Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,671 members, 7,878,963 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 10:19 AM

Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate (10879 Views)

The Media's Unhealthy Obsession With Sarah Palin / Sarah Palin Is A Mistake / Did Sarah Palin Pass Off Her Teenage Daughter's Child As Hers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by DeepZone: 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2008

[size=14pt]McCain picks Palin as running mate
[/size]

Alaska governor to be first female Republican VP nominee

McCain picks Palin for VP
  Aug. 29: Republican presidential candidate John McCain's has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate , NBC News has learned.
Today show

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, campaign officials told NBC News on Friday.

She would be the first woman to serve on a Republican presidential ticket. The pro-life Palin would also be the first Alaskan ever to appear on a national ticket.

Palin, 44, was elected Alaska's first woman governor in 2006. The state’s voters had grown weary of career politician Gov. Frank Murkowski, whom she defeated in the GOP primary.

“I've been blessed with the right timing here,” Palin said before the election. “There's no doubt that Alaskans right now are dealing in an atmosphere of distrust of government and industry.”

Palin's selection was a stunning surprise, as McCain passed over many other better-known prospects, some of whom had been the subject of intense speculation for weeks or months.

She is a generation younger than Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama's running mate on the Democratic ticket.

She is three years Obama's junior, as well, and McCain has made much in recent weeks of Obama's relative lack of experience in foreign policy and defense matters.

On Aug. 1, Palin scored a major victory when the Alaska legislature passed a bill that authorizes her administration to award a license to TransCanada Alaska to build a 1,715-mile natural gas pipeline from Prudhoe Bay on Alaska’s North Slope to a hub in Canada.

The pipeline would be the largest construction project in the history of North America. If completed as hoped within ten years, it would ship 4.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day. The United States imported about 10 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day in 2007.

Under investigation for firing
But Palin’s seemingly bright future was clouded in late July when the state legislature voted to hire an independent investigator to find out whether she tried to have a state official fire her ex-brother-in-law from his job as a state trooper.

The allegation was made by former Department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, whom Palin fired in mid-July.

“It is a governor’s prerogative, a right, to fill that cabinet with members whom she or he believes will do best for the people whom we are serving,” Palin told CNBC’s Larry Kudlow in an interview on Aug. 1. “So I look forward to any kind of investigation or questions being asked because I’ve got nothing to hide.”

Palin also reacted to the indictment of Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens by calling it “very dismaying.” She added, “Hopefully though, this won’t be a distraction and get people’s minds off what has to be done in the grand scheme of things.”

As for the prospect of her being vice president, Palin told Kudlow that she could not answer the question of whether she wanted the job “until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day. I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here….”

Palin is married to Todd Palin, a lifelong Alaskan who is a production operator on the North Slope and a four-time champion of the Iron Dog, which is described as “the world's longest snow-machine race.”

Mother of five
They have five children. Their son, Track, enlisted in the US. Army on Sept. 11, 2007.

Palin gave birth to their fifth child, Trig, last April. The baby boy has Down syndrome, a genetic abnormality that impedes a child's intellectual and physical development.

"When we first heard, it was kind of confusing," Palin said, according to an account in the Anchorage Daily News. She called the news "very, very challenging."

But she added in a note, imagining what God would say to her family, "Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed-up world you live in down there on Earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome."

Palin made a name for herself in Alaska politics by serving as mayor of Wasilla City for six years and going on to run unsuccessfully for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor in 2002.

After her unsuccessful run, Palin received an appointment to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she ended up serving a role in an ethics probe into Republican Party Chairman Randy Reudrich, who was questioned about conflicts of interest with the oil industry.

The investigation ultimately forced Ruedrich to resign from the commission.

Palin's role in the investigation left her a party outsider, but she was able to win the 2006 Republican gubernatorial primary against Murkowski, going on to win the 2006 general election by seven points over her Democratic opponent.

During one debate before the primary, Palin said she was in favor of capital punishment in especially heinous cases such as the murder of a child. "My goodness, hang 'em up, yeah,” she said.

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska with her parents in 1964, when they went there to teach school.

She received a degree in communications and journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/from/ET/
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by DeepZone: 4:08pm On Aug 29, 2008
Great pick, Watch us rally every American woman to vote republican. Obama nearly got me yesterday but the euphoria is gone now.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by SeanT21(f): 4:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
DeepZone:

Great pick, Watch us rally every American woman to vote republican. Obama nearly got me yesterday but the euphoria is gone now.

McBUSH is a dumbass. He just wants Hillary supporters to jump on his nuts. This dude has no respect for women. He even called his wife a cunt. GTFOH!!!

Damn Republicans!!!

The Republican National Convention will not be half as good as DNC!!!
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by Riskie(f): 4:28pm On Aug 29, 2008
SeanT21:

McBUSH is a dumbass. He just wants Hillary supporters to jump on his nuts. This dude has no respect for women. He even called his wife a cunt. GTFOH!!!

Damn Republicans!!!

Not the best way to put it, but I agree with you. grin
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by BigB11(m): 4:55pm On Aug 29, 2008
This is nothing but a desperation move (this is simply done to pull Hillary Clinton's voters)
It is clear and simple, this man McCain has absolutely nothing to offer; and he knows this fact too.
I predict that with time, folks will calm down and realize that this temperamental old man is simply obsolete.

Americans are smarter and very concern about their future; McCain could even go and ask King Solomon to be his VP; he's not going to win this election.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by TheSly: 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2008
What a Conny way to garner Hillary's die-hard females supporters. sad
There's still hope. . . . . . .Sure there is. cool
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by BigB11(m): 5:02pm On Aug 29, 2008

They're already paying folks to attend the RNC.
But no matter what they do, it will never never come close to what we all witnessed for the past 4 days.

DNC wasn't an ordinary event; it was a clear signal that blessing from God was totally involved. No need to raise up your blood pressure, God is in control.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by BigB11(m): 5:15pm On Aug 29, 2008
Read my lips, Obama's camp is one of the brightest group ever. They are well organized, completely competent and full of natural wisdom.
I'm sure that they expected the little rat (McCain) to come up with this shoddy strategy. And an appropriate step will be taken at the right time.

No sweat at-all!
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by TheSly: 5:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
Just when i thought i was done with my Obama campaign shirt.
I think its only right to put it to good use now. . . . . . . . .Bros before hoes. grin
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by toshmann(m): 5:37pm On Aug 29, 2008
Big B1:

Americans are smarter and very concern about their future;

u sure? grin

The Sly:

What a Conny way to garner Hillary's die-hard females supporters. sad

and effective one too cheesy

SeanT21:

Damn Republicans!!!

mccain dumb? let me analyse this election for you. . . .

for now mccain and obama are tied 45%45% approximately. most people now already know whom they'll vote for. the only people who are undecided are the die hard hillary fans who still are not sure of john mccain but who surely wont want to vote obama. when these women will see a fellow woman, a smart one too, first chance at being VP, which they exoected obama to do, which he failed to do, which further annoyed their already irritated spirits from her loss in the primaries, these women will vote for john mccain and the election will be over. cheesy

republicans grin masters in the game. grin everybody has forgotten obama's speech grin grin grin

it will take a lot to defeat the republicans, this should have been the yr when the republicans fail but the bitter divisive democratic primaries put an end to the hope for the democrats tongue
let them go with their gay philosophies grin , john will have a better govt than bush, he will show great fiscal responsibility and deep respect for african americans and women. he'll cross party lines to do what is right, he'll lead this nation to glorya and restore republican values cool
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by Seun(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2008
For the first time in a long time, I think McCain is likely to win. 
Obama should have picked Hillary Clinton as his running mate.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by nigeria13: 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2008
The moment Obama did not pick clinton. I just know he had made a mistake.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by JeSoul(f): 5:59pm On Aug 29, 2008
I'm genuinely suprised.

I thot for sure he would pick Mitt Romney who literally owns the conservative base.

McCain musta thought: I'm tied with Obama in the polls even without Romney, how about picking a woman who can steal the remaining undecided, bitter, Hillary female voters? smiley

This election just got more intresting . . .
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by legry(m): 6:03pm On Aug 29, 2008
Toshman you must be republican
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by nigeria13: 6:05pm On Aug 29, 2008
The way I see,  it is good for nigeria that mccain win the election. The more the USA economy goes bad, the better for the nigeria. What the USA do not know that their fail economy has to do with africa. China and india would in the next 10 years take home $5 trillion from africa. This was the exclusive reserve of the west. Their failed manufacturing as to do with africa buyer  now buying from china, and they lost their jobs. if they do not change their altitutde. they would continue to fail. The way the west have treated african, you even come over here they tell you all form of nonsense feeling they are better than you. they forget that the same people you are maltreating are your largest buyer and they would get back to africa and become leader. And block anything that comes from the west because of the way you have treated them too in the west. payback. .

This how the west lost africa economy to china , stupid altitude of western people.

Obama could not have win. Race would play a factor. and obama was stupid. he was sentimental . this is politics. you try to win.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by GoldCircle: 6:06pm On Aug 29, 2008
this whole game is getting more interesting! we shall see,
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by JeSoul(f): 6:06pm On Aug 29, 2008
legry:

Toshman you must be republican
  Yes he is smiley right Toshmann?
but he makes a great point in saying the Democrats shoulda run away with this election in a landslide considering the disaster that is Bush and the Republican party. But yet as of today Obama and McCain and tied neck n neck in the polls.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by AKO1(m): 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2008
Palin should not have made the comparison with Hillary Clinton.

I think that was a big mistake; she should have allowed the voters to do it first.

Quite a number of women voted for Hillary because she was the first experienced and trusted female to run.

You can't just change skirts on any woman and expect it to fit.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by TheSly: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2008
A_K_O:

I think that was a big mistake; she should have allowed the voters to do it first.

Quite a number of women voted for Hillary because she was the first experienced and trusted female to run.

You couldn't have been more right.
Americans are sensitive, You cant expect them to just vote just because someone happens to be a woman.
You can't compare Hillary to palin. . . . . . .Another dumb idea by the republicans. grin
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by nigeria13: 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
Alot american believe a white lady is better than an black man in the white house. And I tell you. Obama would not win. expect you don't know america. forget the media. the last minute they would shift base away from obama to mccain. they are only selling news. this is america for you. wake up. the republic would still win the white house. i use to visit chat room and pretend if i am white. i listen to what they say. i don't hear them shout obama,  it is mccain i hear,  blood is thick than water.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by Lady2(f): 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2008

Thank you, she is the complete opposite of Hillary. She wants my vote, pfffttt, she looked like a chicken up there.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by Seun(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2008
A black president and a female vice president, that would have been every liberal's wet dream.  
What was Obama thinking? Going head to head against McCain by choosing an old man as VP?
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by TheSly: 6:22pm On Aug 29, 2008
nigeria1@@:

Alot american believe a white lady is better than an black man in the white house.
Oh yeah and the same lots of American voted for Obama to clinch the Dems nomination.
Or were they sleeping?? Sorry but your assumptions holds no ground.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by BigB11(m): 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2008
For the first time in a long time, I think McCain is likely to win.  
Obama should have picked Hillary Clinton as his running mate.

This is correct!
A real politician would have picked Hillary without any question (In fact Hillary would have picked Obama many weeks ago, if the position was opposite) .
This is what real politicians do.

I'm 100% behind Obama, but he has a lot to learn
Politics is a dirty game, all this fine boy style is ridiculous.
As a politician, you're taught to do whatever (anything and everything) to get that "W". There is no such thing as gentleman style. Gentle man approach would only send you back to your village.

It isn't over till the ugly lady sings. Do not turn off the light as yet; Obama still has 60% chances to bring home the big cake.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by nigeria13: 6:25pm On Aug 29, 2008
check the statistics. Alot of them are young. they do not care about race, but do they really vote in a general election. Statistics say no, race would matter and obama would loss.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by BigB11(m): 6:38pm On Aug 29, 2008
With time all this noise will die down.
If McCain dies, do you think this woman would be ale to handle things effectively?

Her experience is very limited; plus, she has 100 kids.

I think with time, Americans will discover that McCain is an injured clown, who is obsolete in every way.

Now, they want to postpone the RNC (because of the bad weather), bull shit. They want to use this lady to get more crowd on their side; and it will backfire!
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by ima1(f): 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2008
she is not even well known, and election begins in like november, too late to start introducing someone to the public.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by SamMilla1(m): 6:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
Nice move.
I am sure thats just a strategic plan to win H.Clinton's voters
But i am afraid they will loose in November.
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by lynxnoon(m): 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2008
guys
abeg wat of obama, wen wil he declare his VP? undecided undecided
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by BigB11(m): 6:55pm On Aug 29, 2008
Trust me, Palin is NO Hillary. The difference is crystal clear.

Americans are not stupidy anymore, the republicans will fail!
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by CyberG: 6:57pm On Aug 29, 2008
McCain - Vote for me because I am POW, POW, POW, Surge, Surge, Surge!!

Palin - Vote for me because I am a woman! Take out your anger on Obama by voting for a WOMAN who shares nothing with HILLARY except we are both WOMEN! Pandering?? grin grin

Now in case McSurge kicks the bucket or something close, how does McaPalin (Spare tyre)  grin grin get a clue what to do with a 300 Million+ USA? Well, I guess she will continue the POW, POW, Surge, Surge, Drill here, drill there, drill everywhere, drill now and always policy of McOld??  grin grin
Re: Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate by iceland(m): 6:57pm On Aug 29, 2008
I thought he was going to choose a BLACK MAN as his running mate.I think that would have given him an edge.When with the Lady,nice try!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Africa Without Slavery And Colonization / Respect Our Laws Or Be Dealt With – Ghanaian Police To Foreigners / Hungary’s Parliament Ratifies Sweden’s Bid To Join NATO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.