Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:44 AM

How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (26823 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? / Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 7:01pm On Sep 12, 2008
Well, this may not really fall into politics but i believe it's an issue in governance. I wonder what informed the policy for the NYSC scheme and i also wonder, is it still relevant in this dispensation?

Is the programme meant to provide cheap labour for employers?
Is it meant to give fresh graduates something to call "work experience" before entering the job market
Or is it just a compulsory service to the nation( without adding values to anyone) ?

Should this programme really continue and how can it be made more effective?
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ssRhino: 7:05pm On Sep 12, 2008
I think this will be one of the best thread i will see on this forum.
I have thought about the usefulness of the service thing as well and i see None, and to make matter worse, i heard, u cant even run for office in Nigeria if you dont serve Nigeria in the "Now Your Suffering Continue" program, something where they are paid almost nothing, subject to something that will add no value to their lifes, where someone that just had a degree in Engineering is made to teach elementary school in English?
Na wa for Nigeria sha, if they wanna make them serve Nija for real, why not register them all in Ecomog?
But i am sure that soon, things will change.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by janami(f): 7:31pm On Sep 13, 2008
well there are two sides to a coin, just like this NYSC thing.
The government claim to bring all ethnic groups together through the programme, but unfortunately, we find thatrather than help eradicate tribalism, it rather encourages it. People of thesame tribe usually enjoy sticking together.

The government talk about giving experience to the fresh graduates, i would rather call this exploitation. I am not against working for the government, but i beleive corpers should be compensated well for their service to the nation.

But i like the three weeks orientation campsmiley it is nice and fun (except those early morning jogging sha  tongue

To be sincere, it is not really relevant, its just a waste of one more year of a graduate's life. They can keep orientation camp and scrap primary assignment
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by aahmed112: 8:12pm On Sep 13, 2008
True tho, d essence of d program has bin lost. However, I think they shud keep it n try n improve on it as it kind of helps the unemployment rate. If all that graduated from the public, private and foreign universities were churned directly into the labour market, problem go dey!

With all the funny criteria these employers set these days, and all the 'man-know-man' u need to get a job, wud b a tog of war. At least I knw pple wit 3rd class who get into organisations on the NYSC platform, make their marks and they warm up to their bosses, and they work out Full employment terms from there,

n at least ur sure ur not 2 b so broke jus after graduation, smiley
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by janami(f): 8:27pm On Sep 13, 2008
aahmed112:

n at least your sure your not 2 b so broke jus after graduation, smiley
lol.
But  seriously shey u know some people have to wait for years before they get their call up letters
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by aahmed112: 9:03pm On Sep 13, 2008
smiley true tho, but truth still is job seeking wud b a lot more cumbersome without NYSC.

If all the people who hav never skooled ere can fly in n jus take jobs dat a local cud hav taken, den problem go dey, cos der r so many nigerian passports out der in europe n america,
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Anuliph(f): 10:36pm On Sep 13, 2008
I think NYSC should be scrapped or totally overhauled. At the moment, its just a huge waste of time. Corpers are not treated well both in camp and outside.
Moreover, this is a democracy, it should be optional. The only reason we tolerate the nonsense they dish out to us is coz of that fake certificate we need to get work.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by janami(f): 7:11pm On Sep 15, 2008
Anoda prob of the NYSC i would point out here is the lack of security of the corpers sent to strange lands to go and serve

According to the news, a corper in calabar was stabbed and left in the pool of his own blood during their endurance trek by a masquerade

Another man in a letter to the punch today stated that he was accosted by irate youths in aba and onitsha where his wife was serving when he went to see her when they sighted his strange registration number, they demanded that he part with a huge sum of money.

I think corpers should be given better security in their service to the nation
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 7:14pm On Sep 15, 2008
While i may not be advocating total scrapping of the scheme, i just wonder if that is how it works in other places, especially America, where they have such schemes.

I believe government can put up some measure to just make it more appealing. In our days, we used to look forward to it. But these days, guys just want to pay someone to do it for them while they go look for a job.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ssRhino: 7:26pm On Sep 15, 2008
I think overhauling would be a good idea, and they shd give excemption to those that studied out of Nigeria.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Afam(m): 7:54pm On Sep 15, 2008
The NYSC is still relevant.

May be we all need to be realistic about our expectations as regards the scheme.

There are people that would never have left their state of origins if not for the scheme and that alone is a good point.

For those that are serious it gives one the final opportunity to make mistakes and get away with them, something you cannot really do in real employment.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Reese1: 7:54pm On Sep 15, 2008
and to make matter worse, i heard, u can't even run for office in Nigeria if you don't serve

and they should give excemption to those that studied out of Nigeria.

THANK YOU!! May you live long!!!  That is the part that grates my last nerve about the whole program. It's very very inhibiting to those who actually want to serve the country but nooooo you can't cuz you didn't do NYSC cuz you happened to school outside the country.  angry
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by onlysose(m): 8:21pm On Sep 15, 2008
I am  a  complete northerner, when I  was serving in delta  state it was like  this   is  hell. after  a  while I  got  used  to  the village setting in delta  ibo and  then became  part  of them  . it   is  a  one  in  a  life time  experience

I a  lot of schools in nigeria that completely rely on corper labor. those that complained in   this tread  were tho se  that tried  to bribe  their   posting and failed.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ssRhino: 8:50pm On Sep 15, 2008
Reese1:

THANK YOU!! May you live long!!! That is the part that grates my last nerve about the whole program. It's very very inhibiting to those who actually want to serve the country but nooooo you can't because you didn't do NYSC because you happened to school outside the country. angry

And some pple will be complaing that pple out of Nigeria dont wanna get involved, and yet the power to do so is not within our reach.
onlysose:

I am a complete northerner, when I was serving in delta state it was like this is hell. after a while I got used to the village setting in delta ibo and then became part of them . it is a one in a life time experience

I a lot of schools in nigeria that completely rely on corper labor. those that complained in this tread were tho se that tried to bribe their posting and failed.

that is nice that u enjoyed it, at least you are a positive news out of many, and hope cos of that, they cld keep it, but overhaul it.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 6:27pm On Sep 16, 2008
$$Rhino:

I think overhauling would be a good idea, and they should give excemption to those that studied out of Nigeria.

Well, if we all agree that the scheme helps people to mix with other cultures and peoples, helps to serve as a training school and gives opportunity for mistakes to be made and rectified before the real work and that it also provides "cheap" labour for some schools where such corpers teach, then i don't think anyone should be exempted.

That is where we see our true patriotism. Those who schooled abroad should also meet with their mates in camp, mingle with them to know their orientation and psychology because when they start working, they are the people the "abroad" graduates will still interact with. so let them start blending from the camp and service year.

The service year will also serve to re-orientate the "abroad" graduates who may have gone for too long about our values and culture which they may have forgotten.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ssRhino: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2008
jintujinta:

The service year will also serve to re-orientate the "abroad" graduates who may have gone for too long about our values and culture which they may have forgotten.

but i am not sure that they have such program, dont think pple that studied abroad are allowed into the program.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by bawomolo(m): 6:55pm On Sep 16, 2008
i have heard of folks from abroad going to the NYSC after their bachelors. it's possible.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by texazzpete(m): 7:02pm On Sep 16, 2008
All i see here is a bunch of whiners.
If you come from overseas, then you have to serve your country. It's a patriotic act, and i support the refusal of empoloyment to people without the certificate. If you're overage, you can get an exemption certificate which allows you to work in Nigeria.

I served in 2004, i went through hell. But then again in these dark days there should be some virtue in doing some good for your country.

In some countries in the world, there is compulsoryy 1 year millitary service. This happens in countries even far more developed than Nigeria. You think NYSC sucks? Try one year in the Army. And God save you if your country is fighting a war at that moment.

The NYSC scheme needs improvement, sure, but it should NEVER be scrapped!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Afam(m): 7:19pm On Sep 16, 2008
Tell them make dem hear.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 7:35pm On Sep 16, 2008
$$Rhino:

but i am not sure that they have such program, don't think people that studied abroad are allowed into the program.

They are allowed into the programme, as long as your institution is recognized in Nigeria. The service year, in my time offered more than the parade and jamboree thing. There were manuals for the three major languages- Hausa, igbo and yoruba, so that people from other tribes could learn other languages. There were also seminars that speakers came to deliver.

It was an opportunity to really mix and taste life from other cultures' point of view and get to know things that were really required for starting life. I dont know if such seminars and workshop still exist on the NYSC scheme. But am sure the abroad graduates will also have one or two things to learn before getting into the main labour market in Nigeria. I believe it is a kind of "acclimatization" for them.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by janami(f): 7:43pm On Sep 16, 2008
yep, we still have such seminars. HIV/ AIDS, seminars on security, classes on indegenous languages and stuff, but i am betting you had better living conditions on and off camp
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by bebe2007(m): 4:53pm On Sep 17, 2008
Nurture ur Your Skills Completely.
U wud play a fool 2 ur employer 4 1 yr if u dont serve .
if u school 4 jand or 4 yank ,stay dere no come hostle here.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by bawomolo(m): 6:25pm On Sep 17, 2008
bebe2007:

if u school 4 jand or 4 yank ,stay dere no come hostle here.

what??
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by SegzyJoe(m): 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2008
@ post

Who says NYSC is not relevant? Initailly I objected to going for service but later I changed my mine,  but I must confess NYSC service year has done me much good than I can ever imagine. Infact I enjoyed every bit of it.

First, I have many friends from all over the coutry today because of I went for service. In the course of the service I put up for voluntary service at my spare time which really sparked my passion for helping people. I served in Edo state, Benin in particular, and I met people that will forever be part of my life.

I also volunteered for NYSC?UNICEF training as Peer Educators. I really did my best to spread the awareness of RH/HIV, this was what I enjoyed most in the service year, I implemented projects in this direction and i never regret going for service.

After the service I contineued the voluntary service cultivated at the service year and with the industriousness and selfless service spirit of NYSC, today it has raised my status in life. I got a job in an Int'l Devt Agency just because of all I did at the Youth service. I also won many awards.

All I can say about NYSC is that if you re a purposeful person, the service year offers young people a post graduation opportunity to lay a good foundation for their life.

Below is a few lines from the valedictory address I delivered at the end of service year party;

"The state Director……. all other protocol duly observed. About a year ago, we the batch “B” Corps Members were mobilized from our respective states for this batch of national service.

Today’s send off party however give us a remarkable opportunity to reflect on the service year. For more than three (3) decades, the National Youth Service Scheme has upheld the noble ideas of our nation, by inculcating in the youth the spirit of patriotism, dedication to duty, tolerance, exemplary leadership, hard work and selfless service to the nation.

The sacredness of the National Service’s idea is better seen in its promotion of national integration and development. Year after year, the National Service Scheme provides a rallying point through which youths from diverse socio-cultural backgrounds share views and ideas on national issues.

I have no doubt that the experience gained from the Scheme will contribute in no small way to prepare and equip Corps Members for the challenge of building a new Nigeria. The challenge of moving Nigeria forward is enormous, hence Corps Members are expected to demonstrate high degree of courage, enterprise and integrity in the discharge of future assignment.

To whom much is given, much is also expected. The Nigeria nation has given us opportunity to be educated, we should therefore be a worthy ambassador of a new Nigeria.

I need to remind Corps Members that there are hundreds of thousands of graduates out there looking for jobs, but it is my candid opinion that if the experiences gained from the service year is properly channeled into productive venture, the sky cannot be the limit.

Likewise, the batch “A” Corps Members should see the service year as a unique opportunity to lay a good foundation for a better tomorrow. The service year provides you an opportunity to learn new skills for the post service year. However, you must brace up for the challenges ahead, while avoiding any acts that will bring the good name of the Scheme to disrepute.

At this juncture, I will say that we are most fortunate to be here today. Some of our colleagues lost their lives in the course of the service year, they deserve our respect, they deserve our tribute… Shall will observe a minutes silence in respect of their passing memory…. On behalf of the entire Corps Members, National Youth Service Corps, and on behalf of a grateful nation … may your soul rest in peace…………, "

From the above lines from my speech, I will say for those people that knows whay they re doing NYSC still remain one the best opportunity to launch oneself to the future.

I agreed no institution is perfect in Nigeria, but as we all know the Nigerian spirit is unwaivering and ready to excell and make the best of every situation. This was my attitude during the service year and I didn't regret this.

I realized with that Khaki many people will really listen to you if you have an idea and even encourage you, but wait till when you removed that Khaki and you know that life is war out there. Young people can make you use of the goodwill and accesss the NYSC Khaki provides to prepare for the future.

Many people have found great foutunes and mistfortunes in the course of the service year, but the truth is as you lay your bed so you will lie on it.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jintujinta(m): 11:58am On Sep 18, 2008
Segzyjoe, i agree with most of your views but i also wish to state that a lot needs to be done in the area of accommodation and feeding in camp, then remuneration during service. Since most employers may not be able to provide accommodation for their corps members, the scheme should be able to provide initial allowance that will enable them to get accommodation or compel employers to give accommodation.

And i wonder how a corper can survive with N10,000 a month in Lagos. Yes, may be in other states but not Lagos.

I also think you should be part of the seminars for corpers, so you can share your ideas and opinion with the corpers and let them satrt seeing it in good faith. If possible, your organization can also visit final year students in universities to sensitize them to issues on NYSC.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by tRoOE(f): 6:31pm On Sep 18, 2008
[size=13pt]Judging from other peoples experiences(family members posted to North) I think NYSC is useless.
Am just planning to go for the 2 wks orientation which is compulsory, and the other process will be paid for
Gosh i don't see myself doing that crap, just thinking about it is freaking me out.
The only advantage for those of us that studied abroad is that we can pick the state we want
[/size]
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Gamine(f): 6:41pm On Sep 18, 2008
Its Three weeks actually.

NYSC must never be Scrapped o!!!

I think the Govt should stop focusing on chopping money through this scheme

and channel more into building better permanent camp sites

and engaging The Graduates in better working conditions.

The Aims of Nysc was to foster Unity amongst tribes after the whole Biafra saga

to provide job for the many jobless soldiers and to allow some people chop part of the national cake.

The only aim which is being achieved today is CHOPPING cake.

on camp, Unity is far away, All tribes tend to find themselves and stay with each other.

God help us!

NYSC MUST NOT be Scrapped
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Aiyetunje: 11:56am On Sep 19, 2008
Gamine, na you dey talk like dis? grin

Well, NYSC! It has its good and bad parts. On the whole, I would say it should not be scrapped. As someone here said it helps to absorb the huge mass of graduates for at least 1 year. But on the other hand, it could lead to a (very) false sense of safety & security which could come back & bite you in the ass!

It allows you to meet people and travel to places you would never dream of going to! I was in Yola, Adamawa camp for 3 weeks and my journey to and fro gave me a better, truer picture of what Nigeria really is like.

The highlight of the year (as far as I am concerned) is the 3 WEEKS in CAMP! Man I had a blast! It was FUN to say the least. . . wink

All in all, key things that need to be looked at include better remuneration, better utilization of corpers, better empowerment etc. teach corpers simple things such as First Aid (dont shout, i know you know the theory but can you actually carry it out when faced with an emergency)
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by tollu: 12:32pm On Sep 19, 2008
Scrapped ke? Not after I have started.
Spent a year at home waiting for school and Government to resolve their issues and some people here are campaigning for scrapping. Heavens forbid.

For the foreign graduates: you can come back for service even after your masters or better yet get an excemption letter. We had a lot of returnees on camp and they coped quite well, though there was small 'partia' and corps members had to kneel down on the parade ground for grumbling.  undecided

tRoOE:

[size=13pt]Am just planning to go for the 2 wks orientation which is compulsory, and the other process will be paid for

[/size]

Chick, you can blow your own trumpet! ahn ahn.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by habiolah(m): 1:02pm On Sep 19, 2008
not relevant!!!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by soulamanne(m): 1:27pm On Sep 19, 2008
really the aim behind this scheme is FANTASTIC but the people behind it now are corruption FANATICS.i think it shouldnt be scrapped but reviewed.maybe reduce the age so the REAL youth can take par and they will be really imparted cos the truth his 26+ yr old guys are thinkin ahead already and not CAMP again
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by chusben(m): 1:40pm On Sep 19, 2008
The full meaning of NYSC is, Nigerian Youths will Suffer in time to Come.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Marry Abia Indigene, Get 200k, Marry Fellow Corps Member, Get 100k - Hon. Chukwu / NYSC To Be Reformed Into Revenue-Generating Agency – FG / Latest Official Information For NYSC 2017 BATCH A Stream 2 Pcms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.