Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:51 AM

Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory (14433 Views)

Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2008
I saw a similarly titled thread asking the question of Christians. So I wonder, can the Muslim folk educate and throw some light on this?? Can a good practicing Muslim work in a Brewery or a Tobacco factory??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by madamkoko: 9:29pm On Aug 19, 2008
I believe this belongs in the Islam section. No?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 10:55pm On Aug 19, 2008
madamkoko:

I believe this belongs in the Islam section. No?

No!!

Are there no people here who can answer this question Is this not discrimination Una go dey answer the Christian one but una no one answer this one!!!

People, throm light on this na??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by olabowale(m): 11:11pm On Aug 19, 2008
Muslims should not be working in either. Allah says that one should not commit suicide. Cigaratte, and anything smoky like it, are what i will call, "soft/silent killers." In the Qur'an Allah also speaks about not dealling with intosticants. Alcohol drinks are just that. They also kill, silently or gradually.

The Prophet (AS), said that the maker, drinker, and transporter of alcohol are all in the same bowl of guilt.

Inshort, these are bad and unislamic line of work. However you look at it.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 6:49am On Aug 20, 2008
are there other views??

What of if thats the only option of livelihood available to the individual??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by codebase: 7:14am On Aug 20, 2008
Hello or Assalam Aleaykum (as the case may be)

Well the simple answer to your question is that Allah has prohibited making alcohol. There are very clear texts on this in the Qu'raan. And the prophet said in an authentic hadith that "When Allah has prohibit something then the money gotten as a result for it is also prohibited".

Note: I am paraphrasing this statement of the prophet in my own words though they carry the same meaning

Since we have a clear text in the Qu'raan prohibiting alcohol and we also have clear Ahhadiths prohibiting money from anything haraam, then it will be very difficult or even impossible to find a difference of opinions amongst the scholars on this issue and remember that to go against a clear ayat of the Qu'raan or Ahhadith is sometimes tantamount to "kufr" (this not minor kufr, what I mean is kufr that takes one out of the fold of Islam).

Below are Fatawas from islam-qa.com treating a similar question

Why is it forbidden to drink alcohol?
Why does islam prohibit drinking alcohol even in small amounts? And what does Koran say about it?

Praise be to Allaah.

No doubt alcohol is intoxicating, and contains this substance that makes people lose their minds. It says in the hadeeth, “Every intoxicant is khamr, and every khamr is haraam (forbidden).” If this is the case, then alcohol is considered to be forbidden and to come under the heading of “khamr”(wine, etc.) which people drink for relaxation or enjoyment. Allaah has forbidden it and stated that it is a sin, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit’”

[al-Baqarah 2:219]

If sin is present and it is great, then it is forbidden. Undoubtedly this alcohol is harmful to the mind and body, and Allaah has forbidden everything that harms the body and mind, and saps the strength. Everything that is harmful to a person is not permitted, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:29]

“and do not throw yourselves into destruction”

[al-Baqarah 2:195]

And because this is an extravagant waste of money, an action of the spendthrift which comes under the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, the spendthrifts are brothers of the Shayaateen (devils)

[al-Israa 17:27]

Using alcohol in ways other than drinking it may be permitted if small amounts are used, such as mixing it with perfumes that are used on clothes or the body, because it keeps them from spoiling, and because it keeps the clothes clean. This is OK, but drinking it is not permissible under any circumstances.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen

Working for a company that deals with another that sells alcohol
Is it permissible to work for a company that deals with another that sells alcohol?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Selling alcohol is haraam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols etc), and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

91. Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90-91]

And al-Bukhaari (22360 and Muslim 91581) narrated from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden the sale of alcohol.”

Al-Tirmidhi (1295) and Ibn Majaah (3381) narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed ten with regard to wine: the one who squeezes (the grapes etc), the one who asks for it to be squeezed, the one who drinks it, the one who carries it, the one to whom it is carried, the one who pours it, the one who sells it and consumes its price, the one who buys it and the one for whom it is bought.

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel (2385).

With regard to the company that deals with one that deals in alcohol, if they help in that trade then undoubtedly they are doing something haraam and have a share of the sin, and it is not permissible for anyone to do any work that is connected to that. But if their interaction with those who deal in alcohol has nothing to do with the alcohol and is not helping with it, rather it has to do with other work that is permissible, then it is permitted to work with this company with regard to permissible work that does not help with haraam things.

See also the answer to question no. 48005.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 10:38am On Aug 20, 2008
so what alternative is the fellow to take considering this is the only job and means of livelihood available to him??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by olabowale(m): 12:31pm On Aug 20, 2008
Move. A society like that where only evil works/jobs are the means of livelihood should not be a society that a believer lives in! This condition that you propose, seems impossible. I could have said that he becomes an independent business owner catering to need of his community, as long as his chosen line of work is not forbidden, but his faith will suffer, because he seems to be the only believer around. Then i prefer that he moves, out of that community.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Gamine(f): 12:48pm On Aug 20, 2008
Fotodaddy undecided
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 4:01pm On Aug 20, 2008
Gamine:

Fotodaddy undecided

Yes o!!!

As you can see from what has happened in this thread, Our Muslim brethren are united. But the Church of Christ's reps here are so full of head knowledge that they miss the Spirit of Christ. Hypocrites we all are. We have so much to learn on account of the fact that we got our salvation by grace. Its a real pity indeed sad Father forgive us, show us your mercy and grant us grace to understand You as You are!!!
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Gamine(f): 4:03pm On Aug 20, 2008
Yes yes yes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by codebase: 7:28pm On Aug 20, 2008
Muslims all over the world face tough challenges like this one in their every day life, so I ask Allah to make it easy for us to make sacrifices Amin.

Things like this are easier said than done but that will not stop me from saying it The blunt truth is that nothing can make anything impermissible in Islam, permissible except in a case of necessity.

There are many other options for muslims concerned about their hereafter. One of such options is doing jobs that are menial, yes doing menial jobs then being patient until Allah brings something better.

Let us know that the life of this world is too short to waste for the hereafter that is everlasting. And who even says that if you are patient with a small job now Allah will not bring something better for you in future before you die. Nobody knows tomorrows.

The Prophet of Allah (May Allah mercy be upon him) was reported to have said in authentic Ahhadith that a believer will not have the certainty of faith until he believes that what will hit him will never miss him and what will miss him will never hit him.

The prophet of Allah (May Allah mercy be upon him) also said that if all creatures on earth(Man, jinn and animals) where to gather to benefit a man they will not be able to benefit him except if Allah has written it for him. and if all creatures on earth(Man, jinn and animals) where to gather to harm a man they will not be able to harm him except if Allah has written that for him.

The prophet of Allah (May Allah mercy be upon him) informed us that 60,000 years before the creation of Heavens and Earth Allah created the Pen and HE told it to write, the Pen asked HIM what should it write, Allah told it write everything that will ever happen and the pen wrote then Prophet said the Pen has been raised and the ink has dried.

Dear Muslim, why not be patient will what is permissible, continue to strive in that path and Allah will certainly suffice for you

Thanks

Note: All hadith quoted are paraphrased and not the exact texts and they are all authentic Insha Allah.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 9:32pm On Aug 20, 2008
codebase:

Muslims all over the world face tough challenges like this one in their every day life, so I ask Allah to make it easy for us to make sacrifices Amin.

Things like this are easier said than done but that will not stop me from saying it The blunt truth is that nothing can make anything impermissible in Islam, permissible except in a case of necessity.

So are we to understand that under some situations (cases of necessity) the impermissible becomes permissible??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Queenisha: 4:18am On Aug 21, 2008
In Nigeria,the northerners who are a large Muslim group smoke like chimneys.
From the 10 year old almajiris to the 80 year old women with no teeth.
There is no group in Nigeria that smokes as much as they do
Alcoholism is also their stock in trade.
I lived a while up north.There were also breweries in northern Nigeria.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 7:14am On Aug 21, 2008
Queenisha:

Pls queenisha, lets remain objective. There is no proof that the northerners you are referring to are Muslims. The question remain:

fotodaddy:

So are we to understand that under some situations (cases of necessity) the impermissible becomes permissible??
?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by littleb(m): 8:13am On Aug 21, 2008
Queenisha:

From the 10 year old almajiris to the 80 year old women with no teeth.
There is no group in Nigeria that smokes as much as they do
I lived a while up north.There were also breweries in northern Nigeria.

Thanks to Queenisha for this comments, I ve been waiting for someone to say this all along. Infact, I love being a muslim. There are two similar things which one needs to understand here base on Islamic laws. FORBIDDEN and NOT RECOMMENDED.

While alchool is forbidden Tobacco is not recommended. Whoever take tobacco is at his own risk. Allah says: Do not kill yourself. Allah is Merciful unto you.” (Qur'an 4:29). Alhamdulilah, people have started getting it; have you seen this: TOBACCO SMOKERS ARE LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 9:19am On Aug 21, 2008
littleb:

While alchool is forbidden Tobacco is not recommended. Whoever take tobacco is at his own risk. Allah says: Do not kill yourself. Allah is Merciful unto you.” (Qur'an 4:29). Alhamdulilah, people have started getting it; have you seen this: TOBACCO SMOKERS ARE LIABLE TO DIE YOUNG

But littleb, are you aware that 95% of cough syrups and quite a lot of other medications commonly used by people contain alcohol?? Also in countries like Brazil, Alcohol is used as fuel for cars!! What would a Muslim do in these cases??

Christians are told that excess is the issue (where alcohol is concerned). Furthermore, my understanding for Christians is that all things are allowable but not all thing are beneficial which, from what you said, is more or less the same as what you mentioned concerning tobacco.

So in the end can we conclude that the 'sin' for a Muslim will be the intake of alcohol for the purpose of intoxication/entertainment?? To which we can conclude that a Muslim CAN work in a brewery or Tobacco factory??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Mustay(m): 10:38am On Aug 21, 2008
Queenisha.

Did you investigate every 'northern smoker' to confirm his/her religion status?

I've seen some who are Muslims who smoke but the truth is, most of them know not that it is haram.

When we usually use the word alcohol usually we mean Ethyle alcohol. There are useful other uses of alcohol. Islam forbids the drinking because that is harmful for us.
"Alcohol is used as fuel for cars!! What would a Muslim do in these cases??"

“They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit’”
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 10:51am On Aug 21, 2008
@mustay,
Are you saying a Muslim can work in a Brewery??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by littleb(m): 10:59am On Aug 21, 2008
fotodaddy:

But littleb, are you aware that 95% of cough syrups and quite a lot of other medications commonly used by people contain alcohol?? Also in countries like Brazil, Alcohol is used as fuel for cars!! What would a Muslim do in these cases??

In Islam: 'What is allowed(Halal) is clear and what is forbidden(Haram) is clear. Midway between them are things which people do not know whether they are allowed or forbidden. He who keeps away from them will protect his religion and will be saved. He who aproaches them is very near to Haram(Forbidden), like a shepherd wandering his flock near protected grazing land, who could soon enter the forbidden area, and Allah’s protected area is what He has declared forbidden.'

In Islam, the general rule is that any substance that get people intoxicated when taken is forbidden, both in small and large quantities, whether it is alcohol or drugs or any other form.

The broad area on this topic which we've failed to mention is the consideration for excemption. This maybe in form of medication as you said, however islam against it using alcohol as a medicine. This is supported by several says of the prophet: A man told prophet that he used wine as a medicine. The Prophet said: 'It is not a medicine but a disease'.

If a medicine contain alcohol is prescribe to a patient with no alternative for such, it should be used within the context of essentiality and not exceeding that limit. This is inline with verse of the Quran: "But if one is compelled by necessity, neither craving (it) nor transgressing, then, indeed, thy Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.” (Qr.6:145)

fotodaddy:

So in the end can we conclude that the 'sin' for a Muslim will be the intake of alcohol for the purpose of intoxication/entertainment?? To which we can conclude that a Muslim CAN work in a brewery or Tobacco factory??

Even a tea spoon is punishable.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 11:04am On Aug 21, 2008
@littleb,

If I am to understand you correctly, then a Muslim faithful can work in a Brewery (provided he does not drink the products of the brewery)??

If that is so then I guess the essence is the spirit behind the act and not the act itself. Am I right??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by littleb(m): 11:26am On Aug 21, 2008
fotodaddy:

@littleb,

If I am to understand you correctly, then a Muslim faithful can work in a Brewery (provided he does not drink the products of the brewery)??

If that is so then I guess the essence is the spirit behind the act and not the act itself. Am I right??

There is no logic here and I think I ve not tell you that. MUSLIM CANT WORK IN BREWERY. By brewery, we mean where alcohol is being produced.

Allah has cursed alcohol and has cursed the one who produces it, the one for whom it is produced, the one who drinks it, the one who serves it, the one who carries it, the one for whom it is carried, the one who sells it, the one who earns from the sale of it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought.

I wish you just take this from me so as not to mislead other muslims. The only excemption I have told you is base on your question in medication( and the answer is base on Islamic Law).
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Mustay(m): 12:49pm On Aug 21, 2008
littleb:

There is no logic here and I think I ve not tell you that. MUSLIM CANT WORK IN BREWERY. By brewery, we mean where alcohol is being produced.

thank you.

@ foto I didn't refer to brewery in that post.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Mustay(m): 1:11pm On Aug 21, 2008
let me post something a guy called sadat wrote on yahoo answers:

Why Alcohol is forbidden gradually?
We need to step back just for a moment into the world of pre-Islamic Arabia to see where this prohibition comes from and how the early Muslims were led, little by little, to give up drinking alcohol altogether.

Allah never asks of us more than we can do, so His injunction against alcohol was delivered in stages. Life in the Arabian Peninsula before Islam was very harsh and people had to be very tough in order to survive. Not only the inhospitable nature of the land, but fierce feuding between tribes, the despicable practice of burying unwanted female babies alive, slavery, and immorality were common.

The people turned to worshipping idols as their way out, beseeching statues of wood and stone to save them. The drinking of alcohol and its associated drunkenness and bad behavior were symptoms of the solace they sought from life's troubles. Alcohol was readily available and shops selling it were open at all times to quench the people's thirst for respite from their woes.

When the message of Islam was first delivered, then, alcohol was readily available and frequently consumed. At first, the Muslims were told in the Qur'an that they should not turn up drunk for the Prayers in the mosque:

*{O you who believe! Approach not prayers with a mind befogged, until you can understand all that you say}* (An-Nisaa' 4:43)

How could they concentrate on praising Allah if their minds were clouded by strong drink? It still remained possible, though, for them to continue consuming wine and other beverages. At a later stage, another revelation was received which told them that there was some good to be found in alcohol, as people would tell us today, but that this was outweighed by the bad:

*{They ask you concerning alcohol and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and some benefits for men, but the sin is far greater than the benefits.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:219)

Muslims began to question, after the revelation of this verse, whether perhaps drinking alcohol was the best thing for them to do, even though it was not yet forbidden, and many stopped drinking from this time onward. Drunkenness began to be seen as something shameful and not befitting the high moral standards of which Muslims were called to be the best examples. Muslims would help each other in giving up alcohol, supporting and encouraging those who found it difficult.

Finally, a verse was revealed to the Muslims in Madinah which totally forbade alcohol:

*{You who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. Eschew such abomination, that you may prosper. Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer; will you not then abstain?}* (Al-Ma'idah 5:90-91)

From that day forward, alcohol became forbidden. The word used in the Qur'an, by the way, is Al-khamr, which comes from a word meaning "to ferment," so it is usually translated as wine or alcohol. However, as more modern mind-altering drugs have become available, these, too, have been understood to fall within the prohibition.

The early Muslims could not have known what recent medical and scientific studies have shown about alcohol. They could not have known, for example, that it acts as a depressant to the nervous system and that it can cause shrinking of the brain and even senility. They could not have known that alcohol can affect the digestive system, cause high blood pressure, even in small amounts increase the risk of brain hemorrhage and strokes, or that it can affect sleep patterns. Subhan Allah that these things were prevented for Muslims 1400 years ago!

So, the answer to why alcohol is forbidden is clear: It is harmful to us. It is harmful to us, physically, and it also harms us as people. Why would we, as Muslims, need to take solace in drink? One of the saddest features of life in the Western world, for example, is how workers look forward all week long to the end of the week when they can go out together to the pub. This often leads to drunkenness and a lowering of one's guard, which in turn leads to other bad behaviors. How sad that many people, because of loneliness and depression, turn to drink and to drugs to fill in that desperate need for affection or fulfillment in life. What a tragedy that alcohol has torn apart families and broken many lives and careers.

In a world where they feel loved and respected, people would not need these artificial stimulants to make them feel good. One of the amazing features of the Muslim world is that Muslims can go out together for fun and can be genuinely happy, without even thinking of the need for alcohol.

It is a pity that many non-Muslims consider the consumption of alcohol a social necessity, whereas it is not a necessity at all. A glass of wine or a glass of whisky is just not necessary to have fun, so why increase the risk of illness as a result? Why allow your mind to become less than lucid because of alcohol and other intoxicants? Why make a fool of yourself in front of others or say things which you might regret later, when you can socialize with friends and family just as easily over fruit juices or soft drinks?

The fact is that people crave happiness and they will find it in whatever form they know. The pursuit of material things, the relentless urge to improve one's position at the expense of others and the desperate need to be wanted are all symptoms of a society without faith. For Muslims, there is no need for drugs or strong drink. Happiness comes from strong family values and for the respect which we give to each other as true brothers and sisters. The real happiness in life, though, comes from Almighty Allah, the source of all goodness. We can show the rest of the world what life is really about by the way we live as good Muslims.

Brother Mohsen Haredy, a member of Ask About Islam Editorial Staff, would like to add the following:

When Islam prohibited alcohol and drugs, it prohibited them whether they are taken in much or little amounts. If a person is allowed to take the little, the much will be taken later. This prohibition is based on the Shari`ah objective of maintaining and keeping safe one's mind. `Abdullah ibn `Umar reported that: I heard `Umar (ibn Al-Khattab) while he was on the pulpit of the Prophet saying, "Now then O people! The revelation about the prohibition of alcoholic drinks was revealed, and alcoholic drinks are extracted from five things: grapes, dates, honey, wheat, and barley. And the alcoholic drink is that which confuses and stupefies the mind." (Al-Bukhari)

The Prophet is reported to have said:

Of that which intoxicates in a large amount, a small amount is haram. (Ahmad, Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi)

If a bucketful intoxicates, a sip of it (the thing that intoxicates) is haram. (Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi.)

Thanks for your patience.

Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by fotodaddy: 2:36pm On Aug 21, 2008
@mustay,
Which kind home work you give me like this. You no know say I dey for work. If I begin dey read all this one, you sure say them go pay my salary so undecided

Mustay:

I didn't refer to brewery in that post.

The title of the thread is self explainatory!!

littleb:

I wish you just take this from me so as not to mislead other muslims. The only excemption I have told you is base on your question in medication( and the answer is base on Islamic Law).

So alcohol is not permitted except for medicinal purposes??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Mustay(m): 2:56pm On Aug 21, 2008
Drinking and Brewing aren't the same - are tehy?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by littleb(m): 3:06pm On Aug 21, 2008
fotodaddy:

So alcohol is not permitted except for medicinal purposes??

If a medicine contain alcohol is prescribe to a patient with no alternative for such, it should be used within the context of essentiality and not exceeding that limit. This is inline with verse of the Quran: "But if one is compelled by necessity, neither craving (it) nor transgressing, then, indeed, thy Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.” (Qr.6:145)
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by codebase: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2008
Like I said earlier it is not permissible in Islam to work in an Alcohol company. This is another fatawa from the scholars

[size=8pt]Working in an alcohol factory[/size]
An inquirer from Gambia is asking, what is the ruling on a Muslim who sells alcohol or drugs, can we call him a Muslim or not? What is the ruling on a Muslim who works in an alcohol factory, does he have to give up his job if he cannot find any other job?

Praise be to Allaah.

Selling alcohol and other intoxicants is a grave evil, and working in alcohol factories is haraam and is an evil, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al Birr and At Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression”
[al-Maa'idah 5:2]

Undoubtedly selling alcohol, drugs and cigarettes constitutes cooperating in sin and transgression, and working in alcohol factories also constitutes cooperating in sin and transgression. And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al Ansaab [stone altars for sacrifices to idols, etc.], and Al Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.

Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90]

It was narrated in a saheeh report that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed alcohol, the one who drinks it, the one who pours it, the one who extracts the juice, the one for whom it is extracted, the one who carries it, the one to whom it is carried, the one who sells it, the one who buys it and the one who consumes its price.

And it was also narrated in a saheeh report that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has made a covenant that whoever dies drinking alcohol, He will give him to drink of the mud of khibaal.” He was asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, what is the mud of khibaal?” He said, “The juice of the people of Hell” or “the sweat of the people of Hell.”

With regard to the ruling, the one who does this is a sinner and an evildoer by so doing; he is lacking in faith and on the Day of Resurrection he will be subject to the will of Allaah. If He wills, He will forgive him and if He wills, He will punish him, if he dies before he repents. This is according to the Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, Allaah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in worship), but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He wills”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:48]

This ruling applies if he does not regard that as being permissible. If he does regard it as being permissible then he is a kaafir by doing so, and if he dies he should not be washed or the funeral (janaazah) prayer offered for him, according to all the scholars, because by doing that he is disbelieving in Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The same ruling applies to one who regards as permissible zina (adultery), sodomy, riba (usury) and other things which are unanimously agreed to be haraam, such as disobeying one’s parents, severing ties of kinship or killing a soul unlawfully.

But if a person does that or some of that knowing that it is haraam, and knowing that he is disobeying Allaah, then he is not a kaafir; rather he is an evildoer who will be subject to the will of Allaah in the Hereafter if he does not repent before he dies, as stated above concerning the ruling on one who drinks alcohol. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 4, p. 433
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by codebase: 4:19pm On Aug 21, 2008
Also note that the scholars say that taking minute quantities of alcohol mixed with other things is also permissible because the reason why alcohol is prohibited is because of its intoxicating qualities. So in future maybe if we now have something called beer and it does not intoxicate when large quantity is taking then taking little of it will not be haraam.

The ruling of the scholars is based on the understanding this The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, then a small quantity of it is forbidden.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (1865), Sunan Abî Dâwûd (3681), Sunan al-Nasâ’î (5607), Sunan Ibn Mâjah (3392), and Musnad Ahmad (5648)]

This is another fatawa explaining this issue further

[color=#000099][b]Question: In vanilla flavoring and many other flavorings there is alcohol. I am not sure of the percentage. These flavorings are used in icecream and many other processed foods and beverages. So can we eat these things?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî

Sheikh Salman al-Oadah states the following:

Alcohol is forbidden because it intoxicates. The exact percentage of alcohol in a food or beverage has no effect on the ruling. The ruling applies to the food or beverage itself taken as a whole and not to its composition. Anyway, such small percentages of alcohol generally do not have any affect on a person who consumes the product.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, then a small quantity of it is forbidden.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (1865), Sunan Abî Dâwûd (3681), Sunan al-Nasâ’î (5607), Sunan Ibn Mâjah (3392), and Musnad Ahmad (5648)]

As long as the food or beverage in question does not intoxicate even when large quantities are consumed, then it is not prohibited.

The only other possible objection that might be raised against such a product is that alcohol is considered an impure substance according to many scholars. However, it is an established principle in Islamic Law that minute quantities of an impurity that are completely submerged in pure substances do not make those pure substances impure. The quantity of alcohol in such a product is generally so minute as to be effectively non-existent as far as matters of purification are concerned.

And Allah knows best.
[/b]
[/color]
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Queenisha: 4:42pm On Aug 21, 2008
Mustay:

Queenisha.

Did you investigate every 'northern smoker' to confirm his/her religion status?

I've seen some who are Muslims who smoke but the truth is, most of them know not that it is haram.

When we usually use the word alcohol usually we mean Ethyle alcohol. There are useful other uses of alcohol. Islam forbids the drinking because that is harmful for us.

Questions like this are very annoying.
How many Kano indigenes are Christians?
Northerners who are majority muslim smoke heavily.
That is a fact.
The first time I ever saw grandmothers smoking was in northern Nigeria
and they did it outside where anyone could see
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by codebase: 4:47pm On Aug 21, 2008
This hadith of the prophet serves as evidence against those who may want to take the position of the Christian, which says that what is prohibited is taking alcohol excessively
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities, then a small quantity of it is forbidden.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (1865), Sunan Abî Dâwûd (3681), Sunan al-Nasâ’î (5607), Sunan Ibn Mâjah (3392), and Musnad Ahmad (5648)]

So this means that if a substance exists such that taking a bottle full of it intoxicates then taking a spoon full of it will also be haraam according to the more correct opinion.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In A Brewery Or Tobacco Factory by Queenisha: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2008
codebase:

This hadith of the prophet serves as evidence against those who may want to take the position of the Christian, which says that what is prohibited is taking alcohol excessively

So this means that if a substance exists such that taking a bottle full of it intoxicates then taking a spoon full of it will also be haraam according to the more correct opinion.

Most committed Christians don't drink anyways.
The Bible holds us to higher standards by virtue of convictions.
because in as much as the scriptures talks of not drinking to excess,it also talks of abtaining from appearances of evil and not doing things to cause others to speak evil of our faith.

I for instance have never drunk alcohol in my life and neither does my husband.
The question here is ,can a Muslim work in a brewery?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Land Of Karbala In The Words Of The Prophet Muhammad (sa) / Do Not Sell What You Don’t Have / Saudi-Arabia To Reduce Nigeria’s Hajj Slots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.