Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,577 members, 7,917,842 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:27 PM

NMA Strike Suspended? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Strike Suspended? (22532 Views)

NMA President Resigns!!!!!!!! / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by kalishay: 9:21am On Aug 07, 2014
I feel is not them resuming @der point of duty that matters,but having all neccesary gadget to combat Ebola!!!

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by chucs: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2014
eyeview:

In other civilized parts of the world,the Laboratory scientists are the ones that ought to culture this virus and then forward their observations to the pharmacists who will dig deep to develop a vaccine for it. Doctors are just to administer it.
So they shouldn't call out the doctors if this other two haven't done their parts yet. Crises have emerged and they are calling on the doctors,but pay wise,they want the doctors salary!
Nigerian drs can be funny. I thought you guys said that those are part of your job ? Now that Ebola came, you want to shift the duty to others.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by zurine(f): 9:51am On Aug 07, 2014
thank God
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Beync(f): 9:56am On Aug 07, 2014
So hospital will be flooded with patients mix wit ebola and all the rest. That means easy transmission, the populace is finish

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dalu: 10:13am On Aug 07, 2014
Sorry strike continues
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dalu: 10:18am On Aug 07, 2014
Apparently some there's been some misinformation

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by yomi007k(m): 10:19am On Aug 07, 2014
quote author=Chykechin]It's now official, the strike continues indefinitely. The government is yet to see the need to equip doctors and other health workers to fight Ebola as demanded. JOHESU will be joining the strike in 2 weeks[/quote]

I like Johesu, sharp ppl. Dem wan run. grin
And d FG fails to understand dt d virus can creep into Aso Rock. MY FELLOW NIGERIANS, BRACE YOURSELVES!
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dynatress: 10:19am On Aug 07, 2014
embarassedhmmmm! at this rate the hospital would be the focus of spread of ebola, it will be from the hospital to the community.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by citizenisb: 10:33am On Aug 07, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2718716/Missionary-struck-Ebola-person-brought-Europe-treatment-African-countries-declare-national-emergency.html

Onyebuchi Chukwu told reporters: 'We have a national emergency, indeed the world is at risk.

'Nobody is immune. The experience in Nigeria has alerted the world that it takes just one individual to travel by air to a place to begin an outbreak.'

The outbreak has been by far the most deadly since the virus was identified in 1976, according to the World Health Organisation.

Since breaking out earlier this year, the Ebola virus had killed at least 932 people in four west African countries as of Monday.

Up-to-date death tolls are hard to obtain because many cases are in remote areas, the virus has a lengthy incubation period and medics do not have the facilities to carry out full tests.

The World Health Organisation says this year there have been at least 1,711 cases of the disease, which has no proven cure.

Before now the most deadly outbreak was in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1995, killing 254 people or four out of every five people infected.

More than half of those infected in the current outbreak have died.

It comes after two American aid workers were repatriated earlier this week after being diagnosed with Ebola. They are said to be showing signs of improvement.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by citizenisb: 10:35am On Aug 07, 2014
(CNN) -- A nurse in Nigeria. A businessman in Saudi Arabia. A Spanish priest in Liberia.

With the World Health Organization announcing Wednesday that 932 deaths had been reported or confirmed as a result of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, Saudi Arabia joined the list of countries with suspected cases.

"This is the biggest and most complex Ebola outbreak in history," Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said.

Nearly all of those deaths have been in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, where more than 1,700 cases have been reported, according to WHO.

The agency said 108 new cases were reported between Saturday and Monday in those countries and Nigeria.

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has declared a state of emergency for 90 days because of the deadly outbreak, her office announced Wednesday.

"The scope and scale of the epidemic, the virulence and deadliness of the virus now exceed the capacity and statutory responsibility of any one government agency or ministry," she said in a written statement.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/07/health/africa-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dalu: 10:38am On Aug 07, 2014
Further information

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 07, 2014
Hospitals will re-open, ebola will spred easily because there are no facilities on ground to detect ebola patients on sight. Ebola symptoms are like flu and malaria so any patient that turns up at the hospital with flu-like symptoms should not be treated with kids' gloves.

I hope every chapter of NMA//ARD will meet locally to address this issue first. May God help us all!

JOHESU and noise, what are you guys doing towards developing a vaccine for doctors to administer? tongue

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 07, 2014
lokoloko84: yeaa! since you are superior and you own the patients, why don't you kiss your lazy ass, do research, develop and design drugs. Or you think drug development is for Sub par mind like you.

You should understand that there is a difference between scientists in research institutes and those in hospitals. Same for pharmacists in industries and those in hospitals. The truth is that in hospitals, they are simply support staff considering that pharmacy technicians and lab technicians can do most of their work, in their absence. Their domains are the research institutes and pharmaceutical industries respectively, where they should research on drugs, microbes and other disease causing agents. Mind you that no doctor has ever struggled to head any of such establishments.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 07, 2014
chucs: Nigerian drs can be funny. I thought you guys said that those are part of your job ? Now that Ebola came, you want to shift the duty to others.

Doctors can't leave attending to patients and start researching viruses and drugs, wen these guys are there. Who will consult in d absence of doctors? These jobs should be done by scientists in research institutes and pharmacists in industries. Not that doctors can't do it, but it's simply not doctors' job.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Oluschenco(m): 11:50am On Aug 07, 2014
God knows the number of untimely death as a result of the NMA's strike.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by mcino: 12:12pm On Aug 07, 2014
ILIDEFI:
Doctors can't leave attending to patients and start researching viruses and drugs, wen these guys are there. Who will consult in d absence of doctors? These jobs should be done by scientists in research institutes and pharmacists in industries. Not that doctors can't do it, but it's simply not doctors' job.
Not that doctors can't do it but it's simply not doctors' job? So doctors are now trained in pharmaceutics? In the minds of some of you, only doctors are intelligent. I am not in health profession, but I hate arrogance and grandstanding. For your information, many of us refused I study medicine just to avoid being limited, if you understand what I mean. It is not a haven for the extremely intelligent

4 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by 1234kkkk: 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2014
Ordinary diagnose they can't do, Chief Gani Fawehenmi was wrongly diagnosed by these dregs Nigerians Doctors of pneumonia and treated for the same ailment at LUTH. After two years ,a London Hospital diagnosed him of cancer. The only thing they can diagnose is increment in call duty allowance, increment in shift allowance, increment in dress allowance and to fight other medical workers as if they are special. After all, they equally patronize India for medical treatment. They should continue with the strike, at least their private hospitals are benefiting from it.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by phantom(m): 12:42pm On Aug 07, 2014
1234kkkk: Ordinary diagnose they can't do, Chief Gani Fawehenmi was wrongly diagnosed by these dregs Nigerians Doctors of pneumonia and treated for the same ailment at LUTH. After two years ,a London Hospital diagnosed him of cancer. The only thing they can diagnose is increment in call duty allowance, increment in shift allowance, increment in dress allowance and to fight other medical workers as if they are special. After all, they equally patronize India for medical treatment. They should continue with the strike, at least their private hospitals are benefiting from it.
what of Dora akunyili?

6 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by lokoloko84(m): 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
ILIDEFI:

You should understand that there is a difference between scientists in research institutes and those in hospitals. Same for pharmacists in industries and those in hospitals. The truth is that in hospitals, they are simply support staff considering that pharmacy technicians and lab technicians can do most of their work, in their absence. Their domains are the research institutes and pharmaceutical industries respectively, where they should research on drugs, microbes and other disease causing agents. Mind you that no doctor has ever struggled to head any of such establishments.
So in your mind,they are only support staff.Don't tell me about the pharmacy profession because you know nothing about it.The way you people nose dive in other medical profession is baffling.That nonsense can only happen in this country.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by wordcat(m): 1:00pm On Aug 07, 2014
candy: Hospitals will re-open, ebola will spred easily because there are no facilities on ground to detect ebola patients on sight. Ebola symptoms are like flu and malaria so any patient that turns up at the hospital with flu-like symptoms should not be treated with kids' gloves.

I hope every chapter of NMA//ARD will meet locally to address this issue first. May God help us all!

JOHESU and noise, what are you guys doing towards developing a vaccine for doctors to administer? tongue

What about private hospitals?
One thing is that ebola will only kill those it can kill. Shekina
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
wordcat:

What about private hospitals?
One thing is that ebola will only kill those it can kill. Shekina
To, chikena lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 2:02pm On Aug 07, 2014
spikesC:

What pharmacists do in Nigeria is drug dispensing and i see no difference with that and sales boys.
A doctor consults and gives you a prescription, you go to a pharmacist and he sells the drugs to you.

Lab. Scientists on the other hand do much better part of their job. But then, they ONLY run tests.
Malaria and typhoid everywhere.

But when people talk, they will say you're belittling the other health sectors. Meanwhile it is all in our eyes.
Nigerians need to do away with sentiments and accord blames to who deserves it.

They want medical practitioners to research for drugs on their pocket?
A pocket that is not even filled with deserved payments?
Go around Nigeria as a whole, most hospitals have not paid house officers for close to a year now.

How many institutes, government organisations and drug companies can sponsor research programs? Not to talk of for 3,5 to 10 years.

You want Ebola cure but you can't keep medical practitioners in good shape?
Nor update the educational sector to standard?
Nor update the hospital facilities?

The Ebola go kill of us naa

thank you very much
on other hand, the u.s govt has been funding research on ebola since it was discovered and to show you how they care about their citizens and docs, they flew in those infected docs one at a time to treat them, literally importing ebola into the u.s shocked but under controlled conditions.

try to look for gloves in a nigerian hospital, someone will either be hoarding it or eat the money allocated. we are not prepared for the ebola that has been ravaging west african countries for a while now. we dont have enough gear and facilities for barrier care. your government is a joke
in my opinion, no doctor should attend to anyone without provided protective gear and improved conditions... they dont pay enough and people dont appreciate you enough to do that. and to think that we were being castigated for demanding for better hospitals and global care.
now that ebola is around, the silence from johesu is deafening, even on nairaland. cant see that propagandist- 'yourhealthlabs' springing up threads... them don run. now everybody's pushing doctors forward because they know next to nothing about what to do... but they want you to die doing it quoting greed at every instance when you demand for better conditions.
they better come, we must all meet the ebola pts as team players, pharmacist must come and give drugs. team players my foot.
meanwhile RIP to those nigerians killed by ebola... sorry to say so,i feel you guys at first contact did a great job, but sadly, u died in vain. may God grant u eternal peace

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by MegMich(m): 2:09pm On Aug 07, 2014
BabaAlabi: After those murderers who call themselves medical doctors have finished fooling themselves, they now want to return because their money don dey finish! Make the ebola virus fire their useless heads. I have no respect for animals who use the death of patients to blackmail the government.

Its not right dear! We all know Nigerian Govt is all about settlement. If your shout is loudest, you will be heard.
Fact is we don't respect our doctors. Suffice to say they are even considering ending the strike means they care! Its patrotism if you ask me.

Government should do the right thing and not because of Ebola. A paramedic cannot obviously be the leader of a medical team. Listen to doctors and paramedics in training and you stuffs like:
For the doctors in training, they are like been primed or rather educated and tot to see themselves as head of medical team. They go tru rigorous training and I tell you, if not for job description can do virtually every thing paramedics can do.

The paramedics in training are like; well we're not medical students and as such should not pass tru the same rigorous training when they are faced with only less than a quarter of what a medical student sees.
Don't even want to go into their internship and residency programs which are worldsssss apart.
Why then should paramedics head those who stress more? Is it not a case of placing success before hard work?
In my opinion, JOHESU can help facilitate and revive our health system. STOP THIS UNWHOLESOME quest!!!

Australian Medical Association buttresses my point thus:
Doctors have the ability to apply skills and expertise in the context of an increasingly multidisciplinary, team-based approach to health care. While responsibility for the actions of those in the team may be diffuse, the role of a doctor is characterised by their capacity to assume ultimate responsibility for a patient’s care. The team will therefore look to the doctor for leadership in designing and supervising the patients overall health care plan.

Medical practice is characterised by taking responsibility for overall clinical outcomes. As a result, doctors are uniquely placed to take on leadership roles, including management and leadership of health services, and in the wider management and leadership of the organisations that they work in.

Doctors are trained in both basic and clinical sciences in great depth, throughout the spectrum of body systems and to an extremely high level of scientific rigour. This is combined with study in the behavioural and social sciences, with procedural skills, and with complex cognitive skills including problem-solving, clinical assessment, diagnosis, risk-management, ethics, cultural values, communication skills and professionalism.
Basic training exposes the doctor to all aspects of human pathophysiology, throughout the spectrum of illness and injury. The scope of training includes all speciality areas(paramedics).
This degree of certification and confidence cannot be substituted by on-the-job exposure by other health practitioners – there is no substitute for the extensive knowledge of clinical science and the full range of clinical skills that underpin medical practice.

Respect our doctors, treat them right... Its obvious paramedics can't do without them.

JOHESU shall be held responsible if EBola is let loose in Nigeria.

This issue has been over flogged... I rest my case.

I rep naija!

5 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Cityguy: 3:03pm On Aug 07, 2014
spikesC:

You see, there's a very big difference between me and you.
I am educated. i know and acknowledge the hierarchical structure in the employment system, inclusive and not limited to the health sector.
And I know and acknowledge the existing division of labour which stems from the tertiary educational system.

But you, my friend, is an opposite of me.
Not just that you're an illiterate, you're also ignorant and unwilling to learn.
You've concluded from my educative post that i am a doctor and am objecting that am superior in all medical branches, notwithstanding my acceptance of division and specialization in field of studies.
Also, you've resorted to blatant unnecessary insults instead of countering my objective statement.
Well, sorry about that. It's funny how some supposedly 'learned' Nigerians find it difficult to be decorous in conversations, esp in a faceless forum like this. I salute your patience in spite of this 'agbero' mentality of some, not all of us. Kudos.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by rotadeco27: 4:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
THis is d time our pharmacists and laboratory scientists should show. Case their professionallism.they are scientists and not clinician thus stop struggling wt drs in d hospitals but invade research institutes wea they can ave any title dey want (consultant inclusive) nd b more relavant nd productive.if NMA now come out dat they want to b leading govt owned pharmacaetical industries or researchcentre , then they are tresspassing.But for hospitals drs are d oga @ d top.govts SH d provide necessary protective wears b4 NMA call off if not ......

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Arosam(m): 5:01pm On Aug 07, 2014
dumodust:

thank you very much
on other hand, the u.s govt has been funding research on ebola since it was discovered and to show you how they care about their citizens and docs, they flew in those infected docs one at a time to treat them, literally importing ebola into the u.s shocked but under controlled conditions.

try to look for gloves in a nigerian hospital, someone will either be hoarding it or eat the money allocated. we are not prepared for the ebola that has been ravaging west african countries for a while now. we dont have enough gear and facilities for barrier care. your government is a joke
in my opinion, no doctor should attend to anyone without provided protective gear and improved conditions... they dont pay enough and people dont appreciate you enough to do that. and to think that we were being castigated for demanding for better hospitals and global care.
now that ebola is around, the silence from johesu is deafening, even on nairaland. cant see that propagandist- 'yourhealthlabs' springing up threads... them don run. now everybody's pushing doctors forward because they know next to nothing about what to do... but they want you to die doing it quoting greed at every instance when you demand for better conditions.
they better come, we must all meet the ebola pts as team players, pharmacist must come and give drugs. team players my foot.
meanwhile RIP to those nigerians killed by ebola... sorry to say so,i feel you guys at first contact did a great job, but sadly, u died in vain. may God grant u eternal peace

I thought a Nurse was also infected
Other Health workers has always been Team players, only MDs seems to think otherwise!

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Arosam(m): 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2014
dumodust:

thank you very much

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ralph101: 5:18pm On Aug 07, 2014
mployer:
They are bunch of idiots for wanting to impeach an honest man.
So they want to remain on strike in this critical moment?
Typical African greed.
U r an ignorant nicompoop..he has been bribed and deserves to be impeached
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ceaser: 5:33pm On Aug 07, 2014
mployer: Foreign doctors are in Africa fighting epidemic and African doctors are seated at home in the name of strike angry

Smh. These foreign doctors are well taken care of by their respective governments. Nigerians are the bane of their own problems, really. Rather than shout on your leaders to act right and stop mismanaging the resources meant for all Nigerians on the few of them and their families, including medical tourism in India and the likes, you'd rather turn the barrel of your protest and insult cannons on the people you're in the same boat with.

Now look at this clear cut scenario:
The US in partnership with the Samaritan's purse sent in their physicians to Liberia to combat Ebola scourge. Not just the men were sent, but their families were equally sponsored down to Africa and made well comfortable. Every need was provided for - foods, clothings, security, and protective gears.
However in the line of duty, they got infected. But what happened? Their responsible leaders convinced that they'd be better cared for in their home country sent air ambulance to convey them back one after the other (note that they were not packed in like sardines) for adequate management. Guess what, the two docs are improving by the day.

Now come back to your backyard in Lagos, Nigeria. A doctor and a nurse working in one of the most standard private hospitals in the country got infected with same in the line of duty. The government could have done something with the immense wealth at it's disposal. Either taking that incident as a motivation to bring in Nigerian professors of virology and other brains, providing them with equipments and whatever is needed to set our own research in motion. Remember that we've recorded some breakthroughs in virology in the country thru the Human Institute of Virology at Jos, courtesy of major fundings from USAID, WHO and world bank. However, it was a hopeless case for those two infected health workers. One of them died yesterday. The other is still battling for her life. Remember that they both got infected at an international standard private hospital (usually patronised by our politicians for same reason as above) with presumably better facilities than is provided by your government in it's own hospitals.

So please with the above realities, which government will you be willing to work for?

And before you go on invoking "humanitarianism" and "hippocratic oath" in your defense and rejoinder, take time to ponder on why the US brought back her doctors from the humanitarian quest and why the Samaritans purse is equally considering withdrawing her workers. You can't send people to their death when you don't show that you care about them. Why has mutiny taken the seat next to our gallant soldiers being sent to fight off boko haram insurgents

5 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by mployer(m): 6:22pm On Aug 07, 2014
ceaser:

Smh. These foreign doctors are well taken care of by their respective governments. Nigerians are the bane of their own problems, really. Rather than shout on your leaders to act right and stop mismanaging the resources meant for all Nigerians on the few of them and their families, including medical tourism in India and the likes, you'd rather turn the barrel of your protest and insult cannons on the people you're in the same boat with.

Now look at this clear cut scenario:
The US in partnership with the Samaritan's purse sent in their physicians to Liberia to combat Ebola scourge. Not just the men were sent, but their families were equally sponsored down to Africa and made well comfortable. Every need was provided for - foods, clothings, security, and protective gears.
However in the line of duty, they got infected. But what happened? Their responsible leaders convinced that they'd be better cared for in their home country sent air ambulance to convey them back one after the other (note that they were not packed in like sardines) for adequate management. Guess what, the two docs are improving by the day.

Now come back to your backyard in Lagos, Nigeria. A doctor and a nurse working in one of the most standard private hospitals in the country got infected with same in the line of duty. The government could have done something with the immense wealth at it's disposal. Either taking that incident as a motivation to bring in Nigerian professors of virology and other brains, providing them with equipments and whatever is needed to set our own research in motion. Remember that we've recorded some breakthroughs in virology in the country thru the Human Institute of Virology at Jos, courtesy of major fundings from USAID, WHO and world bank. However, it was a hopeless case for those two infected health workers. One of them died yesterday. The other is still battling for her life. Remember that they both got infected at an international standard private hospital (usually patronised by our politicians for same reason as above) with presumably better facilities than is provided by your government in it's own hospitals.

So please with the above realities, which government will you be willing to work for?

And before you go on invoking "humanitarianism" and "hippocratic oath" in your defense and rejoinder, take time to ponder on why the US brought back her doctors from the humanitarian quest and why the Samaritans purse is equally considering withdrawing her workers. You can't send people to their death when you don't show that you care about them. Why has mutiny taken the seat next to our gallant soldiers being sent to fight off boko haram insurgents

what sense exactly are you making? That staying at home is all the doctors can offer? Stay at home and wait for ebola to come and wipe out you and your family because you have issues with the government? How is that different from suicide. A lot of us are educated but still with little brain.

I am not a fan of the government but this issue is beyong government palava. Ebola is not programmed to kill only government officials, everybody is a potential victim.

I know the government is not doing the best but doctors has something to contribute as our concerned brothers. They should start by being available first. I mean call off the strike.

They are not dealing with the government, they are failing us. We show them much respect in the society, treated them like kings on campus but this is the reward we get. Please take government out of this, the doctors have failed us.

In the previous news, they were demanding for special number plate so we can recognise them in an accident scene, of what use is that recognition to us when they are not ready to offer the least of help. It is all about feeding their over-bloated ego and demanding more cash

Its a shame and highest point of greed and ignorance.

Thank God ebola doesnt know who a doctor is. Lets watch.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Morotov1(m): 6:26pm On Aug 07, 2014
Seems JOHESU guys are busy with Ebola, cos since it broke out their members has not been active.
@ NMA is standing on a shaky ground now. Hope they get back in single piece.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by mployer(m): 6:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
ralph101:
U r an ignorant nicompoop..he has been bribed and deserves to be impeached
Yes, the government bribed him so he can save your as.s from impending epidemic, yet ignorant you want him impeached.

I think that is what being smart mean to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Ways To Maintain Weight Loss / Crippled And Partly Blind Man In Osun (Photos) / Resident Doctors Declare Total & Indefinite Strike, List 8 Demands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.