Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,931 members, 7,872,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:21 AM

Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party (6037 Views)

More Igbo Youths Join MASSOB & IPOB Because Of Boko Haram Prisoners. / Boko Haram: Igbo, Yoruba Youths Join Hands Against Insurgency / Ekwusigo Youths Join Us Here On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by joshjosh(m): 10:27am On Sep 16, 2008
DeepZone:
there is no tribalism here. I just want to clarify that because a crime is committed in a certain geographical location doesn't m,an that it was committed by the indigenes besides, it's not right to talk down on people, it's  not very nice. i detest the crime and violence involved tho.

auntie funmi,  i had  thanksgiving too early for you didnt i?  this your lesser hajj seems to be waning quick now.  anyway someone else is reporting this on nairaland. what do you think?  evil and wickedness has no tribal marks otherwise you will say  ibos do all the political violence you see in yaruba land.  you may want to watch this clip. if you are too busy  just move  to 4.30 minutes and see how nigerians never seems to learn any lessons   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ReFoFp0Gs

[b][b][b][b]Romade Kidnaps A Yoruba Boy[/b][/b][/b][/b]
« on: Today at 10:18:10 AM »

A yoruba girl named ROMADE was having financial troubles,
so she decided to kidnap a child and demand a ransom.
She went to a local park, grabbed a little boy,
took him behind a tree and wrote this note:

I have kidnapped your child.
Leave N10,000 in a plain brown bag
behind the big tree in the park tomorrow by 7 AM.

Signed - "ROMADE"

She pinned the note inside the boy's jacket and told him to go straight home.
The next morning, she returned to the park to find the N10,000 in
a brown bag, behind the big oak tree, just as she had instructed.
Also inside the bag was the following note:

"Here is your money. I cannot believe that one Yoruba would do
this to another."

cruel joke this is bt fully
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Afam(m): 11:59am On Sep 16, 2008
Some people are trying to water down this serious issue by reproducing posts from other sources while others imply that the traders may be showing off hence the need to kidnap them.

Some people here are mere ethnic bigots and there is nothing they can do to hide their very despicable penchant for hatred based on race or ethnicity. These people stink to high heavens, real shame.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 2:25pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by ssRhino: 2:55pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia:

from original article:

@ bolded: I agree. Its not normal for a Yoruba town. Its not like there's political unrest or stuff of that nature.

and I repeat- there's something weird about the whole thing.

They should reveal the names of the kidnappers, so people can know who they are.

I hope they've been arrested by the police?

Now i am so disappointed in you, you actually asking for the name of the kidnapper, in a nation where a name means nothing nor worth more than the paper and the identification that thy appeared on, a nation where anyone cld bear any name, and there names cld change daily and you can even get a national passport to support it.
Leave that one alone, and mind you there is no database of real names in the nation.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by ssRhino: 3:18pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia:

why are you so afraid of knowing the identities of the kidnappers?

and you are lying through your teeth here. Nigerians consider names very important. People's origins can be traced through their names, and even if someone changes their name to reflect their current residence, they can still be traced through their grandparents or actual family names.

You must be out of touch with Nigera, like so many others who spout nonsense everywhere on this site.

Who is talking of passport? Are the kidnappers travelling overseas?

The Oba of Owo has intervened in this case (thats more than can be said for some other parts of Nigeria). He and other Owo indigenes will be able to tell who exactly these kidnappers are, once they're located and brought to book.

However, don't let me stop you from throwing your pity party and feeling sorry for yourself.

U getting it all wrong dude, pls tell me how they will determine the names of the kidnappers?
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 3:31pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 3:45pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by ssRhino: 4:00pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia:

please go back and reread the post which is getting you all hot under the collar.

Just answer the question now, how would they determine the name of the kidnappers, please, i am waiting.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by 1luvkipsus: 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2008
They didn't know it could be this lucrative, they would have started it. You will see how they will take it to the next level. Trust them.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 4:44pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by ssRhino: 4:55pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia:

I don't see why I should double post on account of your ability to jump to conclusions.

So if you can't go back and reread in order to catch what you missed before, too bad.

I guess that proofs my point.
Since u cant tell us how the names of the kidnappers will be known by the authority, even afte they have been arrested, so i guess we just let go then.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Queenisha: 6:23pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia:

geez: NIGERIA IS NOT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!

As I keep reminding you people!

Nothing going on in Nigeria which hasnt happened before and in other places, for crying out loud! Kenya and Uganda also have deviant separatists- how has it stopped their govts from functioning?

You're in the UK: why not direct your attention to the problem of rising uncontrolled knife crime and what the British govt is doing to prevent it!

Why do you fellows always squeal like sacrificial sacrifices over every little thing!!!! grin

Are you not African? Even if you're isreali, ya DNA skin no dey black again? grin

Honey this particular thread is about some Yoruba youths specifically targetting Igbo traders in a town called Owo in Ondo state.
That is the scope of this discussion.
Pointing fingers at crimes all over the world is not the issue.

You tell us this is not normal in Yoruba towns.
where is it normal?
Is MEND as old as Nigeria?
Is kidnapping a normal act?
didn't they crop up one day upon us?
what do you call normal ?
Is a Chief justice of a nation slaughtered like nama in his own house normal ?
How about a taxi load of passengers disappearing and body parts found in a river,is that normal?
How about a man impregnating a mad woman because the babalawo/witch doctor says it's his prescription for wealth
Is that regarded a normal act in any part of Nigeria or an ill that has befallen us.
We have to be careful.
These blatant denials and finger pointing is not helping anyone
and to do it when the evidence stares you in the face is quite absurd
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 7:23pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Tonim(f): 7:30pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia:

Ibime is using the opportunity to bash Nigeria as you're all fond of doing

Not just Nigeria, but the yorubas to be specific. As if kidnapping doesn't take place in igboland
and elsewhere.

It's one thing to denounce a crime and another thing to denounce a whole tribe. The thread starter
(ibmie or whatever he calls himself) should have concentrated on the crime committed
as opposed to the tribe. But that's bigotry for you.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by RibaduFan(m): 7:41pm On Sep 16, 2008
Igbos are wonderful people, infact I pray I get to marry an Igbo lady. But if there is one bad thing the Igbos are guilty of, it is bigotry, ethnocentricism and me-against the world attitude. Pardon me if it sounds like am castigating or pointing fingers, but I sincerely think these my great neighbours need to desist from these acts if they are going to ever live up to their great potentials.

People need to be able to trust you and relate with you before they can trust leadership into your hands.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 7:59pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by RibaduFan(m): 8:03pm On Sep 16, 2008
tpia

se bi omo yoruba ni e, read between the line now. Ta ba ma mobo, ama se bi obo ni.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 8:31pm On Sep 16, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by ssRhino: 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2008
yemmyse:

tpia

se bi omo yoruba ni e, read between the line now. Ta ba ma mobo, ama se bi obo ni.

Interprete pls
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by RibaduFan(m): 8:37pm On Sep 16, 2008
@rhino

Hell no
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Afam(m): 9:25pm On Sep 16, 2008
yemmyse:

People need to be able to trust you and relate with you before they can trust leadership into your hands.

So, leadership in Nigeria is now about trust? The type of trust the Yorubas displayed to get OBJ into power abi?

Don't start what you know very little about and more importantly don't use this thread to display your bias towards the Igbos.

Be courageous and bold, insult the Igbos if you must don't just be hypocritical.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Sisikill: 9:54pm On Sep 16, 2008
$$Rhino:

Interprete please

It means don't let anger, strife or misunderstanding stop you from giving credit & commendation where it is due. A sentiment I support wholeheartedly. smiley
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by EDIPO(m): 10:37pm On Sep 16, 2008
the govt finally made this trade so lucrative that every one wants to be part of it.

i hope it is addressed before the toll hits an all time high!

cheers grin
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by DeepZone: 11:14pm On Sep 16, 2008
That was the reason I set up the thread. . . . the fact is that Nigerian Government cannot control law and order in Nigeria. . . . we are sitting on a tinderbox of unemployment. . . . a lot of ex-PDP thugs are running around with nothing to do but terrorise the population. . . . the fact is that militancy is rife in Nigeria be it Area boys, pdp thugs, kidnappers, armed robbers, yahoozees or whatever. . . . but when it comes to kidnapping in the Niger Delta, it is reported on every website and the bad publicity takes away legitimacy from the true Niger Delta struggle. . . .anyway, I set the booby trap to see how people react to this news. . . . and this just confirms that Nigerians are a bunch of no-good tribalists who are quick to shift blame from one tribe to the next instead of concentrating on the main cause of the problem - bad government!
Really? Why not set your example with other tribes apart from the yoruba? undecided undecided undecided

@Bold, you remember when we discussed Nigeria and illiteracy, you went to the pits of hell to get archival documents that shows that ibos are more educated than Yorubas instead of FOCUSING on the problem at hand.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Ibime(m): 7:46am On Sep 17, 2008
DeepZone:

Really? Why not set your example with other tribes apart from the yoruba? undecided undecided undecided

@Bold, you remember when we discussed Nigeria and illiteracy, you went to the pits of hell to get archival documents that shows that ibos are more educated than Yorubas instead of FOCUSING on the problem at hand.

Calm down dear. . . I could have easily used any other tribe to illustrate my point. . . infact, Texcee did just that by highlighting the problem of kidnapping in Imo State. . . . . . you and this your Yoruba pride sef. . . . the only reason I showed you the JAMB results was to check your tribal ego. . . .and trust, it was an effortless task to carry out that analysis. .  . the fact is that there is nothing in anyone's tribal DNA that determines whether he will become a kidnapper, armed robber or professor. . . . as long as Nigeria is a failed state with high unemployment and a steady supply of arms from politicians, we will see an increase in these activites. . . . to the point that you will be ashamed to be associated with such people, as I am with Ijaw kidnappers. . . .if you keep thinking that kidnapping is the preserve of a certain tribe, you will be shocked when some of your own enter the profession. . . . .and that will give other tribes the right to call you 'career kidnappers'. . . . just like you do to them.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Queenisha: 11:05pm On Sep 17, 2008
yemmyse:

Igbos are wonderful people, infact I pray I get to marry an Igbo lady. But if there is one bad thing the Igbos are guilty of, it is bigotry, ethnocentricism and me-against the world attitude. Pardon me if it sounds like am castigating or pointing fingers, but I sincerely think these my great neighbours need to desist from these acts if they are going to ever live up to their great potentials.

And what has owo kidnappers got to do with being good neighbours and good leaders. ?
You folks are the first ones to point fingers at other tribes yet you're as tribalistic as can be
Any Igbo man that has lived amongst Yorubas will tell you that an Igbo man would be better treated by a Hausa man than an average Yoruba man who would describe him as a man that eats a stone without drinking water.
It's only a tribalistic folk that'll call anyone other than himself "omo ibo" with such disdain without bothering to learn  that there are 249 other ethnicities other than Igbos.
abeg let's hear something else.
Is it all of you that are that ignorant, certainly not

so what gives you the right to label all Igbos with a homogenous label?
[b]You have your bad eggs,we have ours
and for every ill you accuse the Igbo man of, there's a Yoruba man doing the exact same thing[/b]Don't come here recycling the same things passed down from your folk tales.
It's getting rather old and stale.

The way 99% of you folks have said everything but admit that Yorubas can be kidnappers is quite laughable?
I hope that works.
deny it or excuse the kidnappers,worse still blame it on the kidnapped.
na wa for una
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Queenisha: 11:11pm On Sep 17, 2008
tpia:

don't know how your post is related to my own, since all these things you mention are elements of AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION which as we all know is one major thing common to African countries all over Africa.

No one is denying some kidnappings took place. The Oba has personally intervened, which is more than can be said for many other parts of Nigeria when similar things happen.

Ibime is using the opportunity to bash Nigeria as you're all fond of doing, so I'm pointing out crime isnt a uniquely Nigerian phenomenon. Maybe 419 and kidnapping young children is though, but Yorubas arent known for kidnappings of this nature.Unless during intense political strife. And even then, they don't target other tribes living among them in this manner- they can badmouth , but it rarely gets physical.

In the absence of political turmoil, what's the motive for these kidnappings? Profit- and for now this makes the whole thing look very suspicious.

MEND has been trying to get active in Ondo state for a while now. So I'm not surprised.

Let's clap for the Oba for his intervention
kwa kwa kwa kwa kwa kwa!
You keep talking about Yorubas not known for kidnapping
and their style of kidnapping when they do
Please tell us the people that are known for kidnappings?

are we talking about Yorubas or a criminal act by criminals?
get your head off the tribalistic gourd ma friend
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by DeepZone: 12:26am On Sep 18, 2008
And what has owo kidnappers got to do with being good neighbours and good leaders. ?
You folks are the first ones to point fingers at other tribes yet you're as tribalistic as can be
Any Igbo man that has lived amongst Yorubas will tell you that an Igbo man would be better treated by a Hausa man than an average Yoruba man who would describe him as a man that eats a stone without drinking water.
It's only a tribalistic folk that'll call anyone other than himself "omo ibo" with such disdain without bothering to learn that there are 249 other ethnicities other than Igbos.
abeg let's hear something else.
Is it all of you that are that ignorant, certainly not

so what gives you the right to label all Igbos with a homogenous label?
You have your bad eggs,we have ours
and for every ill you accuse the Igbo man of, there's a Yoruba man doing the exact same thingDon't come here recycling the same things passed down from your folk tales.
It's getting rather old and stale.

The way 99% of you folks have said everything but admit that Yorubas can be kidnappers is quite laughable?
I hope that works.
deny it or excuse the kidnappers,worse still blame it on the kidnapped.
na wa for una

It hasn't gotten to this. My anger with the thread was the title as if every crime committed in yorubaland was committed by Yorubas.

Ibos have a right to defend themselves, hausas, Yorubas , Ijaws etc also have the same rights. If you know me very well, i am not a believer in covering an evil done by my people just for the sake of tribalsm because it solves nothing and it's even better if you are criticised constructively so that you can improve.

forget those that tell you that yorubas are not known for kidnappings because it happens during festivals in yorubaland, ibos also kidnap even though i'm not drawing my conclusion from what Texcee posted because if the kidnappings in imo and abia were done by the ibos, that means the one in Owo must be done by the yorubas. I do not share that kind of thinking at all. The killings at Okija shrine were products of kidnappings so do the killings in hausa shrines, yoruba shrines etc. As a matter of fact, the Oro festival in Ondo state is a season for incessant kidnappings although it's not a ransom style kidnapping, theirs is a kidnap and beahead which is even worse. The Oba of Benin has been reported to be responsible for so many kidnappings in Edo state and so on. You can see that am not denying any of that but why should Ibime open a thread pointing fingers at us just because it happened in Owo?
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by DeepZone: 12:39am On Sep 18, 2008
Calm down dear. . . I could have easily used any other tribe to illustrate my point. . . infact, Texcee did just that by highlighting the problem of kidnapping in Imo State. . . . . . you and this your Yoruba pride sef. . . . the only reason I showed you the JAMB results was to check your tribal ego. . . .and trust, it was an effortless task to carry out that analysis. . . the fact is that there is nothing in anyone's tribal DNA that determines whether he will become a kidnapper, armed robber or professor. . . . as long as Nigeria is a failed state with high unemployment and a steady supply of arms from politicians, we will see an increase in these activites. . . . to the point that you will be ashamed to be associated with such people, as I am with Ijaw kidnappers. . . .if you keep thinking that kidnapping is the preserve of a certain tribe, you will be shocked when some of your own enter the profession. . . . .and that will give other tribes the right to call you 'career kidnappers'. . . . just like you do to them.

Mr please! You have a knack for pointing fingers at the yorubas at any slightest opportunity. Did you view that crime from every perspective before posting that thread? i am not denying the fact that there is a good chance that Yorubas committed the crime but what if there were ibo accomplices that actually told the yoruba hoodlums who and who to arrest for a sumptuous ransom? Did you check the victim factor? all the victims of these heinous crime are ibos, so it is possible that their brothers have a hand in it although it's not a fact but it's worth pondering. it's only the MEND that kidnap and accept they did the kidnapping, every other act of kidnapping whether it's in Aba state or Kano state or Kwara state could be committed by anyone including foreigners.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Ibime(m): 7:34am On Sep 18, 2008
DeepZone:

You have a knack for pointing fingers at the yorubas at any slightest opportunity.

This is news to me. Hausa never complain, na you dey complain. . . . stop being defensive, OK?

DeepZone:

Did you view that crime from every perspective before posting that thread? i am not denying the fact that there is a good chance that Yorubas committed the crime but what if there were ibo accomplices that actually told the yoruba hoodlums who and who to arrest for a sumptuous ransom? Did you check the victim factor? all the victims of these heinous crime are ibos, so it is possible that their brothers have a hand in it although it's not a fact but it's worth pondering. it's only the MEND that kidnap and accept they did the kidnapping, every other act of kidnapping whether it's in Aba state or Kano state or Kwara state could be committed by anyone including foreigners.

It doesn't matter who you think committed the crime, whether Yoruba or Igbo. . . . it only highlights my point that kidnapping is becoming a nationwide phenomenom.

And do not use MEND's name in vain. There is a difference between political hostage taking and kidnapping for profit.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by QuotaSyste(m): 11:49am On Sep 18, 2008
tpia:

talk like this is what fuels bigots like Quotasystem, Oziomatv and their minions.

Pray, what's the big deal about marrying or dating someone outside your tribe? That you must pray and fast as if its unheard of?

Marrying an Igbo lady isnt anything unusual- Yorubas have been marrying Igbos and other Nigerian tribes since time immemorial.

Many of my friends when I was growing up in Nigeria, were from mixed backgrounds like me. Others were  "assimilated" Yorubas who spoke even better Yoruba than myself. Many of these people also grew up and dated Yorubas,  I don't see why people make intertribal relationships sound like such a big deal.

Oyibo sef- naijas don dey marry them since antiquity.
@ the bolded. Lies, lies and lies. Only rich yorubas can get their hands on any Igbo girl for marriage. On the other hand, a poor and average Igbo man can easily marry any class of yoruba woman. Marrying an Igbo man is a dream wish for every yoruba woman. The she/male, DeepZone can confirm this. On your own tpia, you are bloody mixed through hausa and fulani diluted blood. Your type, that is the hausas can never get any Igbo girl to marry. It's an abomination in Igboland. Tufiakwa.

On the kidnapping of Igbo traders. The yorubas already saw Igbos as the richest people in their land and so every system must be devised to obtain from them. The same thing always happen at various trading posts in Lagos. Balogun and Alaba readily comes to mind. Are there no other tribes plying their trades in yorubaland? Why are they not been attacked or kidnapped?
I guess there is no money from those hausas that knows only how to sell suya in the streets. Nonsense!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

“if APC Survive One Year, Call Me A Bastard” – Doyin Okupe / The 9 Igbo Players Were Chosen Based On Merit Not Tribalism! / Which One Is Ur Favourite Robert Mugabe Quote?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.