeping around, wild orgy parties and basically dumping their boyfriends and spreading gossip about how bad the guys were (in bed).

Would you:

1. Leave your girlfriend, because you just realised that it was too good to be true, that she is no longer sleeping around and has changed for the better like she told you.

2. Stay with your girlfriend because, she's just so unique, that you trust she means it when she says, she only hangs around them because they have known each other for such a long time, and that they don't influence her at all, and it won't affect your relationship.

Which?

You see my point is, often people stay away from groups of people, but of course there must be an honest chance that someone is 'in the wrong group' if you put it. My opinion is that if the person is weak enough that peer pressure is too much and cannot leave the 'friends' then he/she is also too weak to be immune to their advice. I have noticed just sitting in a room of catty girls bitchin' about other girls, affects me, even though I think I can handle it, the words enter my head, and soon, when I see the girls, I also start having the same opinion about them.

It's hard, but you just gotta distance yourself from these people. None of that 'hanging out' thing, just keep it to showing up at parties to celebrate with them or if you're in the same class, revising together, because without knowing it, just hanging around these people will slowly shapen you into one of them.

I've been there, done that. That's why I truly believe, that if you want to know about a guy, check out his friends, they'll be honest because they're not dating you, and most likely your guy will have similar beliefs.

What do my fellow nairalanders think?

Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by tope2000(f): 4:58pm On Aug 08, 2008
Show me ur friend and i'll tell you who u are but not in all cases tho.
wudnt date a guy with bad reputations anyhoo
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by mecussey(m): 5:01pm On Aug 08, 2008
Though, these two questions are comparable; but you can't compare a man with a woman. You see, a matured man can handle that case very well, but a woman, I would advise to leave the guy unless otherwise
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by femzy(m): 5:04pm On Aug 08, 2008
topup; you too dey topup your posts, make them shorter grin grin
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 5:07pm On Aug 08, 2008
Here's a story:

- A guy I used to know.

He asked me why I wasn't interested in him, and I told him I wasn't interested in all the things he was interested in. He continued to tell me 'I'm not that bad' telling me that "I only started smoking a year ago, I asked him why, and he couldn't give me an answer" - I noted that, no answer (no depression, no previous addictions?) Hmmm, strange. Then I told him I wasn't as heavy a drinker like him (he had to have a drink every day) and he told me that he only drinks when he's with his friends, during their hanging out times (I noted that, both the fact that he had to drink everyday and did it because it was a social thing).
Then good ol' facebook comes in, and all his friends are there with pictures depicting girls kissing each other, drinking, underskirt pictures, wall posts saying 'are you ready to score tonight?' , now I now that all the 'I'm not like my friends lines' couldn't work, because it wasn't as if they were just distant friends, he would be in all these pictures, at the side, in the corner, smiling, though they'd be in the centre doing the 'bizznezz' he was still part of it, if you know what I mean.

Have you ever been judged because you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong crowd. I learnt this lesson as a young girl. Even my mum told me a story, of how some kids were calling a woman down the street 'aje' - witch, and the word went round to her mother about the group of children calling the woman 'aje' which included her. Though she denied and denied that she uttered the word, her mother still beat her (smacked her) because she has to have some responsibility, just saying 'I'm the good one' doesn't cut it, everybody in the gang will get treated the same.

Be careful people, we're not in highschool anymore, but all I'm saying is, if you want to be a great person, hang out with great people, because you will rarely lift people, you tend to sink to their level so why not rise with the good bunch??

Peace smiley

1 Like

Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2008
femzy:

topup; you too dey topup your posts, make them shorter grin grin

Ha ha, I know,
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 5:11pm On Aug 08, 2008
mecussey:

Though, these two questions are comparable; but you can't compare a man with a woman. You see, a matured man can handle that case very well, but a woman, I would advise to leave the guy unless otherwise

Please enlighten me further, what do you mean by a woman should leave a guy, but a guy should stay? Don't you think women and men can be equally vicious as players?
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by mecussey(m): 5:13pm On Aug 08, 2008
Top up, true; hang out with great people but there is still something to learn from the bad people. Though there is no time
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by mecussey(m): 5:18pm On Aug 08, 2008
@ Topup, women are more emotional, than men and likely to suffer in a relationship like that; than the man her shoes. I just hope you understand what I meant cause I don't like long statement. I can give you examples, if you re curious
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by mecussey(m): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2008
"Sorry, I meant than the man in her shoes"
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 5:37pm On Aug 08, 2008
mecussey:

@ Topup, women are more emotional, than men and likely to suffer in a relationship like that; than the man her shoes. I just hope you understand what I meant cause I don't like long statement. I can give you examples, if you re curious

Yes give examples please,

Do you mean on the issue of a sexual relationship, being used for sex is perceived to hurt a female more than a male?
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Tweek: 5:39pm On Aug 08, 2008
one thing I know is that a guy who has to follow what his friends do is not a mature man yet. second thing is that birds of the same feathers flock together. if u meet a bunch of people whose character counters yours strongly u'd be repelled. even if u force your self to stay with them u wouldn't find their company relaxing in the end u'd still move away. A friend once advised me thus: "if u want to know him better, go hang out with his friends and he" His friends are the mirrors that show his image. They don't care about u so they'd be themselves.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Tweek: 5:44pm On Aug 08, 2008
topup:

Yes give examples please,

Do you mean on the issue of a sexual relationship, being used for sex is perceived to hurt a female more than a male?

Men get emotionally hurt when they percieve that they've been used. First, they see it as a bruise to their ego. Secondly, if they liked the woman involved they experience a deep disappointment. But, unlike women they get over it fast and silently so u never know.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 5:54pm On Aug 08, 2008
Tweek:

Men get emotionally hurt when they percieve that they've been used. First, they see it as a bruise to their ego. Secondly, if they liked the woman involved they experience a deep disappointment. But, unlike women they get over it fast and silently so u never know.

Honestly, I believe the reason why guys seem to'get over it' so quickly and silently is because they never speak about it or dote on it, now this doesn't mean that they have truly gotten over it. My ex talked about the girl who hurt him, and the expression of pain on his face was still written, whilst I laugh when I realise my past relationship with a guy who left me for another woman, because I truly went through the pain, talked it out and though longer, I actually got over it. Men keep all their pain and hurt inside because it's even worse for your friends to see, you, a man, tear up or show that you have let a female get to you and make you vulnerable, that's the worst for a guy. Whilst a girl is more likely to be open and admit to all her friends, how much her ex hurt her and they comfort her, a guy will not do that, he would be too afraid to lost respect from his friends. I think girls get over it and guys tend to forget. Who knows, both techniques work, I guess smiley
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Tweek: 6:19pm On Aug 08, 2008
topup:

Honestly, I believe the reason why guys seem to'get over it' so quickly and silently is because they never speak about it or dote on it, now this doesn't mean that they have truly gotten over it. My ex talked about the girl who hurt him, and the expression of pain on his face was still written, whilst I laugh when I realise my past relationship with a guy who left me for another woman, because I truly went through the pain, talked it out and though longer, I actually got over it. Men keep all their pain and hurt inside because it's even worse for your friends to see, you, a man, tear up or show that you have let a female get to you and make you vulnerable, that's the worst for a guy. Whilst a girl is more likely to be open and admit to all her friends, how much her ex hurt her and they comfort her, a guy will not do that, he would be too afraid to lost respect from his friends. I think girls get over it and guys tend to forget. Who knows, both techniques work, I guess smiley

Guess we're lucky. smiley
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by iice(f): 12:30pm On Aug 10, 2008
Nah, i don't deal with the 'birds of a feather' thing. I know too many people who are unlike the people they hang out with (or friends whatever). Not saying that it's not true, but its not rare as it is maybe for others to encounter people who aren't that much like their friends.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Persona82(m): 1:07pm On Aug 10, 2008
There's bound to be some form of influence. Just know how much influence of them (the firends) is rubbing off on him/her

Story:
I was in a serious n considerably long relationship. My Closest friend was(still is) a true/real flirt who'd tell you "Nothing just dey there" my other friends were evenly spaced equal number in and not in a relationship. I know he wanted to be like me but only I and a few others knew. I was even percieved as to trying to be like him (by the concerned party).
Now I'm NOT in a relationship but he is going on strong; a record 11months!!! Unbelievable to most including myself. Funny how the rest of the crew seem to just be frolicking
Now I sense the feeling that his gf is being threatened by our current ways but then there's no real way of stating: don't worry u're in good hands and this is only so because you're IT.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by NubianQ(f): 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2008
Been there done that, its doesnt matter, you can still go back to being the old you. it takes remembering who u really are. bearing in mind u were responsible for your actions.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by forbidden5(m): 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2008
Topu up,

I think you need to be as flexible as water and air. I never want to get beaten. I go ahead to predict the end from the beginning.

In as much as there are chances that a guy may not be the group he hangs out with? Why in the world would you want to bend whom you are for something lower. Principles should be altered to be improved upwards and not turned down.

You Know who you are,
What you are made of
Dont Push It

Once a girl does not meet up what it is, then it is no use.

Bad company will always corrupt good manners either in a minute or for a millenium. In the end the good manner would have been contaminated, beware.

I think you are not a beauty queen-one that men dream of. If you are, then you would not worry
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by HRhotness(f): 1:36am On Aug 11, 2008
I think the quality of friends are a refection of who u are

Having said that, it is possible to have friends with whom u share little in common, it all has to do with an inner connection.

I believe anyone who allows themselves to change based on the firends they hang out with is innately insecure in themselves, seeking for acceptance. You can be you and still keep your friends (if they are really ur friends)

I have all sorts of friends, from the holier than thou types to the ones who are never welcome in most peoples homes. . . what attracts me to them is the person inside. . . I allow myself get influenced only if it is something positive or something I've previously decided I'm willing to indulge in if given the chance.

All that crap about smoking, drinking or doing drugs becos your friends do is all BS. We are all responsible for our own actions, and we make our own decisions, blaming ur lifestyle on the company u keep is a cheap escape in my book, if u dont like it in the first place, why do it?
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 11, 2008
All that crap about smoking, drinking or doing drugs because your friends do is all BS. We are all responsible for our own actions, and we make our own decisions, blaming your lifestyle on the company u keep is a cheap escape in my book, if u don't like it in the first place, why do it?

Exactly.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by jgirl3: 1:48am On Aug 11, 2008
Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are. This doesn't apply to me. I'm an individualistic person so I'm guessing that I'll expect my boyfriend to be individualistic too. I can't date a follow follow person. I need someone who's strong-willed yet gentle.
If i meet his friends and they are complete douche bags, i'm going to simply give him the benefit of a doubt and pray he's nothing like them .
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Hannibal: 1:49am On Aug 11, 2008
HR.hotness:

Having said that, it is possible to have friends with whom u share little in common, it all has to do with an inner connection.

I believe anyone who allows themselves to change based on the firends they hang out with is innately insecure in themselves, seeking for acceptance. You can be you and still keep your friends (if they are really your friends)

I have all sorts of friends, from the holier than thou types to the ones who are never welcome in most peoples homes. . . what attracts me to them is the person inside. . . I allow myself get influenced only if it is something positive or something I've previously decided I'm willing to indulge in if given the chance.

All that crap about smoking, drinking or doing drugs because your friends do is all BS. We are all responsible for our own actions, and we make our own decisions, blaming your lifestyle on the company u keep is a cheap escape in my book, if u don't like it in the first place, why do it?

I agree with u 110%

If it was down to the company i kept as a teenager. . . . .I should be in Guantanmo Bay with the keys thrown away.
I rolled with alcoholics, chain-smokers and dope dealers but then i had ma identity. . . .
We are all responsible for our own actions. . . . Only the ones low in self esteem give in to peer pressure.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Seun(m): 1:54am On Aug 11, 2008
The question is too complex for me. I can't even begin to fathom it.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 11, 2008
And that's why I carefully watch out for who I [b]choose [/b]as my friends.

There are too much miserable people on this planet. And you know what they say "Misery needs company".

Some ppl's life ti di yama yama, they want you to join in, so they won't be the only one crying cry
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by HRhotness(f): 3:03am On Aug 11, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

And that's why I carefully watch out for who I [b]choose [/b]as my friends.

There are too much miserable people on this planet. And you know what they say "Misery needs company".

Some people's life ti di yama yama, they want you to join in, so they won't be the only one crying cry

and when things dont go well, they blame u for it
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 7:23am On Aug 11, 2008
forbidden5:

Topu up,

I think you need to be as flexible as water and air. I never want to get beaten. I go ahead to predict the end from the beginning.

In as much as there are chances that a guy may not be the group he hangs out with? Why in the world would you want to bend whom you are for something lower. Principles should be altered to be improved upwards and not turned down.

You Know who you are,
What you are made of
Dont Push It

Once a girl does not meet up what it is, then it is no use.

Bad company will always corrupt good manners either in a minute or for a millenium. In the end the good manner would have been contaminated, beware.

I think you are not a beauty queen-one that men dream of. If you are, then you would not worry

I'm quite confused by this post, as I never said that I 'bend whom I am for something lower'. Yes, you are right it is good to know who you are. You see the direct story, is I went out with someone who claimed, they only smoked socially, and with their friends. He had these two guys who had girlfriends but cheated on them all the time, can you see where I'm going with this. I guess he couldn't fathom the idea so he left me, but he knew he could easily be influenced. I mean they we're the 'big' boys and to be honest, all his friends were players, and I think they all fed on each other's insecurities, they weren't the best looking guys on campus, just an ordinary bunch who loved to seek for 'preys' (urgh! that word again!).

I have been through the whole peer pressure thing in highschool, been there, done that, it does nothing for your character.

Still confused about this: "I think you are not a beauty queen-one that men dream of. If you are, then you would not worry" - you're saying that if I was good looking men would treat me right? If that's what you mean, let's take a look at Halle Berry, she's considered beautiful but her husband cheated on her, there are many cases, Please explain further,
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Bigtimmy: 9:10am On Aug 11, 2008
Porter@show me your friends & i will tell u who u are.This statement is true but not in all cases.I'm an example.Sum close pals drink & smoke & i'm mostly with dem and i remain unchanged in almost four years.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 11, 2008
@ topic

I once allowed my friend to influence me with her romantic views and I regret it. Next time I'll do it my way.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by tonyobj(m): 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2008
Very good scenerio Topup!! Nicely painted.
However, before anyone decides on what actions to take or not take, as the case may be. Ask yourself why you want to go out with that person?
For the girls, is it cos your heard he has a big member and knows how to use it or you heard he likes to spend so u don't mind being among the others and gradually work ur way to no 1 on the list?
For the boiz, are you dating her cos u like her or cos u know her friends like to have a wild time (though u r not sure if she is involved in this) and so u figure u get her hooked enuf on u, it could be a very good avenue to get some free pu$$¥. Hers and if u lucky, 1 or 2 other friends of hers?
If ur answer to any of the above questions is NO, then you know you want to be with the person for who he is or she is. Even when u know he/she plays. It's a mature world we live in. It's all about understanding wink
So stop looking at the friends and concentrate on your loved one. The more you consider the company around the more you give in to gossip, the less time you have for meaningful things, the less time you have to think for yourself and less you value your loved one.
No one is a saint.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by iice(f): 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2008
j-girl:

Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are. This doesn't apply to me. I'm an individualistic person so I'm guessing that I'll expect my boyfriend to be individualistic too. I can't date a follow follow person. I need someone who's strong-willed yet gentle.
If i meet his friends and they are complete douche bags, i'm going to simply give him the benefit of a doubt and pray he's nothing like them .

Concur cheesy

HR.hotness:

I believe anyone who allows themselves to change based on the firends they hang out with is innately insecure in themselves, seeking for acceptance. You can be you and still keep your friends (if they are really your friends)

Totally agree, i have that wide range of friends too.
Re: Influenced By My Friends And Now I'm Just Like Them :( by topup: 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2008
Yes I agree with most of what has been written above, however, I meant the innercircle. Not just friends, I make friends with everybody, I try not to judge people, however if his two closest friends are player 1 and player 2, then I can almost guarantee that he is player 3 (that rhymes tongue),

That's what happened to me, I bought all the 'I'm not like my friends crap' but when it came down to it, they either influenced him so much that it affected our relationship, or he was very much like them, that that affected our relationship. Eitherway, having jerks as your best friends says a lot about a person.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Danger Of Kissing While Driving. / I Don Tired Of Virgin / How Many Guys Can Wait.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.