Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,648 members, 7,878,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:59 AM

Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us (3344 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 11:27pm On Sep 29, 2008
This is an appeal to everyone in the Naija Movie business including the fans, fans of fans, well wishers, apologists, excuse makers, daddy of the producer, sister in law to the brother of the Assistant Producer's mother in law. . .

PLEASE STOP EMBARRASSING US!

It is bad enough we have to see the movie your churn out on our Naija website but on IMDB too?

Come on! This is just all sorts of WRONG!!

For those who don’t know what IMDB stands for THE INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE, A site for GOOD, TOP NOTCH MOVIE and it is embarrassing to see Naija movies on there!!

My God! You’d think an “Award Winning” website like IMDB will have some sort of vetting process in place to sift out the corn from the shaft.

Apart from not being up to par production, Development and everything else wise, the Naija movie enteries are NEVER complete. Just some shoddy paapaapaa, wuruwuru entry, like they begged them to do it.

A normal movie entry includes the following

Top Links
trailers and videos
full cast and crew
trivia
official sites
memorable quotes

Overview
main details
combined details
full cast and crew
company credits
tv schedule

Awards & Reviews
user comments
external reviews
newsgroup reviews
awards
user ratings
parents guide
recommendations
message board

Plot & Quotes
plot summary
plot synopsis
plot keywords
Amazon.com  summary
memorable quotes

Fun Stuff
trivia
goofs
soundtrack listing
crazy credits
alternate versions
movie connections
FAQ

Other Info
merchandising links
box office/business
release dates
filming locations
technical specs
laserdisc details
DVD details
literature listings
NewsDesk

Promotional
taglines
trailers and videos
posters
photo gallery

External Links
showtimes
official sites
miscellaneous
photographs
sound clips
video clips

The only thing the Naija movies have is the cast list. No plot line, No pictures, No Videos,. . . NOTHING!

IT IS NOT BY FORCE!

Thrust in the middle of all the other movies from other countries, Nollywood comes off really pathetic and I didn’t think it was possible to come off worse than it already is.

So it is with a humble heart, on bended knees I beg whoever is in charge, either make the movie up to par or stop putting the movies where REAL MOVIE people can see them.

Thank You

Here’s a link to all the Naija Movies on IMDB. . . Pick one, any one and see for yourself.

http://www.imdb.com/List?tv=on&&countries=Nigeria&&nav=/Sections/Countries/Nigeria/include-titles&&heading=8;All;Nigeria
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Reptyle(m): 1:53am On Sep 30, 2008
Yet another retarded post ***hisses, shakes head sadly and zooms off
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 2:40am On Sep 30, 2008
LMAO! Of course it is retarded. . . when it is about putting effort into things and making it better, it is retarded. Heaven forbid, we actually sit down and come up with something IMDB Worthy, nah. . . what for, when we can continue our enabling act. Yes, let's all zoom off and hiss while doing it too.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by vescucci(m): 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2008
If you weren't the one telling me this I would believe it. IMDB though a database should not let that word 'database' mislead them into putting garbage in their site. I've been complaining that why should C-movies and 'straight to DVD' movies be included and I'm afflicted with thi horrible news. Since the 'M' in IMDB means movies, how can you explain putting trash in IMDB? Methinks one dude (I refrain from choosing a more suitable name for fear of the tribal people flocking in here) went and bribed some other dude to get the slots. Na really by force?

As for the quintessential protagonists (or antagonists, depending on which side of the fence you are) I love the way you make them seem puny by laughing them off. I'm sure to get some half educated bloke challenging my 'convoluted mind' That's why I'm Vescucci and not John Doe, d'uh!
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by ebelegirl(f): 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2008
@ Poster, your argument is seriously lacking. It seems that you are upset because Nollywood movies are on the IMDB site when you feel Nollywood movies are not "good enough" to be included in such a database. I frequent that site (IMDB) often and as the name states it is a database, which means ANY and ALL kinds of movies can be included. The point of the site is to list movies and have people discuss and rate the movies. There are many crappy Hollywood movies listed on the site. Should they be removed because they are not up to par (as in they received poor ratings from viewers)? You can even look up movies based on low rankings.

Just to prove how off your topic is, visit the link below. It is the IMDB list of worst rated movies. As you will see, all are from hollywood, yet they still exist on the site. Any chance to knock Nollywood will surely be taken ! Geez!

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 4:06pm On Sep 30, 2008
vescucci:

If you weren't the one telling me this I would believe it. IMDB though a database should not let that word 'database' mislead them into putting garbage in their site. I've been complaining that why should C-movies and 'straight to DVD' movies be included and I'm afflicted with thi horrible news. Since the 'M' in IMDB means movies, how can you explain putting trash in IMDB? Methinks one dude (I refrain from choosing a more suitable name for fear of the tribal people flocking in here) went and bribed some other dude to get the slots. Na really by force?

As for the quintessential protagonists (or antagonists, depending on which side of the fence you are) I love the way you make them seem puny by laughing them off. I'm sure to get some half educated bloke challenging my 'convoluted mind' That's why I'm Vescucci and not John Doe, d'uh!

Bribery? Of course! Why didn't I think of that! It's got to be bribery or blackmail.  grin

So tell me, is there any other way to respond to the quintessential protagonist, antagonist and whatever gonist you can think. . . apart from laughing?  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 5:26pm On Sep 30, 2008
ebelegirl:

@ Poster, your argument is seriously lacking. It seems that you are upset because Nollywood movies are on the IMDB site when you feel Nollywood movies are not "good enough" to be included in such a database. I frequent that site (IMDB) often and as the name states it is a database, which means ANY and ALL kinds of movies can be included. The point of the site is to list movies and have people discuss and rate the movies. There are many crappy Hollywood movies listed on the site. Should they be removed because they are not up to par (as in they received poor ratings from viewers)? You can even look up movies based on low rankings.

Just to prove how off your topic is, visit the link below. It is the IMDB list of worst rated movies. As you will see, all are from hollywood, yet they still exist on the site. Any chance to knock Nollywood will surely be taken ! Geez!

http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

LMAO! What can I say, you got me. Gee I am so embarrassed right now, It's not a nice feeling when someone throws sandsand in your argument just like that.

You are right, the point of IMDB is to. . . and I'll quote you (hope you don't mind) "list movies and have people discuss and rate the movies.. The idea is for anyone to go on IMDB, type in the movie they want, rate it and discuss it with others.

Okay let's do just that. . .

I'll go first and pick[b] Passionate Appeal [/b]starring Ramsey Nouah.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0842611/

Synopsis according to IMDB is. . . not there.
Plot according to IMDB is. . . is missing
User Comments, User reviews, Rating, Credits etc according IMDB is. . . not available.

Let's try another, obviously there is wro. . . let's just try another.

Another New Day [/b]starring Bimbo Akintola

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0972766/

User Comments, User reviews, Rating, Credits etc according IMDB is. . . not available.

Alright I think IMDB is down on my laptop, I'm gonna use a Desktop for another Movie.

[b]Black Bra
Oh heavens! What a name embarassed starring Nonso Diobi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1017856/

Break up [/b]with Pat Attah
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494658/

[b]Butterfly
starring Chidi Ihesie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0494483/

Tears and Sorrow [/b]starring Sandra Achums

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0943501/

Okay, I'm stumped. Is there a special goggles to see these things regular eyes can't and it is only available to only a selected few. . .  Coz I gotta tell ya, there isn't much to jump start a discussion here let alone rate the movie. So my sister, doesn't this (not having a complete entry, I mean) defeat the purpose of IMDB, you know the one you have so patiently schooled us about?? 

Let's try movies on your WORST LIST shall we

[b]Disaster Movie

Synopsis - Check
User ratings - Check
Reviews - Check
DISCUSSION - Check

Zombie Nation

Synopsis - Check
User ratings - Check
Reviews - Check
DISCUSSION - Check

Barschel - Mord in Genf?
(from Germany)

Synopsis - Check
User ratings - Check
Reviews - Check
DISCUSSION - Check

Kis Vuk (From Hungary)

Synopsis - Check
User ratings - Check
Reviews - Check
DISCUSSION - Check

Emret komutanim: Sah mat (From Turkey)

Synopsis - Check
User ratings - Check
Reviews - Check
DISCUSSION - Check

Please tell me again how my argument is seriously lacking?

Oh by the by, I'd be remiss in my duty as a member of a civilized society if I didn't thank you for posting that link because it not only proves my point. . . it marries it, it makes love to it and gives birth to it.  Seriously, how BAD, AWFUL, HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, do you have to be not to be included in the WORST MOVIE LIST? It's like NOLLYWOOD does not even cross their radar, like they are saying including NOLLYWOOD movies on the WORST MOVIE LIST is an insult to the the movies on the list. . . and I'm the one knocking Nollywood down?

Jeebus!!

Take The Blinders off, People!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by ebelegirl(f): 5:40pm On Sep 30, 2008
@ poster - so your evaluation of a decent movie industry is based on the fact that a movie has listed all the actors, the plot and synopsis and a discussion on IMDB?? OMG! I have never laughed more in my life! Measure the movie on its merit not on the fact that it was not properly listed on IMDB is the point I am trying to make. So, I can create a horrible, low budget piece of crap of a movie but because I list it on IMDB along with its plot, synopsis, actors and then start a discussion that automatically means my movie is worthy Wow! Too funny! I have seen many crappy Nollywood movies, yes. But I have also seen many crappy hollywood movies that I would say are actually worse than a lot of Nollywood movies. Oh but the hollywood movie is listed on IMDB along with its plot and some discussions so that makes it ok. Um, ya. Think again boo boo.

Very illogical rationalizations you are making, my dear.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2008
More movies to discuss and rate

Egbo Emi
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0900929/

Eru Ife
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983847/

Baba Eleshin
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286772/

Agogo Eewo
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424777/

Adun Ewuro
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1109454/

Ina Fitila
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193576/

Ito Urine
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1266660/

PS
An amendment to the first post . . . even if they Nollywood movies have complete entries and they are up to par, they should still be vetted for TITLES.
What is Black Bra? Ito Urine? Madam Yoyo? Basket Mouth? Bumper to Bumper? Chicken Madness? Dollars from Germany? Fila Daddy? Husband my foot?

I can go on and on but I am too depressed.  These movies are on IMDB and they are tagged NIGERIA!!! 
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 30, 2008
Sisikill, the best Nollywood movies are the old ones.
The ones with morals and lessons in it, not the useless ones they make nowadays.

I just watched one with a friend yest., had to get the subtitled ones.
She loves it. Even Jamaicans love Nigerian movies shocked shocked

The english ones made in big towns like lagos etc, boringggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 30, 2008
Agoga Eewo was not that interesting, but [b]Saworoide [/b]was the besttttttttttt kiss kiss
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by tope2000(f): 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2008
I thot i was the only one that find the english naija movies boringggggggggggggggggg
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 30, 2008
boringggggggggggggg. their accents are the worst. abeg, stick with yoruba, plz.
The plot? Is there even any?
What's the point?
NO climax. . . . No point!!!!!!! cry cry cry cry
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 6:53pm On Sep 30, 2008
ebelegirl:

@ poster - so your evaluation of a decent movie industry is based on the fact that a movie has listed all the actors, the plot and synopsis and a discussion on IMDB?? OMG! I have never laughed more in my life! Measure the movie on its merit not on the fact that it was not properly listed on IMDB is the point I am trying to make. So, I can create a horrible, low budget piece of crap of a movie but because I list it on IMDB along with its plot, synopsis, actors and then start a discussion that automatically means my movie is worthy Wow! Too funny! I have seen many crappy Nollywood movies, yes. But I have also seen many crappy hollywood movies that I would say are actually worse than a lot of Nollywood movies. Oh but the hollywood movie is listed on IMDB along with its plot and some discussions so that makes it ok. Um, ya. Think again boo boo.

Very illogical rationalizations you are making, my dear.

Oy vey! Defenders are sooo sweet in their staunch defense and how they try to circumvent an issue, even if they were the ones who made it in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one who just told us IMDB is meant for lisiting movies for people to discuss and rate?

How have the Nollywood movies listed on IMDB accomplished that? How can we discuss and rate when we don't have the necessary information.

You provided a link to the worst movie on IMDB to support the "see we aren't the only ones who make bad movies" excuse you apologist are so quick to make and I showed you that even the WORST MOVIES still give the audience something to discuss and Rate. . . again what, according to YOU, IMDB is meant for, by providing useful information, something Naija movies don't do. . .

Why bother listing them on IMDB if it's not going to be useful to anyone?

Nollywood makes horrible, crappy movies, which is already a strike against them, then they list the movies on the LARGEST MOVIE DATABASE on the web in the the same manner they go about making their movies, Shoddy, careless and just crappy. They are so BAD (production and listing wise), they don't cross anyone's radar (on the other hand, maybe that is something to be grateful for).

If you create a horrible, low budget piece of crap and it is list correctly on IMDB, giving the audience to the opportunity to DO WHAT IMDB was intended for. . . then YES, ABSOLUTELY, IT IS IMDB WORTHY!!! Do you get it now? Do ya?

By the way, you are not seriously comparing a Hollywood Crappy movie to a Nigerian Crappy movie? Pray tell, what Criteria do you use. . . Volume or Production? Another thing, how can anyone who thinks Nigerian movies are good find fault in any Hollywood? Do you have certain expectations for Nollywood Movies and is it lower than the one you have for Hollywood Movies? Why?
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 6:59pm On Sep 30, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Sisikill, the best Nollywood movies are the old ones.
The ones with morals and lessons in it, not the useless ones they make nowadays.

I just watched one with a friend yest., had to get the subtitled ones.
She loves it. Even Jamaicans love Nigerian movies  shocked shocked

The english ones made in big towns like lagos etc, boringggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I agree 100%. There were so Authentic and so very good!

These new ones are so affected, so horribly bad, it is embarrassing and while we are still coming to terms with this sad fact, they take it one step further by listing them on the biggest movie database on the web. . . jagalajagala-ish!

Why? Why? For all that is Holy. . . WHY?!!!  embarassed embarassed embarassed

tope2000:

I thot i was the only one that find the english naija movies boringggggggggggggggggg

Rotflmao! Welcome to the Club!!
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by vescucci(m): 3:36pm On Oct 02, 2008
Plenty talk! Nollywood movies are 97% terrible. 2% are okay and only 1% are truly worth it. I was watching a local programme where this woman rates naija movies and she had a guest who made a movie named Rivals. The name sounds stupid like many a nigerian movie but once a small clip was played from the film and the guest (the producer and actress) gave a more detailed synopsis, I was impressed not only because it got an award at a film festival somewhere (I think Cannes and I think it won best foreign film or best african film) but because the idea was brilliant and the film-making was poetic. No use of big and flashy cars to denote wealth (it has always amazed me where they get people's homes to rent for their bollocks). The dialogue wasn't too bad. There, of course, were a fair share of flaws but I find flaws in almost every movie, including my personal favorites.

So this is the bottom line. I do not mince words.

The naija movies featured in IMDB are supposedly our 'best' if they aren't they're our top 5%. They do not compare to the worst movies, not only from the U. S. but from all over the globe. The chic trying to defend the industry writes well enough (no pun intended, I meant it like I said it) so I can assume you're very intelligent (no pun intended now either) so stop the feud with Sisi and admit naija movies are crap and we need to do something about it. My outlook has changed. If I have my way I'll do something about it with the help of a few of my friends. First when I finish my book I'll see about an adaptation. Seun, don't come here o. My book ain't worth 25 large. Drop your hatchet and call a spade a spade.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 5:47pm On Oct 02, 2008
vescucci:

Plenty talk! Nollywood movies are 97% terrible. 2% are okay and only 1% are truly worth it. I was watching a local programme where this woman rates naija movies and she had a guest who made a movie named Rivals. The name sounds stupid like many a nigerian movie but once a small clip was played from the film and the guest (the producer and actress) gave a more detailed synopsis, I was impressed not only because it got an award at a film festival somewhere (I think Cannes and I think it won best foreign film or best african film) but because the idea was brilliant and the film-making was poetic. No use of big and flashy cars to denote wealth (it has always amazed me where they get people's homes to rent for their bollocks). The dialogue wasn't too bad. There, of course, were a fair share of flaws but I find flaws in almost every movie, including my personal favorites.

So this is the bottom line. I do not mince words.

The naija movies featured in IMDB are supposedly our 'best' if they aren't they're our top 5%. They do not compare to the worst movies, not only from the U. S. but from all over the globe. The chic trying to defend the industry writes well enough (no pun intended, I meant it like I said it) so I can assume you're very intelligent (no pun intended now either) so stop the feud with Sisi and admit naija movies are crap and we need to do something about it. My outlook has changed. If I have my way I'll do something about it with the help of a few of my friends. First when I finish my book I'll see about an adaptation. Seun, don't come here o. My book ain't worth 25 large. Drop your hatchet and call a spade a spade.

Vesc, quit the jokes! Those movies are supposed to be our best? That's why they are on IMDB? Oh my God!! Where can I get a brown paperbag to cover my head in shame!  embarassed embarassed

Ay yi yi!!
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by vescucci(m): 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2008
U'd better accept them as a necessary evil that provides you with a numerical value so you can appreciate the awesomeness of some movies. If one says to another 'on a scale of 1 to 10, rate this movie' At least you can now change that to a scale of 0 to 10. Hurray for movies rated 1 with the lot.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 4:35pm On Oct 03, 2008
Lmao! You are a glass half full person, aren't you?
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by vescucci(m): 5:17pm On Oct 04, 2008
Someone's got to look on the bright side or else someone or some people will eventually lose it
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by pnkydbrain(m): 4:34pm On Oct 10, 2008
Sisikill
Good observation. Summary Nollywood. is crap. Just plays on people's ignorance to pay some bills. Hollywood is actually a place where people live. Nollywood is a dumb concept. There may be some nice plots but execution is always zero. Production is always zero, single camera coverage tongue. No need to encourage them. If the Nigerian movie industry"I hate to call it Nollywood" was to release 12 good films a year. It would be better than all the rubbish being produced. Most real actors go to acting school, language school, dancing schools,etc etc. N has lost the plot. At the best N is still in the era of playwritting and stage performance.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by DeepZone: 5:19pm On Oct 10, 2008
It's funny how some half educated people quickly display their knowledge. undecided IMDB is a database and as such can contain any movie even if it was made in heaven. Will you also ask those adding incomplete information in wikipedia to stop until they get the whole facts right with the corresponding pictures?. Isn't that why they always say that wiki is not reliable? Again,most of those nollywood movies were not added on IMDB by Nollywood. Those sites are only after google traffic, the more they see the traffic on particular movie, the more the movie is likely to be listed . You can see some Nollywood actors/actresses on IMDB with no accurate biographical information and picture and I've personally seen some listed as male when they are female. Don't they also have crappy American movies on IMDB? . Is nollywood going to take the bullet for a white man's mistake because he/she is trying to load up their company's Dbase for business purposes?.
Half education is very dangerous. undecided undecided
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 6:26pm On Oct 10, 2008
Rotflmao! Welcome DeepZone. . . Before we go any further, I want to tell you not to feel too threatened okay, I know how the half educated can intimidate the quarter to none educated such as your fine self. We will try to slow the pace for you, mmmkay?

Moving on. . .

We are going to do this the same way I teach my 2yrs old niece. . . I won't spoon feed you. I'm going to make you work for it because I sincerely believe in the old saying, you can lead a horse to stream but you can't force it to drink. I'm going to lead you to stream. . . slowly. Yep, I think with you, we are going to start from the very, very begininng. Now go crack open your dictionary and check for the meaning DATABASE and then come back let's talk.

Take your time, you hear me. . . .I'll wait. wink
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by chiogo(f): 8:40pm On Oct 10, 2008
Ummm, I have no idea what IMDB is but the poster ain't lying. Naija movies. . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by superstan(m): 12:42pm On Oct 11, 2008
chiogo:

Ummm, I have no idea what IMDB is but the poster ain't lying. Naija movies. . . . lipsrsealed

nollywood should be restructured.

98% of the movies they make are just horrible.

what is the censors board doing?
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by doyin13(m): 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2008
MORENIKE. . . .

Sharrap dia. . . . .Agogo Eewo was tightly produced and the script did not veer off
like Kelani did in Saworoide which began very well.

Come to think of it. . .you would fit right into Nollywood
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by ExInferis(m): 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2008
i wonder why some peole insist on calling the garbage that comes out of Nollywood "Movies". they most certainly do not merit that tag. "home videos" is more like it, and that automatically disqualifies them from the Internet MOVIES Database. sure, some straight-to-DVD conent feature on IMDB but the fact is they have better production values than the nonsense our industry unleashes upon the hapless.

whoever said some bad Hollywood movies are worse than some naija movies is a liar or is confused.

the worst hollywood flick is light years ahead of the best naija movie IMHO.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 6:16pm On Oct 11, 2008
Rotflmao! Now, Now Ex. . . don't be s hard on them. I imagine it must be very difficult hearing something you hold so dear to your heart is not as up to par as you think. It's gonna take awhile and a lot of patience to raise the veil . . are you ready?
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by JJYOU: 7:30pm On Oct 11, 2008
see this link roo What Kind Of Movie Do You Want Nigerians To Make? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-103241.0.html
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by lucabrasi(m): 12:03pm On Oct 12, 2008
im not being tribalistic here but i must admit i found most main frame movie productions very good though still not up to hollywood standards, having said that the worst hollywood production ,even hollywood production in the 1950s,60s and 70s and light years better than nollywood,what pisses me off is the way we nigerians are in denial and blindly defend these guys when we know they r churning out crap movies, even drug or alcohol addicts will tell you the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem,if you dont blieve nollywood is rubbish,how do you start making the first step into recovery
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2008
I'm not being tribalistic here but i must admit i found most main frame movie productions very good though still not up to hollywood standards, having said that the worst hollywood production ,even hollywood production in the 1950s,60s and 70s and light years better than nollywood,what pisses me off is the way we nigerians are in denial and blindly defend these guys when we know they r churning out crap movies, even drug or alcohol addicts will tell you the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem,if you don't blieve nollywood is rubbish,how do you start making the first step into recovery

Why do we always compare Nollywood with Hollywood? Are they the same? Do they have the same amount of financing and technology? Will you also compare Nigeria's nuclear technology with the US?. What recovery are you talking about in Nollywood? is it only Nollywood or the whole movies churned out from Nigeria including the yoruba movies?. this Nollywood hype is getting out of hand but tell those that think it's crap to lay off it and watch something else, they wouldn't leave them alone. Movie making is the least of Nigeria's problem, if you feel that Nollywood is crap, get over it and watch hollywood because they release many movies each week. Nigerian music as popular as they are still get on my nerves but I don't go around online whining on how I seriously want Tuface to evolve into Usher. If Hollywood's 1950's production are better than nollywood, good. Just go to the archives and get some entertainment and tell Nollywood to go to hell. It's not as if any of them is free or Nollywood movies are funded with Nigerian money. Enough of this whining abeg.

One wonders why Yoruba movies are never criticized here or are they Hollywood standards? How will we know when it's only the yoruba's and a handful of non yorubas that watch them. Even Hollywood has critics that assess movies released each week but for the fact that Yoruba movies has no criticism at all, it's either they are better than Hollywood or they are not interested in improvement since there can never be any criticism. If there is yet for I have not seen, get me a link anywhere online. let them know that constructive criticism that is not mixed with tribal hatred is very healthy and opens the door for improvement.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2008
This is an appeal to everyone in the Naija Movie business including the fans, fans of fans, well wishers, apologists, excuse makers, daddy of the producer, sister in law to the brother of the Assistant Producer's mother in law. . .

PLEASE STOP EMBARRASSING US!

It is bad enough we have to see the movie your churn out on our Naija website but on IMDB too?

Come on! This is just all sorts of WRONG!!

For those who don’t know what IMDB stands for THE INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE, A site for GOOD, TOP NOTCH MOVIE and it is embarrassing to see Naija movies on there!!

My God! You’d think an “Award Winning” website like IMDB will have some sort of vetting process in place to sift out the corn from the shaft. Huh

Apart from not being up to par production, Development and everything else wise, the Naija movie enteries are NEVER complete. Just some shoddy paapaapaa, wuruwuru entry, like they begged them to do it.

A normal movie entry includes the following

No need making so much noise here. If you feel embarrassed by Nollywood that you hate so much, make your own movies and put those that laugh at Nigeria to shame by making a Hollywood standard movie. a lot of you here needs something to do with their lives besides poking their nose in other people's businesses or your boss needs to increase your work load because you sound like those people that work in thee bank. that's why they render a 5 minute service in 30 minutes because those girls will be on nairaland and naijaryders typing what i don't know.

Nollywood has done more for Nigeria's image than your govt, 419, your infrastructure, religious riots, political instability,your education,etc. Nigeria should be thankful that they have Nollywood because the world still give us some credit after all. It used to be our football but the ball ma sef, is ailing. I like to get job done, if you don't like their work, either ignore them or improve by being involved and not shouting on nairaland like person wey drink goat milk(no disprespect).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Websites For Downloading Movies With Ease. / Best Movie Villain/"bad Guy" / Where Can I Download Da Vinci Code?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.