Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,957 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:00 AM

How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (26868 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? / Is Nigerian Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Worth Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by habiolah(m): 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2008
ah ah ah ah funny!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by MrCrackles(m): 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC is just a bloody waste of time!!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by habiolah(m): 2:25pm On Sep 19, 2008
I second that smiley
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by funmio2: 2:27pm On Sep 19, 2008
You can only advocate for the scrapping of a scheme if it doesn’t have any advantage. Though, it has its own set backs, but it should never be scrapped. What the scheme needs is for it to be examined thoroughly with a view for corrections or repairs.
Have you forgotten that so many relationships sprang up during NYSC year and invariably, many marriages. Aside that, there are so many advantages to it, that are immeasurable.
When I first got my NYSC posting letter and saw Akwa- Ibom, I was sad because I didn’t want to leave the western region, although I didn’t influence it. To tell you the truth, after my NYSC, I didn’t want to leave the place because I really enjoyed that one year period. The people I met during that period played a very significant positive role to where I am today. I had the opportunity to mingle with people that share different values from mine.
It is the way we take things that they come to us. If you want to have a positive attitude towards it, it will come to you positive and vice versa.
Maybe, a lot of people have the impression that it will be rosy, definitely not, but believe me it worth going for.
The most important thing that I will suggest is that posting should be as fair as possible without people influencing it.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by habiolah(m): 2:33pm On Sep 19, 2008
I second that too
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by luvli(f): 3:29pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC is wonderful! An exprience worth havin cheesy
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by habiolah(m): 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2008
Really!!
Tell me bout it!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Raimond(m): 3:46pm On Sep 19, 2008
The scheme is useless.I almost lost my life in the course of it:I will spare you the gory details,but the truth remains,the scheme is no more useful in present day Nigeria.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by amigoes(m): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC SUCKS,
SHOULD HAVE BEEN SCRAPPED LONG TIME AGO!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by amigoes(m): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2008
bloody time wasting scheme
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by amigoes(m): 4:04pm On Sep 19, 2008
ONLY GOD KNOWS THE POPULATION OF FRESH GRADUATES LOST THRU ACCIDENTS, ARMED ROBBERY ATTACKS AND THE LIKE,
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by amigoes(m): 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2008
At worst they should make the useless scheme optional!
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by dadisGAL(f): 4:08pm On Sep 19, 2008
I have read most of the views here & i must say i agree with most.But i can neva support d call 4 d scrapping of d progrgramme.Y?Now d scheme was put in place by d then head of state:Gowon as part of measures to re-unite d various parts of d country afta d civil war.
But everything has got its bad side.yes,now pple use their connections to influence where they want to b posted to among oda things.The shabby treament of corp members in a land strange to dem doesnt help matters.
I just finished my NYSC in Adamawa state & it was a memorable experience.Now am an indigene of cross river state who had neva been out of d shores of my place & 4 an adventurous person like me,dat has been hell.Besides isnt travelling,seeing new places and pple part of education?
Most of us stay in d comfort of our homes and believe wateva tale is been told about pple we hav neva met.an igbo friend told me dat wen he saw his posting to Adamawa,he began to cry because he believed dat he was going to b killed wit a dagger d moment he dropped 4rm d bus!But now he has been retained here & he wuldnt have wished 4 a beta deal.
I can only say dat despite d many ills of d scheme,it has been a blessing 2 many & it shud b improved but not srcapped.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ndubest(m): 4:14pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC is a noble scheme

Those that served with zeal enjoyed it
Those that served for the certificate whined before, during and after the service.
Those that hear only the bad side of the "tale" SCREAM for its SCRAPPING.

Surely the SCHEME needs overhauling just like most parastals and agencies in Nigeria.

Foreign graduates do serve and most of them come for the certificate and not for the experience which is quiet unfortunate.
If you are a foreign graduate and NYSC deny you the opportunity of serving, then check the status of your school as regards recognition world wide.

I Served, I enjoyed it and I encourage every Nigerian graduate whether abroad or at home to do the same.
If you want to serve for the certificate, then the boredorm will be so much for you.

Ask the US marines in Iraq what they are doing and the joy they feel when their time in Iraq is over.
Even US marine with all the Billions of dollars pumped into Iraq once complained of their welfare let alone NYSC that do not have adequate funding.

One love people
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by onyx79(m): 4:16pm On Sep 19, 2008
Simple Answer.
Two words.
"NOT RELEVANT".
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by dadisGAL(f): 4:17pm On Sep 19, 2008
Amigoes, Y r u so bitter?Without d scheme,calamities will still befall many.Pls look on d bright side,PLEASE.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by javalove(m): 4:27pm On Sep 19, 2008
SCRAP IT OR MAKE IT OPTIONAL. I HAVE BEEN SERVING NIGERIA FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS AND I WONT STOP SERVING.

ITS A WASTE OF TIME CONSIDERING OUR CURRENT PREDICAMENT. NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK IN THIS COUNTRY. LET THERE BE NO COMPULSION IN NYSC PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

@dadisGAL

Where in Adamawa did you serve? I'm in Adamawa presently to do a job, Mubi to be precise
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by amigoes(m): 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2008
dadisGAL:

Amigoes, Y r u so bitter?Without d scheme,calamities will still befall many.Please look on d bright side,PLEASE.
you got me,
We lost a promising young lady in JOS in 2000,
this thread brought back the memories,
fresh like say na today!
P-A-I-N-F-U-L.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by amigoes(m): 4:31pm On Sep 19, 2008
P-A-I-N-F-You-L=PAINFUL SEUN wetin happen?
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Cosjo(m): 4:46pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC should be scrapped. It is an initiative that is enriching some people. It is of no significant. I proposethis motion.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by SegzyJoe(m): 4:59pm On Sep 19, 2008
@ Jintutina,

Sincerely I agreed with you that a lot needs to be done to make the Scheme what it's suppose to be, but as you know, NYSC is just one of the institution of state that has been grossly affected by the syndrome of corruption that has crippled the Nigeria socio-economic and political system. How can one explain a situation where it is difficult for a responsible government to put hostel in place to accommodate Corps members, and you heard of billions been stolen everyday, its pathetic indeed.

But what can you do, I think one must strive to make the best of every situation. A responsible govt would have re-packaged the scheme to suit the yearning and aspiration of young people. Looking at the negative trends of everything in Nigeria, one can react in different ways, either in positive or negative ways. I always encourage friends to have a proactive view of life. Govt suppose to do this or that but they ve refuse to do them, then what do you do? For me i don't allow situation and circumstances to dictate my course in life rather I strive to make the best of every situation.

Yeah, I think the idea of sharing my experience with students and Corps Members is a good one, I promise I will explore that opportunity despite my tight schedule.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by dadisGAL(f): 5:07pm On Sep 19, 2008
Me bros ,i still dey here-o.In yola,infact am in d library @ AUN right now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCRAP IT OR MAKE IT OPTIONAL. I HAVE BEEN SERVING NIGERIA FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS AND I WONT STOP SERVING.

ITS A WASTE OF TIME CONSIDERING OUR CURRENT PREDICAMENT. NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK IN THIS COUNTRY. LET THERE BE NO COMPULSION IN NYSC PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
@dadisGAL

Where in Adamawa did you serve? I'm in Adamawa presently to do a job, Mubi to be precise
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC is a pure waste of time.
Unity indeed. You can't even get the different factions in yorubaland to come together peacefully and you want to unite the nation through some bullshit exercise.

Someone said foreign graduates get to choose their own state, Abeg can someone confirm this. I read on the nysc website that you can't choose your own state. I sure wish this is possible as i have no intention of ever going beyond the South-West.
If i decide to become Columbus, i will do it on my own and not through the NYSC programme.
I've heard of the fate of Southerners in the North during tribal clashes and i will "NEVER" go to the North.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by biggjoe(m): 5:23pm On Sep 19, 2008
I believe it still brings people from all over the country together. You can make friends from places you never imagined and experience things you never knew existed before.

I created this forum:   http://www.excorpers.com/forums/   for Ex Corps members. Former members can go there to meet again after their  NYSC experience.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ochiaha1(m): 6:30pm On Sep 19, 2008
The National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) scheme should be retained for the following reasons:

1. The NYSC program has enabled Nigerians who had previously not traveled out of their state of origin to do so and this has helped broaden their outlook on life.

2. It has helped to promote national integration; many westerners who have served in the east have come to find out that easterners, contrary to earlier held notions, are just ordinary people like themselves, so also the easterners who served in the west have also realised that the westerners are not hostile to strangers as they erroneously believed before. In many cases, inter-tribal marriages have been contracted as a result of this, personallly, I know of such cases.

However, the NYSC program should be restructed to bring in para-military training into it because of the following reasons:

1. During the time of war or emergency, many citizens would have been sufficiently trained in weapon handling and also would know how to react to any given emergency.

2. The school curriculum in Nigeria right now is producing many physically unfit individuals, for instance, I know of one incident where some private Secondary school students were out on their school field taking practical lessons in biology.During this lesson, a sudden downpour of rain occured and this resulted in about 80% of the pupils falling ill. This demonstrated that they were very soft and were not exposed to physical rigours; this lack of physical toughness is usually carried on to the tertiary level of education.

3. In other emergencies, an NYSC graduate will be able to learn how to locate the direction he is seeking to arrive at if he finds himself suddenly lost in the forest or desert (plane crashing, vehicle breaking down etc) as he could use the sun and stars as a sort of compass to find his bearing.

4. In other emergencies like a sniper going beserk or robbers shooting indiscriminately, the NYSC graduate will also learn the posture to adopt so as not to be picked easily by the sniper or hit by a stray bullet. I once saw some pictures in a foreign magazine where a sniper went mad and was shooting wildly at passers bye from a sky-scrapper in Belgium; most of the people on the street lay postrate on the ground to avoid being hit by the snipers bullets, one of the pictures that really struck me was that of  an old woman who lay on the ground like a military comando. I imagined if it were in Nigeria that this shooting occured what would have been the outcome; I believed that there would have been a lot of casualties as most people would have been running standing erect and they would have been very easy targets for the sniper to get.

5. The para-military training could be used as a sort of national orientation program to make NYSC Graduates to believe in the future and greatness of the country by instilling the necessary discipline and national pride in all the corp members.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by MeGaStReEt: 7:01pm On Sep 19, 2008
THE BEST/REASONABLE THREAD EVA

I don't know the use of the 4qin NYSc stuff either
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by kristkrest(m): 7:18pm On Sep 19, 2008
After 3 days at NYSC orientation camp, most corpers (Government Pikin), would wish there was nothin of its kind. But i bet ya, 3 days to the end of the orientation camp, these same 'Koffas' would wish there was an extension. For this statement, you can only call for my head if you are the insipid kind of fellow. I'd say the NYSC thing should be sustained if not for some reasons you might want to share with me but for one lttle poll i'd rather you help me run in your neighbourhood, ask 25 prospective 'Koffa' how much they know about their country Nigeria.
THUMBS UP NYSC
ALTHOUGH A LOT NEEDS TO BE DONE, I MEAN IMPROVEMENT.
arios-amingos 4 now. smileysmiley)
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by jaydude(f): 8:05pm On Sep 19, 2008
as for me,i dig d NYSC stuff, cant wait 4 november batch C.if no service,thousands of graduates will still b @ home jobless and aimless,so?? and u know half bread is better than none.and d experience,fun, and meetin new people, u guys shuld check it, the government just needs to make conditions better.
SegzyJoe i admire your profile n ur hard work, il also join d unicef or who clubs cos i have a strong passion for helping people , where did u work during service? keep up your acts of helping people!! wink
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by chi419: 9:33pm On Sep 19, 2008
well i tink NYSC is relevant to a point because when u get posted to a place,u get to meet people and maybe knw the traditions of the state, well as for me am liking where am serving ,but am really tired cus i cant wait to get a better job, but if is sumone that has sense u can still be serving and at the same time be catering and learning other things.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by thehomer: 9:50pm On Sep 19, 2008
NYSC should not be scrapped. I want to suffer after school. grin grin grin
But seriously I think the idea behind it is good. And there is room for improvement and rectification of the problems mentioned by the previous posters.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by na2day2(m): 11:00pm On Sep 19, 2008
very relevant, it made me travel to places in my entire life i wont even dream of going because they suck but when i got there, i learned new things.
Re: How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? by ssRhino: 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2008
so funny that someone wanna pay for NYSC time, na wa for Nija oh, i never knew that Nigeria has really gone nuts oh, s pple can even pay for such certificate too?
I am hearing this for the first time, that the important part is the first 3 weeks, pls guys confirm if that is true, cos i would love to experience it and what are the procedure to follow if someone never attended higher institution in Nigeria.
But i remember how i used to envy pple that wear that uniform.
I think the govt need to revamp the whole thing and make it a real true lasting experience for pple and not just a source for cheap labour.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corper Kidnapped In Rivers State Rescued (Photos) / Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market / 'We In The South Need To Start Loving Northerners, They're Cool" - Gombe Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.