Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,731 members, 7,905,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 04:26 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (685755 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Rogsam001: 5:19am On Sep 23, 2014
Hello Visa officer my Immigrant visa got temp refusal in 2012 from USA embassy n in 2014 i got my case reaffirmed from USCIS n they sent it to NVC n on sept/17/2014 i've been told by NVC that case has been sent to local USA embassy. N i was checking on Department of states site there they saying case has been sent back to NVC on sept/22/2014 so whats that means is it something going wrong or do i'm gonna get another interview if u can help me please i would b really greatfull.
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by metalgunner87: 6:57am On Sep 23, 2014
Hello Visa Officer, thank you for taking the time.

I submitted a I-129f for a fiancé visa in July 2014 and i am quite confident that i sent more than enough evidence to prove that my relationship with my fiancé is real. my only concern is that i was only able to met her in person for a little over 2 weeks and she is Russian, and i met her 5 months prior to submitting the Petition. Do we run the risk of getting denied for not having enough time spent in person? Granted, i provided pictures of meeting her and traveling to see her, pictures of meeting her parents and the apartment we rented. In addition, i provided evidence of passport stamp of entry and exit in russia and evidence of bank statement of spending money in Russia. A copy of the boarding passes and over 20 letters of correspondence via Text message and screen shot of Facetime video calls. I even sent contract of the wedding location and Save The Date with our picture on it stating the date of the wedding. Catering Quotes for pricing and other wedding arrangements.

So, my only concern is the small time i had to meet her in person but we maintain a detailed record of constant communication. Do you know if a consular officer in Russia, might find out time together enough although i have provided an abundance of information of a very serious relationship. Of course, after i submitted the petition i traveled to her again in August (at which time i proposed to her) and will do once again in December. that will have been two more times that i visited her after submitting the petition in July. In your opinion do i have anything to worry about?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Sep 23, 2014
aaa33:
Hello VisaOfficer I need an advice/views about what am about to post here. I applied for American student visa in 2002. Before then I had attend and written a SAT exams in Lagos. Its a company that we paid to then to write the exams . On the day of my interview in Abuja. I was asked every document which I presented until the lady asked me if I wrote SAT I said yes. She demanded for it and I presented it to her. After a close look at it she flared up that its fake and showed a colleague of hers and he confirmed its fake. She said she ain't gonna allow me enter her country and stamped my passport after inputting some stuff to her computer. Its been years since that happened. I already finished my bsc here in Nigeria and my Msc is in view presently. I have a paid employment and am relatively doing well. The issue now is was I banned? If I go to apply for a visa again will the last incidence crop up? I lost the last passport to fire and intend to go do anothe. Pls what's your candid take on this. Kind regards.

This is a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 23, 2014
Rogsam001: Hello Visa officer my Immigrant visa got temp refusal in 2012 from USA embassy n in 2014 i got my case reaffirmed from USCIS n they sent it to NVC n on sept/17/2014 i've been told by NVC that case has been sent to local USA embassy. N i was checking on Department of states site there they saying case has been sent back to NVC on sept/22/2014 so whats that means is it something going wrong or do i'm gonna get another interview if u can help me please i would b really greatfull.
Thanks.

I would need to have more information to look into this. Please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov and ask for a case update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Sep 23, 2014
metalgunner87: Hello Visa Officer, thank you for taking the time.

I submitted a I-129f for a fiancé visa in July 2014 and i am quite confident that i sent more than enough evidence to prove that my relationship with my fiancé is real. my only concern is that i was only able to met her in person for a little over 2 weeks and she is Russian, and i met her 5 months prior to submitting the Petition. Do we run the risk of getting denied for not having enough time spent in person? Granted, i provided pictures of meeting her and traveling to see her, pictures of meeting her parents and the apartment we rented. In addition, i provided evidence of passport stamp of entry and exit in russia and evidence of bank statement of spending money in Russia. A copy of the boarding passes and over 20 letters of correspondence via Text message and screen shot of Facetime video calls. I even sent contract of the wedding location and Save The Date with our picture on it stating the date of the wedding. Catering Quotes for pricing and other wedding arrangements.

So, my only concern is the small time i had to meet her in person but we maintain a detailed record of constant communication. Do you know if a consular officer in Russia, might find out time together enough although i have provided an abundance of information of a very serious relationship. Of course, after i submitted the petition i traveled to her again in August (at which time i proposed to her) and will do once again in December. that will have been two more times that i visited her after submitting the petition in July. In your opinion do i have anything to worry about?

Thanks

Well, it's impossible to hazard a guess without actually having the case right here in front of me. To be honest, though, when I started reading your message, I was suspicious at first because you said you had only spent around two weeks together. Then when I saw that you had visited her again and plan to see her a third time in December, I started feeling better about the case. My guess is it will depend on how credibly your fiancee presents herself at the interview. Again, this is based just on what you've written here -- there are probably many other factors that I'm not aware of. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 8:33am On Sep 23, 2014
Good morning VO. Please my k1 petition has been sent by NVC since the 15th of this month. Lgs2014758053. What is the next step? Do I go ahead and pay the visa fee and fix an appointment online? What's the current fees? Initially 240 but now I'm seeing 265. What's the current rate of exchange? What documents does my fiance have to send to me? I just want to do this right with no rookie mistakes. He seems to know even less about immigration than I do. The last time he came, he had booked a flight and almost gotten inside the airplane, till he was told he needs a visa to come to Nigeria. Lol. I was clueless too
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:02am On Sep 23, 2014
islet: Good morning VO. Please my k1 petition has been sent by NVC since the 15th of this month. Lgs2014758053. What is the next step? Do I go ahead and pay the visa fee and fix an appointment online? What's the current fees? Initially 240 but now I'm seeing 265. What's the current rate of exchange? What documents does my fiance have to send to me? I just want to do this right with no rookie mistakes. He seems to know even less about immigration than I do. The last time he came, he had booked a flight and almost gotten inside the airplane, till he was told he needs a visa to come to Nigeria. Lol. I was clueless too

Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so we can send you our instruction packet for K visa scheduling and interviews. You can also find this packet at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html. Yes, the K visa fee is increasing from $240 to $265, and the current exchange rate is 170 N to the dollar.

Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:17am On Sep 23, 2014
Changes to Consular Fees

Hi all -- There have been some worldwide changes to some of our Consular fees. You can see the updated Schedule of Fees on our website at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/fees.html. The major changes are as follows:

Application fee (also known as MRV fee) for:
-- E NIVs $270 to $205
-- K NIVs $240 to $265
-- BCC under age 15 $15 to $16

Processing fee for:
-- Immediate Relative/Family-based IVs $230 to $325
-- Employment-based IVs $405 to $345
-- Other IVs (I-360 and special IVs) $220 to $205
-- Affidavit of Support (at the National Visa Center) $88 to $120
-- Determining returning resident status $275 to $180

Fee for:
-- Consular Time $231 to $135
-- Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship $450 to $2,350
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Rogsam001: 9:19am On Sep 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:
I would need to have more information to look into this. Please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov and ask for a case update.

My CR1 visa got refusal under 212(a)(p)(5)(a) on 07/19/2012 in India n then it went back to uscis then after wait of 2 long years we've been contacted by uscis wid noir n we submitted more evidence after reviewing those evidence they revoke the us consulate decision n reaffirmed the case n sent to nvc on 07/11/2014 n from nvc my case forwarded to us embassy on 09/17/2014 n now online on department of states site showing my case has been sent back to nvc on 09/22/2014 so my concern is what going on n isn't it I suppose to get an interview.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:23am On Sep 23, 2014
Rogsam001:
My CR1 visa got refusal under 212(a)(p)(5)(a) on 07/19/2012 in India n then it went back to uscis then after wait of 2 long years we've been contacted by uscis wid noir n we submitted more evidence after reviewing those evidence they revoke the us consulate decision n reaffirmed the case n sent to nvc on 07/11/2014 n from nvc my case forwarded to us embassy on 09/17/2014 n now online on department of states site showing my case has been sent back to nvc on 09/22/2014 so my concern is what going on n isn't it I suppose to get an interview.
Thanks

You should contact the Embassy or Consulate that is handling your case in India and ask them about the status. There's nothing I can tell you from where I'm sitting. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 23, 2014
VisaOfficer: Changes to Consular Fees

Hi all -- There have been some worldwide changes to some of our Consular fees. You can see the updated Schedule of Fees on our website at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/fees.html. The major changes are as follows:

Application fee (also known as MRV fee) for:
-- E NIVs $270 to $205
-- K NIVs $240 to $265
-- BCC under age 15 $15 to $16

Processing fee for:
-- Immediate Relative/Family-based IVs $230 to $325
-- Employment-based IVs $405 to $345
-- Other IVs (I-360 and special IVs) $220 to $205
-- Affidavit of Support (at the National Visa Center) $88 to $120
-- Determining returning resident status $275 to $180

Fee for:
-- Consular Time $231 to $135
-- Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship $450 to $2,350
To renounce is this costly?

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DobraDobra: 10:03am On Sep 23, 2014
Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship $450 to $2,300 ?

Morning vo, the above from what u wrote made me laugh and wonder if any one really does that. The government too trying not to make it easy decided to skyrocket d fee. Have a nice day vo, always looking forward to read your solution to peoples worries. Cheers
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:24am On Sep 23, 2014
DobraDobra: Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship $450 to $2,300 ?

Morning vo, the above from what u wrote made me laugh and wonder if any one really does that. The government too trying not to make it easy decided to skyrocket d fee. Have a nice day vo, always looking forward to read your solution to peoples worries. Cheers

I've processed a few citizenship renunciation cases now and then. People really do it. $2,350 should make them think about it verrrrrrrry carefully, I'd imagine.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 10:58am On Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for the response VO. I have sent a mail as requested.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Rogsam001: 1:03pm On Sep 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Thanks for ur reply VO n as u suggested I checked wid embassy n now they saying my case is in Administrative Process again it's been more then 3 years my case going through after reaffirmation embassy again put my case under AP is there gonna be any time frame for this AP.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:58pm On Sep 23, 2014
Rogsam001:
Thanks for ur reply VO n as u suggested I checked wid embassy n now they saying my case is in Administrative Process again it's been more then 3 years my case going through after reaffirmation embassy again put my case under AP is there gonna be any time frame for this AP.
Thanks

Sorry, I can't help you. I don't know why your case is under administrative processing or what India's policies are.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
I've been getting an unusual number of notifications lately that people here are trying to send me private messages.

Please don't send me private messages. I don't even read them.

Ask your question in public, or you can contact us at LagosIV@state.gov.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
Sir,we are the Nvc stage for CR1 visa with one visit but the relationship is bonafide.but the consulate insisting on more visits as we are moderate family,just doing a moderate graduate job and wife doesn't work.Tickets are expensive.Thank u Sir
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:06pm On Sep 23, 2014
joechima: Sir,we are the Nvc stage for CR1 visa with one visit but the relationship is bonafide.but the consulate insisting on more visits as we are moderate family,just doing a moderate graduate job and wife doesn't work.Tickets are expensive.Thank u Sir

Just to clarify, if the petition is still at the NVC stage, is the Consulate even involved yet? Do you have a case number at this point?

We wouldn't insist on additional visits, although we do look at the amount of time people have spent together as one factor among many. Sometimes (not often) we ask if the petitioner can come talk to us. But we don't insist; we know it's expensive.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 5:31pm On Sep 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Just to clarify, if the petition is still at the NVC stage, is the Consulate even involved yet? Do you have a case number at this point?

We wouldn't insist on additional visits, although we do look at the amount of time people have spent together as one factor among many. Sometimes (not often) we ask if the petitioner can come talk to us. But we don't insist; we know it's expensive.
Thank u Sir I do have a case number and I have filled. Out DS 261.just being curious Sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
joechima: Thank u Sir I do have a case number and I have filled. Out DS 261.just being curious Sir.

Excellent news. Keep us posted as to when you get an interview date - I'm curious myself to see what the waiting period is these days.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by joechima: 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Excellent news. Keep us posted as to when you get an interview date - I'm curious myself to see what the waiting period is these days.
I ll Sir
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hey visaofficer,

does a 17yr old need to be accompanied by a legal guarding/parent for an F-1 visa interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 10:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
I think I might have made a fatal mistake in scheduling my appointment online. I logged in to usatraveldocs.com and it kept telling me
Error:
Your request cannot be processed at this time. The site administrator has been alerted.

I kind of figured out that my email was still there from the last time i scheduled an appointment september last year. I clicked on the foggoten password link and was able to log in and schedule an appointment. The huge problem there is that, I didnt to go do the the DS- 160 from the last time. I just scheduled an appointment. The first was for a J1 visa and this is in the K category. Have i made a fatal error or the DS-160 would still be okay?

Or should I create a new DS-160. Cancel the appointment and reschedule with the fresh DS-160?

Also I wanted to ask if tax returns for a year would be fine. With all the other evidences in tact. Please I am really being totally truthful here. I dont want to anything to go wrong.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Sep 24, 2014
cryptography: Hey visaofficer,

does a 17yr old need to be accompanied by a legal guarding/parent for an F-1 visa interview?

I assume you mean for a student visa interview? If so, this is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:22am On Sep 24, 2014
islet: I think I might have made a fatal mistake in scheduling my appointment online. I logged in to usatraveldocs.com and it kept telling me
Error:
Your request cannot be processed at this time. The site administrator has been alerted.

I kind of figured out that my email was still there from the last time i scheduled an appointment september last year. I clicked on the foggoten password link and was able to log in and schedule an appointment. The huge problem there is that, I didnt have to go do the the DS- 160 from the last time. I just scheduled an appointment. The first was for a J1 visa and this is in the K category. Have i made a fatal error or the DS-160 would still be okay?

Also I wanted to ask if tax returns for a year would be fine. With all the other evidences in tact. Please I am really being totally truthful here. I dont want to anything to go wrong.

You should contact U.S. Travel Docs directly to ask for help with your DS-160. http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-main-contactus.asp

Also, please bring the most recent three years of tax documents. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 7:36am On Sep 24, 2014
Thank you for the response VO. About the tax returns, he doesnt have for 2013 and 2012. He had just told me a few days ago that he didnt file it and was going to have to. Apparently very unwise and negligent. Please what do i do now?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Sep 24, 2014
islet: Thank you for the response VO. About the tax returns, he doesnt have for 2013 and 2012. He had just told me a few days ago that he didnt file it and was going to have to. Apparently very unwise and negligent. Please what do i do now?

I would advise him to hurry up and file, so your case isn't stuck pending for very long.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 8:06am On Sep 24, 2014
Sorry he has 2013 but not 2012 and 2011. And e has the Others after that time. Cant we use that of 2013 first?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:11am On Sep 24, 2014
islet: Sorry he has 2013 but not 2012 and 2011. And e has the Others after that time. Cant we use that of 2013 first?

Well, technically, we can accept the most recent tax year by itself... but if it's questionable in any way, you may be asked for an affidavit of support from a joint sponsor.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 8:22am On Sep 24, 2014
It wont be questionable. He just made very bad decisions when he didnt file those two years. And I swear he will, even if i have to pay it myself. its time for something good happen to me.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 24, 2014
Great job here VO, we appreciate you and God bless you.

Please, i need your kind clarification below;

My sister in law(a US citizen) is intending to file Form I-130 on my wife behalf ASAP. My concern here now is that we only did a traditional wedding and blessed with two kids smiley, though a plan is in place for our Legal wedding but not so soon. In the mean time, is it possible for her to use marital name in part C1 of the form then use her birth name(maiden name) in part C7 of the same form? If yes, what are the implications of this at the moment and future? Your kind professional advise and suggestions will be well appreciated

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.