Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,443 members, 7,888,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:21 AM

Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University (1373 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Bomb Blast In Nigeria: Facebook Activates Safety Check / Obafemi Awolowo Lying In State After His "Controversial" Death In 1987 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by DeepZone: 2:51am On Sep 25, 2008

Nigeria activates nuclear accelerator at Obafemi Awolowo University

igeria inaugurated a nuclear accelerator last weekend at the Obafemi Awolowo University located in its south west Osun State, the Ministry of Science and Technology said in a statement on Tuesday.

advertisement

The nuclear facility would be used for basic and applied researches in food, agriculture, environmental studies and material science, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted the statement as saying.

Grace Ekpiwhre, minister of science and technology, said the facility, commenced after 25 years of preparations, was to help improve the nation's application of nuclear technology, according to the statement.

Ekpiwhre also said that the activation would support the government's resolve to establish a nuclear power plant.

Nigeria and Iran have signed an agreement on nuclear cooperation in Abuja last month. According to the deal, Iran will provide civil nuclear technology to Nigeria.

The Foreign Ministry of Nigeria has acclaimed that the nuclear technology acquired would not be used for military purpose.

Nigeria, the largest oil producing country in Africa, has suffered electricity supply strains over recent years due to poor infrastructure construction and aging facilities.

© 2008 Xinhua

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/sep/24/1000.html
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by DeepZone: 3:12am On Sep 25, 2008
this is false information by nigeriaworld. nigeriaworld is used to posting false information. stop believe that their lies.
Why is it false? Do you have satellite pictures to prove your point?
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by DeepZone: 3:38am On Sep 25, 2008
most nigeriaworld links nowadays , na that man they create the story. and i told you that nigeria have been running propaganda. 86 women and now this. it is just a propaganda , if the USA want to attacked them. They are scared of the USA.

but no friend nation should sit down and watch , why they destroy nigeria. nigerian lifes are not getting better.

We are not talking about attack here. They just started a nuclear reactor.
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by bawomolo(m): 3:45am On Sep 25, 2008
the guy is a semi-illiterate. just ignore him
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Jakumo(m): 7:05am On Sep 25, 2008
This report has been thoroughly investigated by a panel of experts, and found to be entirely true in every respect.

The nuclear accelerator consists of rotating shifts of area boys who are harnessed with stout ropes at equidistant points around the circumference of a giant wooden turn-table, and then encouraged with bull-whips to run frantically in circles until the desired optimum centrifugal and centripetal forces of the turn-table attain congruence with the tangential component of the earth's geo-synchronous rotation, at which point nuclear fission ensues, provided the propulsive force on the accelerator is not interrupted by the fatigue or death of the running volunteers.

May I take this opportunity to caution skeptics of this technology to check their facts before reflexively expressing doubts about Nigeria's latest new technological advance.
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by DeepZone: 8:10am On Sep 25, 2008
This report has been thoroughly investigated by a panel of experts, and found to be entirely true in every respect.

The nuclear accelerator consists of rotating shifts of area boys who are harnessed with stout ropes at equidistant points around the circumference of a giant wooden turn-table, and then encouraged with bull-whips to run frantically in circles until the desired optimum centrifugal and centripetal forces of the turn-table attain congruence with the tangential component of the earth's geo-synchronous rotation, at which point nuclear fission ensues, provided the propulsive force on the accelerator is not interrupted by the fatigue or death of the running volunteers.

May I take this opportunity to caution skeptics of this technology to check their facts before reflexively expressing doubts about Nigeria's latest new technological advance.
roflmao grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by kay9(m): 6:20pm On Sep 26, 2008
Jakumo:

The nuclear accelerator consists of rotating shifts of area boys who are harnessed with stout ropes at equidistant points around the circumference of a giant wooden turn-table, and then encouraged with bull-whips to run frantically in circles until the desired optimum centrifugal and centripetal forces of the turn-table attain congruence. . .

The report is true. My friend's uncle's younger cousin's elder brother was one of the Area Boys used in the reactor. He's currently convalescing at St. Nicholas hospital, Lagos. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by ikeyman00(m): 7:09pm On Sep 26, 2008
at last someone out there can afford a smile now? yes nice achievement? lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Kobojunkie: 1:02am On Sep 27, 2008
http://thepmnews.com/2008/09/26/3rd-mainland-bridge-opens-fully-sunday-midnight#comment-28069

Nigeria launches first nuclear reactor

KANO, Nigeria (AFP) Sep 30, 2004
Nigeria launched its first nuclear reactor for scientific research Thursday in the northern university city of Zaria, the research project director, Ibrahim Umar, said.
The reactor, which is solely for scientific purposes and constructed with technical assistance from the International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA), was launched in Ahmadu Bello University, the largest university in northern Nigeria, Umar told AFP in a telephone interview.

Umar, director of the university's Centre for Energy Research and Training, which is in charge of the project, said that the reactor was commissioned by Nigeria's science and technology minister in the presence of representatives of IAEA and the Nigeria's Energy Commission.

"The reactor will solely be applied for scientific research which includes soil mapping to quantify different elements in the soil to boost agricultural production and to reduce the use of chemical fertilizer as well as for solid minerals identification in Nigeria", he said.

"It will also be used in petroleum exploration and for identifying elements associated with diseases in the human body and other human-related research purposes", Umar said.

He ruled out the possibility of expanding the project for research in nuclear weapons, saying the project is under the strict supervision of the

"We are not involved in strategic research like nuclear weapon because we are a university-based research centre, located within the university. We have been doing this kind of research using other techniques which are just expanding using nuclear reactor," he said.

According to Umar, the research centre would be liaising with ministries for science and technology, water resources, agriculture and petroleum for its research programmes.

What is the status on this project??
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by TheSly: 1:14am On Sep 27, 2008
Jakumo:

After reading these, I could see some smokes coming out of my head. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 1:53am On Sep 27, 2008
Jakumo:

all this unnecessary grammar sef grin grin grin jk jk
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by A40(m): 2:08am On Sep 27, 2008
Jeez and i thought i could speak good english
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 2:31am On Sep 27, 2008
A-40:

Jeez and i thought i could speak good english
[s]My friend, when ppl throw in that much unnecessary grammar, it makes it hard to understand. But seriously, what was he saying? [/s]
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by davidylan4(m): 2:35am On Sep 27, 2008
Jakumo the great! grin
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 27, 2008
wan ti ti ban e? oga o.
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Uche2nna(m): 2:38am On Sep 27, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

[s]My friend, when people throw in that much unnecessary grammar, it makes it hard to understand. But seriously, what was he saying? [/s]

lol

To think that Jakumo is just pointing out Nigeria's ineptitude in running a nuclear programme with all tha yinglish is making me laff ma ass off!!!!  grin

The grammar he is using even dey complicated pass the problem sef  grin
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 2:40am On Sep 27, 2008
Uche2nna:

lol

To think that Jakumo is just pointing out Nigeria's [b]ineptitude [/b]in running a nuclear programme with all tha yinglish is making me laff ma ass off!!!! grin

The grammar he is using even dey complicated pass the problem sef grin
*checking dictionary* oh yes yes, the ineptitude grin grin
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Uche2nna(m): 2:41am On Sep 27, 2008
angry
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 2:44am On Sep 27, 2008
Uche2nna:

angry
Ki lo de? smiley

@post
It has the do with Nigeria's ineptitude tongue
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by A40(m): 2:52am On Sep 27, 2008
@Ruby_Pearl
Mumble-Jumble lol
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by TheSly: 3:32am On Sep 27, 2008
nigeria1@/:

I say the story no true. You know why? I knew of the nuclear accelerator. It is been used for education means. I remember one of invisting prof from Ife Pro bamigboye or sound like that, said so. But I do not think it is active. This story can not be true. I say president Yar adua should order the arrest of the author. He is trying to create more trouble for Yar adua. Look if you really activated a nuclear accelerator , it would force the USA to want to see and if yar adua refused to allow the USA to do that, They would attack nigeria. that what the author want. That why i said it is false information.

This would make nigeria a target, The Yar adua govt is already been considered as a risk to the USA .
Can you prove these with a Satellite picture? cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by DeepZone: 6:34am On Sep 27, 2008
I do not know where it is located. but i know we do have one. But they shut it down many year ago.

@Nigeria1, I can't believe that you can't locate the nuclear reactor with satellite pictures.
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by DeepZone: 6:36am On Sep 27, 2008
I say the story no true. You know why? [b]I knew of the nuclear accelerator[/b]. It is been used for education means. I remember one of invisting prof from Ife Pro bamigboye or sound like that, said so. But I do not think it is active. This story can not be true. I say president Yar adua should order the arrest of the author. He is trying to create more trouble for Yar adua. [b]Look if you really activated a nuclear accelerator , it would force the USA to want to see and if yar adua refused to allow the USA to do that, They would attack nigeria. that what the author want[/b]. That why i said it is false information.

This would make nigeria a target, The Yar adua govt is already been considered as a risk to the USA .

@Bold, Roflmao grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Twy: 11:26am On Sep 27, 2008
To NigeriaOne. I have always suspected you may have attended ife's space technology program for your satellite info but I am not 100% sure.

On the accelerator, you do have good but old info, yes Ife likely has an inactive one bought years ago that did not work but the commissioned one is a new one and I think much smaller, it is used largely for research and application purposes. Nuclear science/application is much complicated and can me merged with other fields including geo-science, medicine, energy and chemistry, not sure about soil science.
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by RibaduFan(m): 10:54pm On Sep 28, 2008
Nigeria and misplaced priorities, people are hungry we re installing nuclear reactors.
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by bawomolo(m): 12:19am On Sep 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Nigeria and misplaced priorities, people are hungry we re installing nuclear reactors.

academic research is not a misplaced priority
Re: Nigeria Activates Nuclear Accelerator At Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 29, 2008
yemmyse:

abi o

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Thugs Arrested In South Africa / Nigeria:politics And Ideology / Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.