Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,649 members, 7,951,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 09:45 PM

Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience (1738 Views)

I Was Hung Upside Down And Tortured For 3months: Victim Of Police Brutality(PIC) / Corper Loses Eye To Police Brutality / Naval Brutality At Sapele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 09, 2008
Sometimes I wonder if these Nigerian Policemen are actually fit for the job they do or just accepted by the Government on error basis.

The recent experience I had was @ about 5 PM yesterday when I went to Ikotun for ATM withdrawal.

I withdrew from the Intercontinental bank ATM and immediately I walked out of the bank, I saw a Policeman dressed in casuals approach me. The first thing I asked him was his ID card which he quickly brought out to me. I knew he was definitely on the shady Policemen that would just want to harrass any young person on the road in the name of 'stop and search'.
When he checked the contents of my pocket, he found the money I went to withdraw with me and was entised by the money he found there. He didn't find anything incriminating so he couldn't arrest me.

The next thing he asked for was my phone, when he got that, he was reading my text messages for any clue whatsoever he could use against me, unfortunately he found non. Instead of him to return my phone to me and let me go, he kept on scattering the settings of my mobile phone like the illeterate he is, not knowing how to handle a camera phone and all. Then I said to him: Oga, since you've searched everything with me, can I go now? He kept on searching my phone then I said to myself: what kind of embarassment is this?
The next thing he did was to tell me I would find out when I got into the station !shocked I was amazed as he was walking away from me and going into the Police station. I quickly followed him and asked him to return my phone and he refused, telling me I had no manners! angry sad I told him he had no right to arrest without any criminal proof and he slapped me, without much hesitation, I punched the motherfucker in the chest! grin He became afraid and couldn't lay a finger on me. Another policeman came to his rescue and wanted to drag me by the pants as if I was a criminal or somn and he attempted to slap me too, that was when I calmed down and asked them to leave me alone, I walked into the Ikotun Police station like the 'Gentleman'  grin I was and I was taken to one of the offices there.

They knew I was learned enough to know my rights, so they couldn't ask me to write a statement nor detain me. They took a little time searching me allover again and they were asking foolish questions like I was a fraudster. They took down some few notes which had no relevance to my arrest.
When I started blowing grammer grin, the Elderly policeman called me to the side and practically begged me to give them some money, telling me long story. I had important things to do at home and I had spent over 2 hours there already.

I ended up releasing 2k to them and the goats were even fighting over the money grin
They won't protect people, they would rather hurt. This was my experience embarassed
Re: Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by brownbonno(m): 1:12pm On Aug 09, 2008
Contact the Police and tell them your story.Just a way to create awareness among the Police that the days of ignorance and harassment is over.
http://www.npf.gov.ng/index.php?meat=8
Re: Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by kenflipper(m): 1:59pm On Aug 09, 2008
Sorry to hear ur experience its fustrating, however knowing the kind of police force in nigeria you should have showed restraint and followed him to the station without questions on gettin to the station since there was nothing incriminating on u, you should have held your ground and not given a dime out. The best way to deal with Nigerian police man is to have enough time for them. Among the lot in the station, one of their own would be fair to you and speakout in your favor.
Re: Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by ty4real(m): 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2008
brownbonno:

Contact the Police and tell them your story.Just a way to create awareness among the Police that the days of ignorance and harassment is over.
http://www.npf.gov.ng/index.php?meat=8

I hope it is not the same set of crooks that are going to take his story and just delete it cause the corruption is right from the Top grin grin

@Jassie!
That Ikotun/Cele bustop na one kain side that I dont fancy to go withdraw money using ATM,All the banks are facing the road with their ATM machine conspicuosly standing right in front of their building where any rogue going can see one withdrawing but that would not have been a problem if not for the corrupt system that is on ground.You can Imagine if a police man can do that what if a civilian does it who will one run to for assistance!God help us all!
Re: Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by orobski(m): 2:32pm On Aug 09, 2008
police i hate them with passion infact i love my shit than them they are never sincere they are theives criminals worse than devil they are just not it! i cannot do any thing with them in this life or the hereafter . They are the same recently a cousin of mine in ondo also had a bitter experience ( i stand to be correccted if any one has had a good experience with them) my cousin schools in futa it so much happened that he had to charge his foneat the next compound to his they came in their usually manner rounded everybody up took them to SARS in ondo and that was just the beginning of his travails
Re: Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by funkybaby(f): 3:40pm On Aug 09, 2008
orobski:

police i hate them with passion infact i love my shit than them they are never sincere they are theives criminals worse than devil they are just not it! i cannot do any thing with them in this life or the hereafter . They are the same recently a cousin of mine in ondo also had a bitter experience ( i stand to be correccted if any one has had a good experience with them) my cousin schools in futa it so much happened that he had to charge his foneat the next compound to his they came in their usually manner rounded everybody up took them to SARS in ondo and that was just the beginning of his travails

When it comes to the highlighted issue, policemen is ondo state are one of the worst in Nigeria. I thought they had stopped this practice of picking up young innocent people on the road/houses and then taking them to that their dreaded Special Anti Robbery Squad Office. What ever happened to the 'nearest/normal' police station? Must it always be that awful SARS??

I have a relative that suffered similiar fate some years ago before gsm services got to ondo. Was on his way home returning from a party in a convoy with his friends before midnight only for them to be stopped by policemen and taken to SARS where they languished for days before they where finally located by family/friends. They had horror stories to tell at the end of their ordeal.

@poster
Sorry oh. I agree with brownbono. Reporting such errant officers can help in restoring a little sanity to the system. If you have the time you could send an email/lodge a complaint with Frank Mba (NPF PRO). grin Sounds funny but i wont be surprised if serious action is taken by their superiors and the DPO will be directed to call his boys to order.
Re: Police Brutality/injustice~ My Experience by orobski(m): 3:28am On Oct 15, 2008
Let not disturb ourself with their case , their case is finished, abi no bi police , they are not just it
That their senior officer that you want to report to what gives you the impression he is not part of them .Dont be surprised that after reporting you will arrested and charged for defamation of character of an officer of the law and bla blah blah, you don forget , ha ba so soon say even dem oga pata pata as in the highest of them all who is suppose to be an icon of good thing was charged for corruption .so my dear what do you expect, or you have forgotten the issue of kenny martins police equipment fund one it is them just forget it , police, when you them guy pick race

(1) (Reply)

Man Forced To Marry Cow Faints At Wedding / Children Abducted By Nanny Reportedly Found In Shagamu / Police Man Shoots Driver Dead While Chasing Him In Lekki,Lagos(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.