Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,308 members, 7,887,900 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:09 PM

Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party (6053 Views)

More Igbo Youths Join MASSOB & IPOB Because Of Boko Haram Prisoners. / Boko Haram: Igbo, Yoruba Youths Join Hands Against Insurgency / Ekwusigo Youths Join Us Here On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by ow11(m): 7:15pm On Sep 18, 2008
MEND has opened the eyes of all the Yoruba 419ers and Igbo cocaine pushers to a new type of crime KIDNAPPING!!!

The Yoruba apologists on this thread are content to pretend a Yoruba person is incapable of kidnapping yet are secretly wishing they thought of it first so they can celebrate in its glory like that Arrow Olu Maintain does 419 angry

Until Yar'adua realises that Nigeria in 2008 is not tha same country his brother ran in the 70s the better for him. he cannot allow as many as 60M Nigerianscitation needed to wallow in unemployment while guns are machetes are in endless supply in the country.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by DeepZone: 7:24pm On Sep 18, 2008
Yoruba community in Anambra State condemns kidnap of 21 Igbo traders
By Okey Maduforo, Correspondent, Awka

Yoruba community in Anambra State, under the umbrella of Egbe Omo Oduduwa has condemned the alleged kidnap of 21 Igbo traders in Owo, Ondo State, warning that it is a threat on the unity and peaceful coexistence of Nigeria as a nation.

The traders were allegedly kidnapped last Friday by three militant groups known as Palace Boys, Eyin Ogbe Boys and Iloro Youths, who demanded millions of naira as ransom before they would be released.

The militants had last year kidnapped 16 Igbo traders before the latest incident which led to a petition to the state Commissioner of Police Mr. Charles Dawodu, by Ndigbo in the community.

Speaking with Daily Independent in Awka, Anambra State, the chairman of **Egbe Omo Oduduwa** in the area Baba Tunde Adegbenjo, said the incident sends danger signals, adding that there is no state in the country that do not have militants.

"We want to condemn the action and attitude of these militants. We have militants all over the federation and they should consider the fact that if they continue with this other people will revenge and when they do, it becomes crisis everywhere.

"So we are not happy with the attitude of our people back home who gather themselves together and call themselves militants.

"The relation of any of those victims would look for people around to kidnap and those of us outside the Yoruba land or non-indigenes generally would become victims. If this type of thing continues we will have no option but to point to the residence of part of Yoruba land where these activities are taking place.

"The place where it happened is Owo community, so instead of allowing them to go and revenge on Ogwoko man or Akure or Ondo town, we will now point to the residence of the Owo people among us; so that they will go and pick them. This is because things like this spread like wild fire and we will not allow that to happen."

Adegbenjo further noted that security is very important in business interaction and such a thing can affect business between visitors and owners of the land.

"If an Igboman do not feel safe to do business in Yoruba land they will not go there and those of us in Igbo land will not be comfortable and these are the type of incident we experienced some time ago, when the Hausa people had problems with the Igbos and many lives were lost.

"We do not want this type of thing and this is how it starts. So we have to tell our people to stop all these nonsense they are doing. It will not discourage economic development and sound interpersonal relationship in the country."

He urged the Ondo State government to take action quickly to protect the interest of the Igbo in the area as Yoruba and other ethnic groups are being protected in the South East zone; adding that the people at the zone and their respective governments have been friendly and displayed the spirit of brotherhood among visitors and settlers in Igbo land.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/sep/18/704.html
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by DeepZone: 7:34pm On Sep 18, 2008
@ the bolded. Lies, lies and lies. Only rich yorubas can get their hands on any Igbo girl for marriage. On the other hand, a poor and average Igbo man can easily marry any class of yoruba woman. Marrying an Igbo man is a dream wish for every yoruba woman. The she/male, DeepZone can confirm this. On your own tpia, you are bloody mixed through hausa and fulani diluted blood. Your type, that is the hausas can never get any Igbo girl to marry. It's an abomination in Igboland. Tufia

Shut up you arrogant goat. Who wants your behind so bad? I wouldn't cast every ibo person here because of your foolish comment but if marrying an ibo man entails marrying quotastructure, i'd rather stay single.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 7:45pm On Sep 18, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by AloyEmeka9: 12:14am On Sep 19, 2008
Must you guys turn everything here to a tribal issue?. It's people that were kidnapped and only God knows the trauma they went through and are still going in the hands of these miscreants. The Yoruba community here did apologize for it and every d.i.c.k. and harry knows that it's not a collective crime. The crime was committed by a group of hooligans that are looking for a quick way to big money and my fear is that if we leave this situation unattended, they'll evolve like alayes and may soon start kidnapping their fellow yoruba people. If I support my kiths and kins that are armed robbers because they don't rob me, very soon they'll run out of victims and turn against moi, even wild dangerous animals do that to their owners that tried to tame them. I expect some level of decency here and see no reason why some people here should support a heinous crime like this in the name of tribalism. There is no place in Nigeria where up to 21 people have been kidnapped at once, even MEND is yet to achieve that.

It's igbos that should be complaining because yorubas plying their trade in igboland do not have to go through any form of ethnic harassment, alaye wahala, burglary and lately, kidnapping because igbos are capitalists and love a natural democratic environment. Our law is, you can be a king but practice that your kingship in your home and don't place your kingdom in my way a.k.a Live and let live. Our cultural leadership has a strict democratic setting even before America knew what is democracy, but igbos that stay in the west go throughone form of BS to another daily in the hands of *some locals that refuse look for a source of livelihood *although, the good thing about the west is they don't ever tamper with your life like the northerners and i bet you, if the families of the kidnap victims refused to pay the ransoms, those dudes would've gone scot free even though they are scared of risking that.

For those of you trying so hard to deny this mayhem, what if their is a reprisal on westerners living in Enugu, Asaba, umuahia, Ph etc and your relation/s got affected, will you like that? Let us think twice before we support injustice and I will be the last person that will support this kind of thing if it was meted on yorubas or hausas living in igboland even if it means my people excommunicating me.

My heartfelt sympathy to those affected while i doff my hat for all the yoruba royal fathers that came out fast to stop this accident that was about to happen because i bet you, you would have heard that about 1000 yorubas in Asaba and Onitsha were kidnapped by next week. Thank God for an intelligent chief like the Owo king.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by blackspade(m): 3:00am On Sep 19, 2008
Damn, this is very bad news. I hope Naija doesn't end up turning into well-known kidnap countries like Mexico or Columbia. lipsrsealed
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Queenisha1: 3:08am On Sep 19, 2008
DeepZone:

Yoruba community in Anambra State condemns kidnap of 21 Igbo traders
By Okey Maduforo, Correspondent, Awka

Yoruba community in Anambra State, under the umbrella of Egbe Omo Oduduwa has condemned the alleged kidnap of 21 Igbo traders in Owo, Ondo State, warning that it is a threat on the unity and peaceful coexistence of Nigeria as a nation.

The traders were allegedly kidnapped last Friday by three militant groups known as Palace Boys, Eyin Ogbe Boys and Iloro Youths, who demanded millions of naira as ransom before they would be released.

The militants had last year kidnapped 16 Igbo traders before the latest incident which led to a petition to the state Commissioner of Police Mr. Charles Dawodu, by Ndigbo in the community.

Speaking with Daily Independent in Awka, Anambra State, the chairman of **Egbe Omo Oduduwa** in the area Baba Tunde Adegbenjo, said the incident sends danger signals, adding that there is no state in the country that do not have militants.

"We want to condemn the action and attitude of these militants. We have militants all over the federation and they should consider the fact that if they continue with this other people will revenge and when they do, it becomes crisis everywhere.

"So we are not happy with the attitude of our people back home who gather themselves together and call themselves militants.

"The relation of any of those victims would look for people around to kidnap and those of us outside the Yoruba land or non-indigenes generally would become victims. If this type of thing continues we will have no option but to point to the residence of part of Yoruba land where these activities are taking place.

"The place where it happened is Owo community, so instead of allowing them to go and revenge on Ogwoko man or Akure or Ondo town, we will now point to the residence of the Owo people among us; so that they will go and pick them. This is because things like this spread like wild fire and we will not allow that to happen."

Adegbenjo further noted that security is very important in business interaction and such a thing can affect business between visitors and owners of the land.

"If an Igboman do not feel safe to do business in Yoruba land they will not go there and those of us in Igbo land will not be comfortable and these are the type of incident we experienced some time ago, when the Hausa people had problems with the Igbos and many lives were lost.

"We do not want this type of thing and this is how it starts. So we have to tell our people to stop all these nonsense they are doing. It will not discourage economic development and sound interpersonal relationship in the country."

He urged the Ondo State government to take action quickly to protect the interest of the Igbo in the area as Yoruba and other ethnic groups are being protected in the South East zone; adding that the people at the zone and their respective governments have been friendly and displayed the spirit of brotherhood among visitors and settlers in Igbo land. http://odili.net/news/source/2008/sep/18/704.html

This is good news.
Obviously shows that not all Yorubas are quick to blame everyone else around and point fingers.
I remember a Yoruba woman that fried and sold akara down our street in Uwani, we never ate her akara without paying talk less of kidnapping her. grin

Her akara was sweet o
chei.
God bless mama Kunle
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 3:30am On Sep 19, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by AloyEmeka9: 4:27am On Sep 19, 2008
The issue here is that this kind of kidnapping targetting members of a specific tribe for ransom purposes, is very unusual in the area. If you were familiar with Yorubas, you yourself would question the kidnappings the same way people are doing here. Assuming the issue had a political undertone, then people would find the whole thing more believable.

Until the kidnappers are brought to book and their original family names revealed, there'll still remain a big question mark about this issue.

The matter isnt a tribal one like you want to think. People from the east have also had experiences with men of the underworld outside Igboland. One of them got the shock of his life when he heard them speaking Igbo to each other.

Now, there are people from every single tribe employed by the underworld, but the way this supposedly Yoruba group targetted only Igbo traders, is very suspicious. Yoruba tribalism isnt normally in that manner.

However, for now lets assume its a tribal thing. The kidnappers are Yoruba since it happened in Owo.

Kidnapping reserves it's original meaning no matter how you try to classify it or are you Bill Clinton that classifies sex? What do you mean by this kind of kidnapping? Kidnapping is a heinous crime whether it's for rituals or for ransom. I don't care what you think but this crime was committed by Yorubas in that area. If you are a Nigerian resident, you should know that Owo is so local that any crime of that sort should have a local gang behind it. Just tell me why an igbo kidnapper should travel from onitsha where he can kidnap only one person and make N5m to Owo where he's not sure of the victims family paying up. I don't think you will be here seriously asking for *classification of kidnapping if your relation or you were a victim of that crime. I think you can afford a little compassion and no human life is worth your Wazobia politics. Since you haven't heard of such an incident in yorubaland before, read an excerpt from the papers. Coincidentally I have a friend whose relation was a victim last year.

From the article above I quote:

Two teenage igbo girls were among the 16 igbos kidnapped last year. One 14 year old girl whom they made her father to vomit N500k for her release and another 10 year old girl whose biological parents were Yorubas but was later adopted by an igbo couple living there and they paid close to N400K for her freedom yet, nothing was done about it. How foolish can people be sometimes, in the heat of their ethnic bigotry and hatred, they unknowingly kidnapped one of their own just because she has igbo parents. From 16 people to 21 and who knows it may rise to 40 next year because the victims are paying them good money. The trauma they are causing the minors among their hostages is another story for another day.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Queenisha1: 4:44am On Sep 19, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Kidnapping reserves it's original meaning no matter how you try to classify it or are you Bill Clinton that classifies sex? What do you mean by this kind of kidnapping? Kidnapping is a heinous crime whether it's for rituals or for ransom. I don't care what you think but this crime was committed by Yorubas in that area. If you are a Nigerian resident, you should know that Owo is so local that any crime of that sort should have a local gang behind i[/b]t. Just tell me why an igbo kidnapper should travel from onitsha where he can kidnap only one person and make N5m to Owo where he's not sure of the victims family paying up. I don't think you will be here seriously asking for *classification of kidnapping if your relation or you were a victim of that crime. I think you can afford a little compassion and no human life is worth your Wazobia politics. Since you haven't heard of such an incident in yorubaland before, read an excerpt from the papers. Coincidentally I have a friend whose relation was a victim last year.

[b]From the article above I quote:

Two teenage igbo girls were among the 16 igbos kidnapped last year. One 14 year old girl whom they made her father to vomit N500k for her release and another 10 year old girl whose biological parents were Yorubas but was later adopted by an igbo couple living there and they paid close to N400K for her freedom yet, nothing was done about it. How foolish can people be sometimes, in the heat of their ethnic bigotry and hatred, they unknowingly kidnapped one of their own just because she has igbo parents. From 16 people to 21 and who knows it may rise to 40 next year because the victims are paying them good money. The trauma they are causing the minors among their hostages is another story for another day.

I decided not to respond anymore since I've been educated about the different types of kidnapping and the type Yorubas do and don't do.
It won't be long when the hooligans will run out of Igbo merchants to kidnap and turn on fellow indigenes,
We all remember when the MEND militants were only Kidnapping white men and expatriates.
We went on our normal businesses thanking God that we were not expatriates ,then what happened?
They ran out of white men and are now kidnapping regular folks such that it has now spread to other states

let's watch and see.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 4:46am On Sep 19, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by AloyEmeka9: 5:14am On Sep 19, 2008
@ aloy-emeka:

in what way is Owo local?
Owo is now a big city? Even Akure is a pseudo city how much less Owo.

I already said lets assume the kidnappers are Yoruba until proven otherwise.
There is no assumption here because it just don't make any sense that Igbo kidnappers will invade owo only to kidnap only Igbos or is it only igbos that are rich in Owo? The crime is not only heinous but very tribalistic. The Niger Delta militants has no tribalism attached to theirs but the one happening in Ondo is a tribal issue. Why wont they try it for a third time since they've discovered that tribalism can bring remunerations?.

ma guy, this is the 2nd time in just one year. What do you think may happen to innocent rich owo indigenes if igbos emigrate en masse from Owo?

shows you havent lived, travelled or interacted very widely in Nigeria. No one is going to travel that distance to kidnap someone else. Its the people who are resident (possibly born or raised) somewhere that will execute this kind of thing.
Everywhere you go in this world, there is a local gang that operates there. I was born and raised in Owerri, went to FUTO and Washington state university. Besides Owerri and USA, I have also lived in Abuja, Moscow, seoul and presently in lagos and Onitsha combined. So, dont tell me about travelling because business has taken me to virtually everywhere in the world including damascus. I've also been to Ibadan, Illorin, Accra, Durban,Akure, and most parts of Northern africa. Because i've not lived or been to Owo doesn't mean that I cannot tell what is happening. This crime was committed by a local gang. The tribal aspect of it is what led me to point fingers at the yorubas because TWICE, they only kidnapped the rich igbos.

One more question before i go for morning prayers, Did you and deepzone argue about similar incidence in the Niger Delta and tell us that it could be committed by yorubas or hausas? I can't imagine what you guys will be saying now if MEND targets only yorubas for their kidnappings. Your sins will definitely find you out. I rest my case.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by AloyEmeka9: 5:19am On Sep 19, 2008
I decided not to respond anymore since I've been educated about the different types of kidnapping and the type Yorubas do and don't do.
It won't be long when the hooligans will run out of Igbo merchants to kidnap and turn on fellow indigenes,
We all remember when the MEND militants were only Kidnapping white men and expatriates.
We went on our normal businesses thanking God that we were not expatriates ,then what happened?
They ran out of white men and are now kidnapping regular folks such that it has now spread to other states.

let's watch and see.
nne i nukwam.

Categories of Kidnapping and likely tribes to suspect

kidnap for ransom
Kidnap for juju sacrifice
kidnap for sex
kidnap for love
kidnap for murder grin grin grin grin grin

Likely scenario at the police station:

Woman: Officer, my son just got kidnapped
Officer: Did they ask for anything?
woman: what do you mean?
Officer: If they asked for money, just cancel any suspect with a yoruba name .

**Very soon we'll also have categories of murder(not degree 1,2 0r 3), categories of sex abuse, categories of armed robbery etc.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 5:53am On Sep 19, 2008
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Ibime(m): 7:49am On Sep 19, 2008
_Queenisha:

They ran out of white men and are now kidnapping regular folks such that it has now spread to other states[/i].

Aloy.Emeka:

I can't imagine what you guys will be saying now if MEND targets only yorubas for their kidnappings.

I have told you guys to stop using MEND's name in vain. Does anyone actually have any evidence that MEND is involved in kidnapping Nigerians before they spew such bunkum?

There are still many oil workers in the Niger Delta if MEND sees the need to take hostages. They do not have to resort to kidnapping Nigerian civilians like other criminals in the Niger Delta, Owo or Imo State.

Has any Nigerian kidnap victim claimed that it was MEND that kidnapped them upon release?

No! All they say is they were kidnapped by militants. There are many other militant groups roaming the Niger Delta beside MEND not to talk of Vikings, Pirates and such. So why do you people feel the need to call MEND's name every time? Is MEND the only name you know?

Please stop criminalising the only group that has made a stand for us. Whether you agree with the military nature of that stand or not, at least they made a stand. Justified or not, that is the way it is - and many Ijaws have a soft spot for MEND so stop using their name in vain.

Should we call OPC and MASSOB kidnappers just because people in Yoruba and Igboland are now resorting to kidnapping? What if we find one kidnapper/robber/fraudster amongst OPC or MASSOB? Does that give us a right to criminalise whatever they are fighting for?

That is why I set up this thread. If you keep stereotyping another people because of the actions of some, do not be surprised when people start stereotyping your people.

MEND is not the cause of Niger Delta instability. Rather, it is the symptom. Until we deal with the cause the symptom will always remain.

In conclusion, unemployment and stability are rife in Nigeria. Do not be surprised to see a kidnapper near you soon. Your tribal traditions and codes of conduct will not save you. Who would have thought that muslim youth in Kano would be some of the worst drug addicts in Nigeria today? 10 years ago, I would never have dreamt that we would have blood politics in Rivers State. And who would have thought that we would see kidnapping taking root in Imo state and Owo today? Society is breaking down. It doesn't matter how much 'morals' you think your tribe has. The child soldiers in Liberia and Sierra Leone, are they not from good families? We all need to be worried about the future of Nigeria instead of petty tribal finger pointing.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Queenisha1: 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2008
bia Ibime
do you ever read things in context?
di you follow the conversation at all?
Do we need an oracle to tell us who and what MEND is and has become?
O chi m
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by AloyEmeka9: 8:52pm On Sep 19, 2008
Thirdly, travelling to different towns doesnt mean you know much about the people/places you say you travelled to. There are people who live in a place for years but still have little or no interaction with the local people there. Simply because they arent comfortable mixing with tribes other than their own.
Not me because I am a business man. There has to be a high level of public relations before you can be successful. I'm 29 and I've lived in almost 6 cities in this world and none of them is less than one year, what else do I need to understand the people especially when am not reclusive?

Its easy to tell when someone has mixed and interacted with people outside his or her comfort zone. Even on the internet, it will show in their views and the way they post. For one, they don't exhibit symptoms of claustrophobia [/b]at the thought of being in the middle of "strangers".
How did you come into this conclusion all of a sudden? Look man, my personality has nothing to do with the topic in session. The fact that you and some of your kins are forming a shell to defend a crime of passion is appalling and it shows the depth of hatred some people can have on others. Even [b]in the western world, this case will not be treated as mere kidnapping because it's a hate crime. This happens all the time in lagos island but the problem is most of the perpetrators are not worth your valuable time. You can defend them as much as you can but just bear in mind that you are increasing your problem. I think this attitude of yours is a possible reason yorubas have the highest number of touts in todays Nigeria. According to my dad, there were very very few alayes back in the 70's but look at their population today. They are more populated than the nation of Libya and they keep multiplying by the day. If your type has a son, you'll be quick to defend every action of his' whether it's rape or kidnapping or stealing until he grows into an arch criminal. I'm sure that if the reasonable yorubas have their way, they'll pull you off this board for disgracing them with senseless sly comments. Are you a Yoruba image maker? What image are you trying to make before most of us that live among them? Denying a crime is not a good approach because every society, tribe, religious group etc has it's own fair share of bad eggs including my own igbos. Get a life and tell your boys to leave my brothers alone.

For one, they don't exhibit symptoms of claustrophobia at the thought of being in the middle of "strangers".

Mr, do you know the meaning of claustrophobia or you just want to showcase your vocabulary? How am I claustrophobic because i don't like to mix with people? or do you mean agoraphobia? . Yea and deepzone has disappeared.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by AloyEmeka9: 9:12pm On Sep 19, 2008
I have told you guys to stop using MEND's name in vain. Does anyone actually have any evidence that MEND is involved in kidnapping Nigerians before they spew such bunkum?

There are still many oil workers in the Niger Delta if MEND sees the need to take hostages. They do not have to resort to kidnapping Nigerian civilians like other criminals in the Niger Delta, Owo or Imo State.

Has any Nigerian kidnap victim claimed that it was MEND that kidnapped them upon release?
I think MEND themselves once *claimed responsibility for some of the kidnappings but the victims were foreigners. Does it make a difference whether the victim is a local or a foreigner? I am a full supporter of MEND because as an indigene of a Niger Delta state, I stand to gain from their struggle including you. It may not be directly but indirectly because my own community was solely developed by ourself when our oil money is changing pockets at Abuja in the hands of FEW Nigerians. Few people that are not up to 2% of Nigeria's population are enjoying this oil wealth. To be frank, I do not support harming individuals or kidnapping them. I'D rather they use disruption to achieve the aim. Go to Bonny, Finema, Oguta and see what this oil *bunkerers are doing too the environment and you'll understand why everybody is angry.

The same mentality we are showing off here, the amount of money the FGN has spent in artillery trying to quench MEND is enough to build the roads in remote areas, rather, they prefer to use force and figure it out. Typical African mentality.

In conclusion, unemployment and stability are rife in Nigeria. Do not be surprised to see a kidnapper near you soon. Your tribal traditions and codes of conduct will not save you. Who would have thought that muslim youth in Kano would be some of the worst drug addicts in Nigeria today? 10 years ago, I would never have dreamt that we would have blood politics in Rivers State. And who would have thought that we would see kidnapping taking root in Imo state and Owo today? Society is breaking down. It doesn't matter how much 'morals' you think your tribe has. The child soldiers in Liberia and Sierra Leone, are they not from good families? We all need to be worried about the future of Nigeria instead of petty tribal finger pointing.
My thoughts exactly. There is so much pain in the Nigerian populace that when I come here and read what some people write, I shudder. The more this kiddnapping business is growing, the more the criminals are discovering that it's better than blocking Ekene Dili chukwu at Ore. How much kwanu? i'm afraid that very soon, this guys will start killing their hostages to send a message that they are not joking. Most of these people just need a job to put food on the table and you won't see them do a thing like this. It's only God that can save us for obodo Nigeria. me don tire sef, I go soon move to Ghana.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Ibime(m): 9:40pm On Sep 19, 2008
_Queenisha:

bia Ibime
do you ever read things in context?
di you follow the conversation at all?
Do we need an oracle to tell us who and what MEND is and has become?
O chi m

Nna mechonu dia!

Onye juro no gi  wink
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by DeepZone: 1:00am On Sep 20, 2008
Yea and deepzone has disappeared.
shocked shocked shocked Shebi them don apologize to you guys? wetin do you want again?

Nna mechonu dia!

Onye juro no gi
The least you can do is to speak english abeg.
Are you happy now after causing trouble here? oniranu tongue tongue tongue.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by otokx(m): 9:37am On Sep 20, 2008
Kidnapping is a Mexican phenomenon.
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 11:37pm On Sep 21, 2008
Ohanaeze rejects incitement of Ndigbo against Yoruba

The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has criticised some persons for inciting Igbo living in some communities in Ondo State against their hosts.

The group, in a statement signed by its Ondo State Chairman, Mr. Leonard Anya, and Secretary, Mr. Innocent Ochuagu, also warned such persons to desist from causing disaffection between Igbos and their hosts. He described the Yoruba as an accommodating people who did not discriminate against their guests, adding that it would be an act of ingratitude for anyone to undermine the harmonious relationship between them and the Igbo.

Anya said in the statement, The Ondo State branch of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo regrets the dubious action of these mischievous members of Igbo community who go about inciting Ndigbo against their host communities thereby tarnishing the image of this apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation in Ondo State.” The Ohanaeze also urged members of the public not to recognise some people parading themselves as Eze Igbo in some local government areas of the state.

Anya stated that the Council of Traditional Rulers in the entire South-East with the support of the five South-East governors had abolished the title of Eze Igbo in the Diaspora. According to him, the title was abolished at a meeting held in Umuahia, the Abia State capital in February 2008, adding that it was a source of concern that some persons were still parading themselves as Eze Igbo.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/sep/20/420.html
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by tpia: 12:39am On Sep 22, 2008
Ebira crisis: I’m ready to die for Ndigbo —Gov. Idris

Barely 24 hours after the Igbo community living in the Central Senatorial District (Ebira speaking people) of Kogi state sent a Save Our Soul (SOS) to the Kogi State governor Ibrahim Idris over threat to their lives by some suspected hoodlums, the governor has said he is ready to die to save the lives of Igbo and other residents in the area.

The governor stated this just as he threatened to depose any traditional ruler found to be involved in the crises and gave a two-week ultimatum to the warring youths to surrender their arms or face the wrath of the law.

Idris said these on Friday during a three-hour close-door meeting with the traditional rulers, local government chairmen, and stakeholders from the area.

The governor, who spoke through his Special Assistant on Public Communication and Strategy, Hon Phrank Shaubu, said intelligence report available to the government indicated that some traditional rulers and politicians were fuelling the crises engulfing the senatorial district.

He also said that any politicians found to have been involved would also be dealt with no matter how highly placed.

He ordered security agencies to locate and crack down all the thugs using both uncompleted and completed buildings as their barracks to commit heinous crime.

According the governor, "I am prepared to lay down my life in the battle to save Ebiraland and the innocent people including the Igbo living there from being molested by these miscreants".

Meanwhile, the state government has set up a seven-man committee headed by the Secretary to State Government (SSG) to produce a White Paper on the recommendations of Gen. Chris Ali on the crises in Ebiraland.

The committee is expected submit its report within one week.

It would be recalled that on Thursday, the Igbo traders in the Central Senatorial District (Ebira speaking areas) of the State sent an SOS to Governor Idris over threat of harassment, intimidation and kidnapping by their host communities.

The traders, who staged a peaceful protest match to the State Government House, Lokoja said they could no longer bear the harassment being meted to them by their hosts.

President–General of Igbo Community in Ebiraland, Chief Joe Anikwe, pleaded with Idris to intervene urgently, saying that some suspected hoodlums had barely a week ago kidnapped one of their members and demanded a ransom payment of N150 million before he would be released.

However, he said the quick intervention of the Okene Divisional Police Officer saved the trader from the kidnappers.

"Your Excellency sir, just yesterday, four armed thugs again invaded our shops along Library road, demanding the sum of N50,000 each from the traders and in the process started firing guns at them but we thank God nobody was killed but one of us sustained serious injuries.

Responding, Idris condemned the attacks on the traders, saying that the Ndigbo are part and parcel of Kogi State and as such nobody has the right to harass or intimidate them.

He promised to take the matter up with the presidency on the need to invite the military to check the activities of hoodlums.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/sep/21/801.html
Re: Kidnapping - A truly Nigerian phenomenom as Yoruba youths join the party by Germannig: 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2012
Wife of Osun Speaker kidnapped
October 10, 2012 by Tunde Odesola 152 Comments
Speaker, Osun State House of Assembly, Honourable Najeem Salaam

Speaker, Osun State House of Assembly, Honourable Najeem Salaam
| credits: osundefender.org

Unknown gunmen in Ejigbo, Osun State, on Tuesday, kidnapped the wife of the Speaker, Osun State House of Assembly, Mr Najeem Salaam.

Muiba, the first wife of the Speaker, was kidnapped in the Bamagay Square area of the town shortly after she had left her shop where she sold bags of rice, semovita and groundnut oil.

Her Honda car was overtaken by the vehicle of a six-member gang. The gang reportedly forced her Honda car to stop along Union Baptist Road in the Oke-Oyo area of Ejigbo, the Speaker’s hometown.

Our correspondent learnt that Muiba, who alighted and attempted to run from the kidnappers, was stopped and forced into a waiting car.

Chairman, House Committee on Regional Integration and Special Duties, Mr Femi Fafiyebi, confirmed the development, saying the news was “shocking.”

“I just heard about it a few minutes ago. Osun is a very peaceful state. We are the only state that checked flooding and created the most enabling environment in the south-west. I don’t know why this should happen in our dear state,” Fafiyebi said.

Police Public Relations Officer, Osun Command, Mrs Sade Odoro, who promised to get across to our correspondent over the development failed to do so.

Her phone was switched off when our correspondent called her back for confirmation.

Our correspondent reports that it is in Odoro’s character to ignore inquiries by journalists over crime matters in the state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Patrick Yakowa Of Kaduna, Fmr. NSA Owoye Azazi Die In Helicopter Crash / BREAKING NEWS:PDP Accepts Rochas Back / Breaking News: Igbo Lagos Residents And Traders Mobilize For Agbaje.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.