Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,896 members, 7,938,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 10:53 AM

Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic (50160 Views)

Ebola Is Not A Worm And Drinking Salt Cannot Stop Transmission / Ebola Is A Lab Engineered Disease / 7 Reasons Not To Wear A Thong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by lomprico(m): 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
these points are for americans. our own don be!
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by 76Naira(m): 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
We know most of your points are true. However, can you explain why the US flew 2 patients in a retrofitted air ambulance one at a time into a specially contained negative pressure zone in a hospital where staff attend to them using the best protective kits available. All these after the first dosage of the in-test serum.
On the other hand, our Nigerian goons called leaders allowed first level contact people with Sawyer go home while they took their contacts and only went to Surulere to zap one out of her house when she started showing symptoms.

We have not even started understanding the possible ramifications of this Virus. So while we urge calm, we should allow some valid sense of urgency and open expression of apprehension.

Let's be frank, we are not ready for this stuff.
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
i opened a thread that very similar to this.
FYI this information is mainly for americans
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Dermie: 2:30pm On Aug 06, 2014
Alright!.
I'm not pa-ni-cki-iiinnng cry

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Horlawoomey(m): 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
God please don't let this virus strive in Nigeria cos we have no facility to combat it, please don't give us problems we can not tackle... FEAR DEY CATCH ME O
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
2nd to comment....can't believe I js typed dt....
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ndlife: 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
remove it from africa ,then we wont panic
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Wolison(m): 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
Am under the shadow of the Almighty so, Am not panicking again!!!.........God is my strenght and yours also you the reader!!!!!
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
kennyung: Prayer is the Only Key

[size=13pt]No Bro, Nigeria would be heaven if only prayer works..... Religion is our secret setback..... Less religious societies have been the ones rescuing the world from evils, Why? Because they use their brains and work their brains unlike the religious mind who just depends on God, who gave you freewill and rationality......So Prayer is not the key....Thinkers will always lead wink[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by toprealman: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
This guys are really in charge. They tell us when to freak out, when to chill, when and how to be intimate, what to buy, what to eat, when and how to prepare our food.....etc.
Last week it was ebola to wipe out the world, this week it is ebola not a major threat. Conspiracy theory methinks!
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
I hate conspiracy theories but the way new strains of highly infectious diseases are suddenly springing up in Africa is scary.
I just wonder how the same animals Africans have been in contact with for millions of years are now so dangerous to them?

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by michaelebuka: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
Please seun, in a time as this we need more this on frontpage. RIP my fellow Nigerian cry

achyc2002: Saw this and just thought I should share

(CNN) - Donald Trump is tweeting that "We should not be importing (Ebola) to our homeland."

An Indiana congressman is worried that refugee children from Central America could pose a public health risk with "Ebola circulating."

And the Twitter-sphere is filled with people asking "how can we bring these patients to America," complaining that "We don't have enough problems in America! Let's import Ebola patients!" and speculating that treating them here is "highly irresponsible."
It's a terrifying disease for sure. It typically kills 90% of the people who get it, and this most recent outbreak is the largest in history. But you don't need to panic, experts say, and you definitely don't have to worry about the two American Ebola patients who are being treated in Atlanta.

Here are five reasons why:

1. It's fragile.

Ebola is an incredibly fragile virus. It does not fly through the air with the greatest of ease. It cannot be transmitted through a cough or sneeze. It doesn't move easily from human to human like the common cold.

Ebola is aggressively infectious, so people who are infected are highly likely to get sick. But it's not highly contagious.

"The Ebola virus spreads through direct contact with the blood, secretions or other body fluids of ill people and indirect contact -- for example, with needles and other things that may be contaminated with these fluids," said Stephan Monroe, deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control's National Center for Emerging Zoonotic and Infectious Diseases.

2. We know how it works.

Although there is no vaccine and no cure, the one real advantage we have with Ebola is that doctors know how to control it.

Ebola isn't "some mystical pathogen (with) some bizarre mode of transmission," said Bruce Ribner, who oversees the special isolation unit that is treating the patients at Emory University Hospital.

Common-sense hygiene can stop its spread.

"Ebola is a virus that can be stopped and not spread in hospitals. The stakes are higher, but it's easily inactivated with typical hospital disinfectants," said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Tom Frieden.

3. We have the resources to contain it.

The two American patients with Ebola were flown to the United States in a plane outfitted with an isolation pod.

They are being kept in isolation at the Emory hospital with a specialized containment ward, one of four in the country.
In the containment ward, the vents are specialized. There's an intercom and plate glass that separates patients from visitors so they don't come into direct contact. There's a strict protocol on everyone and everything that goes into and out of the patient's room. Health care workers wear protective suits.

But any major medical center could really take care of an Ebola patient, said William Schaffner, an expert on infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University's School of Medicine.

Most ICUs have isolation rooms that are used for patients suspected to have tuberculosis, SARS, Middle East respiratory syndrome or another infectious disease. Schaffner said that not much would be different for an Ebola patient, though more stringent precautions might be taken to ensure that health care workers are following all protocols.

4. Our medical staff is ready.

"We have been training for this," Ribner said of preparations for the two American Ebola patients. These doctors know how to handle Ebola and will use an abundance of caution when working with an infected person.

Medical workers across the country have also been told to watch out for Ebola symptoms and question patients who have recently traveled to West Africa. They are trained to recognize Ebola cases and can quarantine them early, keeping others from coming into contact with an infected person's bodily fluids while the disease runs its course.

5. Airports are on alert.

At African airports in the Ebola-affected region, passengers are being closely screened. Health experts are watching for people with high fevers. Those who have a temperature are removed and monitored while doctors test their blood for Ebola.

When passengers arrive at the airport, they are required to wash their hands in a chlorinated solution. Customs agents and passport inspectors are also wearing surgical gloves when interacting with passengers.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/05/health/ebola-dont-panic/index.html?c=&page=4
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by dandanwalu: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
The guy was speaking to the Americans.

We don't have all these things in place in Nigeria.

I'm really worried o.

Pray there is cure to this evil on time before it becomes uncontrollable.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by expert1000: 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ebola came 2phase out boko haram.
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Onwe101(m): 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
Am just scared and uncomfortable...which kind life b dis? wia I go run go?
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ooshinibos: 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
Then use it then ...Prayer is not the only key ... you are typical religious nigerian
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by publicenemy(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
MizMyColi: embarassed If I speak my mind on this Ebola issue, America will know.

Please speak ur mind Angel,because they need to know.

They have an effective vaccine for the virus but they say its still being tested.And they are using on two Amercans that got the virus whose health are improving...well the EBOLA patients here in Africa dont care if its being tested,they just need any thng that will help get em better.
So please make them hear if you can.

wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Aburumah75: 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
We have no cause to worry.

we don't eat pork, monkey, bushmeat or swine.
we wash our hands, face, legs and rinse our mouths five times everyday
moreover, we run away from the infected more than we will from a lion! ;DWe have no cause to worry.

we don't eat pork, monkey, bushmeat or swine.
we wash our hands, face, legs and rinse our mouths five times everyday
moreover, we run away from the infected more than we will from a lion!
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Adewizzy007(m): 2:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
ONWARDBABA:
He who has ears let him hear
[s][quote
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ofala(m): 2:54pm On Aug 06, 2014
Upbeat awareness but you can call it Social responsibility

Kudos to Seun & Team
kendrick93: why is ebola always on fp at every minute.. i tink our biggest problem is fear
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by jude33084(m): 2:56pm On Aug 06, 2014
Copy and Past Assosiation of Nigeria cheesy

This is meant for the people living in the US NOT Africans cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by smart134: 3:04pm On Aug 06, 2014
He took Away our infirmities and bore our sickness...Just Have faith in God
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 06, 2014
I don't understand, today you guys will post a scary news about dis virus, making people's heart jump from left to right, tomoro una go post anoda news giving people hope making d heart run back to left from right. angry
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by mindworx: 3:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
Exodus 15:26

If you diligently heed the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you.

Psalm 91:7

A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not come near you.

Exodus 23:25

You shall serve the Lord your God, and he will bless your bread and your water, and I will take sickness away from among you.

Lets spread more messages of hope. God bless

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by petreli08: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2014
Panicking won't solve anything ,,the basics of Ebola spread is contact with fluid of infected person/animal...the knowledge of this can help ppl know hw τ̲̅ȍ maintain hygiene
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by collynzov5: 3:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
The article is for Americans and Americans alone, we Nigerians have every reason to panic! None of the stuffs written there applies to Nigeria.
I wonder how an article directed to Americans will be copied and pasted on Nairaland just like that and a supermod will bring it to the front page with the same title.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by iscom(m): 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
A nurse that cared for the Liberian who passed away as a result of Ebola virus die today and five others that cared for the Liberian are infected with the virus. So sad. I strongly believed Ebola virus is also transmitted through air. If not why health care professionals are not contacting HIV the rate they contact Ebola virus if route of transmission are the same?
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Sweetlemon(f): 3:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
This topic should be "Why Americans Should Not Panic"

All the points here do not apply to us in Nigeria.

OP is just desperate to make front page and some uninformed mod brought it to front page?

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by bablononi(m): 3:21pm On Aug 06, 2014
to dey comment on ebola tread self no safe

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by godman01(m): 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
Faith in God's Word!
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by 190theclown: 3:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
Onwe101: Am just scared and uncomfortable...which kind life b dis? wia I go run go?

[size=38pt]VILLAGE grin[/size]
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ecnuel: 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
mascot87: Exactly,we don't have to worry. A simple addiction to use of soap & water will be ok

Guy, they did not say soap and water but disinfectant!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sisters, Zainab & Aisha Mohammed Drown While Swimming In A Beach In US / Where Can I Get Whey Protein And Other Body Building Supplements In Lagos? / Wife Pours Architect Onyelowe Dandison Hot Water For Taming Their Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.