Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,936 members, 7,969,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 03:37 PM

Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? (11848 Views)

Dirty Habits We Should Stop Doing / Nigerians And Paracetamol Consumption / 4 Most Shocking Facts On Dirty Habits In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Frizy(m): 2:44pm On Sep 06, 2008
When am on the streets in Nigeria, I keep papers or cans to look for where to dispose them on the streets, my friends always laugh and call me "oyinbo" grin. Many among Nigerians see this stupid but I guess stupidity is what makes them think this way. cry
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 06, 2008
Frizy:

When am on the streets in Nigeria, I keep papers or cans to look for where to dispose them on the streets, my friends always laugh and call me "oyinbo" grin. Many among Nigerians see this stupid but I guess stupidity is what makes them think this way. cry

Bingo! Bang on target.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dudududu(m): 3:40pm On Sep 06, 2008
can somebody tell me may be is true waec result is out?
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 06, 2008
dudu_dudu:

can somebody tell me may be is true waec result is out?

Wrong section!!!

Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by dreeldee: 5:21pm On Sep 06, 2008
Ujujoan:

@ poster, Good point, but your accusations suck. People are dirty, its not restricted to Nigerians. Everywhere in the world, hygeine related ilness are a major cause of death. So stop ranting abour Nigeriand being dirty. Why don't you try getting rid of the dirts if they irritate you that much. You can also try sensitizing people on the dangers they cause when they fling pure water bags out of their cars. Its not an issue to fight about, its a danger to everybody including the popel causing it. kiss

who cares angry another justification for your filthy habits angry angry Nigerians are dirty, take it or leave it. Accept reorientation and stop attacking a reasonable poster.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by oraclefemi(m): 9:01pm On Sep 06, 2008
Where do we pass our shait before ? no be bush ? Abeg leave oyinbo ideas alone , just joking . We need a change ! ok i will still pee anywhere if i dont see a clean public toilet nearby !
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by KarmaMod(f): 11:37pm On Sep 06, 2008
I keep papers or cans to look for where to dispose them on the streets, my friends always laugh and call me "oyinbo"

same here.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Outstrip(f): 12:29am On Sep 07, 2008
@ frizy, it might sound funny but does it not piss you off when people label you "oyibo" for doing the right thing. Black people sha. Even here in the US (thank God things are changing) it used to be and is still is to a small degree that if you dressed a certain way or spoke a certain way or wanted to do certain things that would only improve your life you were seen as "acting white". Then you are trying to simply dispose of trash and you are labelled oyibo. It makes you wonder if black people in general do not have this idea that white people are just expected to do well and excel while we as blacks should not be expected to do these basic things that a human being should know to do. It is even embarassing that a Nigerian will call you Oyibo for wanting to simply throw away trash responsibly.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by kingdong(m): 1:33am On Sep 07, 2008
Na wa! Some of the most disgusting replies i have ever read on Nairaland. Joke na joke, serious is serious. Someone raises a very, very, valid topic, Seun who i mistakenly (why, i must have been confused) thought should know better vomits ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, fellow dirty people rush to support their master and the country in general is worse off for it.

If other countries are filthy, must we be? Abeg make seun and im litterbugs carry una nonsense arguement and condemnation for poster go where? Dustbin of course. Only then would you be able to pocket your gala wrap till you see a bin. Wasiu don sing am for una, nko ti o da, o da. No story, anyother thing asides that is a loooooooooooooooooooooooong thing.

Eko o ni baje, the baje wey e don baje before make we in our own little little ways contribute to un baje-ing it and stop blowing big big grammer. ema ya gbe si titi, koda.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by nuggard(m): 2:27am On Sep 07, 2008
suggestion.

Zonal forced and supervised sanitations should be done.
For instance,The agencies or ministries of works, environment, housing together with the police would on alternate weeks cordon off certain streets and supervise people cleaning their compounds and gutters. If you prevent them from doing their usual saturday trade for 3 weeks they would make it a habit to clean their immediate environments afterwards.

Obviously bigger projects like providing waste bins and disposal are in the hands of the government.

Peeps who are like blah blah everyone else is doing it, the truth is that it is a reflection of the quality of life you that you desire.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 07, 2008
@ Nuggard: Very well said.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by danyashi(m): 11:15am On Sep 07, 2008
I think its better to think that we are the dirtiest nation on earth so that we can start thinking of how we can improve our backyards. undecided
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by carmelily: 12:35pm On Sep 07, 2008
i repeat. undisputed. dirtiest nation.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by FlyDiva(f): 10:49pm On Sep 07, 2008
Nuff said on this topic, big ups to tollu, dreeldee, kingdong and others that have aat least a sense of right and wrong. As for the likes of Seun and his undertows, shame on you, you should know better,
For the record, the OP never said Only nigerians are dirty, read it again but she's referring to the one she's mostly aware of, capisce?
Get real people, we all know the right things to do, then let's do it. simple.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by slyk2(m): 9:38am On Sep 08, 2008
we shall start by training ourselves.
also, why not the authorities get some worth of a police to do that.
coz, today the fear of LATSMA in Lagos state is making motorists drive well.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by tollu: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2008
Ujujoan:

@ poster, Good point, but your accusations suck. People are dirty, its not restricted to Nigerians. Everywhere in the world, hygeine related ilness are a major cause of death. So stop ranting abour Nigeriand being dirty. Why don't you try getting rid of the dirts if they irritate you that much. You can also try sensitizing people on the dangers they cause when they fling pure water bags out of their cars. Its not an issue to fight about, its a danger to everybody including the popel causing it. kiss

That's exactly the point of this post, SENSITIZING. p.s I'm not fighting

Fly Diva:

Nuff said on this topic, big ups to tollu, dreeldee, kingdong and others that have at least a sense of right and wrong.

I'm quite impressed with the number of sensible people on Nairaland. From the replies they made, I didn't have to come on here to defend myself or try to drive my point home. Y'all also made a good number of suggestions that can be worked on.
To borrow an anti-HIV sign-off: This cleanliness issue begins with me and you, so we can all make an impact.

@Sly
LOL, you should see V.I these days, things are a whole lot better. The fear of LASTMA is truly the beginning of wisdom.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by aadun: 10:17pm On Sep 08, 2008
People are funny sometimes,
Yes some parts of Naija is inevitably dirty,but problems reported generally seem to end with someone trying to point to western countries as examples of how it should be done, sadly it generally is done partially and some folks are still suprised when people get defensive,
In the west a lot of crap which is kept well under wraps goes on, at least in naija folks peeing the bushes when I compare it to some people in the west where there are accessible safe public toilets who will pee on the bus, on the road,on the pavements and vomit everywhere and anywhere because they got so damn drunk they had no control of their faculties on a weekend, or should we discuss the dog poo you will walk into if you dare take your eyes of the pathway, and ofcourse the regular crap is dropped on the road too like is done in naija, but you know what the difference between the west and naija,it's called having a local govt which pays people to clean the mess up daily,does naija have such fortitude ,where should the naija folks pee really with no public loos available, I just can't see this as a like for like comparism at all,
Naija govt has so much work to do,
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Arielle: 12:47am On Sep 09, 2008
@ Nuggard. I think thats the problem right there. Why do grown ass people need to be forced to keep their immediate environment clean? Since when is personal hygiene a government thing? So government needs to show us how to wipe our butts too?
For the people talking about bins not being provided, what happened to those that were provided sometime ago? I remember some years ago in Lagos state taxis were provided with little plastic baskets for passengers to put their rubbish into. What happened to them? No-one ever used them.
Truth be told, an overwhelming number of Nigerians have filthy habits. People hawk out nasty green or yellow phlegm from their throats and spit out right on the road. I've seen it countless times. And whats with the pooing in broad day light in full view of everyone? You have to be an animal to do that, whatever the circumstance. I'd rather crap in my pants if I have the runs and there's no-where else to do it. What happened to a little discretion and self-respect?
And whatever happened to environmental sanitation? Most people acted like it was a prison sentence, being confined to your homes for 3 hours one Saturday in a month to clean your environment. Which wouldn't be necessary if it had been done in the first place. Sorry, I forgot, we have to be forced to do everything. Who ever hears of environmental sanitation anymore.
What I don't get is that some of these people maintain clean homes. But outside their gate is a mountain of rubbish and tall grass littered with refuse. Why would someone keep his home so tidy and drop refuse or spit in the street with impunity? Its this same "I got mine" mentality that continues to bedevil us. "What is mine is fine and what is ours is crap", abi?
I couldn't give a rat's ass what happens in London or Burkina Faso or how filthy Jo'burg is. I live in Nigeria and that is what concerns me.
And until we get it together and drag our heads out of the sand, we will continue to wallow in filth, disease and denial.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by tpia: 12:49am On Sep 09, 2008
please.

Anyone living somewhere with no toilet, should relocate to a cheaper place where they can have a better quality of life.  You can live in Ogun state or somewhere else besides the slums, and commute to lagos daily like so many others are doing. Where there's a will, there'll eventually be a way.

I fully understand and sympathize with people's plight, but sometimes folks should get themselves out of the ghetto before the govt brings bulldozers to force them out.

Lagos slums arent supposed to be a permanent address for anyone.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by kingdong(m): 2:44am On Sep 09, 2008
Arielle:

What I don't get is that some of these people maintain clean homes. But outside their gate is a mountain of rubbish and tall grass littered with refuse. Why would someone keep his home so tidy and drop refuse or spit in the street with impunity? Its this same "I got mine" mentality that continues to bedevil us. "What is mine is fine and what is ours is crap", abi?
[b]I couldn't give a rat's ass what happens in London or Burkina Faso or how filthy Jo'burg is. I live in Nigeria and that is what concerns me.[/b]And until we get it together and drag our heads out of the sand, we will continue to wallow in filth, disease and denial.

Dude, God bless you.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by isaco(m): 4:34am On Sep 09, 2008
Well, to me Nigerians are so ,great but we do not respect law. that is why some find themselves in prison for just a little sin or let me call it ingnorance. l read a report on " How to avoid Police and Criminal cases" wounderful. l pitty the

inmates. Nigerians, lets keep our environment clean and respect the LAW of the land.

yemmy2k@gmail.com
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by kadman(m): 11:14am On Sep 09, 2008
BIG UP to Tollu & Kingdong. I don't understand the ass licking on this site ? Seun would say something very foolish REGULARLY : Imagine him justifying dirt & waste throwing on roads,and you'll see other users chanting his praises. Is there a way his online money is getting to his followers ? If there is then I should be told ASAP.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by lekansy(m): 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2008
I believe some of us are guilty.you cannot blame those that throw dirts out their car even though the act is dirty?the reason being that not everybody will remember to put bins in their car.i wish all cars come with bins.especially the commercial cars.The only way we can change is when the kick against indiscipline kai official perform their duty efficiently through imposition of fines on those caught.

http://amhealthy..com
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by davidif: 8:04pm On Sep 09, 2008
First of all, the whole of Nigeria is not as dirty as you describe. Just some parts of Lagos, and Aba.

People throwing things out of their vehicles: yes, that's bad, but it's not the reason we have floods in Lagos. We have floods in Lagos because it rains a lot. That's all there is to it. The gutters are not clogged because people throw waste in their gutters; the gutters are clogged because there's no place for the water to flow into. Much of Lagos is around sea level and the gutters don't reach everywhere. Many roads don't have gutters at all.

Question: Why don't Nigerians always use waste bins. Answer: which waste bins?

Why do Nigerians often pee in the bushes instead of peeing in toilets? Answer: which toilets? When was the last time you saw a public toilet in Oshodi or by the side of any road in Lagos? What do you do when you have to pee and there's no toilet close by? Question: Where do white people pee when they are camping? Answer: In the bushes, just like Lagosians. If you have a problem with that, go and construct public toilets in Oshodi.

Nigerians and their habit of complaining instead of taking concrete steps: can we ever change?

@seun
O ri e pe jo. God Bless you.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Arielle: 10:09pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Kingdong, I'm a girl, not a dude!! Is your name really what it implies? Scary!! LOL
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by elow(m): 10:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
Three different models of 3 series BMWs are for sale at fair prices.
89 model, 93 model and a 2000 model.all in ace conditions. Interested peeps can holla
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Rams(m): 1:08am On Sep 10, 2008
@Frizy:  The same thing happened when I visited a year ago.  I carried all my suya paper in my hands looking for a proper place to throw it away.  One of my friends just laughed as he slapped it out of my hands and told me, "this is Nigeria, just throw it on the floor."
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by FBS: 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2008
Rams:

@Frizy: The same thing happened when I visited a year ago. I carried all my suya paper in my hands looking for a proper place to throw it away. One of my friends just laughed as he slapped it out of my hands and told me, "this is Nigeria, just throw it on the floor."
your friend must be a very dirty person, can he/she throw rubbish in his/her own living room?

needless to say, I don't think it has anything to being a Nigerian.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by tollu: 5:12pm On Sep 10, 2008
kadman:

BIG UP to Tollu & Kingdong. I don't understand the ass licking on this site ? Seun would say something very foolish REGULARLY : Imagine him justifying dirt & waste throwing on roads,and you'll see other users chanting his praises. Is there a way his online money is getting to his followers ? If there is then I should be told ASAP.

Now, wouldn't you just like to know?

Arielle:

@Kingdong, I'm a girl, not a dude!! Is your name really what it implies? Scary!! LOL

LOL girl, get your mind outta the gutter cheesy

elow:

Three different models of 3 series BMWs are for sale at fair prices.
89 model, 93 model and a 2000 model.all in ace conditions. Interested peeps can holla

Sienna!, Sienna!!, Sienna!!!, your rocket launcher and karate skills are needed right here. Spammers ahoy.

Rams:

@Frizy: The same thing happened when I visited a year ago. I carried all my suya paper in my hands looking for a proper place to throw it away. One of my friends just laughed as he slapped it out of my hands and told me, "this is Nigeria, just throw it on the floor."

That's the way it is here. So we the 'sane' have our work cut out for us trying to ensure people do not litter the streets.

KEEP YOUR ENVIRONMENT CLEAN PEOPLE.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by kadman(m): 12:16am On Sep 11, 2008
Rams:

@Frizy:  The same thing happened when I visited a year ago.  I carried all my suya paper in my hands looking for a proper place to throw it away.  One of my friends just laughed as he slapped it out of my hands and told me, "this is Nigeria, just throw it on the floor."

Lol at him slapping the suya paper out of your hand. I don't know why but that's crazily funny.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by blesdman(m): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2008
The issue raised here will not be of any interest or meaning if a solution is not proferred.
Very true, Nigeria is dirty. But it is dirty because most of the people are dirty.
What can be done is that a reorientation campaign be run to senSITISE THEPEOPLE on environmentAL cleanliness.
Of course, I CAN SUGGEST A FIRM TO HANDLE THIS PROJECT,
aND A TASK FORCE BE EMPLOYED TO EXECUTE THIS PROJECT.
Re: Nigerians And Dirty Habits: Can We Ever Change? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 11, 2008
tollu:

Sienna!, Sienna!!, Sienna!!!, your rocket launcher and karate skills are needed right here. Spammers ahoy.

Lol, unfortunately, I have no jurisdiction in the Health section. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BUA Donates Additional ₦350 Million To CACOVID / Please, What Can I Use For Beard Growth / How I Cured My Long-term Gonorrhea With Red And Yellow Capsule With Regal Gin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.