Stats: 3,182,577 members, 7,917,842 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:28 PM

Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! (941 Views)

Gambian President Gifts Nollywood Stars Plots Of Land / Nollywood Stars Ken Eric Dating Rachael Okonkwo (nkoli Nwa Nsuka Star)photos / Photo: Abeg, Who Mumu Pass Between These Nollywood Stars? (2) (3) (4)

Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! by lipuka(m): 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2008
Although I enjoy Nollywood, I am rather disappointed that Nollywood stars think the only way they can appear looking good, is by changing their names from Nigerian, or African origin to English-sounding names. They also bleach themselves!

These are role models to the youth. So what message are they sending to these youths? That it is better to look white and forget your roots? Can't they act well by being African? Actually they look and sound terrible, and are making us a laughing stock.
Re: Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! by alakem(f): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2008
lipuka i do not agree wit u.we are d ones making ourselves a laughing stock.tell me how many homes u get to dat speaks their natives?,evrybody loves it when u speak wit good phonetics,evry mother want to show her kids off wearing western attire.mothers start relaxing der daughters hair at a vry tender age to look like d oyinbos, ladies use blushers as if blacks do blush,we use coloured contact lens to end up lookn like a cat,fixing hair attach to look like who?oyinbo now!so my brother why target d nollywood stars when dey only give us what we want see.
Re: Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! by lipuka(m): 3:07pm On Sep 04, 2008
You like the way Michael Jackson looks like? Why do we African think that we are inferior and the only way we can be good is looking white?
Re: Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! by seeklove: 10:25pm On Sep 04, 2008
@lipuka
You are very correct and I agree 100% with you. The problem with Africans, especially we Nigerians is inferiority complex. It is a shame that we abandon our beautiful culture( a culture which even white people respect) and try to adopt other people's culture.
They appear as freaks when they change their names and try to change their accent. It is very shamfull. Life in America has taught me that every people have accents. Infact many people(whites and etc) think that the Nigerian accent is very sexy. But unfortunately most Nigerians try to change their accent. They never really succeed in changing their accents or acting like whites, rather they end up talking like freaks and looking like fools.
Fake accent and trying to be white is also a form deceit. Another form of 419, somebody trying or claimimg to be who he is not.
Re: Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! by lipuka(m): 8:03am On Sep 05, 2008
As they say, you never know what you are missing until you lose it.
Re: Nollywood Stars Should Not Forsake Their Roots! by obongyi: 1:50am On Sep 10, 2008
Yeah,especially p-square

Celebrity Marriages / Jim Iyke And The Hiphop Trend / Worlds Most Expensive Tree.