Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,180 members, 7,933,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 02:24 PM

HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court - Education (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court (59178 Views)

Can I Become A Lecturer With A 2.2 In First Degree With My MSC / First Degree And Masters Opportunity In The Usa- No Sat I, Sat Ii, Toefl Or Gre / Is Futy"s 2008/2009 Admission List into first degree programs out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by skymax: 11:11pm On Jul 07, 2014
donphilopus:

What's this guy spewing now?! When we were buying textbooks at the rate of #2,000/2,500 in my school and poly students were buying handouts #300/400, you're here telling us that there's no difference!
And you think this makes you better? was the book sold to you in heaven?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by skymax: 11:22pm On Jul 07, 2014
Mcbussy:

I did practicals too dude...trust me,practicals are easier than cramming 450 page textbooks and journals.
You crammed 450 pages?!!!! Dia ris God ooooo!!! Note: Cramming means you did not understand what you read that's why you forget it as soon as you drop your pen.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Yungmilio2(m): 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2014
RAO1: China is focusing on technical n technological skills..... ur so-called engineers( with unis degrees) are controlled / supervised by Chinese technical schools graduates.... I was @ shoprite, ring rd, Ibadan.... And numerous construction works like that.....
Unis r to carry out research works,ba?...
wot n wot r new academic research works av We heard about only this year (halfway )
#bullshit
you said Chinese..
precise how did you know the chines workers there went to a technical school...
next time argue with real evidence pls... and precise china has gone far ahead of us in technology
I also attended poly... but honestly you can't compare most poly to uni... the ones I can compare would only be Yabatech, Kadpoly and Auchii poly...the rest wash...I still respect bida small
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Gimmy(m): 12:14am On Jul 08, 2014
I can never forget the last time my friend Akpos, a 300level masscom student in 'LASU' packs his fellow dullard colleges to have a tutorial in my house while i was still in NDII then........LAGOS POLYTECHNIC FOR LIFE!!!
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Respect01(m): 3:00am On Jul 08, 2014
Sheenor: i read it too.........i hope they do something about it . HND cannot forever remain second to degree.....they have to be equal....yeah!.....they most be equal.
why?
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 5:51am On Jul 08, 2014
ITbomb: Forgive my ignorance but do we have Professors in Polytechnics?

YEAH!!!
Many (if not all) Universities in the UK offer HNDs. They have profs!
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 08, 2014
Respect01: why?

Because the courses offered in both universities and polytechnics have exact curricula.

So what's the basis for the discrimination?

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Mcbussy(m): 6:48am On Jul 08, 2014
skymax:
You crammed 450 pages?!!!! Dia ris God ooooo!!! Note: Cramming means you did not understand what you read that's why you forget it as soon as you drop your pen.

why would I cram 450 pages?...its just a speech to let u know how much ur expected to study and understand in d uni. its way more difficult than going into a lab and watching sum1 demonstrate sumthn (practical).

I did practicals too,its all about repeating sumthning that u have been showed before and using d regular formula that you already know to translate your results.

practicals are usually easy if you know what ur doing and why ur in school wink
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Localamos(m): 6:52am On Jul 08, 2014
It's about time the unjust discrimination of polytechnic education is addressed.

If better part of ICAN professionals are polytechnic graduates - and arguably all other professional bodies, I wonder why the dichotomy should persist!

While the university is supposed to carry out research work and meet challenges of future, polytechnic education is supposed to train individuals for technical competency to meet the challenges of today.

Meanwhile, what we have today is that polytechnic students complete the same coursework -and even research(project work)- as their university counterparts! So I wonder the basis for this disparagement!

I think polytechnics should award Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) and place their products on the same pedestal as the university graduates.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by isaajibola(m): 6:58am On Jul 08, 2014
Let's check this out:

To show the superiority of Bsc over HND

Polytechnic lecturers: HND or Bsc?
Polytechnic lecturers: If he/she has HND certificate, he won't get promotion in the so called polytechnic
Polytechnic lecturers: Even HND certificate only does not worth to be used for lecturing in higher institution.
Polytechnic lecturers: They will still go to Uni to get their PGD, MSC or Phd

Polytechnic Administration:
Rector: Prof or Dr
HOD: Msc and co

Practicals:
No practical in polytechnic, even university do more practical than poly. Most students nowadays acquire their practicals during IT and co.

I passed through polytechnic and graduated with upper credit in EE but now in UI.
Lecturing, practicals, research if far better than polytechnic.

Even if you want to feel that you're in school, its only Uni that you can feel that

ADVICE to ND/HND:

If you don't like the way things is, I will implore you to get that Bsc and the inferiority complex will not be there again.

Question: If they ask you where you want to your child to school, you will say university.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by RAO1(m): 7:37am On Jul 08, 2014
isaajibola: Let's check this out:

Polytechnic lecturers: If he/she has HND certificate, he won't get promotion in the so called polytechnic
Polytechnic lecturers: Even HND certificate only does not worth to be used for lecturing in higher institution.

Practicals:
No practical in polytechnic, even university do more practical than poly. Most students nowadays acquire their practicals during IT and co.

I passed through polytechnic and graduated with upper credit in EE but now in UI.

Even if you want to feel that you're in school, its only Uni that you can feel that

ADVICE to ND/HND:

If you don't like the way things is, I will implore you to get that Bsc and the inferiority complex will not be there again.

Question: If they ask you where you want to your child to school, you will say university.
That's bcus of the country We av found ourselves
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 08, 2014

Practicals:

ADVICE to ND/HND:

Bravo!!!

Isaajibola's comment is the bull sh*t of the month!

Your comment is riddled with atrocious blunders. Your grammar is terrible, your argument is prejudicial and you don't know that the Nigerian education system is totally faulty and archaic.

Sit down there and plan to send your children to your "glorified" Nigerian university, while the sensible ones plan a proper UK/US education for their children.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by obinoral1179(m): 8:56am On Jul 08, 2014
tenry:

Ok cool. I hav ND, HND(Iree poly) Bsc(Ilorin) Msc(Unilag)all in mass communication.Starting my Phd this year by God's grace.
good one bro.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by vizboy(m): 10:01am On Jul 08, 2014
possibilita: AM PROUD TO SEE A GREAT AUCHI POLITE,(am in polymer tech.)

Comp science (SES)
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by vizboy(m): 10:04am On Jul 08, 2014
kovak:

Bravo!!!

Isaajibola's comment is the bull sh*t of the month!

Your comment is riddled with atrocious blunders. Your grammar is terrible, your argument is prejudicial and you don't know that the Nigerian education system is totally faulty and archaic.

Sit down there and plan to send your children to your "glorified" Nigerian university, while the sensible ones plan a proper UK/US education for their children.

If every Nigeria was to send his/her ward to sch in UK/USA what then will happen to our schs
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by tosyne2much(m): 10:07am On Jul 08, 2014

Practicals:

ADVICE to ND/HND:

what is dis so called man sayin ? I'd categorically say there's no room in you for wisdom evn wit ur Bsc...... Even BSc's within nigeria are not
equivalent... A BSc in OSU isnt equal to a Bsc in OAU and vice versa so y belittling polytechnic education to mak a stance ?.... D syndrome of discrimination runs in the nation as a whole.. As a matter of fact, u wld also be discriminated by ur Bsc counterpart either by GP or discriminated amongst those who obtained their own Bsc frm a reputable private university in Nigeria or a foreign university so dnt think u ar exempted frm dis discrimination simply because u obtained a degree frm Unilorin

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by eddieo(m): 10:40am On Jul 08, 2014
Localamos: It's about time the unjust discrimination of polytechnic education is addressed.

If better part of ICAN professionals are polytechnic graduates - and arguably all other professional bodies, I wonder why the dichotomy should persist!

While the university is supposed to carry out research work and meet challenges of future, polytechnic education is supposed to train individuals for technical competency to meet the challenges of today.

Meanwhile, what we have today is that polytechnic students complete the same coursework -and even research(project work)- as their university counterparts! So I wonder the basis for this disparagement!

I think polytechnics should award Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) and place their products on the same pedestal as the university graduates.

If you say better part of ICAN professional are polytechnic graduates and arguably all other professional bodies, that's deceit. the truth is
;
LARGER NUMBER OF POLY GRADUATES ENROLL FOR PROFESSIONAL COURSES THAN THEIR UNIVERSITY COUNTERPARTS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO UPGRADE MAJORLY DUE TO INFERIORITY COMPLEX.
ARE THE BEST CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS FROM THE POLYTECHNICS?
ARE THE BEST ACCOUNTING FIRMS OWNED BY POLYTECHNIC GRADUATES? IF YES, THEN JUST NAME ONE ACCOUNTING FIRM IN THE COUNTRY OWNED BY POLYTECHNIC GRADUATES INCLUDING OTHER PROFESSIONAL BODIES.
It is correct when you say there is more pass rate of poly graduates in ICAN exams than university graduates because poly Graduates constitute a greater number of candidates that enrolled for such exams. You need to see how even PGD Exams are difficult for polytechnic graduates to pass in universities because the teachings and curriculum look new to them and no means of sorting lecturers available.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by eddieo(m): 10:44am On Jul 08, 2014

Practicals:

ADVICE to ND/HND:

HND Graduates in polytechnics are INSTRUCTORS not LECTURERS! They are forbidden to lecture until they have a minimum of BSc
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by mikedimeji(m): 11:14am On Jul 08, 2014
eddieo:
HND Graduates in polytechnics are INSTRUCTORS not LECTURERS! They are forbidden to lecture until they have a minimum of BSc

U can imagine. Even the people that trained them refused them from becoming lecturer Becos they know they aren't fit to become one. Have u ever seen an HND holder doing any reasonable thing in the university work force?
The truth is that the system has been bastardize otherwise diploma is diploma whether higher or ordinary and they have their place in the society I don't know why they want to equate themselves with people from university. Before u are awarded NCE cert u will have to spend 4-5 years Becos of teaching practice why didn't they start saying they want it to be equivalent with B.Ed
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Localamos(m): 12:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
eddieo:

If you say better part of ICAN professional are polytechnic graduates and arguably all other professional bodies, that's deceit. the truth is
;
LARGER NUMBER OF POLY GRADUATES ENROLL FOR PROFESSIONAL COURSES THAN THEIR UNIVERSITY COUNTERPARTS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO UPGRADE MAJORLY DUE TO INFERIORITY COMPLEX.
ARE THE BEST CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS FROM THE POLYTECHNICS?
ARE THE BEST ACCOUNTING FIRMS OWNED BY POLYTECHNIC GRADUATES? IF YES, THEN JUST NAME ONE ACCOUNTING FIRM IN THE COUNTRY OWNED BY POLYTECHNIC GRADUATES INCLUDING OTHER PROFESSIONAL BODIES.
It is correct when you say there is more pass rate of poly graduates in ICAN exams than university graduates because poly Graduates constitute a greater number of candidates that enrolled for such exams. You need to see how even PGD Exams are difficult for polytechnic graduates to pass in universities because the teachings and curriculum look new to them and no means of sorting lecturers available.

Nigerian curriculum has not been developed since God-knows-when. See, let's get off our high horse and come to terms that our Nigerian education system is faulty. Curriculum in both types of institutions is the same -and archaic.

As touching the proliferation of I CAN by the poly grads as an expression of their inferiority complex, honestly I don't know about that. What I know is that they have used their professional QUALIFICATION to prove that they completed the syllabus that is required for that level qualifications.

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
Why do Graduates of Universities complain more about not getting Jobs and HND graduates are getting employed. is it that the industry does not value Graduates as much as it does HND holders.. or is it that the Ministries are the standard to bench-mark Careers as Graduates and HND Holders..
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by mikedimeji(m): 12:28pm On Jul 08, 2014
voltron: Why do Graduates of Universities complain more about not getting Jobs and HND graduates are getting employed. is it that the industry does not value Graduates as much as it does HND holders.. or is it that the Ministries are the standard to bench-mark Careers as Graduates and HND Holders..

Ur post lack statistical back up, how many organizations do u know that takes HND as against Bsc, u failed to understand that they are two different qualification as far as some organizations are concerned and they have different job specification. There are times there will be vacancy for HND and there won't be any for Bsc is that what u are referring to? My dear just leave matter for Mathias. There are some organizations that I know of, they invites only Bsc 2.1 and above from federal university only, so don't be deceive and there's only one reason for this arguiment and that is inferiority complex among the HND holders Becos as far as am concern there's nothing like discrimination. HND and Bsc are not the same, HND has it place in the society likewise Bsc but Becos the country is in a state everybody is just doing as they like. Why didn't NCE say they are equivalent with B.Ed
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by kishimi8(m): 12:51pm On Jul 08, 2014
mikedimeji:

Ur post lack statistical back up, how many organizations do u know that takes HND as against Bsc, u failed to understand that they are two different qualification as far as some organizations are concerned and they have different job specification. There are times there will be vacancy for HND and there won't be any for Bsc is that what u are referring to? My dear just leave matter for Mathias. There are some organizations that I know of, they invites only Bsc 2.1 and above from federal university only, so don't be deceive and there's only one reason for this arguiment and that is inferiority complex among the HND holders Becos as far as am concern there's nothing like discrimination. HND and Bsc are not the same, HND has it place in the society likewise Bsc but Becos the country is in a state everybody is just doing as they like. Why didn't NCE say they are equivalent with B.Ed

What I believe to be the reason why HND holders get jobs is their readiness to accept under employment work conditions and also tendency to accept little income while being overworked .. However for any firm to employ a degree holder they will have to deal with someone wko has a deep sense of self worth ingrained in him, and he would hardly accept being overworked and salaries below minimum stipulated wages for the profession

2 Likes

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Sagamite(m): 1:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
akpur1: google best tertiary institution in nigeria

Is that what you were thought in poly?

You should back up your statement by saying google it?

Let me teach you a new way:

Google it and present it to me.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Sagamite(m): 1:28pm On Jul 08, 2014
Weselion: just keep on deluding yourself because a professor taught you, your professor knows everything ba, anu-mpoko like you

What your quackfessor taught you is to reason spending longer in school makes you more qualified?

Product of a failed education system. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by chuchutech(m): 1:35pm On Jul 08, 2014
ITbomb: Forgive my ignorance but do we have Professors in Polytechnics?
you just hit nail on the head!

1 Like

Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by eddieo(m): 2:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
Localamos:

Nigerian curriculum has not been developed since God-knows-when. See, let's get off our high horse and come to terms that our Nigerian education system is faulty. Curriculum in both types of institutions is the same -and archaic.

As touching the proliferation of I CAN by the poly grads as an expression of their inferiority complex, honestly I don't know about that. What I know is that they have used their professional QUALIFICATION to prove that they completed the syllabus that is required for that level qualifications.
Curriculum in both types of institutions is the same -Blatant lie
and archaic- that could be true but not all universities.
Most professional exams have study packs to guide candidates for examinations so this isnt a matter of syllabus being completed to pass. Passing depends on your in-depth understanding of the contents of those study packs. there are topics (as knowledge evolves everyday with the current trend of events.) that are not treated in higher institutions which you eventually come across in study packs of some professional bodies
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by mikedimeji(m): 2:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
kishimi8:

What I believe to be the reason why HND holders get jobs is their readiness to accept under employment work conditions and also tendency to accept little income while being overworked .. However for any firm to employ a degree holder they will have to deal with someone wko has a deep sense of self worth ingrained in him, and he would hardly accept being overworked and salaries below minimum stipulated wages for the profession

U have said it all.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by possibilita(m): 2:28pm On Jul 08, 2014
vizboy:

Comp science (SES)
NICE MEETING U,PLS DONT ARGUE WITH THOSE ILLITERATES WHO CLAIM TO HAVE BSC.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Oluschenco(m): 3:31pm On Jul 08, 2014
Sheenor: i read it too.........i hope they do something about it . HND cannot forever remain second to degree.....they have to be equal....yeah!.....they most be equal.

Thumps-up
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
Badmushazan: polytechnic school of average nigerian that value education while university school of prominent nigerian that want to oppress the poor whom manage to have polytechnic education. However going to university does not determined your ability/ success.........no wonder a computer science graduate of ABU zaria asking me if bank security door allow customer holding a pen to enter or not ?..... Ewa wo Aiye university graduate ni ode
I must say, in view of the deplorable state of your grammatical expression Ability;You are a Quintessence of the Deficiencies in Polytechnic Education.
Re: HND vs First Degree Battle Is Now In Court by RAO1(m): 4:06pm On Jul 08, 2014
Yungmilio2:
you said Chinese..
precise how did you know the chines workers there went to a technical school...
next time argue with real evidence pls... and precise china has gone far ahead of us in technology
I also attended poly... but honestly you can't compare most poly to uni... the ones I can compare would only be Yabatech, Kadpoly and Auchii poly...the rest wash...I still respect bida small

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Lagos Teacher Beats Student To Death For Not Answering Maths Question Correctly / Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers / Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.