Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,311 members, 7,887,925 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:32 PM

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? (36866 Views)

Kano State ASUU Chairman Cant Speak Good English! / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Geenickel(m): 11:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
well it easy o..seriously make d dictionary an indispensable companion.. dats all
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by tonychristopher: 11:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
queensenglish91:
The plural of 'father' is 'fathers'. However, when ascribing ownership to a noun (singular or plural), the apostrophe must be used.
If the noun is singular, the apostrophe comes just before the final 's'. If it's plural, it comes just after.

Example 1: My doctor's phone is cool.
Example 2: Doctors' salaries have not been paid

I am not arguing with you cos English ain't my language and I enjoyed this with you.

good night bro
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by HandOfChukwu: 11:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
If you want to learn good English go live in England with you oyibo friend dem.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
Capableben:
How would that come to past? delineate your strategies pls...
Hey, you don't need terminology. You need a solution. Just follow me and you would be fine.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by bizhub: 11:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
Background is indespensable but one can improve as well.I wish to be eloquent and speak impeccable grammer someday.I recomment EPL commentary with efan ekoku and co,EPL analysis,tinsel,dow.ry,dragons den (UK),ebony life ,sound motivational speakers and pastors also read a book per month. Lastly radio statio
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by piagetskinner(m): 11:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
Erm, I'd suggest watching Hon. patrick's interviews over and over, until people become flabbergasted by/@ ur eloquence
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Capableben(m): 11:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
Joenice: Hey, you don't need terminology. You need a solution. Just follow me and you would be fine.
owk.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by beezglean: 12:10am On Aug 05, 2014
Read read and read, practice pronunciations, pronounce your words correctly without artificial accent and never mind those who would say you are forming/faking. Beezglean.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by wizzyblast(m): 12:10am On Aug 05, 2014
Watch Ken Robinson on TED.. You'd love English.
Uhm, I'd suggest reading and also watching a lot of foreign movies. Especially British ones... Have you tried "suits"? I developed my accent long ago with..... Cartoons. Strange, but true
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by nwasteve(m): 12:42am On Aug 05, 2014
English class, which of these is correct;

how is your parents and

how are your parents
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nyceguy92: 1:29am On Aug 05, 2014
MadCow1: 1. Read alot of Best Seller Novels.

2. Stop watching Nigerian Movies. #StopIt!

3. Watch more American Movies, preferably British movies (cos the Americans speak horrible english especially the Blacks).

4. Stop writing in short texts.. E.g: hw r u? It affects your spelling ability. [right][/right][s][/s][b]
[i][/i]

5. STop speaking Pidgin English entirely. [/b]

I quite agree with the writer. You need to read materials written in formal English. My preference would be best seller novels, newspapers and magazines.

It also helps to listen to radio dramas and radio panel discussion programmes.

It also helps if you are in an environment where English is used to communicate more often. You have to practise it.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Daluuzor(m): 1:40am On Aug 05, 2014
hmm, ok oo, my 3 cents!!!
watch TINSEL!!!! concentrate on Phillip Adewilliams, Brenda, Ashiru, Yaya, Amaka and my lovely Danny, and u will go places in ur spoken English. Lol
my secret: read lots of novels (foreign), watch good movies (foreign), make d dictionary ur closest pal and also visit "Nairaland" regularly! lwkmd.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by zabyx: 1:40am On Aug 05, 2014
aaronson: Personally verbal english and written english has never been a problem,reason why? Because I take it as hobby to make word play,irony and metaphor eventhough I'm not a rapper,those are my verbal skills with a touch of phonetics with every words,I have no problem being honest to tell you chicks in my department often like chit chat with me because I'm good vocally and fluent verbally which makes my glow divine like a fountain flow. For further learning references,read a lot,listening to cnn,bbc and other top notch news broadcasters and lastly which works for me is listen to RAP,I'm talking hard core rap and little of commercial rappers too. *Not nigeria rappers but the US

Rappers tend to speak poor English. Conversationally, especially in the context of business, they are not known to be eloquent.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Ezemust: 6:51am On Aug 05, 2014
fr3do: Read
Read more
Don't stop reading
ýes,read everytin essptialy novels
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 05, 2014
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 05, 2014
I'ld say that my pastor is like number one secret behind my spoken english. His english combined with a bit of british accent is catching and worth salavating for. grin

I rarely mingle with people that speaks pidgin(it classifies me as introvert) and even my uncle I am currently stay with, doesn't speak our indigenous local language apart from fluent english and sometimes annoying pidgin. undecided He's a 2.1 graduate of English Language from University of Lagos in 90's. smiley

I love watching some mexican soap opera and sometimes CNN and Aljazeera news update. I also won't miss any interview with someone who has good command of English language mixed with a nice accent being aired on television.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Vernor(m): 8:15am On Aug 05, 2014
Honestly, tried to read some response but it baffles me what we have turn to pls may i ask you can u speak ur language fluently like that also what is d award u covert for d effort ? U guys are busy studing foreign lang. and yet urs u cant speak . Pls have a rethink. Thanks.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by CaptainKodak(m): 8:49am On Aug 05, 2014
1) Stop watching Nollywood films
2) Star downloading and watching Patience Jomathan's speech. #Shikena
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Donbabaj: 9:58am On Aug 05, 2014
Daluuzor: hmm, ok oo, my 3 cents!!!
watch TINSEL!!!! concentrate on Phillip Adewilliams, Brenda, Yaya, Amaka and my lovely Danny, and u will go places in ur spoken English. Lol
my secret: read lots of novels (foreign), watch good movies (foreign), make d dictionary ur closest pal and also visit "Nairaland" regularly! lwkmd.

In fact there came a time i was jotting down on my notebook the words of the above artiste. I really learnt new phrases and sentences on Tinsel
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Sabotage4700(m): 10:17am On Aug 05, 2014
ask hon. Patrick obahiagbon
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 05, 2014
chizzy94:
You deserve a million dollar for that. I can attest to that claim, hardcore Rap has really made a huge mark on my command of the English Language, not those trash Lil wayne, 2chainz and their likes spew though. Rap has really given me much insight to happenings around the world and has really helped widen my knowledge base.

And I also read a lot too, anything, Newspaper, Bible, Novels, Self-help books, dictionary, articles and posts on here. I'm also working on my spoken english, I rarely talk so I tend to stutter at the start of the conversation but somehow get into my Zone during the course of the conversation smiley.
We got a lot in common,roger that bro.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 05, 2014
zabyx:

Rappers tend to speak poor English. Conversationally, especially in the context of business, they are not known to be eloquent.
That was the reason I specified hardcore rap and literally not commercial rap
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by thexzy(m): 11:15am On Aug 05, 2014
E-bola won be DoroEnglish......owk na....
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by ruffplay: 11:44am On Aug 05, 2014
Try to constrain your mind to always think in good English, believe me it works better that way..
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by jpphilips(m): 11:55am On Aug 05, 2014
dridowu: Read novels, Read Quality Books, Listen to a very good program on-air/off-air. Stop using shorthand, write correctly and correct yourself immediately you find out you made a mistake, once in a while read those elementary english books, accept correction from both young/old.

You guys sef! does novel pronounce word for him?
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Driftingking(m): 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
Leaders of 2mao..

Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by magictouch: 12:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
Capableben: I am so elated, this piece got to the FP, now I am sure many more pple will learn and not myself only.. I don't believe in personal aggrandizement.

and yes, many people like me are indeed learning. Thanks for putting up this post
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Joshuadon: 12:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
MadCow1: 1. Read alot of Best Seller Novels.

2. Stop watching Nigerian Movies. #StopIt!

3. Watch more American Movies, preferably British movies (cos the Americans speak horrible english especially the Blacks).

4. Stop writing in short texts.. E.g: hw r u? It affects your spelling ability.

5. STop speaking Pidgin English entirely.

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE 4 BUT A BIT SKEPTICAL ABOUT NO 5 PRECISELY CUS NA NAIJA WE DEY OOOO

IT JUST ALL ABOUT..
PRACTICE! PRACTISE!! PRACTISE!!!
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by chinkichun: 12:40pm On Aug 05, 2014
MadCow1: 4. Stop writing in short texts.. E.g: hw r u? It affects your spelling ability.

This is one of the major problem affecting simple everyday use of English especially writing. At first, you think you can easily switch back to writing correct formal English. Then in a blink of an eye, you can't. I advise all, especially students to desist from this.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Daluuzor(m): 1:55pm On Aug 05, 2014
Donbabaj:

In fact there came a time i was jotting down on my notebook the words of the above artiste. I really learnt new phrases and sentences on Tinsel
sure thing bro, those guys on Tinsel were carefully selected, Tinsel is far better than any home movies. btw, who s ur best character on Tinsel?
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 05, 2014
isaco: English starts from word, phrase, clause, sentence, paragraph to passage, and another thing that is also important in learning English is 'Tense', simple present tense, past tense, present continuous tense etc, and there their examples. Don't forget part of speech and figure of speech. Then listen to those who speak good English, either live or on tv, not only listening, note the important words of the speaker. Moreover, Dictionary is so important in learning English language, learn how to use dictionary, learn new word and how to use it daily, read books, watch English films, learn how to communicate in English because speaking English needs courage and what some people call 'effizy'. Lastly, don't be deceived not to speak or learn your dialect too, you can be perfect in English and still be perfect in your mothers language. Thanks.
Re: Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 05, 2014
chinkichun:

This is one of the major problems affecting simple everyday use of English especially writing. At first, you think you can easily switch back to writing correct formal English. Then in a blink of an eye, you can't. I advise all, especially students to desist from this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dr. & Dr. (Mrs) Oviosun: Nigerian Man And His Wife Bag PhD Same Day / Sylvia Nduaguba Chinwedu, IMSU Best Graduating Mechanical Engineering Student / How To Create JAMB Profile As Registration Begins Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.