Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,982 members, 7,890,230 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:23 AM

Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m (742 Views)

Kogi Guber: Audu Will Return The N11bn He Stole If Elected - APC Chairman / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele / Ijaw People Must Return To Fishing –orubebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by DeepZone: 7:15pm On Aug 22, 2008
[size=14pt]Okereke-Onyiuke must return N100m donation - EFCC - Passport seized, returned [/size]
Lanre Adewole, Abuja
Friday, August 22, 2008
IF the reported stance of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is anything to go by, then the Director-General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Professor (Mrs.) Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, would refund to the last kobo, the donations made to the ‘Obama for Africa’ project.

advertisement

The money realised at the controversial concert was put at over N100 million. A very reliable source within the commission revealed to the Nigerian Tribune that it had been made clear to her by the commission that the entire money realised at the ceremony must be refunded to the last kobo.

The source, who could not be categorical on her possible prosecution, added that what was paramount now was the recovery of the money before any other step would be taken on the matter.

It was further gathered that her refusal to cough up the money could eventually lead to her prosecution. Nigerian Tribune also learnt that Okereke-Onyiuke was detained overnight at the commission’s facility contrary to her claim published in one of the dailies (not Nigerian Tribune) that she slept in her hotel room in Abuja on Wednesday night.

She was also reported to have claimed that she was not in contact yet with EFCC as of Wednesday night. Commission’s spokesman, Mr. Femi Babafemi, confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune on Thursday that she was still undergoing interrogation at about 4.00 p.m.

He, however, hinted at the possibility of her release yesterday, after the investigators must have been through with her.

A source disclosed that her international passport had earlier been seized by the commission, but was later returned to her in the belief that she could not possibly run away from her prominent job.

She was missing at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of First Bank Plc which took place in Abuja on Thursday. While denying being detained by the commission, Okereke-Onyiuke was quoted as saying that she was actually in Abuja for the First Bank event. She is said to be a director of the bank.

A source in the commission noted that she was able to make the alleged false claim because outside contacts were allowed on Wednesday, but that the grace was not availed her on Thursday following the said report, with the source saying that those in doubt should try her mobile phone to see if they would get through.

Okereke-Onyiuke was summoned and detained by the commission on Wednesday following a petition reportedly written by Lagos lawyer, Festus Keyamo, against the fundraising for the presumptive Democratic candidate in the United States presidential election in November, Senator Barack Obama.

The commission reportedly summoned her to explain who the N100 million allegedly realised at the event was meant for, following the rejection of the donation by the Obama campaign organisation.

Okereke-Onyiuke had said that the money raised at the event was not for Obama. The commission wanted Okereke-Onyiuke to explain why she spearheaded the event despite knowing that electoral laws in America did not allow such donations.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/22/607.html
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by DeepZone: 7:16pm On Aug 22, 2008
Who will now pay for the whole expenditure for the dinner? Come to think of it, can't you raise money for a presidential candidate unless he's Nigeria?
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by c33b33(m): 8:10pm On Aug 22, 2008
@Deepzone
U.S constitutional doesn't allow it,mayb other countries may allow it.
If this report is true,kai!what would happen to money spent on Chamypne & food?So those wey come done enjoy free show lol.They should save their face by purging d money into something meaningful,like scholarship,orphange,health center,any meaningful project sha!
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by DeepZone: 9:09pm On Aug 22, 2008
@Deepzone
US constitutional doesn't allow it,mayb other countries may allow it.
If this report is true,kai!what would happen to money spent on Chamypne & food?So those wey come done enjoy free show lol.They should save their face by purging d money into something meaningful,like scholarship,orphange,health center,any meaningful project sha!

If you chop, vomit wetin you chop or have the EFCC knock on your door.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by madamkoko: 9:15pm On Aug 22, 2008
She has dipped her eba into another person's okra.

She's such a slowpoke.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by c33b33(m): 9:25pm On Aug 22, 2008
@Deepzone
Vomit ke?lol,those who bought ticket may even decide to help her recoup her expenditure.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by LASIEFAIRE(m): 9:26pm On Aug 22, 2008
I dont know the rules of Nigeria, if there are any, on fundraising but her act appears fraudulent to say the least. .
The course for which it appeared she was raising money was invalidated by the benefactor himself Obama.
She came up with another reason for the fundraising.
I believe that if she can't provide credible evidence of what and how she has and is still mobilizing African in America to vote for Obama, she needs to face the justice system.
100 million is a large sum of money to go unaccounted for. If she is let off the hook easily any Chukwuma,Ade and Aliyu will use fundraising to jilt other Nigerians.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by doyin13(m): 9:32pm On Aug 22, 2008
I don't have any sympathy for any of the 'donors'.

If the attendees can put up millions to attend the party,
I am sure they can be trusted to understand the reasons
for the fundraising.

Doesn't say much about our smarts if such, I presume, highflyers
can be so easily duped.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by 4Play(m): 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2008
Why do we seem to presume that N100m was actually raised at the event?
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by DeepZone: 10:13pm On Aug 22, 2008

for the fundraising.

can be so easily duped.

True; If left for me, I think any amount recouped should be sent to the salvation army.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by DeepZone: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2008
Why do we seem to presume that N100m was actually raised at the event?

It was reported they raised N88M. The sad thing about it is that she's not actually the main fund raiser, they just used her name to attract big spenders. The main people wey chop the money(mostly MEN) are behind the scene with their tooth pick in their mouth. Some of them may even be on Nairaland.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2008
Sometimes I just wonder where all this money comes from if the country is so . . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by idupaul: 10:18pm On Aug 22, 2008
Gbese don happen, she ma don stay long for nse
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by madamkoko: 10:35pm On Aug 22, 2008
Some of them may even be on Nairaland.

L O L grin grin
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by jgirl3: 12:43am On Aug 23, 2008
doyin13:

for the fundraising.

can be so easily duped.
Apparently, she made it mandatory for some people to pay the money. That's why I hope she rots in jail.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by AloyEmeka9: 11:42am On Aug 23, 2008
If you chop, return wetin you chop. But, who go collect the money after it's returned? I think they better use it to provide books,shoes and other little items for primary school students in the north.
Re: Okerke Onyiuke Must Return The 100m by lonelypal(m): 12:36pm On Aug 23, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

If you chop, return wetin you chop. But, who go collect the money after it's returned? I think they better use it to provide books,shoes and other little items for primary school students in the north.

lipsrsealed what has that got to do with subject of discusson? shoes for primary school students of the north?? ?? undecided

@ Topic
She must pay dearly for this, its a fraudulent act!
, hiding under some unfounded and dubious cover called OBAMA 4 AFRICA fund raiser to make money, We aint fools angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Is Relegated Because Of Division - Falae / House Of Reps 4 Million Naira Sallah/xmas Bonus / Canada To Deport Nigerian Conman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.