Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,872 members, 7,909,268 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 09:23 PM

Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? (12023 Views)

Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? / Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by chamotex(m): 1:42pm On Sep 11, 2008
carmelily:

na inside AIR the person put the AKAMU?

until I spell it out for you abi cheesy u just want me to get banned sha grin grin grin grin grin

where AKAMU dey enter? cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by sweetchi(f): 1:58pm On Sep 11, 2008
they both own the children.the point the woman is tryin to make is that she is not maltreating the children she gave birth to,all she is trying to do is discipline them so that they will turn out to be better children in future.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by carmelily: 2:00pm On Sep 11, 2008
chamotex:

where AKAMU dey enter? cheesy cheesy

answer that for yourself then tell me who "owns" the child. My point which u missed in my last post is: IT TAKES TWO.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2008
I think the question of who owns the child should not even comes up at all, they children belongs to both parents, and when it comes to descipline, i think they need to both agreed on it, however beating a child mercilessly, i think it is wrong, there is nothing wrong in descipline a child, but with stick and all those brooms? i think that is getting too much, cos that is abuse and no more descipline.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by damiso(f): 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2008
carmelily:

answer that for yourself then tell me who "owns" the child. My point which u missed in my last post is: IT TAKES TWO.

word.i beleive no one owns a child.every individual was created in God's and parents are just caretakers of that gift.my parents are my parents but definitely do not[b] own[/b] me.

They were just a pathway and model for what God wanted me to become in life.Of which i commend them for doing an excellent job.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2008
damiso:

word.i beleive no one owns a child.every individual was created in God's and parents are just caretakers of that gift.my parents are my parents but definitely do not[b] own[/b] me.

They were just a pathway and model for what God wanted me to become in life.Of which i commend them for doing an excellent job.

Well said. kudos
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by skfa1: 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2008
Please Lander who is the owner of the children, the woman or the man?

All of the above grin
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by favcom(m): 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2008
preference vs owning
another grammar war has just started in nairaland
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by Emad(f): 2:55pm On Sep 11, 2008
the WOMAN!!

and in this case she was marely trying not to spar the rod and spoil the child

When those children grow up Sploit now, the father willl blame it all on the woman

if those children grow up successful, the father will beat his chest and say : My children My children forgetting
that it is the mother who discplined then for sucess
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2008
Sparing the rod dont really mean spoiling the child, the kinda rod used in Nijah is not the kinda rod that God was talking about oh, cos i have seen parents using the stick used in making amala to beat the kids, i have seen them using brooms, that is wickedness.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by eudio(f): 3:08pm On Sep 11, 2008
when the child is doing well, na papa get am

but if the reverse is the case, na mama get am

this is how it is in this part of the world, i no gree at all.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by spora1: 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2008
A man and his wife were getting a divorce at a local court. But the custody of their child posed a problem.

The mother jumped to her feet and protested to the judge that since she had brought the child into this world, she should retain custody of them.  The judge then asked the man for his defense.

After a long moment of silence, the man rose from his chair and replied, "Judge, when I put a N100.00 in a vending machine and a Pepsi comes out, does the Pepsi belong to me or to the machine?"

The judge, citing jurisdiction excuse, subsequently transferred the case to the supreme court for proper adjudication. The supreme court eventually transferred the case to the International Court of Justice. As I am typing this, the ICJ is still looking for the courier service to send the case to the Court of God.

When the matter is finally resolved I will inform everybody.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by MrCrackles(m): 3:15pm On Sep 11, 2008
chamotex:

who put AKAMU inside? lipsrsealed cool

na Kemi-Suga wey put the Akamu inside!
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 3:20pm On Sep 11, 2008
We just making a big deal of this, they shd both seek for the best of the kid and they will both be proud they did.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by faoni572(m): 3:53pm On Sep 11, 2008
if the child is smart, na me get am. if the child is dumb, na mama get am

lol   cheesy grin
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by kemisuga(f): 3:59pm On Sep 11, 2008
People are saying Father owns the child.

Is it the father that bath the child, cloth her, cook for her, feed her, drop her in the school, pick her up @ school, react when another child try to beat her, wash her clothes, help her with her assignment, buy clothes and shoes for her, plait her hair etc
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 4:00pm On Sep 11, 2008
kemisuga:

Is it the father that bath the child, cloth her, cook for her, feed her, drop her in the school, pick her up @ school, react when another child try to beat her, wash her clothes, help her with her assignment, buy clothes and shoes for her, plait her hair etc

if you go by that definition of yours, it simply means that many father owns all the kids, cos there are so many father that does all that.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by faoni572(m): 4:13pm On Sep 11, 2008
kemisuga:

The only one that I can't do is in bold which I can easily pay somebody to do it for me
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by kemisuga(f): 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2008
Rhino and Faoni for how long can you do all those? For days or weeks?
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by kenflipper(m): 4:37pm On Sep 11, 2008
Culturally the mother is suppose to own the child 60%-40%, but scientifically they both own it, with the man owning 60%-40% for the woman.
Remember the sayin only a woman can tell who the true father of a child is?  most men plant seeds without watch over it. While women nuture till death do them part.
Scientifically with out a man's seed there isnt any magic a woman can perform and a man can decide to transfer is seeds from one vineyard to another depending on his comfortability.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by hilli666(m): 4:44pm On Sep 11, 2008
I was infamaous for knocking out a teacher that flogged my little brother, leaving the poor boy with scars on his back. I am highly territorial and protective of my family, even my mother and father refused to beat my siblings in front of me. So i cant immagine it would be any different with my children (when I decide to have them)

With regards to the main topic of disscussion, I think both parents share equal ownership of the child or children, and as such, should both adopt a proactive role in the upbringing of a child. A sad diagnosis as many parents see children as a burden instead of a blessing.

Parents who persistently beat their children, are mostly frustrated people. (most of the nigerian population are) The severity of such beating are purely a form of transfered agression, and are highly ineffective when it come to disciplining a child.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by jacq(f): 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2008
Both man en woman ! bicos the child is carrying both their genes.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 5:30pm On Sep 11, 2008
kemisuga:

Rhino and Faoni for how long can you do all those? For days or weeks?

for how long can u do what?
i will cook daily if i have to, and i dont see any big dal in changing the baby, common, dont forget he/she is my child, so time has changed when a man will be flipping the TV channels and the woman will be running from kitchen to the nursery, i rather help so that me and the Mom cld have enuf time to enjoy each other, that is what is called a real man.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 11, 2008
whoever pays the bills and washes the clothes and body of the child. But come on, how would u like to own a person? Ridiculous! That line of thinking is meant for folks who can't provide for themselves at later age. Save ur money by having one or two children and care less to own anyone. This is d way out and forward.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by elozino: 6:20pm On Sep 11, 2008
seems most ladies in-house are routing for the woman as the owner of the child

and most guys are routing for the man as the owner

but i think both of them own the child, cos dey both contributed in bringing dem to life.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by bastrin(f): 6:40pm On Sep 11, 2008
angry angryI guess the child shld b allowed to grow n wen it is of age she will knw who the owner is. angry angry
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by ssRhino: 7:09pm On Sep 11, 2008
bastrin:

angry angryI guess the child shld b allowed to grow n when it is of age she will knw who the owner is. angry angry

that is a good one.
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by UNLEASHED(m): 7:43pm On Sep 11, 2008
None of the above!
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by pamboogie(f): 9:27pm On Sep 11, 2008
Where i'm from, the father owns the child but if the father was absent and the child raised solely by the mother , the child belongs to the mother, with the mother even having rights to have the child answer her maiden name. but in the case of the blatant child abuse being committed by ur neighbor, i'm in agreement that they'll realise who owns the child when the woman kills the poor kids. angry
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by seyibrown(f): 7:19am On Sep 12, 2008
I think the child belongs to whoever feeds him, clothes him and loves him!
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by biolabee(m): 8:36am On Sep 12, 2008
the question by the post is not a frivolous topic as suggested by some in the house
it is quite valid.
the answer depends on the cultural context.

typically in a paternalistic setting like Africa, ancient Sparta the child belongs to the man while in some other cultures the woman takes all ownership of the child. Like in China/Ghana men actually bear names from their mothers.

There is this proverb if a child succeeds it the man's but if (s)he fails its the moms very patriachal and outdated,
Re: Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? by guy4real: 9:12am On Sep 12, 2008
perhaps the child has two "fathers"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! / .. / Are You Having A Hard Time Making Babies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.