Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,886 members, 7,879,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 04:23 AM

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (17660 Views)

African People With Blue Eyes...weird... O_o / Red-head African People / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by bukatyne(f): 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

He probably wants to display it only to his fellow FUlani people.

Ok

and to show everyone that he is Fulani undecided.

Who cares? If his username was not Fulaman198 or so, I would not have known it was Fulani there

His username is actually doing a better job

In retrospect, that is why Nigeria is where it is .

He is not a Nigerian but a Fulani man

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne: Who cares? If his username was not Fulaman198 or so, I would not have known it was Fulani there

His username is actually doing a better job

In retrospect, that is why Nigeria is where it is .

He is not a Nigerian but a Fulani man

abi do u wan manage his account now?

y u bringing ur personal problems here on this thread. kindly send him a mail and request his password.

Then u can change his name, signature or whatevr.

He is a Fulani man first and then a Nigerian. how hard is that to comprehend?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by bukatyne(f): 1:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

y u bringing ur personal problems here on this thread. kindly send him a mail and request his password.

Bros, abeg, hold your side fast

What is my business with him?

He was the one that started the issue of his signature in Fulani. What has brought problems into it now?

And are you an alternate moniker?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

He was the one that started the issue of his signature in Fulani. What has brought problems into it now?

yah ofcourse he will start cuz u guyz kip complaining about his signature.

No. This has been my only moniker since the date I joined.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by alienYOUTH(m): 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
I'm going to start by admonishing all parties to pls stick to addressing issues & not attacking the personalities involved. The mere fact u cannot get ur point across wit facts instead of derisive language is proof enough that u r immature & incapable of coherent & productive dialogue.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by alienYOUTH(m): 3:20pm On Jul 10, 2014
Irrespective of where you come from, it is where u r going to that matters; for of more importance is the end of a thing than the beginning.

I'm not going to mince words and i'll be very brief.

It is only a reprobate that sees light and decides to live in the dark. The reason why we are adults is to be able to judge for ourselves what is good and follow accordingly. Everyman will be held responsible for his actions and beliefs, and he will subsequently be judged by them; so i'm not going to force my beliefs down anyone's throat, I'm just stating the logic behind my beliefs, you state yours.

Not everything the "western world" has to offer is good & pure, but i dare say 90% of what we are today is because of the enlightenment they have brought back to Africa. The "White men" did not drop from space, we were all created the same time; but they chose to leave culture and tradition behind and seek knowledge.

Africa is the birthplace of the human race, this has been proven scientifically. if you look at the map of the world, you will see that the further away from Africa a country is, the more advanced they appear to be; this is because some select few decided to leave the comfort of tradition behind and seek enlightenment.

I dare say, my "African" tradition has little to offer me besides laziness and darkness; I will be glad if someone can enlighten me otherwise. If the "white people" refused to come back to Africa to enlighten us, we will still be sitting on our myopic, though content, prehistoric butts.

The people who refuse to be negatively "westernized" (China, Russia, etc) have cultures and traditions that work and it is obvious they are progressing, i will definitely be singing a different tune if my African tradition could boast of the same. So in the absence of that, i would gladly shove my dark culture down the drain and embrace that which gives me light and a better life, after all, culture was made by/for man and not vice versa.

Anything in life that plans to remain relevant has to evolve and adapt; be it a business, culture, or even human beings themselves. So if the hypocritical few on this forum decide they want to set their traditions and culture in stone, then only time will tell, because even stone will succumb to erosion with time.

4 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by tpia5: 3:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
I'm still not convinced the op is nigerian though.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by tpia5: 3:55pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198: My entire topic could not fit in the subject.

My question to the Nairaland populace is whether as individuals you even care about your very own culture, tradition, language and heritage anymore? If not, where does your inferiority complex stem from? What has transformed you into a person with no identity? Thanks!

This is so insulting.

How do you have so much hatred towards strangers you are never going to meet?

Same stuff racists are made of.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:21pm On Jul 10, 2014
tpia5:

This is so insulting.

How do you have so much hatred towards strangers you are never going to meet?

Same stuff racists are made of.

I don't see anything racist or insulting in those lines of text. The only people who find it that way are sellouts.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

I'm actually a Nigerian first then Fulani next. I'm for one Nigeria. I just don't like to see ancient cultures dissipate into nothingness.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by tpia5: 4:25pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

I don't see anything racist or insulting in those lines of text. The only people who find it that way are sellouts.

Well, I'm telling you now, your comments are very racist and insulting, and you should apologize.

Your not seeing it doesnt make it ok.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

He is not my alternate moniker, he is a Hausa guy. I don't use alternate monikers you can ask Oga Seun about that
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:27pm On Jul 10, 2014
tpia5:

Well, I'm telling you now, your comments are very racist and insulting, and you should apologize.

Your not seeing it doesnt make it ok.

You might want to refer to the dictionary about what racism is, thanks. If you are offended, maybe this isn't the thread for you. Cultural awareness has absolutely nothing to do with racism.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2014
DarryOsh:

Lol. I thought I was the only one that sneered at that statement.

All this culture issue sef ehn e get as e be o. What you guys should realise is that there are over fifty countries in Africa , thousands of languages and distinct cultures (although we could argue thatI there are some similarities)

And the so called oyibos that we jumble up together and regard as Western culture, they once had distinct cultural practices. But with continued interaction over long periods they absorbed from one another and became really similar.

I am pan African. I love Nigeria. I speak my native language very very well. I speak English very very well. However I read and write English much better than my native language.

English is our lingua franca. That is the major thing that has led to us absorbing the so called western culture. Once a language becomes dominant in a place the battle for cultural supremacy is half won. The dominant language you speak determines the books you read, the movies you watch, the online sites you visit etc. We all know that the info we consume affects how we see things. So over time the things we read about (practices, dressing, etc) look to us as the 'normal and acceptable'.

We can certainly take steps to preserve aspects of our culture but I don't think we can go back to to pre-colonial cultural Africa.

A lot of cultures have had to deal with this. A lot of people don't even know that there are local languages in places like Ireland till this day .

I'm in accordance with what you say. Gaelic was once the main language in Ireland but that's besides the point. Herein lies the problem.

Most Africans know more about European and Western history than they do about African history. Most Africans care more about European things than African things. It seems that the true dominant world culture is European culture. Everyone talks about it. You don't see people discussing African culture to the same level at all. That's why there needs to be steps to culturally preserve ancient customs and to be very culturally aware.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 4:56pm On Jul 10, 2014
broadminded: In a world where bio-tech engineers redefine life's boundaries and fashion designers dictate dress code, civilization and most importantly social media influence have all helped most of us flush our very own culture, tradition, language and heritage down the wrong tunnel.
This is why its important to stick with your culture and evolve it. I honestly think it might be 21st century perception that people in the previous centuries remind the same, we really need our own fashion designers for, instance, to evolve traditional clothes in the name of art. I'm pretty sure Fulanis in the 10th century did not dress the same as they did in the 15th century, so why should culture today be defined by technological levels, fashion of a specific time period, etc. I strongly discourage copying frivolous western ideals and I believe a societal time travel back to the 19th century is the only way to liberate the issues of today, but I doubt our forefathers were very much concerned with tradition as we are. Why then did they adopt firearms for their kingdom military? Isn't that betraying culture just as some people believe using computer/phone is betraying culture.
Or are these just tools.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2014
angela98: Yes they do depending on family background. Particularly the older generation. But the younger generation are becoming more westernized, liberated and they are now having their own voice.they are also more exposed and wiser because the world have changed and now very open. The birth of technology changed a lot of conception. cool
yes, they are indeed wiser. This "liberation" is why they fail miserably at build a functioning, working country like their "uneducated" forefathers did without breaking a sweat. Yes, westernization is truly an improvement. grin

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
DarryOsh:

Lol. I thought I was the only one that sneered at that statement.

All this culture issue sef ehn e get as e be o. What you guys should realise is that there are over fifty countries in Africa , thousands of languages and distinct cultures (although we could argue thatI there are some similarities)

And the so called oyibos that we jumble up together and regard as Western culture, they once had distinct cultural practices. But with continued interaction over long periods they absorbed from one another and became really similar.

I am pan African. I love Nigeria. I speak my native language very very well. I speak English very very well. However I read and write English much better than my native language.

English is our lingua franca. That is the major thing that has led to us absorbing the so called western culture. Once a language becomes dominant in a place the battle for cultural supremacy is half won. The dominant language you speak determines the books you read, the movies you watch, the online sites you visit etc. We all know that the info we consume affects how we see things. So over time the things we read about (practices, dressing, etc) look to us as the 'normal and acceptable'.

We can certainly take steps to preserve aspects of our culture but I don't think we can go back to to pre-colonial cultural Africa.

A lot of cultures have had to deal with this. A lot of people don't even know that there are local languages in places like Ireland till this day .
maybe not precisly, but we can reinstate certain customs, laws, beliefs that existed during these times. Who knows, maybe we can turn back the political/social clock like what happened to NL after the attack.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by tpia5: 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

You might want to refer to the dictionary about what racism is, thanks. If you are offended, maybe this isn't the thread for you. Cultural awareness has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

Fulaman198:

My question to the Nairaland populace

you set out to offend, and you're now trying to backtrack.

thats not going to work, you need to apologize.

next time, direct your question to pagan and cameroonpride, mention their names in the original post and thread title.

no be three musketeers una be?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by DarryOsh(m): 5:21pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

I'm in accordance with what you say. Gaelic was once the main language in Ireland but that's besides the point. Herein lies the problem.

Most Africans know more about European and Western history than they do about African history. Most Africans care more about European things than African things. It seems that the true dominant world culture is European culture. Everyone talks about it. You don't see people discussing African culture to the same level at all. That's why there needs to be steps to culturally preserve ancient customs and to be very culturally aware.

I get you. I was actually appalled when last year, on a thread on nairaland, I learned that the government had decided to scrap history as a subject in schools. Before then I always felt history was not prominent enough in our curriculum. I learned the real stuff of the Nigerian civil war from Chimamanda ' s half of a yellow sun. Before then my erroneous belief about d war was as follows:

'the easterners decided to secede because oil was discovered in their region. They were greedy. There was a war, a few died. '

I was so ignorant, I was embarrassed to learn about my ignorance . That was when I started to wonder why all the schools I attended never offered history. I think history should b Compulsory in primary and secondary schools.

Recently I read about the Oyo empire when someone created an elaborate thread about it. It was a shock to learn that I come from such a great place with great history. Of course I knew a lot about the British, Greek, Egyptian and Roman empires but very little about my own Oyo. It is such a shame . We need to teach history as a compulsory subject.

We need to the proactive steps. Our museums are practically dead.

And another problem seems to be that we hardly 'export' our art to d world. If not for movies who would know that in India it is women who pay dowry. But I think it's easier for them sha because they retained their language as lingua franca unlike us.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by DarryOsh(m): 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

It's statements like this make Nigerians elect obvious inept and incompetent members of their tribe knowing fully well that his/her opponent at the polls is more capable.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fulanigirl(f): 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

Fulaman I'm with tpia5 on this . They are very insulting and borderline bullying. There is a difference between cultural awareness and judging people on your own pillars

And Pagan9ja referring to me as a half caste, I mean seriously? Do you not realise how offensive that is? So my parents should not get together simply because of tribe and nothing good cane out of that union? I am definitely not confused but I feel blessed to be from two different tribes.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
fulanigirl:

And Pagan9ja referring to me as a half caste, I mean seriously? Do you not realise how offensive that is? So my parents should not get together simply because of tribe and nothing good cane out of that union? I am definitely not confused but I feel blessed to be from two different tribes.

then what am I supposed to call you?

That was the least offensive word I could come up with to describe your situation.

As to your parents, I know their situation. Your dad is one of the city Hausaized Fulani. he is unintentionally ignorant of such things. infact such people hardly care for tribe. The marry on the basis of religion. (islam)

To be honest, there is nothing to feel blessed about being from 2 different tribes. It is not a "collect them all" game.

And btw Im sure your family is out of touch and has no idea of Fulani culture so I dont know what you are talking about.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by GooseBaba: 6:27pm On Jul 10, 2014
alienYOUTH: Irrespective of where you come from, it is where u r going to that matters; for of more importance is the end of a thing than the beginning.

I'm not going to mince words and i'll be very brief.

It is only a reprobate that sees light and decides to live in the dark. The reason why we are adults is to be able to judge for ourselves what is good and follow accordingly. Everyman will be held responsible for his actions and beliefs, and he will subsequently be judged by them; so i'm not going to force my beliefs down anyone's throat, I'm just stating the logic behind my beliefs, you state yours.

Not everything the "western world" has to offer is good & pure, but i dare say 90% of what we are today is because of the enlightenment they have brought back to Africa. The "White men" did not drop from space, we were all created the same time; but they chose to leave culture and tradition behind and seek knowledge.

Africa is the birthplace of the human race, this has been proven scientifically. if you look at the map of the world, you will see that the further away from Africa a country is, the more advanced they appear to be; this is because some select few decided to leave the comfort of tradition behind and seek enlightenment.

I dare say, my "African" tradition has little to offer me besides laziness and darkness; I will be glad if someone can enlighten me otherwise. If the "white people" refused to come back to Africa to enlighten us, we will still be sitting on our myopic, though content, prehistoric butts.

The people who refuse to be negatively "westernized" (China, Russia, etc) have cultures and traditions that work and it is obvious they are progressing, i will definitely be singing a different tune if my African tradition could boast of the same. So in the absence of that, i would gladly shove my dark culture down the drain and embrace that which gives me light and a better life, after all, culture was made by/for man and not vice versa.

Anything in life that plans to remain relevant has to evolve and adapt; be it a business, culture, or even human beings themselves. So if the hypocritical few on this forum decide they want to set their traditions and culture in stone, then only time will tell, because even stone will succumb to erosion with time.

EPIC FAIL..!!

One of the main reasons why history must be taught in schools.you embrace the belief that YOUR ancestors gained enlightenment from colonialist. Tufiakwa'!! And you call that liberating.. undecidedSmh...

No wonder you don't see the folly in comparing pre colonial Africa with present day Africa..in other words, nothing like creativity or innovation existed in Africa before your masters arrived..

Tomorrow when white man spews sure garbage, the likes of you will scream racism.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by DarryOsh(m): 6:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
maybe not precisly, but we can reinstate certain customs, laws, beliefs that existed during these times. Who knows, maybe we can turn back the political/social clock like what happened to NL after the attack.

Could you maybe enumerate some of the customs, laws and beliefs that we should go back to?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
DarryOsh:

I get you. I was actually appalled when last year, on a thread on nairaland, I learned that the government had decided to scrap history as a subject in schools. Before then I always felt history was not prominent enough in our curriculum. I learned the real stuff of the Nigerian civil war from Chimamanda ' s half of a yellow sun. Before then my erroneous belief about d war was as follows:

'the easterners decided to secede because oil was discovered in their region. They were greedy. There was a war, a few died. '

I was so ignorant, I was embarrassed to learn about my ignorance . That was when I started to wonder why all the schools I attended never offered history. I think history should b Compulsory in primary and secondary schools.

Recently I read about the Oyo empire when someone created an elaborate thread about it. It was a shock to learn that I come from such a great place with great history. Of course I knew a lot about the British, Greek, Egyptian and Roman empires but very little about my own Oyo. It is such a shame . We need to teach history as a compulsory subject.

And another problem seems to be that we hardly 'export' our art to d world. If not for movies who would know that in India it is women who pay dowry. But I think it's easier for them sha because they retained their language as lingua franca unlike us.

Thank you for this, so you understand what I'm saying.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
tpia5:

you set out to offend, and you're now trying to backtrack.

thats not going to work, you need to apologize.

next time, direct your question to pagan and cameroonpride, mention their names in the original post and thread title.

no be three musketeers una be?

Wonderful sense of humour @ the bolded.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
This is why its important to stick with your culture and evolve it. I honestly think it might be 21st century perception that people in the previous centuries remind the same, we really need our own fashion designers for, instance, to evolve traditional clothes in the name of art. I'm pretty sure Fulanis in the 10th century did not dress the same as they did in the 15th century, so why should culture today be defined by technological levels, fashion of a specific time period, etc. I strongly discourage copying frivolous western ideals and I believe a societal time travel back to the 19th century is the only way to liberate the issues of today, but I doubt our forefathers were very much concerned with tradition as we are. Why then did they adopt firearms for their kingdom military? Isn't that betraying culture just as some people believe using computer/phone is betraying culture.
Or are these just tools.

Thank you once again my brother for seeing the light

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
fulanigirl:

Fulaman I'm with tpia5 on this . They are very insulting and borderline bullying. There is a difference between cultural awareness and judging people on your own pillars

My darling lady, I'm sorry but I don't see how what I am saying is the least bit bullying. How? You speak Hausa, therefore you speak an African language this thread isn't about people like you. It's about those who want to be completely Westernised and throw their cultures to the curb. Perhaps you misinterpreted what I wrote.

Pagan9ja calling you half-caste is not appropriate I will give you that and I hope that as a gentleman he will apologise. I apologise on his behalf, he is a nice person though regardless. He just wants Africans to be proud of who they are instead of constantly copycatting and having low self-esteem and inferiority complex to white people and westerners. White people actually don't respect us if we kiss their behinds, they respect us more if we know who we are.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman

You have not answered my q

And as I said you should have set yourself as a facilitator rather than a judge and executioner on this issue
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
DarryOsh:

Most of the reason why museums are empty is because from my understanding, the British and French stole a lot of artwork from the Benin, Oyo, etc. empires to add to their museum. Even if Africans protest now, it won't be given back to them. But Africans are to blame because of the natural passive behaviour. There were no apologies for even stealing those beautiful artworks from us.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2014
pickabeau1: Fulaman

You have not answered my q

And as I said you should have set yourself as a facilitator rather than a judge and executioner on this issue

Oga, I still dey come, give me one moment I will answer your question grin
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 6:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

Oga, I still dey come, give me one moment I will answer your question grin

I will be standing by for your response

This topic has great potential for us to discuss and learn and it also has a potential to generate ire

So you need to display good communication skills...patience..listening...

Welldone Sir

Remember culture has more dimensions than cuisine, language and couture.

Also african culture is not monolithic

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) / Northern Nigerian Women show off their Cultural Dance Moves. Nigerians reacts / Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika And Oshimilli Are All Igbo's. Please Know Your Origin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.