Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:17 AM

Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium (16915 Views)

Discussion Forum For Mathematicians, Statisticians And Actuarial Scientists. / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum / Mathematicians & Statisticians Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by marcangelo(m): 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Thnks
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by zebra(m): 12:22pm On Sep 04, 2013
Cajetan speaks: Since you said I don't know anything about statisticians' job. I will like you to enumerate these duties, lets dissect them individually. And mind you, the Statistician General of Nigeria and all his special advicers studied economics.
The Stat-General of Nigeria, Dr. Yemi Kale (PhD, FSS) holds a first class Bsc Degree in Econs and Distinction in Msc Econs. He is a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, United Kingdom. This qualifies him so well to be a Statistician. He is therefore an Economist and a Statistician.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Funpeter: 6:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
Good day is there any statistician or mathematician that have a knowlege of sql or into it please we need advice on it thanks
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Dcoolest: 10:37pm On Sep 26, 2013
Wow! Lov dis thread......as for m just wana go into stat...i heard dat itz vewy tough....bah just need som guidelines......on hw to be a gud 1......av passion for both stat and economics......bah due to my low jamb scores....i gat to go for stat in poly......just need som hintz on books to get.....to study b4 resumption......
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
Dcoolest: Wow! Lov dis thread......as for m just wana go into stat...i heard dat itz vewy tough....bah just need som guidelines......on hw to be a gud 1......av passion for both stat and economics......bah due to my low jamb scores....i gat to go for stat in poly......just need som hintz on books to get.....to study b4 resumption......
Good, just make sure you work very hard and get the very best result.You can go ahead and study Economics after your National Diploma via direct entry.
Go and get further Mathematics Project probably 1-3 pending the time you are admitted.
But if you have the resources to get the required mathematics, you can get the following textbooks recommended by National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
- Statistics (6th Edition), W.M Harper
-Theory and Problems of Probability H.L.Lipschutz
-Statistics Concepts & Application Frank H. Aithoeu
-Sampling Techniqes W.G. Cochran
- Fundamental Concept in the Design of Experiments C.K Hicks
-Engineering Mathematics K.A Stroud.
Best of Luck
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Dcoolest: 9:46pm On Sep 27, 2013
@ Dekins.....thankz vewy mach......bah i wana knw where i can get dos books....cos i cant get any advanced books on statistics in al da bookshops around me here....and i dont knw where to go and get dem....pls
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 10:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
Dcoolest: @ Dekins.....thankz vewy mach......bah i wana knw where i can get dos books....cos i cant get any advanced books on statistics in al da bookshops around me here....and i dont knw where to go and get dem....pls
Bro,why don't you try your best to type in full.
Using words like 'vewy' for 'very'
'da' for 'the'
Bah for but
Mach for much.
makes your post unserious/childish#justmyopinion
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by jaybee3(m): 10:11pm On Sep 27, 2013
Funpeter: Good day is there any statistician or mathematician that have a knowlege of sql or into it please we need advice on it thanks
What do you need help on?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Dcoolest: 10:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
Numero uuuno:
Bro,why don't you try your best to type in full.
Using words like 'vewy' for 'very'
'da' for 'the'
Bah for but
Mach for much.
makes your post unserious/childish#justmyopinion
am sory bro....am very serious o....pls where can i get those books
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Funpeter: 6:50am On Sep 28, 2013
jay bee:
Thanks for your response, will need help on how to work on it.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by jaybee3(m): 6:56am On Sep 28, 2013
Funpeter: Thanks for your response, will need help on how to work on it.

http://people.grenouille.com/~fraggle/books/SQL%20for%20Dummies%205th%20Edition.pdf
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Funpeter: 7:56am On Sep 28, 2013
jay bee:

http://people.grenouille.com/~fraggle/books/SQL%20for%20Dummies%205th%20Edition.pdf
Tanks for the licnk but is not opening btw i install sql 2005 but is not connecting what do u think might b the problems also tanks for ur concerns will expect ur reply sonnest.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by jaybee3(m): 8:07am On Sep 28, 2013
Funpeter: Tanks for the licnk but is not opening btw i install sql 2005 but is not connecting what do u think might b the problems also tanks for ur concerns will expect ur reply sonnest.
Go to google and Search for "sql for dummies"

What error message are you getting with your connection issues?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Numerouuuno: 8:50am On Sep 28, 2013
Dcoolest: am sory bro....am very serious o....pls where can i get those books
Getting the hard copy of those books will depend on your location,but you can get the soft copy i.e the pdf format from www.bookboon.com
Good morning.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Dcoolest: 8:59am On Sep 28, 2013
Numero uuuno:
Getting the hard copy of those books will depend on your location,but you can get the soft copy i.e the pdf format from www.bookboon.com
Good morning.
thanks but can u tel me where i can get it in lagos?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Dcoolest: 9:00am On Sep 28, 2013
Numero uuuno:
Good morning.
thanks....but where can i get it in lagos
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Funpeter: 2:59pm On Sep 28, 2013
jay bee:
Go to google and Search for "sql for dummies"

What error message are you getting with your connection issues?
Tanks BOSS, it show space for unsername and whenever i insert a name he says error?
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by narttis1: 4:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Did i just hear somebody say Economists and Financial Analysts are better mathematicians and Statisticians?? shocked That's a FALLACY! An economist definitely has done some statistics and mathematics BUT that does not compare to what math majors are trained to do. most of the math done in postgraduate economics programs are what a math major must have done in L300.

You must be kidding to compare a finance graduate to a math/stats graduate in terms of mathematical/logical skills...The finance community has become more mathematical and math graduates are increasingly being preferred to finance guys for admissions into certain postgraduate finance programs and finance roles in industry.

Here's the difference bro, the math guys design and develop complex models, the finance/econs guys use these models.

Training a finance/Econs graduate on statistical packages does NOT make him a statistician, you also need to be trained on the theories behind the software, the assumptions made in developing these theories, limitations on them etc...else all you may be doing is GIGO!

Lastly, studying math opens you up to countless opportunities in so many field of studies..i never regretted studying math/stats at undergrad level.

3 Likes

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by obinoral(m): 6:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
Statistics is so wide becaused i work on non-parametric method while doing my project. Using mann-whitney,kruskass wallis. And friedmann test, all this test are so important in statistics but nigeria is not helping us at all but right now am doing a course on microsoft sql but am still thinking which area is the best for me to do my pgd........advice are needed.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 29, 2013
narttis1: Did i just hear somebody say Economists and Financial Analysts are better mathematicians and Statisticians?? shocked That's a FALLACY! An economist definitely has done some statistics and mathematics BUT that does not compare to what math majors are trained to do. most of the math done in postgraduate economics programs are what a math major must have done in L300.

You must be kidding to compare a finance graduate to a math/stats graduate in terms of mathematical/logical skills...The finance community has become more mathematical and math graduates are increasingly being preferred to finance guys for admissions into certain postgraduate finance programs and finance roles in industry.

Here's the difference bro, the math guys design and develop complex models, the finance/econs guys use these models.

Training a finance/Econs graduate on statistical packages does NOT make him a statistician, you also need to be trained on the theories behind the software, the assumptions made in developing these theories, limitations on them etc...else all you may be doing is GIGO!

Lastly, studying math in opens you up to countless opportuniyies in so many field of studies..i never regretted studying math/stats at undergrad level.
Good job sir, i wonder why some people do think either mathematics or statistics graduates end up teaching mathematics in mushroom classroom.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Harry4cas(m): 10:57am On Sep 15, 2014
Can someone pls suggest a very active thread i can join or link for me here on NL that is meant for Graduate n Undergraduate in Maths/Statistics pls? Cos i noticed this one aint active again.

Im seeing this thread now.. I must say that i Enjoyed that debate so far! Im an aspirant tho ( in statistics) planing to have certificate in both stats and I.t i also need advice from y'all.

Why i choose to go for statistics is that i want to be versatile and an enterprenuer cos i also love anything bout I.T ... Tho i resolved that it is better for me to do stats and get a bsc in it cos i can actually learn I.T related course outside uni but i want to be versatile in both fields. Pls i need advice.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 03, 2015
Harry4cas:
Can someone pls suggest a very active thread i can join or link for me here on NL that is meant for Graduate n Undergraduate in Maths/Statistics pls? Cos i noticed this one aint active again.

Im seeing this thread now.. I must say that i Enjoyed that debate so far! Im an aspirant tho ( in statistics) planing to have certificate in both stats and I.t i also need advice from y'all.

Why i choose to go for statistics is that i want to be versatile and an enterprenuer cos i also love anything bout I.T ... Tho i resolved that it is better for me to do stats and get a bsc in it cos i can actually learn I.T related course outside uni but i want to be versatile in both fields. Pls i need advice.
hey! I believe by now u're no longer an aspirant, it is gud to knw that people are actually aspiring to be in dis field.....
Am a 100level statistic student in Amadu bello university zaria......welcome

1 Like

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by JENMAUCY(f): 4:09pm On Sep 28, 2015
jaybee3:

please I need you guys help on how to use anova to analyse my project chapter 4, I have tried browsing but I don't seem to understand what they are trying to explain please, and I want someone to teach me how to go about it.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by operal99: 12:41pm On Jun 14, 2017
Well, do people know is only a statisticians that have the right to work in any economical sector..... let's analyze it like these, in any governmental sector, u will see budgeting and planning ministry or office now let's go to the industrial sector, there is something they call quality control, to check whether a particular goods meet a specific needs by plotting xbar chat to check it and rectify or when u use regression analysis to check the sales of the company or industry over the past year and use it to forecast for the future sales and also to the banking and hospital sector, to know how many customer or patient has been admitted or discharge..... etc because u need the help of statisticians to plan and forecast for the future.
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by CFAMadeEasy: 9:13am On Dec 02, 2017
For your 2018 CFA study materials level 1-3 (notes) both hard and soft copies available, qbank also available too.

Call/WhatsApp 08055047648
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Funkejimoh(f): 9:46pm On Sep 13, 2019
Pls help me with this question Triangle is divided to four triangles and three quadrilaterals,total perimeter for the four triangles is 20 and 25 for the three quadrilateral, total perimeter for whole triangle is 19, what is the sum of three straight line segment

Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Gracchus: 8:15pm On Sep 13, 2020
tjmadrid:
I wonder ooooooooooooooooo. and Nigerians should know that Statisticians are very important in all aspect of our life ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Ok
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Gracchus: 8:16pm On Sep 13, 2020
tjmadrid:
I wonder ooooooooooooooooo. and Nigerians should know that Statisticians are very important in all aspect of our life ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium by Harry4cas(m): 5:41pm On Nov 23, 2022
Harry4cas:

Someone just shared this post which I made around 2014 or thereabout grin hence the reason I found my way back here. It's actually nice to have a feel of what I used to sound like a couple of years back. I did eventually graduated with a major in Statistics. I also got into tech briefly after my graduation. I'm working as a Machine Learning Engineer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NIMC Staff To Get Improved Salary Soon – Pantami / Nigerian Lady Is The Best Pharmacist In UK For The Year 2016 / 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.