Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,955 members, 7,873,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:23 AM

Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. (964 Views)

Ribadu Speaks On $15m Bribe From Ibori / Civil Servant Eating Amala And Fish While On Duty At Lagos High Court / Horrifying Pictures Of The Liberian Civil War. (caution) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by BOSS7: 9:22am On Jan 29, 2009
[center]Award for Liberian bribe 'hero' [/center]

An airport customs officer in Liberia has been honoured by the West African country's president for refusing a bribe from a Nigerian drug trafficker.

Richard Karyea was offered $20,000 (£14,000) to look the other way by a Nigerian smuggler trying to bring cocaine in to Liberia two years ago.
The sum was more than 1,300 times his $15 (£10) monthly salary but he refused and handed the man over to the police.

He was named Civil Servant of the Year 2008 and given a $1,000 (£700) prize.
Mr Karyea was honoured by President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf at a civil service awards ceremony in the capital Monrovia.

DVD player
After refusing the bribe in 2006, Mr Karyea was made redundant - he suspects his colleagues arranged to get rid of him.

But he has gone on to bigger and better things by landing a job as deputy chief examiner at the ministry of finance.
"It wasn't difficult to turn down the money," Mr Karyea told the BBC's Network Africa programme.
"If it took me 50 years to earn that money, I'd want my conscience. I will always want my conscience."
Mr Karyea said the drugs were hidden in a DVD player.
He called the owner of the package into his office and told him he was going to open it up.
"He grabbed my hand and said 'Ah! Oga-sir! Please don't'", said Mr Karyea.
But he suspects not all the officials are so honest at Roberts International Airport just outside Monrovia.
Later he saw the man boarding a plane to go back to Nigeria.
Even though it would have taken him many years to earn the same amount as the bribe he was offered, Mr Karyea is happy.
"Right now I'm rejoicing," he said.
West Africa has become a major waypoint for South American smugglers taking cocaine into Europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7855480.stm
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by BOSS7: 9:29am On Jan 29, 2009
Now this is what I call dedication. I wonder how many Nigerian Civil servants would be able to “look the other way” when offered a bribe 10times their salary.

That’s typical patriotism shown by the Liberian not the kind of lip-patriotism.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by JJYOU: 9:31am On Jan 29, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Now this is what I call dedication. I wonder how many Nigerian Civil servants would be able to “look the other way” when offered a bribe 10times their salary.

That’s typical patriotism shown by the Librarian not the kind of lip-patriotism.
not even your president
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by BOSS7: 9:49am On Jan 29, 2009
JJYOU:

not even your president
And I'm not didputing that at all.

Maybe in 50years time, I'll be able to see real patriotism displayed by my president.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by meexteriox(m): 10:06am On Jan 29, 2009
It will be extremely difficult for that to happen in Nigeria.
Most of our officers at border points (airport, land border, sea port)
bribe their way to get posted to this ''choice location''. Now imagine
somebody that spent a large sum of ''ill gotten money'' to get there,
refusing bribe. It's simply unthinkable.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by multebrain(m): 11:22am On Jan 29, 2009
god pls come down and save nigeria fromall this mess
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by sashbaby(f): 11:33am On Jan 29, 2009
i agree with you meex i hope our govt officials are taking a cue from that.instead they are busy dishing out awards to their croonies in crime
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by otokx(m): 12:23pm On Jan 29, 2009
was it not charles taylor that tried to bribe one immigration guy to escape and the guy did not agree na so dem arrest am. What award did that man get? i think it was a sack.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by BOSS7: 4:19pm On Jan 30, 2009
otokx:

was it not charles taylor that tried to bribe one immigration guy to escape and the guy did not agree na so dem arrest am. What award did that man get? i think it was a sack.

Are you sure?
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Jan 30, 2009
Give up $20,000?? shocked shocked
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by earTHMama: 4:25pm On Jan 30, 2009

true
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by MrCrackles(m): 4:30pm On Jan 30, 2009
Great!
Good to hear some folks outhere are not corrupt
! cheesy
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by BOSS7: 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2009
otokx:

Oh my gawd. So at least not all civil servants in Nigeria are corrupt then. I guess the government are actually encouraging corruption. Only if this guy who got the sack could sell his story to the BBC so as to make public the hypocrisy of our government. The endemic corruption in the Nigerian government.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by ilaugh1: 4:52pm On Jan 30, 2009
another stupid diasporian.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Jan 30, 2009
this dude is like the energizer bunny, he just keeps going and going and going!!!! never really stops to think much now, does he? roflmao!!
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by BOSS7: 5:00pm On Jan 30, 2009
i_laugh:

another stupid diasporian.

And another dumb idiot by the name i_clown.
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by grafikdon: 11:19pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobo and B.O.S.S . . . thou shalt not incur the wrath of the patriotic Nigerians. . . A paragraph is enough for the wise. . . grin lipsrsealed
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Jan 31, 2009
roflmao!!!
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by Jarus(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2009
Kobojunkie:

roflmao!!!
Kobo, u sabi laff oo grin grin
Records show that one 70% of ur posts contain ROFLMAO grin grin
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Jan 31, 2009
Jarus:

Kobo, u sabi laff oo grin grin
Records show that one 70% of ur posts contain ROFLMAO grin grin

Well, many of the posts on here are ROFLMAO funny! Better to laugh than to attack them for having an opinion to post on here, if you ask me. lol
Re: Liberian Refused Bribe From Nigerian Drug Smuggler Named Civil Servant Of Year. by chidichris(m): 2:07pm On Feb 01, 2009
some nigerian police officers can do that but the problem is that they will end up regreting their actions.
at the end of the day, his superior will take over the case and discharge the criminal taking the money the junior officer refused.
on the other hand, will yar adua or obj give u award for refusing bribe? answer is no. the only people who recieve in nigeria are the ubas and the adedibus. sometimes the ganis and achebes will be given honours as a way of telling them shut up.
nigeria jaga - jaga.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Former President Commits Suicide For Corruption! / Omar Bongo Dead In Spain :d / Breaking News: ! Acting President Dissolves Cabinet, All Ministers Sacked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.