Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,145 members, 7,949,955 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 01:05 AM

MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta (10641 Views)

Aliyu Congratulates Buhari, Declares Curfew In Niger / IBB's Children, Mohammed & Halima On PDP Campaign Train In Niger / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 26, 2008
QuotaSyste:

Listen and listen to me attentively. I am Igbo and a proud one at that. Now tell us where you are from and stop using "do i know if you are Ijaw" If you are not hausa, then point out clearly where you come from. I have never seen any other group in nigeria that it's people are proud to calls themselves out than Igbos. Why are you people ashamed of hiding under "i am a nigerian" to spew garbage here and other forums? I repeat, if you are not hausa, as i suspect, then be proud and tell us openly which group you belong to and stop being ashamed of your group. "I am a nigerian is not enough" That is silly.

Now, back to your comment above. Niger Deltans and any other region controlling their resources is the best thing that will ever happen to nigeria if we are talking about remaining one. Do you hear that well? Only the lazy ones of which i suspect you are one of them will keep on being parasites to others. Why can't you work with your brain in your area to survive without the Niger Delta oil? Go into production as Igbo have ventured into and make a living for yourselves. Leave Niger Deltans and their oil, let them even drink it and die if that's their wish. Yet is not your freaking business.

Do all successful countries in the whole world have oil? If nigeria can not afford to do that, then let us all agree to separate and go our own various ways in peace before it's too late. Why should all nigeria depend on Niger Delta oil? It can only make you to be more lazy. That is not done even in USA. Texas, Hawaii and other states all control their what ever resources and same can be obtain in nigeria if your hausa people are sincere.

No Igbo in the house or any other place in the world will agree with you that Niger Deltans are not supposed to control their resources and drink it and die if that is their wish. It's not any Igbo man's problem what ever the Niger Deltans prefer to do with their oil. Do you get that? We Igbos already have our ingenuity to survive at all odds. Have we been surviving on any federal government grant or oil since Independence like your people does? Why should we now start to look at oil of the Niger Deltans that doesn't belong to us? Neither does that oil belong to you hausas nor to yorubas, so everyone should hands off Niger Delta oil and go find a means to survive on your own.

If you can't survive without oil, then go jump into the lagoon with you people and quench. Who are asking for war? It's not the Niger Deltans, but your federal government. When you hold someone else's thing and refuse to release it, it is not that person, buy you are asking for war. If you don't want resource control as the Niger Deltans wish, then divide the country and let every go their way and take their various destinies into their hands. Must we be ONE? Is it by force to remain in a country that you don't wish for? haba!!!

Why is it difficult for you to understand simple things. If i tell you i am ibo, hausa or even from somalia will it change anything. It's the internet and i can be who/whatever i want. If you want to brag about being IBO then thats your problem. I guess i should say IGBO KWENU, right!!!
Okay back to your points.
For one, you know better than to compare Nigeria to the U.S
How can you expect a Nation whose entire GDP is dependent on Oil to relinquish such to one state/region, If you have an answer to this, i swear i will buy you "fan yogo",
How do you expect Nigeria to give up its main source of revenue to one region. I think not. Maybe in 50yrs, when other sectors have been developed, this might be a viable option. Until then, you can throw your statement into the lagoon.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by IBEXY(m): 7:19pm On Sep 26, 2008
A-town:
@Ibexy
Trust me you don't know half of what i know regarding black/african history so i'll ignore that statement.
Why e dey pain you so much. Did you skip evolution in high school. Prove it to me that we are not monkeys and i will shut up. From what you have written, i can see that you are obviously a small boy. What makes you think i am a "boy". How do you know i am not a grandfather. The internet is anonymous my dear brethren. Stop making unnecessary assumptions.  Is it possible to have a crime free society? Infact, i don't need to argue with you further, move abeg.

@A-town
Since you addressed me, I will respond to you. What got me angry with you is that you stated categorically that all Africans are monkeys. What of the Europeans? They must be gorillas or Ourang-outangs in your opinion. The Asians nko? Baboons maybe.

Even if I read about evolution in school, does that make it true? Are you blind to the differences between a monkey and a human? In the last 1000 years, how many monkeys have sudddenly shed their skin to become human or change into some higher beings. Each specie continued to begat itself. Even man has not suddenly grown 4 legs. Or is it not time for next phase of evolutionary changes to happen?

Are you angry at being called a boy? Now I know your problem is self esteem. You lack it. No wonder you have demoted yourself to a monkey. The internet might be anonymous but your level of thinking and what you write here says it all. Beware what you say in public places like nairaland.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Ibime(m): 7:29pm On Sep 26, 2008
A-town:

Why is it difficult for you to understand simple things. If i tell you i am ibo, hausa or even from somalia will it change anything. It's the internet and i can be who/whatever i want. If you want to brag about being IBO then thats your problem. I guess i should say IGBO KWENU, right!!!
For one, you know better than to compare Nigeria to the US
How can you expect a Nation whose entire GDP is dependent on Oil to relinquish such to one state/region, If you have an answer to this, i swear i will buy you "fan yogo",
How do you expect Nigeria to give up its main source of revenue to one region. I think not. Maybe in 50yrs, when other sectors have been developed, this might be a viable option. Until then, you can throw your statement into the lagoon.

I am glad the truth is coming out. We all know that Nigeria will refuse to give the Niger Delta their due not because it's unfair but because Nigeria is too incompetent to survive without it. I can accept this argument. Therefore, I don't want to hear any argument about whether fiscal federalism is just or not, rather let us be honest and accept that this is a parasitic relationship which Nigeria cannot do without.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 26, 2008
IBEXY:

@A-town
Since you addressed me, I will respond to you. What got me angry with you is that you stated categorically that all Africans are monkeys. What of the Europeans, they must be gorillas or Ourang-outangs. The Asians, baboons.

Even if I read about evolution in school, does that make it true? Are you blind to the differences between a monkey and a human? In the last 1000 years, how many monkeys have sudddenly shed their skin to become human or change into some higher beings. Each specie continued to begat itself. Even man has not suddenly grown 4 legs. Or is it not time for next phase of evolutionary changes to happen?

Are you angry at being called a boy? Now I know your problem is self esteem. You lack it. No wonder you have demoted yourself to a monkey. The internet might be anonymous but your level of thinking and what you write here says it all. Beware what you say in public places like nairaland.

Please try to "read" properly before you let your anger get the better of you. If you think Asians are baboons then call them baboons. This post has nothing to do with Asians or whoever you mentioned. The post has to do with Nigerians which led to my statement about Africans. I don't need all the lecture about evolution. You either believe it or not. I don't care.

Try to read properly. The reason i asked y u called me a boy was to stress the fact that you can't assume you know who you're talking to on the internet. I could be your Father's friend you know!!!! Then again there's no way for you to know that. I could even be someone you know. "Assumption is the mother of all fuckers"
So far, you've said nothing that has to do with the post. Like i said earlier, abeg move juh
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by QuotaSyste(m): 7:53pm On Sep 26, 2008
A-town:

For one, you know better than to compare Nigeria to the US
Now your response here especially the bolded is the most silly of all your silly responses and i won't respond to you again because i don't have time for brainless humans. It's a typical question by the lazy ones. You want more 50 years as a parasite to others? What if after the 50 years and you are still behind as facts of today will point to? You will again request for more 100 years to remain parasitic to others?
Lazy arsshole. US is not the only country that can be used as an example. There abound many and many other countries.  Your GDP solely depending on oil since almost 50 years of independence is because of your illiterate people's way of governance, (porous heads) yet you want the status quo to remain same. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You should start now to fend for your selves and build your new GDP around other resources, both human and otherwise, other than oil. Oil is not everything, but to the lazy ones like your people, it is.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2008
My prayer for the people of the Niger Delta Region is that God should open their eyes.

The root of their problem is in their own backyard. Unfortunately most of them have failed to see it.

Not until they start tackling it as it should be done, the problem will remain.

To resort to the use of force is actually fueling the problem, and not solving it.

Anyone advising the youths from that region to resort to armed struggle only hates them and is not helping them in any way.

My prayer is that the eyes of the youths from this region is opened, and they resort to a more Godly approach.

Consistent use of force in the fashion that they have done, will not lead them anywhere.

I have lived there for years, and one of my parents are from the Niger Delta.

The use of force and the so called militant approach will do them no good.

Their problem is such that cannot be tackled with the use of force.

We cannot use aspirin to cure cancer. Radiation therapy is the solution.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by QuotaSyste(m): 8:00pm On Sep 26, 2008
Ibime:

I am glad the truth is coming out. We all know that Nigeria will refuse to give the Niger Delta their due not because it's unfair but because Nigeria is too incompetent to survive without it. I can accept this argument. Therefore, I don't want to hear any argument about whether fiscal federalism is just or not, rather let us be honest and accept that this is a parasitic relationship which Nigeria cannot do without.
Which truth are you talking about? Which truth? It is your people that refuse to see when we have already seen this many years ago. The hausas are not people you can deal with, not to talk of trust, but your people won't get it because of your unfounded fear of your neighbors, the Igbos. You are sounding off what we already know just in 2008. Do you see the reason why we view you people in the way we do? Sleeping people. You are only waking up in 2008 to see the truth. You must be ashamed of your self.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by tkb417(m): 8:05pm On Sep 26, 2008
Quotasys
Im sure ure one strong herbalist to have been able to know our tribes from our handle on NL.

Only Yorubas and Hausas support JTF?
what about the Igbos? they support MEND?
hehehehehe, ive never seen or read this kind of reasoning b4 in my life.
Shebi ure Igbo, who do you support?

The doom of Nigeria is the fear of the Igbos? u claimed uve always maintained that!!!!
who have you been speaking to?
dullards!!!!!

Nigeria is not doomed!!! only foul spirited, uncouth tongues like you will make us fall if nothing is done quick.

FYI, no tribe is scared of any tribe
gerrout joh and carry ur misplaced aggression to ur crib
olodo

@mon amie
the solution is for the Govt to spend as much as they are spending in Abuja or even more to the Niger Delta.
Let us have wide roads like the ones that lead to HELL, beautiful buildings, schools, hospitals, skyscrappers etc
Let the whole of ND be as fine as Abuja and im sure the aggrieved elements amongst them will be silent.

by that time, they wont have shady creeks to hide weapons cos the whole place would have become sparkling clean
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 8:09pm On Sep 26, 2008
Sirs,

In my own opinion accusing each tribe is not the solution to the problem.

To me I beleive that if there should be a change, it must commence from within.

There are certain things that need to be done away with in the land of the niger delta, but as long as these things remain and are entrenched in the daily life and culture of the niger delta, the problem will remain. Only when these things within are removed, that true and lasting changes would take place, even without a single bullet fired.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Ibime(m): 8:14pm On Sep 26, 2008
As far as the Niger Delta goes, the bullets brought Nigeria to attention. It is now time to lay those bullets down and see what Yar'Adua has to offer. However, we cannot deny the crucial role played by the bullets - because we had many peaceful protests before and Nigeria did not pay heed. We will always have the military option if we are not properly pacified by the FG.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by tkb417(m): 8:18pm On Sep 26, 2008
As far as the Niger Delta goes, the bullets brought Nigeria to attention. It is now time to lay those bullets down and see what Yar'Adua has to offer. However, we cannot deny the crucial role played by the bullets - because we had many peaceful protests before and Nigeria did not pay heed. We will always have the military option if we are not properly pacified by the FG.

Nice one bruv!!!
best post ive read from u in a while even with ur BLUE BRAINS!!
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 26, 2008
QuotaSyste:

Now your response here especially the bolded is the most silly of all your silly responses and i won't respond to you again because i don't have time for brainless humans. It's a typical question by the lazy ones. You want more 50 years as a parasite to others? What if after the 50 years and you are still behind as facts of today will point to? You will again request for more 100 years to remain parasitic to others?
Lazy arsshole. US is not the only country that can be used as an example. There abound many and many other countries.  Your GDP solely depending on oil since almost 50 years of independence is because of your illiterate people's way of governance, (porous heads) yet you want the status quo to remain same. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You should start now to fend for your selves and build your new GDP around other resources, both human and otherwise, other than oil. Oil is not everything, but to the lazy ones like your people, it is.

For the love of God, someone tell this "human being" to stop using insults to  feel good. It does nothing to me. How long will it take for it to sink in?
There is a difference between offering an opinion and stating the obvious. I have stated the obvious. Nigeria depends on Oil. This is not my opinion, it is what is, can't you get that. Your way of picking on irrelevant points with fury will get you no where. You are more concerned with proving that you are smart than talking about the topic. All your opinions don't address anything.
This will be my last post on this topic unless someone wants to have a constructive/positive argument.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2008
Each tribe has a positive side and also have their faults, but regardless of these things, I know that being together as a Nation is not an error. It pains me to see that various tribes pick on one another in this case. I do believe that if there is any threat, the threat is from outside Nigeria and not inside Nigeria. The Niger Delta man is hurt, the Igbo man is hurt, each and every tribe has something to say about being hurt, but believe it or not each tribe has one thing which they could contribute to make our nation develop. Oil is good, but it is not enough, the asian countries are rapidly developing, and most of that development is coming from the non oil sector. The Arabs who are raking in billions of dollars from oil already have the foresight, that they would need to invest their windfall in other areas of business within their country and overseas, as they know that the windfall wont last for long, as technologies are changing in ways that would reduce the demand for oil, especially in the automobile industry. Lets learn from positive things that have been done both home and abroad and improve ourselves.

Any man in government that thinks he can hold on to power for long, or manipulate things forever is mistaken. Let us stop pointing at each other, and let us look for a common point of reference from where we can all solve the problem. Progress cannot be experienced where there is war. Where there is no peace there cannot be growth of any kind.

Each and everyone of us have something positive which we represent and stand for whether consciously or not, tap into the inner sides of your existence and you will see that you can overcome any form of obstacle in your way.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by tkb417(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2008
For the love of God, someone tell this "human being" to stop using insults to feel good. It does nothing to me. How long will it take for it to sink in?
There is a difference between offering an opinion and stating the obvious. I have stated the obvious. Nigeria depends on Oil. This is not my opinion, it is what is, can't you get that. Your way of picking on irrelevant points with fury will get you no where. You are more concerned with proving that you are smart than talking about the topic. All your opinions don't address anything.
This will be my last post on this topic unless someone wants to have a constructive/positive argument.
next time, ull curse his lineage and he'll stop insulting u
ok?
is this constructive enuff to make u post some more
grin grin grin NL is crazy land hiya hiya ooo
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2008
As far as I am concerned bullets wont solve anything.

Everyone can acquire weapons. Assault rifles and other personnel weapons are becoming cheaper daily and more accessible.

They are not the solution to the problem, look beyond your borders, there are so many examples for us to learn from.

Bullets are out of the question, and I am also a P. H. man, and not a stranger to the Delta region.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by QuotaSyste(m): 8:30pm On Sep 26, 2008
Ibime:

And you really think and believe that you will be properly pacified by the nigerians? Where you not the one who reiterated what some slowpoke said above, that if your people are given your resource control, then it means the end of nigeria, therefor it's a no no by their hausa people?  Scroll above to read where you said, "you are glad the truth is coming out" You want to see what Yar'adua will do for you? as if he is the one responsible and not (northern clique) for any decision good or bad for your people. I said it and i know it. You people never learn and will never learn. Keep sleeping cause you don't sound like someone that's awake.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 8:32pm On Sep 26, 2008
One of the core disadvantages of armed struggles, is that in the cause of its action both the blood of the innocent and that of the guilty is shed, and as long as the blood of the innocent is shed in the process, your land becomes polluted, and acheiving your objective becomes rather difficult and almost impossible. Such approach has worked in some cases, but failed most of the time. It rather makes a journey that should last forty days go on for forty years. We must all learn, and not repeat the mistakes of the past.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 26, 2008
@naijacute

the rollover is d bomb and is d top of d range,how can i miss it.i'v played since 3 days ago,they 'l definately settle me one day,fingers crossed

man u better wish me luck,so 2 nite or someday u shall b wit me paradise.have u played yet?goodluck mate.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by tkb417(m): 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2008
@naijacute

the rollover is d bomb and is d top of d range,how can i miss it.i'v played since 3 days ago,they 'l definately settle me one day,fingers crossed

Manchester United better wish me luck,so 2 night or someday u shall b wit me paradise.have u played yet?goodluck mate.

who u dey call manchester united?
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2008
War is not the option, gra gra is not the option, AK - 47 is not the option.

You will only fight and fight and fight until you are tired.

There are abundant talents everywhere, even in the Delta Region. In rivers state, there are thousands of talented people, lets all channel our efforts to more productive things than fighting.

Take a cue from China, they are concentrating their resources (non-oil) towards production and development, and their impact is felt all over the world. Funnily enough, these people use their development to their own advantage and look for opportunities in other countries where they can even extend their influence through exploitation. I wish we can learn, we have what it takes to build, whether oil or no oil, be it Igbo, Hausa, Yourba, Delta, Benue etc. The more we fight, the more we tell the world that there are opportunities where we can be exploited further, but when we channel our efforts towards positive activity the impact would be felt the world over, and we will also assert our own influence in the world stage. Lets not make this oil be a curse. Focus on other things, many countries have already started this, through the investment in the development of other forms of energy. Nature has even provided abundant alternatives already to the oil bomb, I pray we learn. The most valuable resource in our planet is the human resource and not the crude oil resource.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by tkb417(m): 8:45pm On Sep 26, 2008
War is not the option, gra gra is not the option, AK - 47 is not the option.

You will only fight and fight and fight until you are tired.

There are abundant talents everywhere, even in the Delta Region. In rivers state, there are thousands of talented people, lets all channel our efforts to more productive things than fighting.

Take a cue from China, they are concentrating their resources (non-oil) towards production and development, and their impact is felt all over the world. Funnily enough, these people use their development to their own advantage and look for opportunities in other countries where they can even extend their influence through exploitation. I wish we can learn, we have what it takes to build, whether oil or no oil, be it Igbo, Hausa, Yourba, Delta, Benue etc. The more we fight, the more we tell the world that there are opportunities where we can be exploited further, but when we channel our efforts towards positive activity the impact would be felt the world over, and we will also assert our own influence in the world stage. Lets not make this oil be a curse. Focus on other things, many countries have already started this, through the investment in the development of other forms of energy. Nature has even provided abundant alternatives already to the oil bomb, I pray we learn. The most valuable resource in our planet is the human resource and not the crude oil resource.
chineke!! u be real Apostle of Peace.
i like ur style and spirit.
Long Live Nigeria!!!
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 8:52pm On Sep 26, 2008
Those from the older generations have committed a lot of evil, and have messed things up for the younger generation. This is the case even in the western country. The youths should realize that a more peaceful and constructive approach should be applied to this situation in order to enable them tackle some of the issues that the older generations have created and swept under the carpet for us to come to terms with during our own time.

Our elders tried the gun approach, but history tells us that it lead to nowhere, why should we follow suit? Can you bend the hand of God? Or do you think that the creation of the nation Nigeria was borne out of the error of a few men?  The answer is NOOOO!!!!  The igboman is waxing stronger daily and he is as industrious as ever, he chose peace instead of war, and he is still alive with hopes of a better tomorrow. He has proved that man can survive anywhere and in any circumstance no matter what. People can say an igbo man is this or that, at least I learnt that from them when I see them regardless of their mistakes or faults.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 9:06pm On Sep 26, 2008
brothers peace is the only solution.

There is no place like Home

Do you think you will ever be treated first class in another man's land?

Do you think the American will ever value you as a first class citizen if you run to USA.

Do you think the Chinese, the Arab or other national will look at you as a first class citizen in their country?

NOOOOOO!! You will only be regarded as a burden, and an alien.

It is only in a peaceful environment that genuine and long lasting development can thrive. There is no other approach.

Any man that tells you otherwise hates you. If you land is not peaceful and habitable, do you think the man in south africa would treat you as an equal by the time you run there? The answer is no. In fact he will arrange a mob and ensure that you are lynched, as they believe that you are one of the foreigners taking away their jobs.

The rest of the world is in deep slumber while China is creating more jobs for themselves (since they want to put their energy into good use). Now the whole world works for China. The Chinese produce the goods, and the rest of the world scramble to China to buy cheap goods, then fly back home, go through the process of marketing, selling and gathering money only to return to china to pay the chinese man for "their work". The cycle continues. For every job lost elsewhere in the world, a new job is created in China. The grievous part of this, is that most of the garbage we import from them can be manufactured locally. It is sheer laziness on our part. Imagine a chinaman importing packet shirts to Nigeria in large quantities and selling them at a rate of N700 naira a piece in old Lagos, when we have tailors who can do wonders for us here. When we allow such trends to go unchecked all the jobs that would have been created here are lost to the Chinaman. How then are we protecting ourselves? How then are we experiencing the true development? Or don't you think we are just consumers?

Until we learn to engage in constructive activities and embrace peace, there is no real solution. Until we stop being lazy, and learn to engage in small and medium scale production, soon we will be importing garri from nigeria. Maybe by then we will learn.

I repeat the solution to Delta problem is not war.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 9:09pm On Sep 26, 2008
our nation is richly endowed with authentic human resources.

We are richly endowed with natural resources besides Crude Oil.

We have a vast array or minerals in this country, which the oyinbo's envy.

We have lands which we can work on. Let us not copy American system as it is failing everyday ooo.

Let us follow the right way and work. God will always reward a diligent worker. There is no short cut to riches.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 9:11pm On Sep 26, 2008
East or west. Home is best.

We allow the conflict and destruction to continue?

Do you think it is the foreigner that will come and put our house in order?

The answer is NO?

Let peace reign.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by ohelala: 9:15pm On Sep 26, 2008
Goodbye brothers.

I see in you great entrepreneurs and statesmen.

Lets not cut everything short.

Look at Afghanistan, look at Iraq.

Guys a man in the prison does not pray for wealth. He prays for freedom.

A sick man does not pray for a wife. He will first pray for the restoration of his health.

A nation torn by war, will not look towards development immediately as such would be far away, they will concentrate and pray for peace.

I leave the stage for my great friends to continue. We are Nigerians and not Igbos or Yorubas or Hausas or Niger Deltans, where ever we go we are seen as Nigerians.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by savanaha: 9:30pm On Sep 26, 2008
I think the biggest thing about Nigeria and Africa on a whole is that we so badly want to conform to what the colonial masters thought of us. Yes we are one Nigeria but you are wrong because within Nigeria each tribe place an important part in the intricately designed fabric that separates the country from others.
The British split up people into fraction that will make a profit for them and rather than us making peace with it we want to cloak it. Even America changed their thinking from being a melting pot to a salad bowl. The distinction shows that we don't all have to conform but preexist if possible in one place as individual entities.
The reason I mention preexist if possible is because people act like the fighting going on and people trying to split is from nothing. The part of Nigeria that produces the most oil has nothing to show for it. This is because the governments that have been in charge have been inevitably working on bias, which by the way is human nature. The British and the Irish or Scotts still have tense relations. Heck Russia and Georgia got into it during the Olympics so why is it so hard that people forced to live together still fight when power is manipulated rather than shared. When tribes or "Africans" disagree its cause we hate ourselves when other races do it other excuses are made
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by monamie1: 12:45pm On Sep 27, 2008
From my observation, recent insinuations by the MEND that the Federal Govt. of Nigeria does not heed to the yearnings and aspirations of the Niger Delta region is nothing but CHEAP FALSIFICATION OF FACTS and a BLATANT DECEIT BY A SELFISH FEW TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE GENERAL POPULACE. I dare anyone who thinks same to explain the BASIS for the 13% DERIVATION PAID TO ALL THE STATES WITHIN THE NIGER DELTA REGION.

N.B. I would not be suprised if a vast majority of landers do not have reasonable idea as to the quantum of money the derivations have grossed to date. For those who care to know, check up the ministry of finance or office of the accountant general websites for the monthly revenue allocations to all the 3 tiers of government for all the states in the federation and take proper note of the figures under derivation. This does not even consider allocations of excess crude oil revenue. Lets face it, the REAL PROBLEMS OF THE NIGER DELTA REGIONS ARE ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE PEOPLES' OWN REPRESENTATIVES IN POSITIONS OF AUTHORITY BUT AT THE STATE AND FEDERAL LEVEL. IN FACT, THEY ARE THE MOST CORRUPT LOT IN THE HISTORY OF NIGERIA. Imagine a person in position of trust and highest authority in a commission set up to cushion the hardship suffered as a result of environmental degradation spending over N800 million (about half of the monthly revenue allocation of some states) on juju and u think this same person would not spend N10 Billion if given the opportunity. Only God knows how much he must have illegally accumulated to be able to give out such sums. I guarantee u that even if 100% of the resources are controlled by the respective states of the region which is not even sensible by virtue of the country's historical and political antecedents, more guns would only be bought to kill one another thereby putting the life of the common man at risk.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Ogbeta: 12:50pm On Sep 27, 2008
Edo Guber Election: Appeal Court begins hearing
By THOMPSON ERHOMONSELE/AUGUSTINA OMORUYI

BENIN CITY –– Six months after the Edo State election Petition Tribunal nullified the election of Governor Oserhiemen Osunbor, the Appeal subsequently filed by the state government, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), yesterday commenced at the Federal Court of Appeal sitting in Benin City.

At the maiden sitting of the Appeal which was attended by the state Governor, Prof. Oserheimen Osunbor, counsel to the Governor, Chief Efe Akpofure (SAN) prayed the court to grant him leave to adopt a fresh application dated April 26, 2008 and withdraw an earlier filed application dated May 12, 2008 but filed on May 14, 2008.

Sequel to the application made by Chief Akpofure (SAN), the Court of Appeal Panel led by Justice Saka Ibiyeye, struck out the first application having regard to the existence of a second application which is identical in terms of the prayers.

The court also granted leave to the appellants to file and argue additional grounds of appeal, amend their notice of appeal as well as their brief of argument.

Appellants brief of argument and amended notice of appeal already filed were deemed duly filed and served.

Justice Ibiyeye further granted leave for the substantive appeal (CA/B/EPT/91/08 to be consolidated with the interlocutory appeal CA/B/EPT/179/07.

Counsel to Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and the Action Congress (AC), Chief Adeniyi Akintola (SAN) and Mr. Adekunji Oyeyiupo (SAN) were granted eight days within which to file their consequential amended respondents brief of argument if they so desire.

In another application filed by Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) against Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and another, through its counsel, Kanu Agabi (SAN), the court granted leave to the appellants/applicants to consolidate the Interlocutory appeal (CA/B/EPT/193/08 with the substantive appeal CA/B/EPT/179/07.
Similarly, another application was brought by PDP against Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and Action Congress (AC) but no application was filed in the appeal. It was however noted that all briefs in the appeal were ripe for hearing.

At the close of the day’s proceedings, Justice Ibiyeye Adjourned the appeals but disclosed that dates for hearing would be communicated to counsel and parties in the matter.

Meanwhile the environs of the Court of Appeal witnessed a large turnout of party faithfuls and the consequent human and vehicular traffic.

Despite the announcement by the state Commissioner of Police that only 30 party faithful would be allowed into the court room, the court room witnessed an over flow of people who were eager to be part of the proceedings. Following the tight situation, the court ordered that apart from parties in the matters, every other person should vacate the court hall for lawyers to sit. Journalists who were there for coverage we almost sent out of the court hall.

The Chairman of PDP, Edo State, Edward Sado (Esq), Head of Service, Dr. Simon Imuekemhe, Chief of Staff, Edo State Government, Hon. Isaiah Osifo, Commissioners, Special advisers, Comrade Adams Oshiomole and other faithfuls of both parties were among dignitaries in attendance at the court with a large number of security agents in the vicinity.

Meanwhile, Governor Osunbor has advised Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leaders and members to remain in high spirit, be vigilant and let their morale be high.

He gave the advice while addressing them shortly after returning from the Appeal Court
Prof. Osunbor observed that the party members had not entertained any fear and that they remained unshaken, a disposition he encouraged them to maintain.

On their carnival-like movement from the premises of the Appeal Court at Aduwawa to Government Houses, Benin City, the governor thanked them profoundly for their show of solidarity, loyalty and support to him and the party.

While asserting that PDP was the party ruling Edo State Prof. Osunbor expressed optimism that the party would still remain in power.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Ogbeta: 1:03pm On Sep 27, 2008
Julius Berger resumes work on Eleme Junction fly-over soon
• Friday, Sep 12, 2008
Work on the abandoned fly-over project at Eleme junction, along the Port Harcourt-Aba Expressway will soon commence, as the contracting firm handling the project has given assurance that it would return to site.

This indication emerged yesterday after a closed door meeting between officials of Julius Berger and Rivers State Governor, Rt Hon Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi in Government House, Port Harcourt.

An official, who spoke on condition of anonymity said discussion with the governor was fruitful, and that the company was concluding arrangements to return to site soon.

He said it was not true that Julius Berger was subletting any of its contracts in the state to a sub-contractor as recently reported in the media, and assured that as a responsible company with a high delivery reputation, the company would return to site to conclude her contractual obligation.

Accordingly, motorists using the Eleme junction axis of the Port Harcourt-Aba Express Road, have been enjoined to be patient as work on the project would soon be completed, and the traffic jam currently experienced, a thing of the past.

The acting Press Secretary to the Governor, Blessing Wikina said Governor Amaechi has demonstrated his willingness to complete work on the project, as well as other projects in the state, by promptly releasing money to the contractors, noting that as responsible corporate citizens, the contracting firm does its job diligently.

“We apologise for the current traffic situation around the Eleme Junction fly-over, but we will all be happier in a few months time when the project is completed” he said.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Ogbeta: 1:05pm On Sep 27, 2008
UK exports to Nigeria hit N444bn
• Friday, Sep 12, 2008
The British High Commission said yesterday that exports from the United Kingdom to Nigeria was nearly £2 billion (about N444 billion) between 2006 and 2007.

A statement from the Trade Development Section of the commission, made available to The Tide correspondent yesterday in Abuja, credited this information to Mr Peter Stephenson, the director, U.K. Trade and Investment (UKTI) Department in Nigeria.

“Nigeria is U.K.’s second largest market in Africa, with exports of goods worth £1.013 million (about N224.9 million) in 2007, and exports of services valued at £913 million (about N202.7 billion) in 2006,” the statement said.

It noted that Nigerians first looked to the U.K. for goods and services because of the strong historical, language and constitutional ties between the two countries.

It explained that the UKTI, London, was keen to build on the established relationship between the two countries and to help companies take advantage of the opportunities for trade in Nigeria.

The business areas identified included oil and gas, agriculture, mining and mineral processing, power, and communications.

“Nigeria is the most lucrative telecommunications market in Africa, growing at twice the African average; a wide range of products and services are being promoted”, the statement said.

It said that in order to further build on the strong business ties between both countries, representatives of 18 companies would be participating in the annual trade mission to Lagos.

Organised by the London Chamber of Commerce, the mission is scheduled to hold between September 15 and September 18, it added.
Re: MEND Declares Ceasefire In Niger Delta by Ogbeta: 1:07pm On Sep 27, 2008
Oba tasks RSSDA on rural poverty
• Friday, Sep 12, 2008
The Chairman of Rivers State Council of Traditional Rulers (RSCTR) and the Oba of Ogbaland, Sir Chukumela Nnam Obi II has tasked the Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency (RSSDA) to urgently formulate and implement a comprehensive plan of action to tackle rural poverty and boost local economy of the state.

Sir Nnam Obi gave the charge in Port Harcourt, Wednesday when the management of the agency paid him a courtesy visit in his office.

Admitting that the task of eradicating rural poverty was an onerous one, especially against the backdrop of the alarming increase in the country’s poverty index, the council chairman urged the agency’s management to visit oil producing communities to fully ascertain the frightening degree of poverty, squalor, misery and devastation occasioned by exploratory activities of oil companies operating in the communities.

He insisted that unless this was done, every efforts at tackling rural poverty and entrenching sustainable development would fail.

Sir Nnam Obi listed planlessness, poor policy implementation, corruption and poor execution of jobs as the bane of development in Nigeria, and urged the agency to emulate the Asian tigers, whom he said, worked very hard to obliterate impediments to their country’s development.

The monarch assured the agency of the preparedness of the traditional rulers to partner with it to realise its set goals and objectives.

The Director of the Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency (RSSDA), Mr Bolaji Ogunseye had earlier briefed the traditional rulers council chairman on the activities of the agency, explaining that the agency was a strategic initiative of Rivers State Government aimed at tackling rural poverty and building effective community institution and viable local economies across the rural areas of the state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Queries Cbn’s N100m Donation To Boko Haram Victims / Italian Who Donated Controversial Church To GEJ's Hometown Is Dead / Abdulrasheed Bawa: We Will Take Fight Against Corruption To The Next Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.