Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,777 members, 7,930,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 02:03 AM

Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us (3389 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by lucabrasi(m): 2:34pm On Oct 12, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Why do we always compare Nollywood with Hollywood? Are they the same? Do they have the same amount of financing and technology? Will you also compare Nigeria's nuclear technology with the US?. What recovery are you talking about in Nollywood? is it only Nollywood or the whole movies churned out from Nigeria including the yoruba movies?. this Nollywood hype is getting out of hand but tell those that think it's crap to lay off it and watch something else, they wouldn't leave them alone. Movie making is the least of Nigeria's problem, if you feel that Nollywood is crap, get over it and watch hollywood because they release many movies each week. Nigerian music as popular as they are still get on my nerves but I don't go around online whining on how I seriously want Tuface to evolve into Usher. If Hollywood's 1950's production are better than nollywood, good. Just go to the archives and get some entertainment and tell Nollywood to go to hell. It's not as if any of them is free or Nollywood movies are funded with Nigerian money. Enough of this whining abeg.

One wonders why Yoruba movies are never criticized here or are they Hollywood standards? How will we know when it's only the yoruba's and a handful of non yorubas that watch them. Even Hollywood has critics that assess movies released each week but for the fact that Yoruba movies has no criticism at all, it's either they are better than Hollywood or they are not interested in improvement since there can never be any criticism. If there is yet for I have not seen, get me a link anywhere online. let them know that constructive criticism that is not mixed with tribal hatred is very healthy and opens the door for improvement.

seems you didnt get the context in which i made my comments, reffering to nollywood im lumping both the yoruba,ibo and to a lesser extent the hausa wood all together,if you see me criticising nollywood in any thread at all i wasnt on about just the ibo part,for me what we have is ibo wood,yorubawood and hausawood collectively they are nollywood,hope you understand what i meant now, just thought i should clear that up so i wont be misunderstood or derail the thread now to the topic

while i agree with you on the first paragraph,i wasnt comparing hollywood to nollywood as such but if you look back at hollywood movies even in the 1940s and 50s, in spite of the poor quality and everything,the storyline was tight,and everyone there knew what they were doing even till tmorro go see movies like cat on a hot thin roof,captain corelli's mandolin(the first edition)and other movies made in the 1930s/40s they are still classics not because of the technology but storyline,delivery,professionalism e.t.c

i cant hold brief for others on here but for me,the one and main reason you see me "whingeing and whining"is because i really like nollywood and i believe the can do much more, we have much more stories to tell and convert into movies even than hollywood,a rich cultural heritage only if we can get our acts together,are you saying because we dont live or work in nigeria,therefore we shouldnt criticise or tell it like it is??
should we tell the president and nigerians to go to hell just cause we live abroad?
as massive as hollywood is,dont the brad pitts,a jolie tom cruise get slaughtered in the print and electronic media?
pls lets move on from this we cant criticise,we cant say anything negative,its bad belle its playa hating e.t.c

well being a bonafide yoruba man,allow me to be the first to criticise them,i believe ibo movies are bad but yoruba movies are worse,at least in ibowood the genevieves,rita dominics,ini edos e.t.c still represent look good and they can still hold their own anywhere in the world, yoruba artistes are worse,local and semi literate at best,if you check my comments all i can give yoruba side is the director tunde kelani and a few of the old school artistes who are excellent which is obvious when u see them collaborating and being used even by the ibo side,if u want me to tell u more about how bad the yoruba side is i will so lets not get it twisted,its not an ethic issue at all,you will read my own idea of genuine improvement in nollywood as a whole in other threads on here
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 11:00am On Oct 13, 2008
well being a bonafide yoruba man,allow me to be the first to criticise them,i believe ibo movies are bad but yoruba movies are worse,at least in ibowood the genevieves,rita dominics,ini edos e.t.c still represent look good and they can still hold their own anywhere in the world, yoruba artistes are worse,local and semi literate at best,if you check my comments all i can give yoruba side is the director tunde kelani and a few of the old school artistes who are excellent which is obvious when u see them collaborating and being used even by the ibo side,if u want me to tell u more about how bad the yoruba side is i will so lets not get it twisted,its not an ethic issue at all,you will read my own idea of genuine improvement in nollywood as a whole in other threads on here
The issue of criticism on Hollywood movies is quite different from what is obtainable in Nollywood. Even a fool can see the tribal hate and i'm sorry to say that it comes from Yorubas most of the time. How many times have you seen or read an hausa man criticizing Nollywood? They will rather criticize kannywood and because of that, it's very easy to understand any of them trying to criticize Nollywood is doing so constructively. You can bear me witness, when last have you read or heard any form of criticism for yorubawood on nairaland or elsewhere?. You can't because most of the tribal critics are not ready to take out the speck in their own eye before asking another person to do so.

I understand what you are saying, it's just that the tribal critiques among your people are so much that it's now difficult to weed out the sincere ones. I may disagree with you on the issue of yoruba movies being worse because we sell them too to the yoruba audience and if they love it, who are you to say it's worse. Our movies musn't be like oyibo movies. You need to realize that cultural and religious differences inspire the story lines and funding is a very big factor in this movie business. How will a yoruba producer come up with a world class cinematography when he is working with a 500K naira capital for the whole project? That is coffee money for a hollywood project. We should pat those that try to come up with something while risking their money because i don't think you'll risk yours to make a movie in a country like Nigeria where there are no insured ways to recoup your money. Most editing studios in enugu are still substandard even when the proprietors have invested over 10M in them. Unless there is funding somehow like hollywood, our improvement will still remain a snail trek.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by lucabrasi(m): 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

The issue of criticism on Hollywood movies is quite different from what is obtainable in Nollywood. Even a fool can see the tribal hate and i'm sorry to say that it comes from Yorubas most of the time. How many times have you seen or read an hausa man criticizing Nollywood? They will rather criticize kannywood and because of that, it's very easy to understand any of them trying to criticize Nollywood is doing so constructively. You can bear me witness, when last have you read or heard any form of criticism for yorubawood on nairaland or elsewhere?. You can't because most of the tribal critics are not ready to take out the speck in their own eye before asking another person to do so.

well i agree with you but i dont think its a matter of hating the other tribe,look at it this way the yoruba side and the ibo side can be likened to bsiness rivals so each side is trying to sell his movies to the nigerian movie goer its like saying because you and i have shops facing each other and we start to say bad stuffs or criticise each other for customers,is it because you r ibo or because you are my rival?another reason the ibo side seems to get more criticism is because of the alaba marketers,you and i know that even though they have the money,they r the cause of so many problems in the nollywood industry and they have held nollywood by the neck,it is natural that any decay in nollywood will be blamed on ppl controlling alaba/marketters executive producers
the hausas cannot talk because artstically and busines wise only the ibo and yoruba sides of nollywood can be reckoned with
Aloy.Emeka:

I understand what you are saying, it's just that the tribal critiques among your people are so much that it's now difficult to weed out the sincere ones. I may disagree with you on the issue of yoruba movies being worse because we sell them too to the yoruba audience and if they love it, who are you to say it's worse. Our movies musn't be like oyibo movies. You need to realize that cultural and religious differences inspire the story lines and funding is a very big factor in this movie business. How will a yoruba producer come up with a world class cinematography when he is working with a 500K naira capital for the whole project? That is coffee money for a hollywood project. We should pat those that try to come up with something while risking their money because i don't think you'll risk yours to make a movie in a country like Nigeria where there are no insured ways to recoup your money. Most editing studios in enugu are still substandard even when the proprietors have invested over 10M in them. Unless there is funding somehow like hollywood, our improvement will still remain a snail trek.
i will give you another example,look at the chinese films we were all crazy about when we were kids, go back and see these films and you will see how poor the production are,one thing you will give them however is that the storyline/directing e.t.c is always on point either you are an ibo director targeting ibo viewers or you are a yoruba director targeting yoruba viewers,im sure you will agree with me that having a good script which is professionally written and good directing is paramount, its not about money at that stage its about allowing people who know what they are doing do the job and not drafting the producer's brother,girlfriend e.t.c to do the job which is what obtains in nollywood generally
the problem we have in nollywood is the same problem with nigerian politicians and leaders which is the big boys in alaba holding the whole of nollywood to ransom, look at the time they banned genevieve,rmd and some others some years ago,is that right??
look at a movie like rihanna and beyonce,how tacky and corny can that be??look at that movie things fall apart its still a classic,look at mainframe production movies classic,
what we are saying is that its not about them putting millions in but about them prioritising like distribtion,why are the alaba and iweka road ppl holding them to ransome,why cant hey start working on a distribution network like hmv,virgin records e.t.care you saying t cant be done?
if they did just that,and a producer is sure of pushing out half a million/1 million copies or more of their movies in 2 days to the major regions in nigeria,imagine how much they will make compared to now,what it the point of bad scripts and then riding hummer jeeps,navigator e.t.c will that make the movie better?
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 3:44pm On Oct 13, 2008
Seems there is problem with semantics here, apparently when people see Nollywood. . . They think Igbo movies (No wonder Kanto kept calling me a tribalist) Well let me clear it up, when we say Nollywood we mean ALL NIGERIAN MOVIES, regardless of tribe, that is -  Any movie coming out of Nigeria, Any movie made by Nigerians, any movies coming out of Nigeria, made by Nigerians for Nigerians with Nigerians speaking any Nigerian language - - - ALL NIGERIAN MOVIES!!!!!!!!!

I’m actually shocked and a wee bit disappointed that this has to be explained to people. Tribalism is really something coz it make otherwise intelligent people come off as. . . Well, not so intelligent. I mean I’m sure in the post where I put links of IMDB listings, there were some YORUBA moves there, So except I slept through the ceremony where Yoruba was made the new Igbo, I don’t see how any sensible person can see that and still scream tribalism

Jeebus! Enough with the tribalist, ethnicist, anti-language that is opposite of mine crapola and let us talk like the intelligent people we profess to be!!!

And if one more person uses the tired “go make your own movie” mantra, I swear on everything, I’m gonna

Gah!!!

Oh one more this. . . Our movies must not be like Oyinbo’s? You mean Good quality?

Really?

Seriously??!!

wwwomen.com/images/smilies/shakehead.gif"> We have a long-a-ways to go.

Nollywood. . . .errrr. . . . Oh excuuuuuuuse me, Nigeria Home Video Revolutionist Band, grab yourselves snicker bars coz we ain’t going anywhere for a loooooooooooooong while!
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 4:43pm On Oct 13, 2008

Seems there is problem with semantics here, apparently when people see Nollywood. . . They think Igbo movies (No wonder Kanto kept calling me a tribalist) Well let me clear it up, when we say Nollywood we mean ALL NIGERIAN MOVIES, regardless of tribe, that is -  Any movie coming out of Nigeria, Any movie made by Nigerians, any movies coming out of Nigeria, made by Nigerians for Nigerians with Nigerians speaking any Nigerian language - - - ALL NIGERIAN MOVIES!!!!!!!!!
BULL!!!! Nollywood has never been used here in Nairaland to describe the whole Nigerian movies. There's been arguments when they compare Yoruba movies and Nollywood.   If you meant Nigerian movies, why don't you entitle the thread as such?  It's same as me opening the same thread by shouting that Kannywood should stop embarrassing us and when busted, I'll say i meant the whole Nigerian movies. Furthermore, I don't see the sense it makes because Kannywood are largely consumed by hausas worldwide same as yorubawood. Nollywood has a wider audience but still largely Africans and some carribeans.  Any Asian, american etc that enjoys Nollywood do so because he or she was introduced to it by an African but generally there are no western fans. In other words, Nollywood has mainly African fans living in the diaspora and that shouldn't be confused with Americans or Europeans in general hence, I don't know whom we are embarrassing.

And if one more person uses the tired “go make your own movie” mantra, I swear on everything, I’m going to

Gah!!!

We are seriously waiting. Just let me know when you'll premier it and I promise to be your number one fan no matter how crappy it is.

Oh one more this. . . Our movies must not be like Oyinbo’s? You mean Good quality?

i never mentioned quality in my statement. I'll love us to have the same quality but it may not happen anytime soon unless we can afford to spend almost $1M to make one movie.

Nollywood. . . .errrr. . . . Oh excuuuuuuuse me, Nigeria Home Video Revolutionist Band, grab yourselves snicker bars because we ain’t going anywhere for a loooooooooooooong while!

No, we are going somewhere unless you relent in making your own standard first class production that will wipe away our shame on IMDB. The ball is in your court so, save us a face. We pray thee

Tribalism is really something because it make otherwise intelligent people come off as. . . Well, not so intelligent. I mean I’m sure in the post where I put links of IMDB listings, there were some YORUBA moves there, So except I slept through the ceremony where Yoruba was made the new Igbo, I don’t see how any sensible person can see that and still scream tribalism

One thing is being tribalistic but another is owning up to it. I prefer straight cut tribalists or racists that come out straight and tell it as it is. The title of the thread is different from what you are saying now. pardon me if you were ignorant of these terms because it's a high possiblity. Nollywood has been used in Nairaland over and over again to describe Nigerian movies that does not include yoruba and kannywood. Do you understand it now before you make the mistake again?
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 4:54pm On Oct 13, 2008
You need to calm down man! I don’t know in what context others have used Nollywood but for me it is the Nigerian Movie Industry. Again, shouldn’t the links to the Yoruba movies I put up, clued you in??!! Look I don’t play tribal war games and if that is what you’re looking for, you’re gonna have to find your opponent somewhere else, okay.

God!

How hard is it to read something and put it in context??!! I don’t care what kind of story is being told, what language is been used or where it is being shot, all I care about is NIGERIANS MAKING GOOD QUALITY MOVIES and except there are tribes opposed to good quality movies, I don’t see why this has to turn into a tribal war.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by lucabrasi(m): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2008
dude,this is part of the problem nollywood is not repeat IS NOT ibo english movies the nolly in front is sort of abreviating "nigeria"nolly,
we do not have english movies in nigeria yet we have ibo movies,the yoruba equevalent is the movie sango,super story,this life (i know they r tv series but its yoruba cast and almost fully english speakn)

another thing is that with the state nollywood is(nigerian not ibo movie practitioners)if you give them not 1 million dollars but 10 million dollars, i verily promise you that they will still come out with a crap movie,mayb with some hummer jeeps and navigators and then replace the small jewelries with diamonds but it ll still come out as it is so pls stop making excuses for them especially when they themselves are not disputing the fact that nollywood is in crisis
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2008
well i agree with you but i don't think its a matter of hating the other tribe,look at it this way the yoruba side and the ibo side can be likened to bsiness rivals so each side is trying to sell his movies to the nigerian movie goer its like saying because you and i have  shops facing each other and we start to say bad stuffs or criticise each other for customers,is it because you r ibo or because you are my rival?another reason the ibo side seems to get more criticism is because of the alaba marketers,you and i know that even though they have the money,they r the cause of so many problems in the nollywood industry and they have held nollywood by the neck,it is natural that any decay in nollywood will be blamed on people controlling alaba/marketters executive producers
the hausas cannot talk because artstically and busines wise only the ibo and yoruba sides of nollywood  can be reckoned with

It is not face me I face you rivalry because there are clear cut audience. Take yoruba movies for example, because of language barriers, the audience are 95% Yorubas because even if you subtitle a movie in english, many people including me still wants to understand the primary language because it'll enhance your understanding without reading and reading the closed caption.  That being said clears the market. You'll rarely see a yoruba person asking to buy a kannywood movie unless those that understand the language. same as you who may not care about French movies that much because the primary language is French unless it's a very popular one or you are a movie addict. Living in bondage sold a lot because of popularity but will nnot achieve that much sales in todays Nigeria because there are better movies than that made with a general language. Nollywood ignored hausas before  because of the barrier created by religion yet there are many northerners in the industry and they are growing large because they are very important if Nollywood stands a chance in breaking even in the north. Once again, one home fan is worth more than 20 in the Carribean,UK or US.

i will give you another example,look at the chinese films we were all crazy about when we were kids, go back and see these films and you will see how poor the production are,one thing you will give them however is that the storyline/directing e.t.c is always on point either you are an ibo director targeting ibo viewers or you are a yoruba director targeting yoruba viewers,I'm sure you will agree with me that having a good script which is professionally written and good directing is paramount, its not about money at that stage its about allowing people who know what they are doing do the job and not drafting the producer's brother,girlfriend e.t.c to do the job which is what obtains in nollywood generally
the problem we have in nollywood is the same problem with nigerian politicians and leaders which is the big boys in alaba holding the whole of nollywood to ransom, look at the time they banned genevieve,rmd and some others some years ago,is that right??
look at a movie like rihanna and beyonce,how tacky and corny can that be??look at that movie things fall apart its still a classic,look at mainframe production movies classic,
what we are saying is that its not about them putting millions in but about them prioritising like distribtion,why are the alaba and iweka road people holding them to ransome,why can't hey start working on a distribution network like hmv,virgin records e.t.care you saying t can't be done?
if they did just that,and a producer is sure of pushing out half a million/1 million copies or more of their movies in 2 days to the major regions in nigeria,imagine how much they will make compared to now,what it the point of bad scripts and then riding hummer jeeps,navigator e.t.c will that make the movie better?

@bold, Igbo boys in Alaba and Iweka are not holding Nollywood to ransom. The mistake you are making is that most of them own those productions because they financed it their last card and will not relent until they recoup their capital before talking about profit. Hollywood productions are rarely financed by individiuals and the banks that finance them have  an insured way of getting their capital back with the interest even if the movie is a failure.

The actors and actresses collect their money upfront, they don't care whether the movie sells or not although they pray it sells because it'll enhance their career. you have pirates everywhere that are waiting to duplicate your work one week after release. So, if a marketer fails to make his money 1 week after the movie is released, he is in soup, i swear. There are many logistics to this movie business that you don't know until you get involved. The marketers may have their own drama but generally they are taking the risks and it has backfired on some of them making it difficult for their children to go to school.  why should the Yoruba movie producers approach them for help in marketing ? it's because Nigeria has a very very complex market structure which may bring out the little thug in you for you to make it.

It's same for music CD's. lagbaja personally tried his best to arrest pirates  and enforced it but no PMAN or  Nigerian actor came out to help him expunge these pirates. They are like computer virus that can easily destroy your work.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 5:20pm On Oct 13, 2008
You need to calm down man! I don’t know in what context others have used Nollywood but for me it is the Nigerian Movie Industry. Again, shouldn’t the links to the Yoruba movies I put up, clued you in??!! Look I don’t play tribal war games and if that is what you’re looking for, you’re going to have to find your opponent somewhere else, okay.

God!

How hard is it to read something and put it in context??!! I don’t care what kind of story is being told, what language is been used or where it is being shot, all I care about is NIGERIANS MAKING GOOD QUALITY MOVIES and except there are tribes opposed to good quality movies, I don’t see why this has to turn into a tribal war.
There is no tribal war here. All i just said is that going by the history here, your title is not appropriate and if Lucabrasi can indulge you, he should be able to understand what am saying because you sound like your history here hasn't been long.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by AloyEmeka9: 5:27pm On Oct 13, 2008
dude,this is part of the problem nollywood is not repeat IS NOT ibo english movies the nolly in front is sort of abreviating "nigeria"nolly,
we do not have english movies in nigeria yet we have ibo movies,the yoruba equevalent is the movie sango,super story,this life (i know they r tv series but its yoruba cast and almost fully english speakn)

another thing is that with the state nollywood is(nigerian not ibo movie practitioners)if you give them not 1 million dollars but 10 million dollars, i verily promise you that they will still come out with a crap movie,mayb with some hummer jeeps and navigators and then replace the small jewelries with diamonds but it ll still come out as it is so please stop making excuses for them especially when they themselves are not disputing the fact that nollywood is in crisis

Is this not what I call pessimism? Why not give kannywood, abawood or yorubawood that $1m dollar and test their ability to make a quality production instead of faulting their actions befre hand. And I repeat, Nigeria is a free market. We are accusing this wood and that wood which are not human beings per say. Anybody can make movies in Nigeria as long as it passes the censorship board . Why can't we rise, say no to these BS movies, put our logistics together and come up with something superb? Consumers are like ashawo, they switch to something better the moment they see it and marketers can't control that.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by Sisikill: 5:33pm On Oct 13, 2008
My title is not appropriate for YOU not for anyone who can read and understand. . . you know, logical!

I'm done with you now, keep fighting shadows.
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by lucabrasi(m): 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

It is not face me I face you rivalry because there are clear cut audience. Take yoruba movies for example, because of language barriers, the audience are 95% Yorubas because even if you subtitle a movie in english, many people including me still wants to understand the primary language because it'll enhance your understanding without reading and reading the closed caption. That being said clears the market. You'll rarely see a yoruba person asking to buy a kannywood movie unless those that understand the language. same as you who may not care about French movies that much because the primary language is French unless it's a very popular one or you are a movie addict. Living in bondage sold a lot because of popularity but will nnot achieve that much sales in todays Nigeria because there are better movies than that made with a general language. Nollywood ignored hausas before because of the barrier created by religion yet there are many northerners in the industry and they are growing large because they are very important if Nollywood stands a chance in breaking even in the north. Once again, one home fan is worth more than 20 in the Carribean,UK or US.

true on the language content,but i equally pointed out yoruba productions albeit tv series that have done well and continue to do well super story,this life,family time/life(not sure)
you talked about living in bondage,how r bout sango?wasnt that a yorubawood project and was shown overseas to critical acclaim?
Aloy.Emeka:

@bold, Igbo boys in Alaba and Iweka are not holding Nollywood to ransom. The mistake you are making is that most of them own those productions because they financed it their last card and will not relent until they recoup their capital before talking about profit. Hollywood productions are rarely financed by individiuals and the banks that finance them have an insured way of getting their capital back with the interest even if the movie is a failure.

i agree with you that they financed the movies and started the whole nollywood boom,but are you seriously inffering that they have not made more than enough on their investments?
moreover you talk about hollywood and not being financed by individuals,wasnt it financed by individuals when hollywood started?
there were reports that just like las vegas,the mob had money invested in hollywood these days yet that didint make them hold hollywood to ransom
ask and talk to people n the industry,both ibo and yoruba,i have been opportuned to talk with the girl ebube smthn and three other friends who are also known faces in the ibowood and i have spoken to jim iyke once before in london same as various yoruba movie artistes and one thing that they have all agreed on is that the marketers are killing the industry,try and talk to these guys and you ll get what i mean even the veteran directors are frustrated

the marketers who are mostly semi leterate electonics dealers dont care about the artistic angle and just deal with each production solely as a busness transaction,some of them cant even read and write properly talk less of correcting or writing scripts,they use their juinor bros and families to keep costs down and to make the minimal investment,they are happy to sell 50,000 copies in 1 or 2 weeks and recoup their investment and if you tell them diffrent they stop using you and push you out of the market,remember they operate as a cartel
Aloy.Emeka:

The actors and actresses collect their money upfront, they don't care whether the movie sells or not although they pray it sells because it'll enhance their career. you have pirates everywhere that are waiting to duplicate your work one week after release. So, if a marketer fails to make his money 1 week after the movie is released, he is in soup, i swear. There are many logistics to this movie business that you don't know until you get involved. The marketers may have their own drama but generally they are taking the risks and it has backfired on some of them making it difficult for their children to go to school. why should the Yoruba movie producers approach them for help in marketing ? it's because Nigeria has a very very complex market structure which may bring out the little thug in you for you to make it.

dude,im telling you that you need to research and find out how things work in alaba,first of the genevieves,jim iykes and co you see acting ony collect 50 maybe 60% upfront pls go n confirm,secondly piracy is the reason these marketers dont spend more than 1 million on a production AT THE MOST they always recoup their investment the firs 1 week or 2 that is why they are not overly concerned about piracy like theartiste's body are,where do the pirates sell their wares if not alaba,iweka e.t.c most of them have shops spread across alaba,iweka,lagos island and also sell in bulk so they have already secured orders and sell in bulk the monday the movie is released,
as for the artistes taking their money upfront,they have to because they are being paid stipends at the end of the day,while an average d bang or psquare gets paid millions by marketers because they dont need marketers as much,genevieve will not get more than 250 to 500 thousand per movie 60% upfront so wouldnt you advice them to collect the chicken feed they r paid up front??

their is piracy everywhere in the world and the only way to takle it or at least minimise it to the barest minimum is adequate and a wide enough distribution network like i stated in my previous post,hollywood is not a multi million dollars industry only because of the funds inected in but because of uncompromising professionalism and distribution, if a movie is released on dvd today hollywood will push out 10 milion copies for every 10,000 pirated copy so pls tell me why the marketers are not encouraging that it is because in the long term the market will be open to investments from banks,private individuals e.t.c taking controll from them which they dont want to happen
Re: Nollywood - Enough Already! Stop Embarrassing Us by lucabrasi(m): 7:14pm On Oct 13, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Is this not what I call pessimism? Why not give kannywood, abawood or yorubawood that $1m dollar and test their ability to make a quality production instead of faulting their actions befre hand. And I repeat, Nigeria is a free market. We are accusing this wood and that wood which are not human beings per say. Anybody can make movies in Nigeria as long as it passes the censorship board . Why can't we rise, say no to these BS movies, put our logistics together and come up with something superb? Consumers are like ashawo, they switch to something better the moment they see it and marketers can't control that.
well,you call it pessimism and i call it being realistic,like its been repeated several times on here nollywood in emcompassing yorubawood,and ibowood,and kanywood so as far as i m concerned they will misuse any amount of money you give them
look,script writing is the first step,interpreting the script to bring out the soul of your movie, some hollywood scripts are written for months/years adjusting e.t.c before even thinking of finances,its like making the mould for a sculpture,if the mould is crap then no amount of firing or painting will make it good,tell me is that requiring millions of naira??
if you agree as anyone will that obviously it doesnt require money,why then have nollywood consistently comeout with rubbish scripts??money isnt an excuse
the problem here is that they are not allowing the real script writers to do their job thinking anyone can read and write english language/stories, how many of the so called directors have been to a school of cinematography much less studied it in university?that is the start of the problem
look at the 2 directors that was invited from nigeria to give a speech in uk by some western film outfit tunde kelani and the big bespectacled ibo lady(forgotten her name)how come they r both saying the same thing about nollywood?

look at the likes of p square,d banj and co, their videos are shot by almost the same set of directors i.e dt tee,clarence peters and co go check out these guy's cv and you ll discover they all schooled abroadand went to a proper,recognised cinematography school,they have refused to get involved in nollywood because of the politics e.t.c compare "do me " video with a nollywood movie,check out sasha's "adara" naeto c's "kini big deal" i can go on and on

i dont know about others bu i am making moves in that direction of putting my money where my mouth is but im taking my time because ill rather take my time and do my homework and come out with something diffrent,something awesome than moving with the flow, try and see a movie "thunderbolt" and you ll get an idea of what im sayn its yoruba cast but english speaking,you can check it on you tube and watch maybe 10/20 mins though they can still do better as well

(1) (2) (Reply)

Davido E Too Sure Ft Peruzzi (official Music Video) / Short Film Script: Best Night Ever / Some of the Best Movies I Saw in 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.