Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,560 members, 7,885,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 07:24 AM

My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM (2935 Views)

So Whats The Best rpm to cruise with your car errday / My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates / Which Automatic Transmission Fluid For My 1999 V6 Camry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 8:23am On Aug 17, 2014
Please I need your assistance auto gurus. My 1999 Rav4 increases its RPM on its own. In the morning, it might idle at 1000 rpm, it will be steady without any rough idle, when I drive off and lets say on reaching a traffic and I switch my gear selector to neutral, it goes high from 1600 to 1800. I might be forced to go back to drive so as to reduce its RPM. Lets say after the days' work, it will idle at 800 to 700. My mechanic doesn't know what to do cos all he does is to manually adjust the RPM to 1000 anytime I come, but as soon as I leave, it adjusts its RPM on its own. Please help, all contributions are welcome. Thanks
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by mayor2013: 8:38am On Aug 17, 2014
Do you have the check engine light on, if yes then run a comprehensive scan. Am looking at your car having a problem with its idle control system. But go ahead and run a scan
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 8:44am On Aug 17, 2014
Yes, I have the check engine light on. I will run a scan and get back with the codes. Thanks Mayor2013

Please anyone that knows where I can run a scan in Enugu should please let me know. Thanks
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 17, 2014
I always say, just because a car still DRIVES with a CEL illuminated does NOT mean all is well. You should NOT drive a car in that state. If the idle issues didn't crop up, you would have simply ignored the warning light.

Definitely get your car scanned for DTC's. And for Pete's sake, change your "mechanic". Any "mechanic" who decides to mask an inherent issue by "adjusting" the idle speed, which is factory set, and controlled by the ECU should NOT even be allowed to grease the wheel bearings on a wheel barrow.

4 Likes

Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 10:01am On Aug 17, 2014
Thanks Sienna. I will scan and get back with the codes obtained. Once more, thank you very much, I appreciate.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
anochuks08: Please I need your assistance auto gurus. My 1999 Rav4 increases its RPM on its own. In the morning, it might idle at 1000 rpm, it will be steady without any rough idle, when I drive off and lets say on reaching a traffic and I switch my gear selector to neutral, it goes high from 1600 to 1800. I might be forced to go back to drive so as to reduce its RPM. Lets say after the days' work, it will idle at 800 to 700. My mechanic doesn't know what to do cos all he does is to manually adjust the RPM to 1000 anytime I come, but as soon as I leave, it adjusts its RPM on its own. Please help, all contributions are welcome. Thanks
Your 1999 rav4 engine should have a 3s-fe engine, normally when you start your car in the morning your engine rpm will be high (about 1000rpm~12000rpm) in about 5-10mons it would have dropped to normal (700~800rpm). Provided your thermostat is NOT removed and your fans are not blowing constantly you should expect normal RPM in 5-10mins. Unfortunately most car users in nigeria remove their thermostats and put their fans on full speed and this might cause a delay b4 your RPM returns to normal.

Your coolant temp sensor(pics attached) tells the "brain box" the current temp of the engine, if it constantly reports a cool temp the rpm will continue to run high and the engine will continue to run rich until it can achieve a temp of about 82degrees Celsius.

Your car is also fitted with an idle air speed valve(pics attached), which is located on the throttle body, the valve adjusts the rpm of your engine by regulating vacuum from the intake. The idle speed valve gets dirty after a while and as a result gets stuck.
The valve is controlled by the "brain box"

Throttle body(last pic)White coloured component=(IACV)

My recommendations

Run a scan on your vehicle

Check for any leaking vaccum pipes or hoses

Check that your coolant temp sensor is connected properly and is functional.

Open and service idle speed valve,( all that is required is a can of carburettor cleaner.) Replace if its defective (3,000 max)

Best of luck.

Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 1:31pm On Aug 17, 2014
Thanks Gazzuzz. I appreciate.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by sultaan(m): 6:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
Look in the engine for a vacuum leak or cracked black hose near the engine you might be able to hear engine hiss or take a couple of close pictures of the engine and we'll point out if anything is missing.

I think your mechanic worked on the car and left it unplugged.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 1:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
went for a scan and got ISO 9141-2. The person that did the scan said its the injector mouth. the image of what he pointed out is the 3rd picture posted by gazzuzz
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
anochuks08: went for a scan and got ISO 9141-2. The person that did the scan said its the injector mouth. the image of what he pointed out is the 3rd picture posted by gazzuzz

Iso 9141-2 is not a scan result, its a n obdII protocol.

I hope your problem has been solved?
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Iso 9141-2 is not a scan result, its a n obdII protocol.

I hope your problem has been solved?
No, I learnt my lessons already. I told the guy not to change it, that I will get back to him. That means I will go for another scan some where else.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by mayor2013: 5:41pm On Aug 19, 2014
Are you in lagos? Call this number to run a scan 08165520837 or 08156087872
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 10:45pm On Aug 19, 2014
mayor2013: Are you in lagos? Call this number to run a scan 08165520837 or 08156087872
That's the problem. Am in Enugu
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by chikasin4(m): 4:59am On Aug 21, 2014
I know of somebody at coal camp dat can scan ur car his name is Emeka 08022718456. He hv scanned my car. Just call him
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Bossmd: 7:45am On Aug 21, 2014
mayor2013: Are you in lagos? Call this number to run a scan 08165520837 or 08156087872

Honestly I think it's better for one to just get his own scanning tool. I called that no for scanning and the dude said he'll collect 7k just to scan my car, imagine. It's not as if he will fix any issues oh, and the scanner may not even interprete the codes sef. Taah!

Some Scanners cost just 14k which will become your property and you can use anytime.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:15am On Aug 21, 2014
Bossmd:

Honestly I think it's better for one to just get his own scanning tool. I called that no for scanning and the dude said he'll collect 7k just to scan my car, imagine. It's not as if he will fix any issues oh, and the scanner may not even interprete the codes sef. Taah!

Some Scanners cost just 14k which will become your property and you can use anytime.

I don't think you are being fair to mayor2013, not every one scans with a 14k scanner, some of the scanners I use cost more than 350k, and its not just about scanning a car, interpreting the results requires knowlede and experience you can't develop it over night. Buying your own scanner is a good idea infact I encourage every car user to have one, but a 25k scanner will only scan your engine module in most japanese cars,scanning transmision might be vague in some cases.

I know of a lot of workshops what would charge much more if you took your vehicle there, and would charge seprately for the repair work, and you might have to wait a while.

1 Like

Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Bossmd: 12:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I don't think you are being fair to mayor2013, not every one scans with a 14k scanner, some of the scanners I use cost more than 350k, and its not just about scanning a car, interpreting the results requires knowlede and experience you can't develop it over night. Buying your own scanner is a good idea infact I encourage every car user to have one, but a 25k scanner will only scan your engine module in most japanese cars,scanning transmision might be vague in some cases.

I know of a lot of workshops what would charge much more if you took your vehicle there, and would charge seprately for the repair work, and you might have to wait a while.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Bossmd: 12:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

@Bolded, Not at all, No pun intended.
It's our money sir....everyone goes for the best shots economically.

@Gazzuzz with all due respect are you aware that there are now new age Bluetooth OBD Scanners that work with Smartphones? Some even work with Diesel powered Automobiles. The world has gone digital. They come much more cheaper than their analogue wired counterparts and very efficient too. Some cost as little as $35!

Except I'm a core engineer who's into Full time Auto diagnostics, I don't see myself shelling as much as 350k on Car Diagnostic tools. So if this 350k tool diagnoses a faulty O2 Sensor, will it buy and fix the O2 Sensor automatically?
If it won't then is it worth that much?

2 Likes

Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by chikasin4(m): 4:10pm On Aug 21, 2014
Or Anochukwu i also own a small bluethooth ELM 324 scanner and also live at Enugu. I can scan it for free for u if u want. Cheers
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
* Every car owner should try and own his own diagnostic tool.

* Good services do not usually come cheap.

* bluetooth ELM327 scanners have limited functionality and will not even connect to serveral makes of vehicles. (E.g peugeot 406)

* No one likes paying for a scan without getting the actual work done, in that case make an arrangement with the individual for a comprehensive job.

Peace.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 10:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
Thanks Chikason, I will give you a call, but my car aint modern, are you sure any form of bluetooth connectivity will work on it? Am making plans to buy Maxscan OBDII/EOBD Scanner GS500. How good is this scanner?
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by chikasin4(m): 6:23am On Aug 22, 2014
anochuks08: Thanks Chikason, I will give you a call, but my car aint modern, are you sure any form of bluetooth connectivity will work on it? Am making plans to buy Maxscan OBDII/EOBD Scanner GS500. How good is this scanner?
I don't know much about Maxscan Obd II and u can google it to know mo, but my small bluetooth elm scanner which i purchased #4500 at konga is servin m although it cant check for airbag, abs, etc. But it haso functions than my previous D900 version 2013 model I buy for #12000 last yr from lagos. Ir uses a software from my techno Android phone. U re welcomed. Gudluck
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Experience4u(m): 1:03am On Apr 19, 2015
chikasin4:
Or Anochukwu i also own a small bluethooth ELM 324 scanner and also live at Enugu. I can scan it for free for u if u want. Cheers
Chikason, can you help me scan my car, it has a check engine light and consumes more fuel. I reside in Enugu. Thanks
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 11:42pm On Apr 19, 2015
Experience4u:

Chikason, can you help me scan my car, it has a check engine light and consumes more fuel. I reside in Enugu. Thanks
I can help you scan n get you the trouble codes.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Experience4u(m): 11:46pm On Apr 19, 2015
anochuks08:
I can help you scan n get you the trouble codes.
Please can I have your contact so as to call you. Thanks
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by anochuks08(m): 12:00am On Apr 20, 2015
Experience4u:

Please can I have your contact so as to call you. Thanks
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by TUDEXautoCARE(m): 3:55am On Apr 20, 2015
Just patiently and Quietly going through the conversation. Getting a scanner is not a big deal, it is just like you getting a phone. But the big deal is the knowledge U require to know how to operate and if U even know how to operate it can U interpret the result. As said by the GAZZUZ scanners are of difft categories ranging. Form the N4,500 ELM 327, Autel ms 501, md 801, md 802, Launch creader viii, Vii, Vi, vi, Launch x431 Diagun, Launch iv, Master, AutoBoss V30 computer based, AutoSnap. Autel MaxiDAS 708. All these come with difft prices. So u cannot expect someone with a Scan tool that cost nothing less than 200K to still scan for a lesser amount of 5K like the case of person that got ELM327 for 4500. Part of the Scanner can go bad @ any time like the cable, the Charger or the battery or the Scanner itself.
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by Experience4u(m): 8:03am On Apr 20, 2015
anochuks08:

Thanks, will call you
Re: My 1999 Rav4 Increases Its RPM by naijadrivablog: 8:39am On Nov 26, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
Your 1999 rav4 engine should have a 3s-fe engine, normally when you start your car in the morning your engine rpm will be high (about 1000rpm~12000rpm) in about 5-10mons it would have dropped to normal (700~800rpm). Provided your thermostat is NOT removed and your fans are not blowing constantly you should expect normal RPM in 5-10mins. Unfortunately most car users in nigeria remove their thermostats and put their fans on full speed and this might cause a delay b4 your RPM returns to normal.

Your coolant temp sensor(pics attached) tells the "brain box" the current temp of the engine, if it constantly reports a cool temp the rpm will continue to run high and the engine will continue to run rich until it can achieve a temp of about 82degrees Celsius.

Your car is also fitted with an idle air speed valve(pics attached), which is located on the throttle body, the valve adjusts the rpm of your engine by regulating vacuum from the intake. The idle speed valve gets dirty after a while and as a result gets stuck.
The valve is controlled by the "brain box"

Throttle body(last pic)White coloured component=(IACV)

My recommendations

Run a scan on your vehicle

Check for any leaking vaccum pipes or hoses

Check that your coolant temp sensor is connected properly and is functional.

Open and service idle speed valve,( all that is required is a can of carburettor cleaner.) Replace if its defective (3,000 max)

Best of luck.

OK. saved

(1) (Reply)

AC Compressors For Toyota Camry 2007/2008 / Highlander 2006 Vs Lexus RX 330 / I Need A Mini Bus ( Korope ) On Hired Purchase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.