Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,852 members, 7,899,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 03:32 AM

Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History (969 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by millco88(f): 5:28pm On Oct 22, 2008
Babanginda
Abiola
Abacha
Ezikwe
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Fhemmmy: 8:43pm On Oct 22, 2008
Zik
Abacha
Awolowo = Dont realy dig the guy though, but he kinda brought the yoruba together in a way that cant be compromised.
Ojukwu = made Nigeria sweat
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by dayokanu(m): 2:42am On Oct 23, 2008
Enahoro- Father of Nigeria
Abiola - Was the subject of the most important issue in Nigerian history till date
Awolowo - A Stateman that led and was loved by his people
IBB - Marked the change in fortunes

Notable mention
Ahmadu Bello - Controlled the country in the earlier time
Macaulay - Fought for Independence
Ojukwu - Brought the civil war
Abacha - Darkest days
Gowon - President at the peak of the Nigerian Boom
OBJ - Ruled twice Handed to civilians
Nzeogwu - Brought Division and ethnic suspicion that we have till date
Azikwe- I dont know ( His face on one of the notes)

Not worthy of being mentioned

Shonekan
Shagari
Balewa
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 23, 2008
Dk

I think Awo should have topped that list

He was the Ideal Nigerian leader in his time.

Awolowo

Ahmadu Bello

Mohammed

Abiola.

I know some people will want to mention the self-servicer IKEMBA
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by boyscout: 9:15am On Oct 23, 2008
@darefestus

You can not help to mention him. You do admire him . Give him his dues grin cheesy grin
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by RichyBlacK(m): 9:19am On Oct 23, 2008
** Fela Anikulapo-Kuti (legend, maestro, prophet, activist, impresario extraordinaire, mentor)
** Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (untiring nationalist, pan-Africanist, Zikist, political visionary, grammarian)
** Chinua Achebe (consummate novelist, activist, scholar extraordinaire, man of letters)
** Wole Soyinka (Nobel laureate, irrepressible activist, literary genius, man of conscience)
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Okijajuju1(m): 9:52am On Oct 23, 2008
Gen. Sani Abacha - Gangstar. Killed all who opposed him. Kept everyone in check

Gen. Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo - Ruled as a military leader and civilian ruler. Tried to break history by going for a third tenure.

Gen. Ibrahim Badamusi Babangida - Ruled for 9 years. Stole loads of money and is still as free as a dove in the sky.

Col. Odimegwu Ojukwu - Civil war
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by MCUsman(m): 10:38am On Oct 23, 2008
Abdul-Ganiyu "Gani" Oyesola Fawehinmi : the people's president the greatest Nigeria that ever lived never received the deserved recognition

Tafawa Balewa : lived a honest & corrupt free life assassinated by a slowpoke.

Aminu Kano: Would have been the best president Fought for Talakawas

Abiola Monshood : Philantropist but ventured into wrong side (politics)
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Jarus(m): 11:11am On Oct 23, 2008
I go like this:
1,Abiola: Highly loved and respected in Nigeria, Africa and indeed the world over. Learnt, but not confirmed, that he entered freely where even presidents cannot just enter(white house etc). Defeated Tofa in his native Kano state.Detribalized; loved by all tribes. Pillar of sports in Africa.
2,Ahmadu Bello Though commanded influence only in the north, held the north together and highly respected
3,Awolowo Had yorubaland in his pocket. So influential that people used his name to win elections till 2003, years after his death, until PDP came with their abracadabra and demystify the whole thing. Like Bello, influence also regional

4, To throw a coin between:
Ojukwu Led the Igbo nation to war. What more?
and
Zik: Another influential personality but I think for Ojukwu to have been able to lead Igbos to war, ojukwu apears more influential.

Honourable mention:
IBB: Sacred cow any day!!! So influential that nobody(EFCC,Oputa,ICPC or whatever ) dare not attempt to go near him. People talk and talk and talk against him, but he still goes around the country freely

Gani, Soyinka and others are only widely respected, not as influential. I define influential in the context of ability to control multitude.
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 23, 2008
Ife-eco-06

Nice one too. . , .

But i dont think the zik is quite influential

I woulda preferred Anthony Enahoro

@Boyscout

What do you mean by paying Ikemba his dues!

I owe him no respect - He might be famous amongst the Igbo's but to me

He was a coward!

Thank God i wasn't born when he led the revolt.

The man is a Psychopath.
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 23, 2008
darefestus:

Dk

I think Awo should have topped that list

He was the Ideal Nigerian leader in his time.

Awolowo

Ahmadu Bello

Mohammed

Abiola.

Don't worry, no reasonable person will mention the "coward" IKEMBA; after all, the topic is about your nigeria and not about Igbos or Biafra.

@topic- Is it suppose to be regional or nationally, because some people are already mentioning the unknown kings their various villages. grin

1. Gani
2. Oshiomole.
3. IBB (he made the list because nigerians are cowards and don't like good things).
4. Dangote.
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by boyscout: 12:29pm On Oct 23, 2008
@Darefestus

@Boyscout

What do you mean by paying Ikemba his dues!

I owe him no respect - He might be famous amongst the Igbo's but to me

He was a coward!

Thank God i wasn't born when he led the revolt.

The man is a Psychopath.

Are you really mad at Ikemba, The Dim himself , Ezegburuburu. Haba go back to History from His days in Kings you will reckon the man had a date with history and fulfilled it.
Honestly I am getting to see that you admire him more than many of us. Possibly pride will not allow you admit it. grin
Anyway I like your style. grin
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by DRANOEL(m): 2:10pm On Oct 23, 2008
if we must be objective then the list should be thus:

1. shehu uthman dan fodio = spread islam to most parts of northern nigeria and parts of western nigeria,had a godlike figure in his days

2. ibrahim babangida = though very controversial is nigeria's most charismatic leader,has a kind of myth around him and is a favourite press topic

3. ahmadu bello,zik,awolowo = for obvious reasons though one or two of them is tribalistic

4. dangote = richest black person on earth,biggest employer of labour asides government
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Hugger: 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2008
Babangida - Horrible influence
Abiola - Influenced a shift in thinking and created a landmark in politics
Awolowo
Azikwe

Porbably Aminu Kanu as well
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by OBVIOUS(m): 2:39pm On Oct 23, 2008
I like Richyblack's list.

I would add "Gani" Oyesola Fawehinmi, Awolowo, and Abiola. I would also add Fela Kuti's mother.
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2008
@Dranoel

You are the tribalist here!

Only Zik and Awo are not from the north in your list

Something tells me you are a tribalist.
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by DRANOEL(m): 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2008
@darefestus

thisday newspapers gave the nost influential nigerian of the century to dan fodio,dangote you cant argue with forbes,the three muskerteers you cant argue maybe you can argue babangida.
what has tribalism got to do with my list(must everything be regional?) i expect you to run down the list using intelligent points
Re: Top 4 Influential Nigerians in History by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 23, 2008
Dranoel

I'll go with james bond - Never believe everything you see or read in the press

Those things were make believe, We know who the influential Nigerians are. FACT

(1) (Reply)

Our Haughty Military Officers Still On Miss Uzoma Okere / China :Navy Leaves For Somali Waters Today To Tackle Pirates / Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.