Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:21 AM

Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium (16916 Views)

Discussion Forum For Mathematicians, Statisticians And Actuarial Scientists. / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum / Mathematicians & Statisticians Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 5:23pm On Aug 11, 2013
@Cajetan speaks: Yes, an economist with sound knowledge of SPSS, STATA, and other statistical packages would be preferred when the job has to do with economic analyses. But like i've been saying economic analysis is just one aspect of statistics that economists would probably handle better may be because it involves economics. I also expect a medical or health graduate with skills in statistical methods and statistical computing to be preferred also in biostatistical jobs and analysis. But that does not mean that a statistician cannot handle such analyses. Hope i answered ur question?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2013
This your response has said it all. If you would recall,this debate ensued because I stated that you guys should ugrade urselves with other skills, because with only a Bsc stat/maths, what you possess is only an analytical skill.END OF DEBATE. cheers
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2013
Cajetan speaks: This your response has said it all. If you would recall,this debate ensued because I stated that you guys should ugrade urselves with other skills, because with only a Bsc stat/maths, what you possess is only an analytical skill.END OF DEBATE. cheers
one can take up a course in any area he/she wants to specialize in; that will be an added advantage. A statistician that wants to go deep into medical research would probably need to take some courses in the medical sciences to be very relevant so also is with economics. Although in ur Bsc program u take courses in biostatistics, biometrics, and medical statistics to arm u with the skills to handle medical research data. For economic and social analysis u do courses like economic & social statistics, econometrics, psychometrics, and time series analysis. It's been a nice debate sir. Thanx.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by marcangelo(m): 10:26am On Aug 12, 2013
*round of applauses & a standing ovation*
wat an intellectual debate.. I've learnt one or two tings from it..
thank u
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 11:53am On Aug 12, 2013
marcangelo: *round of applauses & a standing ovation*
wat an intellectual debate.. I've learnt one or two tings from it..
thank u
u're welcome. Pls what's ur discipline?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
Numero uuuno: Its getting interesting the more.............
@@zebra,which school/institution are you lecturing?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 1:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nice debate
It was a great one.
I'm going into the Bio-statistics field for ♍Ɣ masters.
Statistics is a great thing to study anyway,I'm enjoying it.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
Numero uuuno:
I don't need to expose my identity here. I'm a consultant lecturer in mathematics and statistics with one of the state universities in nigeria. Thanx.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
Most mathematicians/statisticians are great men; and most great men are mathematicians/statisticians.

1 Like

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
zebra: I don't need to expose myself here. I'm a consultant lecturer in mathematics and statistics with one of the state universities in nigeria. Thanx.
okay sir,we'll done
Keep up the Good work
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 4:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
Numero uuuno: okay sir,we'll done
Keep up the Good work
No wahala. We shall keep u informed on developments in mathematics and statistics.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by marcangelo(m): 5:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
zebra: u're welcome. Pls what's ur discipline?
wel, i'm currently in yr1 mathematics and statistics...although i didnt chose it because i culdnt get admission to engineering so i ended up there in admision list... Bt its beta dan stayin at home sha
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 7:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
marcangelo:
wel, i'm currently in yr1 mathematics and statistics...although i didnt chose it because i culdnt get admission to engineering so i ended up there in admision list... Bt its beta dan stayin at home sha
it's always like that. Most of us that read mathematics or statistics actually wanted computer science or other engineering courses, but at the end of the day we still found it interesting. Just develop some love for it and put in ur best.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Tolutheo(m): 10:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
It is so nice to join this thread on a day I started my research to go into health informatics consulting and I have really learnt so much thanks to cajetan and zebra.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Tolutheo(m): 10:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
Numero uuuno: Nice debate
It was a great one.
I'm going into the Bio-statistics field for ♍Ɣ masters.
Statistics is a great thing to study anyway,I'm enjoying it.

Pls what university are you planning to go for your masters because I have been looking for a university that offers bio statistics/ bio-informatics in msc level in Nigeria and I am yet to find one.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
To all that sent me a PM, I shall respond to your requests soonest.. Thanks ..
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 12, 2013
These few days I have received alot of PMs from NLanders that followed this debate, especially young grads of maths/stat. Its nice knowing that people actually followed and learnt alot from our debate.. ALUTA CONTINUA till men kick bucket. <thanks>

1 Like

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 6:29am On Aug 13, 2013
Cajetan speaks: These few days I have received alot of PMs from NLanders that followed this debate, especially young grads of maths/stat. Its nice knowing that people actually followed and learnt alot from our debate.. ALUTA CONTINUA till men kick bucket. <thanks>
U try, guy. We all learn in each day and from each other. It was a good debate.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by marcangelo(m): 8:58am On Aug 13, 2013
So some nairalanders were following dis thread & werent comentin bt doin PM.. Hmmm..

1 Like

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 11:48am On Aug 13, 2013
Tolutheo:

Pls what university are you planning to go for your masters because I have been looking for a university that offers bio statistics/ bio-informatics in msc level in Nigeria and I am yet to find one.
None for now in Nigeria
I'm considering abroad.
Check out some canadian universities,its abundant over there.
Take care
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Tolutheo(m): 11:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
Numero uuuno: None for now in Nigeria
I'm considering abroad.
Check out some canadian universities,its abundant over there.
Take care

Thanks I thought as much
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 9:23am On Aug 14, 2013
Tolutheo:

Thanks I thought as much
you're welcome
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by mo2raur(f): 9:13am On Aug 15, 2013
@ Zebra & Cajetan Speak, I PM You Both Didnt See Your Reply. Pls Sir... I Want To Write My Project And I Need Your Guide.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by ishmael(m): 9:34am On Aug 15, 2013
mo2raur: @ Zebra & Cajetan Speak, I PM You Both Didnt See Your Reply. Pls Sir... I Want To Write My Project And I Need Your Guide.
Hello, i can also help. What are u writing on? Let me know so that i wud know the chapter and how i can help. Regards.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by mo2raur(f): 9:55am On Aug 15, 2013
ishmael: i'm sorry about that. What are u writing on? Let me know so that i can assist where possible. Regards.

Thanks For Your Rapid Response.... '
The Numerical Methods For Solving System Of Linear & NonLinear Equations'
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 11:38am On Aug 15, 2013
mo2raur:

Thanks For Your Rapid Response.... '
The Numerical Methods For Solving System Of Linear & NonLinear Equations'
Sorry for not responding on time. Are u to write the algorithms on the methods or u want to use them to solve problems in ur project? I can still remember some of the methods like gauss-siedel, newton-raphson, regula falsi, and bisection mthd.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by mo2raur(f): 12:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
zebra: Sorry for not responding on time. Are u to write the algorithms on the methods or u want to use them to solve problems in ur project? I can still remember some of the methods like gauss-siedel, newton-raphson, regula falsi, and bisection mthd.
I think both, i'l list all the mthds and talk on LU Decompositn, QR, Power Mtd & Sro Mtd
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 7:22am On Aug 16, 2013
mo2raur:
I think both, i'l list all the mthds and talk on LU Decompositn, QR, Power Mtd & Sro Mtd
can u list the methods u're talking about?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by mo2raur(f): 10:19pm On Aug 16, 2013
zebra: can u list the methods u're talking about?
You mean the other mtds he want me to mention...i dnt knw too.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 5:54am On Aug 17, 2013
mo2raur:
You mean the other mtds he want me to mention...i dnt knw too.
Ok, i think i understand u better now. U want to find out other methods of solving these systems of equations, right? I'll see if i can get some for u. But still list the ones u have so that we don't duplicate. Can u lay ur hands on Advanced Engineering Maths by Kreyzig?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by mo2raur(f): 1:26pm On Aug 17, 2013
@ Zebra; Pls do contact me Thru mo2raur@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NIMC Staff To Get Improved Salary Soon – Pantami / Nigerian Lady Is The Best Pharmacist In UK For The Year 2016 / 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.