Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,855 members, 7,899,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 04:18 AM

Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? (11335 Views)

100 Million Budget: How The Very Rich Stage Fabulous Weddings / 12 Most Expensive Weddings In History / Exotic Bead Designs For Traditional Weddings & All Occassions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by kellorah: 7:54pm On Jul 21, 2006
leave us alone!whatever we wanna wear,we're gonna!
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by diddy4(m): 9:23pm On Jul 21, 2006
my wifey is wearing white. virgin or not. the world don change so dont see any reason why only virgins shoud wear white.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by iice(f): 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2006
Correct!
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Oracle(m): 10:53pm On Jul 21, 2006
kellorah:

leave us alone!whatever we want to wear,we're going to!
are you one of them? lipsrsealed
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by crito(m): 6:03am On Jul 22, 2006
to be fair enuf i think all girls,babes and chicks deserve white weddings.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by nkemkelly(m): 7:13pm On Jul 22, 2006
we all know that it aint right to go to the altar knowing that we are not virgins,to me its sacreliage. but you know babes and their kinda way,they liar too much.and its true Mrlawng we have goten to know the virgins in this forum through the contributions so far.
Amobi 1:

please, yea , right will every lady tell u how many people they slept with. Anywayz it doesn't matter anywayz.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by spikedcylinder: 10:34pm On Jul 22, 2006
Excellent post gigitte,excellent post!
nkemkelly

link=topic=18328.msg512298#msg512298 date=1153592008:

we all know that it aint right to go to the altar knowing that we are not virgins,to me its sacreliage. but you know babes and their kind of way,they liar too much.and its true Mrlawng we have goten to know the virgins in this forum through the contributions so far.

You what are you saying sef?Non-virgins shouldnt get married?You don colo!

Do you realise that all these wedding traditions are very old european things that has been passed from generation to generation and things have indeed changed?

Check this out :

Nearly every widely practiced wedding custom is seated in old tradition or superstition. These can be interesting or amusing reading for any couple with a wedding on the horizon and could possibly help you with your choice in what rituals you will include in your special day. Consider sharing these bits of wedding tradition trivia with the people who are taking part in your ceremony at a rehearsal lunch or dinner!

The white wedding dress--Not only does white symbolize purity and virginity, but it was also thought to ward off evil spirits.
The wedding veil—It is speculated that the tradition of wearing a veil came from one of two possibilities: it is a throw-back to the time when the groom would throw a blanket over the head of the woman of his choice when her captured her and carted her off, or when marriages were arranged, the bride’s face would be covered until the ceremony was complete, so it would be too late for the groom to run off if he didn’t like the look of his bride.

The term “bride”—The word itself is old English, and was a name for ‘cook.’

Bridesmaids and groomsmen—The tradition of having both bridesmaids and ushers present during a ceremony derives from the Roman law that mandated there be ten witnesses present at the ceremony for the purpose of fooling the evil spirits who were believed to cause mischief. The bridesmaids and groomsmen would be dressed in clothing matching identical to the bride and groom, thus keeping the evil spirits from figuring out who was actually getting married.

Bridal shower—When a father did not approve of his daughter’s marriage, some of the local townspeople would come together and give the bride an assortment of household items to be used as a dowry.

Flowers—The presence of flowers in the wedding ceremony symbolizes fertility, new life and never ending love.

Tossing the bouquet—In England it was believed that the bride could pass along her good fortune to others.

Attendants and spectators to the weddings would try to tear away pieces of the bride's clothing and flowers in hopes of gaining some of this fortune. Often times the bride would toss her bouquet into the crowd to distract them in her attempt to get away. Thus it became commonplace for the bride to toss the bouquet and it was believed that the woman who caught it would be the next to be blessed with marriage.

The kiss—In Roman times a kiss was seen as a legal bond that sealed all contracts, and has become a staple ending to a wedding ceremony.

White aisle runner—This is supposed to symbolize God’s holiness and walking on holy ground. It is believed that by having this runner present in the place of marriage, God will be actively involved in the ceremony.

The “ring finger”—The Greeks believed that the third finger was connected to the heart by the “vein of love.” Thus this finger became the place for the ring in Western weddings.

The brides placement to the left— When a bridegroom secured his bride and prepared to marry her, she was placed to his left in order to protect her, leaving his right hand free for swordplay if need be.

The honeymoon— Originally, when the groom “kidnapped” his bride he would take her into hiding. Usually, by the time the bride’s family found her, she would already be pregnant and a price for her would then be negotiated.

The term “tying the knot”—This dates back to Roman times when the bride would wear a girdle that had been tied in many knots which the groom would have to untie.

Throwing rice—Rice was a symbol of fertility and a wish for a “full pantry.” Bubbles, confetti or flower petals have since been replaced rice because of its danger to birds that eat it.

Carrying the bride over the threshold—It was tradition for the bride to enter the house through the front door before the groom, and if she tripped or stumbled it was seen to be very bad luck, hence it became a duty for the groom to carry his new bride over the threshold.

Anyone who has gotten married or even been to a wedding at one time or another has seen a variety of rituals practiced. Many of these traditions have become so commonplace that we don’t even question their presence in the wedding or wonder where they came from or why they began in the first place. Now you have a better idea of where these ideas and traditions came from!
(courtesy-http://mimi.essortment.com/originswedding_rrnp.htm)

Now tell me,how many of those traditions are realistic?
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by iice(f): 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2006
Tell them jare oh!, and what's this u knw the virgins in this place frm their posts!, u even knw the pesin, she fit dey form or lie or even una guys fit dey form and lie 2 make una look betta dan una really be, abeg jare use that thing wey dey occupy ya cranium n think correct, jeez, nehow i dey out of this thread,
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by desiree(f): 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2006
I think wear whatever you want. Cream and ivory are my ideal choice of a wedding dress though.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by gigitte(f): 8:16pm On Jul 24, 2006
lol actually you can discern
the virgins,
those who dont care about losing their virginity
and those who are just forming that they dont care from some of thee replies on this thread.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by grafikdon: 3:57am On Jul 25, 2006
Sexual abstinence and chastity are two different things. Do not mix them together.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 25, 2006
So we have some many unmarried women in this forum. Na wao! Guys just concentrate in getting the dough and we have a lot to tag along us.Bible said 7 against a man aiight. Virgin and non-virgin should fund their white weddings and wear any color. My problem is the guys spending all their savings for some lousy promiscuous women. Why do women lose it so earlier? Is it poverty of finance or brain? I think a lot are greedy. Let's be objective.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by viena(f): 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2006
It would have been perfect if only VIRGINS wore white dresses on the their wedding day but it aint a perfect world. so whats the point
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by spikedcylinder: 2:11pm On Jul 25, 2006
viena:

It would have been perfect if only VIRGINS wore white dresses on the their wedding day but it aint a perfect world. so whats the point

Why?What will that prove?
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by nnena: 4:42pm On Jul 25, 2006
i think only virgins deserve to wear white gown
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by beyunce(f): 7:48am On Jul 26, 2006
only Virgins deserve what?

U will be lucky to find a virgin anyway.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by edatika(m): 8:29am On Jul 26, 2006
this has been a very interesting thread.

beyunce:

only Virgins deserve what?

U will be lucky to find a virgin anyway.

Beyuncy, are u saying u are one or not wink , na wah o

nnena:

i think only virgins deserve to wear white gown
abio, d people that started d tradition planned it that way, so the issue of a changed world et al, i dont know

i like the tones of the ladies here,
u can tell that they are all virgins, LOL grin grin
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Badman888(m): 8:32am On Jul 26, 2006
i agree Its Virgins that deserve white weddings but the world has changed now so all that dosent really matter, or else before we get to see a white wedding again, we go tire to dey wait,
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Txlonghorn(m): 8:36am On Jul 26, 2006
Why do we have to have a white wedding sef, what happed to our traditional wedding. Because oyinbos do white we wan copie everythin oyinbos do na wah o
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Badman888(m): 8:39am On Jul 26, 2006
i wonder ooo its just double waste of cash or else one is good enough u still married,
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by edatika(m): 8:46am On Jul 26, 2006
i concur jare
why must it b oyinbo style

if it's white do it properly
else, it's not compulsory,
we too like oyinbo style,
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by babadee(m): 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2006
if only virgins were to wear white, then white wedding will be very rare because to be real, how many chics are virgins? abi no be person go marry that chic wey you(brothers) dey lie to now?
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Hotstepper(f): 5:54pm On Jul 26, 2006
why is it only chics? guys, r u people restricted from this virginity of a thing? yes, only virgins deserves to wear white
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by beyunce(f): 8:35am On Jul 27, 2006
edatika:

Beyuncy, are u saying u are one or not wink , na wah o

Abeg not been a virgin is nt a new thing. cheesy
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by spikedcylinder: 11:30am On Jul 28, 2006
Does this mean that guys that wear black are like the total opposite of virgins? shocked grin
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by chiomaobj(f): 1:09am On Jul 29, 2006
yea i think virgins do deserve wedding gown. i think not should be eligible to wear wedding gowns because many of them did not plan it that way but along the line might have met ma be heart brakes, rapes and so on. so all except pregnant women should be allowed to wear wedding gowns.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by chiomaobj(f): 1:18am On Jul 29, 2006
yea i think virgins do deserve wedding gown. cheesy i think not only virgins should be eligible to wear wedding gowns because many of them did not plan it that way but along the line might have met ma be heart brakes, rapes and so on. so all except pregnant women should be allowed to wear wedding gowns. cool
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by shockreaction(m): 7:59am On Jul 29, 2006
What difference do the freaking colours make? It's a bloody wedding for crying out loud. Just get on with it and have fun with your life.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because people make a big deal out of all these things. Sheesh.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by Damsal(f): 12:07pm On Jul 29, 2006
shockreaction:

What difference do the freaking colours make? It's a bloody wedding for crying out loud. Just get on with it and have fun with your life.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because people make a big deal out of all these things. Sheesh.

@ shockreaction

That's the spirit smiley
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by spikedcylinder: 5:27pm On Jul 30, 2006
shockreaction:

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by mamaput(f): 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2006
Are we talking about a Dress.?
Many years ago the wedding dress of a woman was black and not white.
Is red not the colour of the weddingdress in India. and white the dress for widows?

Talks about a dress. i use my mouth herte to say 75% of the women in their white dresses are even with child. Them carry belly.
Re: Only Virgins Deserve White Weddings? by chistiana(f): 1:08pm On Jul 31, 2006
u dont have to say that, not only virgins. dont u know we have different types of virgins lol here. the only people that dosnt diserve that are those who abort, who are not clean, but i think i deserve a white wedding, cause am diff(lol) cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Popular Pastor Funke Adejumos' Son Weds In Akure (photos) / "Leave Comedy For Shortcut" Shutsdown Abuja, As Performing Kids Bag Scholarship / 10 Real Life Mermaid Caught On Camera (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.