Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,017 members, 7,915,946 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 12:57 PM

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? (36909 Views)

Kano State ASUU Chairman Cant Speak Good English! / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by nickz(m): 1:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
relate more with people that speak good english[especially females]
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Liability(m): 2:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
doing my thing. But...
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reading & listening to good english #Shikena

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by PassingShot(m): 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
fr3do: Read
Read more
Don't stop reading

There you have the answer. Close the thread.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
MadCow1: 1. Read alot of Best Seller Novels.

2. Stop watching Nigerian Movies. #StopIt!

3. Watch more American Movies, preferably British movies (cos the Americans speak horrible english especially the Blacks).

4. Stop writing in short texts.. E.g: hw r u? It affects your spelling ability.

Brilliant.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by kaeycea(m): 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
ITbomb: Weed, son, good quality early morning weed and the grammar would flow

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by vicadex07(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2014
jayseehe: Viewing this topic: illuminatic , DJDOLA (m ) , MamaPeace (f) , softsparkyy ( f ), and 3
guest(s) grin

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Affable0709(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2014
Learning cool
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by caniva(m): 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
Just speak and never mind committing error.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by conyema12(m): 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
Do not miss English Premiership. ...Especially the commentators. I really trip at their choice of words. ..Kai how I wish I can speak like EfanĀ Ekoku.... that guy kills me with grammar.

Also run away from anything pigeon. .. whether its English or bird.

6 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by passion007: 2:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
aaronson: Personally verbal english and written english has never been a problem,reason why? Because I take it as hobby to make word play,irony and metaphor eventhough I'm not a rapper,those are my verbal skills with a touch of phonetics with every words,I have no problem being honest to tell you chicks in my department often like chit chat with me because I'm good vocally and fluent verbally which makes my glow divine like a fountain flow. For further learning references,read a lot,listening to cnn,bbc and other top notch news broadcasters and lastly which works for me is listen to RAP,I'm talking hard core rap and little of commercial rappers too. *Not nigeria rappers but the US

OP, I'll tell you what not to do: don't listen to this guy!

10 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by tpia1: 2:54pm On Aug 04, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by helphelp: 2:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
Elnino4ladies: This thread wil be useful if those riff raff stop deraillin it.....d way i speak is aweful *no shame*...i nid practical ways 2 improve on it...

Oh! Not far fetched.. It's "awful"

My advice, read more. Do less TV, more reading...

Educate yourself by reading, reduce entertaining yourself, by watching less TV.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Zakkyoz: 2:57pm On Aug 04, 2014
there is nothing like 'more easier' op should take note.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by xynerise: 2:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
Watch Cartoons

3 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by glosali(f): 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
Your daily conversing language should be english www.glowysofiscated..com then with time ull b a master of it

2 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Wolison(m): 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
Still learning shaa....wish I could command flawless grammar, guess it would've propelled me to cloud nine!!
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by okonja(m): 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
No time

Off point

3. Watch more American Movies, preferably British movies (cos the Americans speak horrible english especially the Blacks).

Maybe

[b]My BBM contacts knew me for this, strictly complete sentence EXCEPT on business, I 'll allow you to type your way[/b]cool
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Kimmo(f): 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
Capableben: Hitherto, I have always admired people that speak good English- on T.v, films, neighborhood, and some friends.Even here on nairaland , we have a good number of people that write English as though they were related to Queen Elizabeth.
I recently discovered that its much more easier for me writing English than speaking it impeccably. What should one do to speak English authoritatively and impeccably

Read! Read often, especially fiction, not just motivational crap that everyone brandishes these days. Fiction writers use regular language, they aren't trying to impress anyone with grammar but try to reach a large audience.
Don't learn the big words. They'll come later. Read, read, read! You can start with the African Writers Series, Chinua Achebe, Cyprian Ekwensi etc. Simple grammar, classy diction, interesting reading too!
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by rutibaby(f): 3:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Listen 2 eloquent speakers.
Watch good Ghanian movies.
Read good literatures.
Have a mentor dat speaks good English fluently.
And always speak good English at all times.
Also, accept corrections 4rm friends whenever you're been corrected.

THANKS.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Emblj: 3:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
You learn a language by speaking it !
1. Speak English and you don't necessarily have to speak big grammar. The key is express yourself to the fullest using the least number of words. This means do not try to give direct translation of your mother tongue.
Like some have remarked, it has to be a conscious effort, you need to listen to some good speakers of the language.
2. Watch discussion programmes and documentaries on tv, some nollywood productions before the proliferation of the industry and selected few these days. You can equally see some foreign movies too.
3. Read anything.
4. Be a good user of dictionary, do not be too sure and/or lazy to look up the meaning of words and their usage.
5.Then make sure you use these words in sentences with your "kinsmen" so as not to forget.
6. Make it a point of duty to learn a new word and its usage per day. In thirty days you would have learnt thirty new words.
7.Do not be in a hurry, excite yourself with each new word usage.
8. Play with words.

5 Likes

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by igbonla(m): 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2014

He said English, not Patois!
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by MadCow1: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2014
okonja: ....

Erm..

I dont advice watching Nigerian movies because they seldom speak good English in most of them. Even the Yoruba movies with subtitles are horrible.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2014

I was going to really query you...but I saw the funny side grin
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by kaeycea(m): 3:06pm On Aug 04, 2014
Liability: doing my thing. But...
u're working hard to trivialise dis thread..
Something tells me u hv failed
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Godmother(f): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2014

Well said

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
I believe is exposure and vast knowledge of terminologies of different field coupled with a good understanding of sentence structure.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by slyzy(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
Avoid using pidgin English to communicate and try to make friends with people who speak fluently.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2014

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by basty: 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
I thank Gad for giving me tha grace to averagely speak good Queens language. Amen somebody
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Emblj: 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
You learn a language by speaking it !
1. Speak English and you don't necessarily have to speak big grammar. The key is express yourself to the fullest using the least number of words. This means do not try to give direct translation of your mother tongue.
Like some have remarked, it has to be a conscious effort, you need to listen to some good speakers of the language.
2. Watch discussion programmes and documentaries on tv, some nollywood productions before the proliferation of the industry and selected few these days. You can equally see some foreign movies too.
3. Read wide !
4. Be a good user of dictionary, do not be too sure and/or lazy to look up the meaning of words and their usage.
5.Then make sure you use these words in sentences with your "kinsmen" so as not to forget.
6. Make it a point of duty to learn a new word and its usage per day. In thirty days you would have learnt thirty new words.
7.Do not be in a hurry, excite yourself with each new word usage.
8. Play with words.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by xtervaganza(m): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
wrench: I on the other hand speaks good english but kinda poor in writing it down.
e don show for this small one wey u write self grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IMT Masscom Student And Exam Malpractice Skills (pictured) / Dr. & Dr. (Mrs) Oviosun: Nigerian Man And His Wife Bag PhD Same Day / JAMB Starts Issuing Admissions Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.