Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,904 members, 7,906,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 10:10 AM

Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years (40480 Views)

The New Ooni Of Ife Meet With OAU Sug President / Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years [PICTURED] / Student Graduates, 13 Years After Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by damosky12(m): 11:15pm On Aug 02, 2014
lovingD: Wetin concern me.......abeg make them open our great ife,make we resume,i don miss those sweet toto and my books jare
Your books? Your books and 'toto' can not go hand in hand na.. Now, this is why many graduates end up as vendors.

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by ElFenomeno1: 11:16pm On Aug 02, 2014
Smh.
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by pussyeater(m): 11:17pm On Aug 02, 2014
Join me as I campaign for Saburi for President 2015
All we are saying" We want Saburi

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Princeadebayo1(m): 11:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
Of the greatest Ife!....Great!
I salute u jare SUG of life
Aluta continua Victoria ascerta !!! not "our sister" this time around. smiley cheesy
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by TokyoBulls(m): 11:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
Saburi a.k.a Malcomn X. Dude got into Ife 3 years before me and now I have an MBA and 6 years of work experience. Lots of sacrifice to be a Student Union leader. Obesere got into Ife in 1989 but was in school till like 2005 or 2006. People sacrifice a lot of stuff.

3 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
13 what shocked , such a person will leave my faculty with just certificate of attendance.
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 02, 2014
When Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife
former Student Union Government (SUG) President,
Akinola Saburi was admitted in the year 2000, he
had no feeling that he would not graduate on a record
time.
His involvement in campus activism was what held
him on campus for additional eight years.All started
in 2003 when he was elected as the Secretary General
of the students’ union and along the line, he became
an acting president of the union when the incumbent
president, Akinkunmi Olawoyin, was sick and could
not perform his official duties again.
Saburi’s administration was said to be in constant
face-off with the school authority on issues bordering
on students’ welfare.
The union, according to investigations, always
demanded from the authority to put things like
accommodation problem, high tuition fee, overcrowded
lecture rooms and hostels as well as policies they
considered oppressive in the right perspective so as to
make their studentship a worthwhile experience.
And at a time when there was no positive response,
the students embarked on protests and the
management fingered 13 of them as ring leaders
including Saburi and consequently expelled them from
school.
The students challenged their expulsion at the Federal
High Court in Osogbo, Osun State, and the court
ordered their reinstatement pending its judgment.
“But when we got back to school, we were advised to
plead with the authority to reinstate us fully and
this was granted on the condition that we must
withdraw the case from the court,” Saburi, from
Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State,
recalled. And after the pardon, according to him,
some of them bowed out of unionism but Saburi and a
few others did not.
So in 2006, Saburi popularly known on campus as
“Malcom X” contested again for the office of the
president of the union and one hour to conclude the
election and announce the results, the school
authority came up with a release circulating round
the campus that Saburi was still on suspension.
Expectedly, the students’ union objected to this
position, arguing that such explanation was too late
since Saburi had already done his course registration,
issued a valid student’s identity card and contested
the election.
And because the students refused to dance to the
tune of the authority, a fresh expulsion order was
slammed on him and to enforce this, Saburi was
arrested by the officers of the State Security Service
(SSS) and arraigned the following day at a
magistrate court on a 10-count charge. Saburi left
the detention exactly on March 12, 2008 and was at
home for one year and one month before he was
recalled by the school authority to continue with his
studies.
Saburi was asked to write an apology letter to the
authority and provide guarantor letters from a first
class traditional ruler, a senior lecturer and a
student leader on what they called “his good conduct”
before he would be allowed back in school.
Saburi returned in 2010 and he still spent another
three years due to the prolonged 2012 nationwide
lecturers’ strikes and the students protest on
campus. He came out of the university with Second
Class Lower, the grade that is considered to be for
above average students at OAU.
“I am happy to be graduated eventually while at the
same time, I have no regret whatsoever over my
actions. I considered my punishment as a sacrifice
for a better tomorrow,” he said.

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Kossyne(m): 11:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
I am speechless. This is the true definition of altruism. There is a thin line between foolishness and selflessness.

If only we had leaders like this steering affairs of this country.........

And for those who think his mates has made it, remember life is a race and overtaking is allowed.

Ride on bro, we have you in our hearts, posterity will never forget you, history will forever have you on his lips.

6 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
shocked shocked shocked......Toh!

englishmart: Odin and his aro colleagues no go allow am graduate Na.
Being an sug president is not an easy task. You have to be karid.

Karma fears no tomorrow.
For what must be must be.

My uncle was an SUG president for over 38 years owing to cultism . He graduated the same year with my kid sister.
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by darlingtonNYIG(m): 11:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
englishmart: Odin and his aro colleagues no go allow am graduate Na.
Being an sug president is not an easy task. You have to be karid.

Karma fears no tomorrow.
For what must be must be.

My uncle was an SUG president for over 38 years owing to cultism . He graduated the same year with my kid sister.
de here de form odin and aro thing, UNN no send you. If you do rubbish you are finished, ask of UNN SUG of 2009/2010, I was the Info Officer and we know the hell we passed through just to protect students' interest
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Moredew(m): 11:23pm On Aug 02, 2014
I wish I could have dis guy's courage. A country where injustice and oppression is highly celebrated needs more of people like this. Nlc, and oda civil society organisations y not pick up did guy.

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Jnrbayerno(m): 11:23pm On Aug 02, 2014
what an achievement
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
pxjosh: .after 13years unbelievable!!! all the people he fought for have all graduated and possibly married with children. quite shameful
There is nothing unbelievable about it. When I was matriculating there is this guy in 400level in the same department. years after I left he was still writing 400level courses. Eventually the school had to give certificate of attendance. He was a former NANS PRO and former NANS president. The guy spent close to 13 years without even graduating so this OAU guy tried
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
Greatest of the great!
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by bot101(m): 11:25pm On Aug 02, 2014
234GT: Fighting for the so called masses to your own detriment makes no sense.

Those you were fighting for have graduated and a good number of then have moved into the future of their dreams.

Sorry!

Maybe the governing council of the school will name a lecture theatre after him grin
Its a mentality like this that keeps nigeria where it currently is, later you'll cry foul when the government maltreats you. you and your likes are plain cowards!.

8 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by wiringdpt(m): 11:25pm On Aug 02, 2014
OMGFG...We lived together in Ilasamaja on hassan street. I swear
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by bonalegend(m): 11:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
angryLOL
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Tunguy01(m): 11:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
lovingD: Wetin concern me.......abeg make them open our great ife,make we resume,i don miss those sweet toto and my books jare
I bet ur brain feels as good as new , seeing that u've Neva used it ..., akindanidani !!!!

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Fourwinds: 11:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
massmedia: Quite shameful and disappointing...
After all the protest,aluta,opposition etc,,has OAU changed for the better... Is it not the same OAU that is on strike now...
May God punish oau student union for making me stay this long at home(am in part2,but i have spent more time @ home,than in school....

WOE TO OAU SUG(THOSE sug guyz have no future)..
pple like u will never be grateful to sacrifice made by activist dats y u will continue to live in a messed up country like Nigeria. didn't u see what Mandela did for his own country.? selfish person. I'm grateful to him even though I spent seven yrs in dat school(O A U). 2007 was my last struggle in d school

5 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Tunguy01(m): 11:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
I bet ur brain feels as good as new , seeing that u've Neva used it ...,just give ur phone 2 ur sister or broda 2 read ur comment 2 ur ear ..., akindanidani !!!!

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by dstnd: 11:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
begwong: Dont worry u will soon be elected NLC/TUC national president to deal with those that dealt with u grin
in the success of life there is no late comer......life give u wot u deserve not what u desire...weldone bro

1 Like

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by meforyou1(m): 11:31pm On Aug 02, 2014
tuffgongjo: u read d write up @ all,ITK.
I read it. All those guys that call themselves SUG are a bunch of unintelligent criminals
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by watered(m): 11:31pm On Aug 02, 2014
U seem to know nothing about life and dats y u said "shameful"
pxjosh: .after 13years unbelievable!!! all the people he fought for have all graduated and possibly married with children. quite shameful

4 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Rainstorms(m): 11:31pm On Aug 02, 2014
saburi for president 2015
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by meforyou1(m): 11:33pm On Aug 02, 2014
Fourwinds:
pple like u will never be grateful to sacrifice made by activist dats y u will continue to live in a messed up country like Nigeria. didn't u see what Mandela did for his own country.? selfish person. I'm grateful to him even though I spent seven yrs in dat school(O A U). 2007 was my last struggle in d school
Why call mandela's name. Compare awolowo with SUG. They are both bunch of unintelligent and unwise criminals
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by vislabraye(m): 11:35pm On Aug 02, 2014
POor guy. Those people he fought with have all graduated and left him. It mAy be that he was used as a sacrificial lamb. I wish he'll be compensated in one way or the other.
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by poiZon: 11:35pm On Aug 02, 2014
him certificate go carry HONS. B.Sc HONS.
oga mi, i knw say some lecturers go don dey call u OGA already.
congratulobia
Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by dcasca(m): 11:36pm On Aug 02, 2014
Saburi, u av done well. Unfortunately, we live in a country where people are not appreciated. People who sacrifice their time and energy end up suffering. I remember Anthony Fasayo (Tony Fash) and Obesere in those days, it was the same story...kudos to you guys...if only we had a few more people like you, Nigeria will be a better place.

2 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by adekanmbi1986(m): 11:36pm On Aug 02, 2014
I am surprised that most of the comments here are not sensible enough. I can tell you categorcally that Saburi is doing well than thousands of those he fought for. Our dreams are different, that is his dream(fighting for the masses) and he is doing well. Don't be surprised if you see the guy in government portfolio tomorrow. Mind you, he doesn't need that certificate anyway, because he is an achiever already.

9 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by Fourwinds: 11:37pm On Aug 02, 2014
it was dis same struggle dat yielded peace on campus from d barbarism of cultism. I remember I can move around campus at any time of d day even 2 am. no intimidation of girls by slowpoke cultist. here some foolish stupid individual who never know how d prize was paid are talking jargons. ...AFRICA. I hail thee RIP

4 Likes

Re: Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years by shadowwalker101: 11:37pm On Aug 02, 2014
na wa oo
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ASUU: FG Directs New Unions To Commence Teaching Immediately / Jambites: Post Your UME Results Here! / Never Look Down On Anyone (Tomorrow Is Pregnant)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.