Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,382 members, 7,978,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:40 PM

'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora (27666 Views)

Poll: Should Nigerians abroad take this call seriously?

Yes: 30% (27 votes)
No: 70% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

Buni Yadi Residents Return Home Years After Boko Haram Attacks / Kill PDP Before It Kills All Of Us, Buhari Charges Nigerians / 2015: Vote Out Incompetent Leaders, Kumuyi Charges Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by maree7(f): 5:59am On Aug 22, 2008
@ engineerd
so u decided to quit, if somebody didn't sacrifice and establish wher u are at right now , what would u be enjoyin? grin

@ topic
nothing good comes easy , and anything that comes easy is eventually not good.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by dejiariyo: 6:36am On Aug 22, 2008
KNOW ONE WANNA RETURN HOME ? HMMMMMMMMM WE KEEP LOOSING GENERATIONS UPON GENERATIONS,I HOPE WE CAN ALL OPEN OUR BRAINS,EVERYONE WANNA STAY IN A WHITES MANS LAND THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT THIS PLACE THEY ARE RUNNING TO HAVE GONE THRU WHATS NIGERIA IS GOING THRU ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.
AM SORRY FOR THE COUNTRY THOUGH COS THE GENERATION THAT IS MEANT TO BUILD THE COUNTRY IS OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY,WE ARE ALL OVER THE WORLD BUILDING SOMEONE ELSE COUNTRY AND THEN U CONTINUE TO COMPARE NIGERIA TO THOSE COUNTRIES,I KNOW ONE DAY THINGS WILL BE BETTER BUT NOT WITH THIS KIND OF MIND-SET,EVERYONE WANTS SOMEONE TO DO THINGS FOR THEM WHILE THEY ARE NOT READY TO DO SAME,I DONT SEE ANYTHING WRONG IN WHAT FASHOLA IS SAYING,AFTER ALL THE CHINNESE IN DIASPORA WENT BACK HOME TO BUILD CHINA AND THEY DONT HAVE THE SAME MINDSET U GUYS ALL HAVE.THE MORE U RUN TO ANOTHER MANS COUNTRY THE MORE THE COUNTRY GET WORSE,IMAGINE IF ITS WAS THE WHITES MEN HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM WE HAVING WILL THEY RUN TO ANOTHER COUNTRY OR WILL THEY STAY IN THIER COUNTRY AND BUILD IT.

I DONT HAVE PROBLEM WITH PPLE WHO DECIDED TO STAY PUT AND DIE IN ANOTHER MANS COUNTRY THATS THIER CUP OF TEA BUT I DONT THINK THEY ARE IN ANY MORAL POSITION TO JUDGE THE PPLE WHO ARE BOLD ENOUGH TO GO BACK HOME AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.WE ALL NEED IDEAS TO MAKE THE COUNTRY GROW AND NOT STAY AWAY FROM THE COUNTRY.THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA IS THAT WE DONT HAVE ANY STRUCTURE OR PLAN TO RUN IT.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 22, 2008
i have not quit or anything, the fact still remains, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME, Seriously when u think about it, we need divine intervention in Nigeria, so that the majority can just say at one point, we need to start doing things differently, its sad, Naija has so much potential, question is when are we going to say enough is enough with the old ways?? Thats the million dollar question. Besides God and Family, to me the next thing is my Love for my country Nigeria, so how can i quit?? even if i want to.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by janami(f): 9:05am On Aug 22, 2008
i once went for a job interview in a private coy and on the panel of those to interview me was this small girl like that, i mean really young and i was like"chai, see my life" The girlis successful in her own right, forget connections, she made it there through her own efforts. Her writing efforts.
Nigeria has loads of opportunities. Everything is by God's grace.
Everyone to his own opinion, but my strong belief is that if i cannot make it in nigeria, i cannot make it anywhere. (Better to make the money here and go for vacations there, living like a queen than to go there penniless washing toilets tongue)
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by dudubobo1: 9:12am On Aug 22, 2008
Some are on the way home. . .

UK Asylum Statistics: 2nd Quarter (April/May June ) 2008

Control of Immigration: quarterly statistical summary, UK April 2008 - June 2008
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/immigration-asylum-stats.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Persons detained solely under Immigration Act powers (Detention)

by place of detention as at 28th June 2008

* A total of 2,315 persons were detained. (90% of capacity)

* 2,240 were held at Immigration Service Removal Centres and 75 at Immigration Short Term Holding Facilities.

* 84 per cent of asylum detainees were male.

* 1,660 persons who had sought asylum at some stage were being detained in the UK solely under Immigration Act powers. This accounted for 72 per cent of all detainees.

* 55 people detained solely under Immigration Act powers were recorded as being less than 18 years old. 40 of these had been in detention for less than 29 days and 15 for between 29 days and two months.

Highest 10 Nationalities detained
Nigeria 300 (Asylum seekers 180)
China 195 (Asylum seekers 160)
Jamaica 140 (Asylum seekers 75)
Pakistan 120 (Asylum seekers 95)
Iraq 100 (Asylum seekers 90)
Afghanistan 95 (Asylum seekers 90)
Iran 90 (Asylum seekers 80)
Sri Lanka 85 (Asylum seekers 80)
Somalia 80 (Asylum seekers 50)
Ghana 70 (Asylum seekers 30)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enforcement & Compliance (Removals)

* In Q2 2008, 15,470 persons were removed, departed voluntarily or left under assisted returns from the UK, similar to Q2 2007 (15,390).

* Of those removed, departing voluntarily and leaving under assisted returns in Q2 2008, 7,250 persons were initially refused entry at port (3 per cent fewer than in Q2 2007), 7,190 persons were enforced removals and voluntary departures after enforcement action had been initiated (9 per cent higher than in Q2 2007), and 1,030 persons left under Assisted Voluntary Return Programmes (22 per cent fewer than in Q2 2007).

* In Q2 2008, 2,745 principal asylum applicants were removed, departed voluntarily or left under assisted returns from the UK, 18 per cent fewer than in Q2 2007 (3,355).

* Including dependants, 2,930 asylum seekers were removed, departed voluntarily or left under assisted returns from the UK in Q2 2008, 20 per cent fewer than in Q2 2007 (3,655).

* 680 asylum seekers left under Assisted Voluntary Return schemes in Q2 2008 (620 principal applicants and 60 dependants), 23 per cent of the 2,930 total for the quarter.

Highest 10 Nationalities Removed (Refused sanctuary)
Afghanistan 300
Iraq 205
Turkey 195
China 185
Pakistan 175
Nigeria 150
India 135
Iran 135
Eritrea 95
Bangladesh 85

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Asylum Applications Quarter 2 (Q2), April/May/June 2008

* The number of applications for asylum in the UK, excluding dependants, increased by 15 per cent in Q2 2008 (5,720) compared with Q2 2007 (4,960).

* Including dependants, the number of applications to the UK increased by 13 per cent in Q2 2008 (6,840) compared with Q2 2007 (6,030).

Research Developments & Statistics (RDS)
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/immigration-asylum-stats.html
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by eminemkayc: 9:46am On Aug 22, 2008
i once went for a job interview in a private coy and on the panel of those to interview me was this small girl like that, i mean really young and i was like"chai, see my life" The girlis successful in her own right, forget connections, she made it there through her own efforts. Her writing efforts.
Everyone to his own opinion, but my strong belief is that if i cannot make it in nigeria, i cannot make it anywhere. (Better to make the money here and go for vacations there, living like a queen than to go there penniless washing toilets Tongue

SWEETHEART U REALLY MADE A PLAUSIBLE POINT HERE!! MOST NIGERIAN WHO CLAIM TO BE WORKING IN U.K FOR YEARS DNT HAVE ANYTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!! U DONT SAVE OUT THERE sad sad BUT PICKING A GOOD JOB IN NAIJA WOULD TRANSFORM UR FORTUNES IN NO TIME. WE ONLY GO THERE TO VISIT AND THATS IT!! grin grin grin
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by bigniyi(m): 10:40am On Aug 22, 2008
Tell Mr Governor make he no talk am again. They should go & find a way of changing d whole policemen we have in Nigeria.
Abi police don stop to dey run for armed robbers & no dey collect bribe (note:dey deliver for dpo's in d office)? Abeg. Just come & see british police in action.
I hope naija don't share Electricity any more? Do ppl still shit under bridge? So many things are there 4 u to tackle,u are calling us to come & compound issues with who are struggling. I beg tell am i say "make he shut up sir"
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by osasp(m): 11:17am On Aug 22, 2008
if the electricity can be stabilised, lord knows il come home
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 11:23am On Aug 22, 2008
janami:

Everyone to his own opinion, but my strong belief is that if i cannot make it in nigeria, i cannot make it anywhere. (Better to make the money here and go for vacations there, living like a queen than to go there penniless washing toilets tongue)

Hmmm,  I wonder what Nigeria will be like if more people went back home to find out how to make it FOR THEMSELVES. SEE this is currently the problem. We have 100's more who have a ME MENTALITY vs a COMMUNITY mentality in Nigeria and that is the first reason why the place is in ruins and what not. You speak of a girl who made it in Nigeria interviewing you and I wonder if you realize that making it in Nigeria is not necessarily the question here. I don't think it has ever been the question. There are tons of opportunities for advancement in Nigeria and that has been the case from the get go. However, the case has been that the ME MENTALITY people have basically colonized over 90% of the Nigerian economy and society to the extent that there is barely space for people who are just in to advance the place. People get killed cause of deals they make or ideas they put forward, by people who feel their livelihood is threatened in one way or the other by these others. That is the case here. Opportunities boku but the setting is not right for those who want to and have in the past tried to push things forward and out, away from the status quo.

I am not sure Fashola is asking for people to come back to Nigeria to make it for themselves ( I mean unless the man has gone mad), I think he is instead asking for people who are looking to IMPACT THE COMMUNITY to come back and put their share in to make things better for others. If 1 million ME CENTERED NIGERIANS entered that Lagos today, do you really think Fashola himself will be able to, in the next 3 years, truly speak of genuine progress for the people of lagos? We already have tons of ME CENTERED Lagos folks out there and you should see the sight when you step in the state. Compared to Lagos 10 years ago, that gap has ridiculously widened to a point that even I expect a break will happen soon if care is not taken.

"WHEN YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME"
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by fire4fire: 11:40am On Aug 22, 2008
It’s irritating sometimes when you see supposedly educated people especially those in the Diaspora making silly comments about their motherland, as if to say Oyibo land is heaven on earth. We all know about the many problems we have as a nation but we should'nt always run down the country at any slightest conversation.

There is no country that doesn’t have its ups and downs. Its not enough to criticize about no light, no water, armed robbers etc but what have you contributed to the development of the country.The Government cannot do it alone,but needs the collective effort of all to make a better Nigeria.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 22, 2008
Nigeria; a failed project and home of many retards. cool
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by fire4fire: 11:52am On Aug 22, 2008
nuzo:

Nigeria; a failed project and home of many retards. cool

Because we dont have regard for our country, other nationals join this forum to insult and make a mockery of us.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 11:55am On Aug 22, 2008
fire4fire:

Because we don't have regard for our country, other nationals join this forum to insult and make a mockery of us.

YES,  YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! You have NAILED the reason why Nigeria is in Shambles. The Reason why 75 million people in Nigeria are considered VERY POOR, living on less than a dollar a day, is cause people do not say NICE THINGS ENOUGH about NIgeria. The fact that many more poor are out there struggling, generation to generation, even with the vast oil reserves in Nigeria, is simple a result of not enough Nigerians out there THINKING HAPPY THOUGHTS AND SAYING WONDERFUL THINGS about NIgeria. You are to be praised for the solution you propose here!! From what you have stated so far, if we start to sing "SWEET" songs and praises of NIgeria, the poor will be poor no more and the Nigerian government will be magically transformed into the best on the planet!! BRILLIANT!!!!
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 22, 2008
lol
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ssRhino: 12:52pm On Aug 22, 2008
I am yet to understand what is there to praise NIgeria for, this is a nation that has failed everyone, even the leaders have failed themselves, a nation where politics has become if i cant be the leader, i will kill the oponents, a nation where a graduate cant get a job to help the family that helped them thru school, or lemme see, we shd come back home and join the aristos, cos the female students will have to phuck the leaders to be able to finish education, so sad.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by kalmebad(f): 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2008
U all has spoken well

Let me react a little
janami:

I will rather wash that toilet over there than here. atleast more managed country and good enviroment.

Uncle Fash should stop crying wolf.
what should they come back to do? what good hospital do we have so far for them to come and work in? When we have not even created enuf job opportunities for the youths who crave fevently for it.
May be when uncle Fash put a lot of things in place, only then can his voice be heard.
What life does the country of our's have to offer us? bad road/delapidated? good wtaer, eletricity? or security? how many police and army officer's guide us as they guide them?
Or wil he keep enjoying all this benefit within his govt house while he make his clarion call?

Let him and his cohorts lead us by example and also by bringing back their kids home to come and school here rather than in foreign Universities, then we will kwn that Charity has really begin at home. They day Fashola and other ruling Governors stopped using the medical facilties abroad, the time we will yearn to their call, but as much as things are not done properly, he will not only cry wolf, he will cry fowl and  who kwns wat more.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ssRhino: 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2008
kalmebad:

You all has spoken well

Let me react a little
I will rather wash that toilet over there than here. atleast more managed country and good enviroment.

Uncle Fash should stop crying wolf.
what should they come back to do? what good hospital do we have so far for them to come and work in? When we have not even created enough job opportunities for the youths who crave fevently for it.
May be when uncle Fash put a lot of things in place, only then can his voice be heard.
What life does the country of our's have to offer us? bad road/delapidated? good wtaer, eletricity? or security? how many police and army officer's guide us as they guide them?
Or wil he keep enjoying all this benefit within his govt house while he make his clarion call?

Let him and his cohorts lead us by example and also by bringing back their kids home to come and school here rather than in foreign Universities, then we will kwn that Charity has really begin at home. They day Fashola and other ruling Governors stopped using the medical facilties abroad, the time we will yearn to their call, but as much as things are not done properly, he will not only cry wolf, he will cry fowl and who kwns what more.

what even amazes me is the fact that he is demolishing homes i heard in lagos, and yet no plan to make it better, and yet he wants more pple to come home and face same situation.
pple will surely come home, but not at his calls.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by seyibrown(f): 1:22pm On Aug 22, 2008
Fashola is not talking about those of them on this forum - those who flip burgers and sweep the streets - what do those ones want to contribute to Nigeria anyway? Nothing - because they are useless to the nation and to themselves - he is talking about professionals to come and tap into the good in Nigeria - not calling on one silly boy or girl out there in London to come back home when he/she gat nothing to contribute to the development of the country.

@Lepashandi

Not everyone has it as good as you. I bet if you were still one of those hundreds of thousands looking for a job after University in Nigeria, You wouldn't think or talk the way you do.

Most Nigerians in diaspora who complain about the situation in Nigeria would love to see the situation change, corruption basically and nothing, nothing at all works. Yes, all countries have their own problems, but it would be wonderful to see a group of leaders who want real change in Nigeria, who care about Nigeria. The problem is our leaders don't. They care about their pockets.

I, like many others in diaspora, am sure want to contribute to moving these country forward. The situation in Nigeria currently doesn't allow us to do something. I am still young and look forward to being able to make a difference in Nigeria when the time comes.

It riles me to hear you insult honest hardworking people. Would you rather they stayed back home and joined the bandwagon of corrupt politicians and office holders or stay back to encourage them.

LEPASHANDI, WITH YOUR MASTERS DEGREE IN EDINBURGH, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR NIGERIA SO FAR? WHAT DIFFERENCE HAVE YOU MADE IN THE LIVES OF THOSE AROUND YOU?(NOT YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY) CAN YOU GIVE ME A BRIEF HISTORY ABOUT YOUR FAMILY? I AM ALSO VERY INTERESTED IN HOW YOU FUNDED YOU EDINBURGH MASTERS DEGREE.
CAN YOU SAY THAT YOU & YOUR FAMILY HAVE NOT CONTRIBUTED NEGATIVELY TO NIGERIA?

Can you please also forward the pics on this link to your Gov? : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-96244.0.html   Can you please explain to me, why in the midst of plenty, why those kids are in that place? Did you attend such schools, do your kids?

I will really appreciate very honest answers.

cc:  dedeyuim@yahoo.co.uk (just to ensure you get this post)
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by LeMoor(m): 1:36pm On Aug 22, 2008
People should not be blamed for whatever decisions they make with regards to moving back to Nigeria.
It is a whole host of factors. Fact is, some people will move back, some wont. Some people are doing a lot better in the diaspora than they did when they were in Nigeria. And some people are doing a lot better in Niaja than they ever did whilst living in diaspora. Its all relative and different factors will drive those decisions, no matter how ill-informed the decisions will seem to the bystander

Fact - Life is hard everywhere (in Nigeria, UK or America
Fact - Not everyone in Nigeria has a good job.
Fact - Not everyone in diaspora is cleaning streets and working in a deadend job
Fact - Life is hard for an immigrant without the right papers (UK or us) is hard

Based on all this, everyone will make his decision to return/stay/leave Nigeria based one their personal circumstances. You will be amazed at how basic the average human needs are. If the average individual/graduate/worker (degree or no degree) can have at least a decent life, then I am sure people wont be sleeping at the embassies desperate to leave Nigeria. I personally do not believe everyone that leaves or attempts to leave hates the country, most just want a better life. The definition of what constitutes a better life is relative and then becomes subject to interpretation. I have a graduate friend from Nigeria who job hunted for 3yrs and couldn't get a job, he gets to the UK, and Thur sheer dint of hardwork, he has bought a house, is raising a family and sending money to his mom who is still being owed money for contracts done for her state govt. If you ask him, his definition of a better life is different and he has found it. While some would look down n the type of job he is doing, he rests on the fact that the job at least pays his bills and gives him a minimum standard of life he couldn't afford back home.
On the flipside, i know bankers who have quit their jobs only to get to the UK and realise none would recognize their level of achievements and they have to downgrade to take jobs they wouldn't even do in naija.
My point is, it is all relative. There are people in Nigeria doing honest work and doing very well, but in the same vein their are people in diaspora doing very well.

It is hard to make  a case to comeback to Nigeria, and use such dumb excuses that foreigners are reaping where Nigerians should be reaping
This excuse angers me because 1. Foreigners in Nigeria get better treatment than Nigerians
2. The Government doesn't have to wait for Nigerians in Diaspora to come and reap these benefits, you have more Nigerians at home than in diaspora, who can also benefit but are not benefiting. You have a handful of graduates who need jobs, who have brains and if given the same circumstances will outperform Nigerians in Diaspora, they should be given a chance.

A fully qualified doctor in the US can earn as much as 180 - $200k salary, as a freshly qualified resident. You Will be hard pressed to see someone like that come and look for a job in Nigeria, unless they are coming to setup their own practice.

There are IT professionals that earn 70-100dollars per hr depending on the specialization. Add that to the quality of life you would get, then a move back to naiaj might not be as alluring as it seems. Regardless of being offered 15million by banks in Nigeria.

Like lepashandy noted, I also know people who have moved back to Nigeria to take up good lucrative positions, but in that same breath, i know pple who have returned again after taking those initial decision.

Personally, I hate the term diasporan and i think it is dubious and separatist. As for me, I would love to move back to Nigeria, but I am not ready yet. Will i do so sometime in the future? probably, when I am less dependent on others on more dependent on myself to provide my daily bread,

All I will ask the governors and co, asking people to move back home is, why is it that the 1st mission most politicians embark on once they get into government is to buy houses in diaspora and have the children leave the country to school, if they really believed so much in the system,
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 22, 2008
come back home and do wat? undecided

oh ok i know . . . . .come back home and die
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by dudubobo1: 1:52pm On Aug 22, 2008
@Lepashadi, calm down o. I also studied in Scotland and I'm not ready to go back to naija yet. Some people will go back but not everyone is ready to go back. Everyone is at a different stage in their lives.
My wife wanted us to stay in naija but she decided that we should stay here after being in naija for only 3 months and seeing the way things are done there. Let's face it, it things are good nobody needs to be told to return to their country.

If Governor will not be too busy enforcing Chairmen on Councils and will rather put proper infrasctrucures in place, people will start returning home.

i'm used to jumping in the car at any time of the day or night; why would I want to go to live in a place where I will start living like a prisoner just for fear of armed robbers? or a place where I need generators to power electricity? let's be realistic; if you are used to driving BMW, you're not likely to enjoy driving a banger suddenly and you are not likely to make a conscious decision to dump your BMW and get a banger.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by slyk2(m): 1:58pm On Aug 22, 2008
Its good to call a spead a spead!

Ask not of what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
Sending few dollars or ponuds can never solve the problem.

Even as a developing nation, there is more to do here and more to earn.
Dont forget, you equally pay less tax!
cheesy wink cool kiss cool grin cheesy smiley
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by onyinye2(f): 2:01pm On Aug 22, 2008
If i hear JFK's quote one mo' gain, i don't know what im going to do. Since you guys are implying for folk to come back to Nigeria, why not quote something from Nigeria?
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2008
those of you ,who r interested in going back home,bye bye ooo,i wish u all d best,but as for me go back and do wat?if not to die wt all d insecurities in naija

abeg make i hear word angry
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ssRhino: 2:44pm On Aug 22, 2008
sly-k:

Its good to call a spead a spead!

Ask not of what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
Sending few dollars or ponuds can never solve the problem.

Even as a developing nation, there is more to do here and more to earn.
Dont forget, you equally pay less tax!
cheesy wink cool kiss cool grin cheesy smiley

lemme give u a scenerio, in the western world, i work with applications, so there is this software that is great for budgeting, it will break down the budget to the last kobo if you design it so, what it does is, it will take all the money and based on how u have trained the intelligence of the applcation, it will destribute the money and you can on a single click on the button will generate a report and show u what u have spent on, i mean to the last cent, so in case of nija, last kobo, and u cld drill down into it and see what happened, it flags if you over spend and underspend.
I called the nigerian govt and wanna introduce such, i was told Nigeria is not ready for such, now tell me why? I will tell you why, it is all cos it will show the a$$ of all the fools that are stealing the money, so please tell me what else cld be done, when a nation is wallowing in stealing the money and making ur kids and my kids pay for it.
My friend, Nigeria has a long way to go, but me and you dont, cos at most at 150 years of age, we will kaput, so i rather use my energy while i have it to make something for me, myself and my family,a nd help those that needs it, and not force a nation to leave their stupidity.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ayomifull(f): 3:11pm On Aug 22, 2008
Le Moor:

People should not be blamed for whatever decisions they make with regards to moving back to Nigeria.
It is a whole host of factors. Fact is, some people will move back, some wont. Some people are doing a lot better in the diaspora than they did when they were in Nigeria. And some people are doing a lot better in Niaja than they ever did whilst living in diaspora. Its all relative and different factors will drive those decisions, no matter how ill-informed the decisions will seem to the bystander

Fact - Life is hard everywhere (in Nigeria, UK or America
Fact - Not everyone in Nigeria has a good job.
Fact - Not everyone in diaspora is cleaning streets and working in a deadend job
Fact - Life is hard for an immigrant without the right papers (UK or us) is hard

Based on all this, everyone will make his decision to return/stay/leave Nigeria based one their personal circumstances. You will be amazed at how basic the average human needs are. If the average individual/graduate/worker (degree or no degree) can have at least a decent life, then I am sure people wont be sleeping at the embassies desperate to leave Nigeria. I personally do not believe everyone that leaves or attempts to leave hates the country, most just want a better life. The definition of what constitutes a better life is relative and then becomes subject to interpretation. I have a graduate friend from Nigeria who job hunted for 3yrs and couldn't get a job, he gets to the UK, and Thur sheer dint of hardwork, he has bought a house, is raising a family and sending money to his mom who is still being owed money for contracts done for her state govt. If you ask him, his definition of a better life is different and he has found it. While some would look down n the type of job he is doing, he rests on the fact that the job at least pays his bills and gives him a minimum standard of life he couldn't afford back home.
On the flipside, i know bankers who have quit their jobs only to get to the UK and realise none would recognize their level of achievements and they have to downgrade to take jobs they wouldn't even do in naija.
My point is, it is all relative. There are people in Nigeria doing honest work and doing very well, but in the same vein their are people in diaspora doing very well.

It is hard to make a case to comeback to Nigeria, and use such dumb excuses that foreigners are reaping where Nigerians should be reaping
This excuse angers me because 1. Foreigners in Nigeria get better treatment than Nigerians
2. The Government doesn't have to wait for Nigerians in Diaspora to come and reap these benefits, you have more Nigerians at home than in diaspora, who can also benefit but are not benefiting. You have a handful of graduates who need jobs, who have brains and if given the same circumstances will outperform Nigerians in Diaspora, they should be given a chance.

A fully qualified doctor in the US can earn as much as 180 - $200k salary, as a freshly qualified resident. You Will be hard pressed to see someone like that come and look for a job in Nigeria, unless they are coming to setup their own practice.

There are IT professionals that earn 70-100dollars per hr depending on the specialization. Add that to the quality of life you would get, then a move back to naiaj might not be as alluring as it seems. Regardless of being offered 15million by banks in Nigeria.

Like lepashandy noted, I also know people who have moved back to Nigeria to take up good lucrative positions, but in that same breath, i know people who have returned again after taking those initial decision.

Personally, I hate the term diasporan and i think it is dubious and separatist. As for me, I would love to move back to Nigeria, but I am not ready yet. Will i do so sometime in the future? probably, when I am less dependent on others on more dependent on myself to provide my daily bread,

All I will ask the governors and co, asking people to move back home is, why is it that the 1st mission most politicians embark on once they get into government is to buy houses in diaspora and have the children leave the country to school, if they really believed so much in the system,

Good one there man!
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by seyibrown(f): 3:14pm On Aug 22, 2008
@ $$$Rhino

Our present leaders are not interested in transparency. They have got millions of skeletons in their cupboard. Why would they want every kobo spent to be accounted for?

Until there is a complete overhaul of this present system of governance, there will never be transparency, and that is just where we need to start from.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by solajacobs(m): 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2008
Come back come do wetin?
Anyway, them no kuku no wetin poor man dey suffer.
I know that one day, people will return home to a new Nigeria but when?
God bless our country Nigeria.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ssRhino: 3:19pm On Aug 22, 2008
seyibrown:

@ $$$Rhino

Our present leaders are not interested in transparency. They have got millions of skeletons in their cupboard. Why would they want every kobo spent to be accounted for?

So like the other guy said, why would someone wanna go back to nigeria then, till u have what it takes to establish your own business, and stay on your own and contract your service out, and even at that, tell me a nation that will survive economically without
1~~~ good roads
2~~~ no electricity, even a small restaurant depends on generator and deisel, how will they make good profit to stay in buz.
3~~~ security, cos u have to leave office fast, be4 the underworld guys catch up to you
4~~~ good water
5~~~ no good financing power.

Just really sad, i am sure so many pple will wanna go back home, cos home is sweet, always have fun when i go there, but to stay is not same as visiting.
I will surely go back and stay soon, but like i said, not at the call of those fools called leaders.
Most of the leaders leave nigeria for just a li headache check up.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by ayomifull(f): 3:24pm On Aug 22, 2008
mesmya:

@ engineerd
so u decided to quit,  if somebody didn't sacrifice and establish wher u are at right now ,  what would u be enjoyin?    
abeg make i hear word angry

Some of those people also ran away from their countries in those days and only returned when the country got better. My landlord (Irish) told me himself he and his friends ran to American from Ireland in those days and only returned when Ireland became habitable and he brought the money he made to establish himself and because his country was not been governed by corrupt and selfish people like we have in Nigeria his business succeeded. So running away from unsuitable situation has been since time immemorial and not just peculiar to Nigerians alone. Who does not want to live in his/her country if what you can get elsewhere is available in his/her own country.

People came abroad in those days study and returned home on their own because the country was ok so let them ask why people now want to die abroad rather than come back home, if that can be answered and the reason addressed no one will be compelled b4 packing their bags.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by lepashandi: 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2008
engineerd:

yeah rite! i guarantee u Nigeria is a failed project! At least i know i wont see a better Nigeria in my life time if things and people still have the same ideology, our current state has become a way of life. I can bet my life on this! Kudos to those that are optimistic, wish i could still be optimistic like i once was, but Nigeria has gotten to a point of no revival, true story!

you are simply a wasted human being.
Re: 'Return Home', Fashola Charges Nigerians In Diaspora by idupaul: 4:48pm On Aug 22, 2008
you are simply a wasted human being.

we need more nigerians like u, after the second world war the german economy was in ruins, twas really bad that an american dollar changed for over a million marks, the germans didnt run into europe to do odd jobs they stayed and built them country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Kwankwaso: I Regret Supporting Buhari Against Jonathan / Voting Ends At Ruling APC Presidential Primary / Ayo Adebanjo Tells Buhari To Divide Nigeria Into Its Original Units Immediately

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.