Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,444 members, 7,884,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 07:30 PM

Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet (4238 Views)

Female Trekker From Enugu To Abuja Gets Warm Reception From NOA (photos) / Rochas Promises To Provide Free Education If Elected As President / How We Ended Up In A Man Made River In Owerri(enugu To Owerri) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 7:42pm On Oct 23, 2008
Enugu to provide free Wireless Internet
By Efem Nkanga, 10.23.2008
Thursday, October 23, 2008

ICT

In a move aimed at providing the citizens of Enugu State with access to communications, the Sullivan Chime administration is set to provide wireless internet at zero cost to the citizens of the state.

In furtherance of this objective, the Enugu State government has signed a memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Zinox Technologies, foremost technology in the country to provide access. The MoU, according to the state Commissioner for Science and Technology, Chuka Anyogu, will lead to enablement of free internet access in the state.

The internet access will ensure that every one with a computer or laptop needs not pay to get access to the world wide web. This initiative, which is in keeping with the strategy of the state government to provide information and communication access to every citizen of the state, according to him, will lead to the digitalisation of the state in no time.

The company, which signed the MoU, Zinox Technologies is known for spearheading the IT revolution with the introduction of the made in Nigeria brand of computers. Zinox, which currently produces over 1,000 computers per day is at the forefront of enabling the digitalisation of the country and has a project called the ‘Computerise Nigeria Initiative’, which is helping to gradually change the orientation of schools and offices and enabling a computer literate citizenry through the initiative.

The ‘Computerise Nigeria’ project is a non governmental organisation aimed at encouraging Nigerians and governments in Nigeria to adopt the computer as a major working and play equipment.

The Chairman of Zinox Technologies and the Computerise Nigeria project, Leo Stan Ekeh had at several fora warned that there was an urgent need to make Nigeria a participant in the emerging global knowledge economy.

He expressed the belief that because the educational system in Nigeria is not equipped to produce globally competitive graduates, the products of education in Nigeria could not guarantee the development of the country. According to him, Nigeria must, as a matter of urgency, shift emphasis from luxury goods to productive tools that would rehabilitate the educational policies and grow the nation’s economy.

Ekeh reiterated that the ‘Computerise Nigeria’ initiative had a mandate to meet the main objectives of setting up this NGO which is to drastically reduce the prices of computers in Nigeria and skill a lot of Nigerians in this area in order to turn Nigeria into a knowledge driven.

Zinox computers is expected to expand its production facility in the next one year in a bid to hit the target of 2,000 systems per day in order to meet the high increasing demand of the Zinox brand. Ekeh stated that Zinox has kept to it’s pledge of producing world-class PCs, servers, laptops and UPS that will help bridge the digital divide in Nigeria.

According to him, Zinox, computers over the years have overcome local skepticism for Made in Nigeria goods with multinationals standardising on our products.He added that the quality of the Zinox systems is made outstanding by the Zinox no-story warranty support policy, which is administered from 10 support centres in 10 branches across Nigeria.

He further reiterated that ‘’it is on record today that no other IT brand in Nigeria is supported by the vast network of branches like Zinox Computers. According to him, ‘’the quality of our products described by Microsoft as "surpassing international quality standards", at inception, has continued to grow, earning respect for Nigeria in the process.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/oct/23/204.html
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 7:43pm On Oct 23, 2008
Nigerian govt and stupid projects. How can you provide free internet access to a whole state and believe the company will not run out of gas?
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by plusQueen: 10:50pm On Oct 23, 2008
are zinox computers the aba made computers I've heard about on nairaland?
I hope they don't catch fire
I'm scared of anything Nigerian made.
If houses and bridges lees than 2 years old can collapse,komputa fit disintegrate
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by naijaking1: 2:49am On Oct 24, 2008
I am happy about the free, hopefully available internet in Enugu and Nigeria
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Oct 24, 2008
Yahoo boyz have found a new place to do business with free internet access and skype!! woohooo!!
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 3:36am On Oct 24, 2008
Yahoo boyz do not need free internet to operate.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by tundysho(m): 4:00am On Oct 24, 2008
These stupid politicians bring up several bogos projects,that will not last few months,leaving out the basic things people need like, elctricity,clean water,road construction

The most common occupation in that part of the country is trade and commerce,what will be important to them now is power and good network of roads,not internert
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:28am On Oct 24, 2008
tundysho:

These stupid politicians bring up several bogos projects,that will not last few months,leaving out the basic things people need like, elctricity,clean water,road construction

The most common occupation in that part of the country is trade and commerce,what will be important to them now is power and good network of roads,not internert

You are spot on. The only problem is that electricity dammed from Niger River must be shared with Mali et el, otherwise they will dam upstream and Nigeria would be more in the dark. They are supposed to build a super dam in Congo that is supposed to help power all of West Africa, Similar to the Three Gorges Dam in China.

But this internet initiative is a good one, hopefully it will be sustainable.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Eziachi: 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2008
Why not give people that hasn't got a car, some tyres as a present, that will cheer them up. Sometimes I wonder the type of planet NIGERIA rulers came out from?
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by bawomolo(m): 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2008
it's not a bad thing if it's partly or for the most part funded by private ventures. people let's not get too critical
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On Oct 24, 2008
Yeah… We all know how “PRIVATE” seems to translate PUBLIC in Nigeria. Before you know it, we will start reading of millions being pumped into the same “INNITIATIVE” by the Enugu government and how it was never found. Roflmao!!
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by pie1ect(m): 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2008
Just when you think a Nigerian leader couldn't do anything more stupid than what's already been done, Sullivan Chime proves you wrong.

Let me ask:

1. Since when did governments become involved in the provision of internet services (wireless or wired)?

2. Did their network security consultant inform them of the dangers wireless internet poses, and if he/she has, do they have any plans to warn the citizens who'll be putting their files and personal information out there for anyone to steal?

3. By the way, how many people will really benefit from this economically?

4. How does this translate to a better quality of life for the citizens of Enugu state, some of whom actually pay taxes on meagre salaries?

5. How does this positively affect the standard of living for the citizens of that state? How will it translate to food on the table, to jobs, to better health and safety of the people?

6. How does this provide a [b]sustainable [/b]source of revenue for the government of Enugu?

These are questions we should be asking our leaders to provide, not getting sucked into these politics of distraction.
It's really beginning to irk me the way these guys are mortgaging our future and the future of our children yet unborn.

This project will go the way of so many before it and we know where the money will end.

1 Like

Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by ifyalways(f): 11:04pm On Oct 24, 2008
Is this move really necessary Now?
who actually wud benefit from this at the end of it?
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by bawomolo(m): 12:30am On Oct 25, 2008
there are towns in connection with ISP providers in the US that provide free wi-fi. this has been done before. give it a chance

ifyalways:

Is this move really necessary Now?
who actually would benefit from this at the end of it?

benefits, reduces cost for businesses, useful in schools etc.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 12:36am On Oct 25, 2008
there are towns in connection with ISP providers in the US that provide free wi-fi. this has been done before. give it a chance
Sure?. Internet is still a luxury somehow and i do not think it should be govt's affair right now in Nigeria. Use that money and fund the libraries.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Kobojunkie: 12:46am On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

Dude. . .  there are also towns without connections with ISP providers in the same USA. . . Why? I would say they have so many other things up their priority lists than FREE WIFI. Is Free WIFI really necessary at this time in ENUGU STATE? I am speaking here of a state that is still without really good water access and electricity to all it's citizens. Are they really crying for FREE WIFI?
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by tundysho(m): 12:56am On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

There is absolutely no basis for comparing any American state with Enugu state,ok

The Basic amenities that will make life much more meaningful is not there in Enugu ,then you re talking of Wi-Fi.The level of education in that region will even make the people ponder a little longer what it is maent for
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 1:13am On Oct 25, 2008

There is absolutely no basis for comparing any American state with Enugu state,ok

The Basic amenities that will make life much more meaningful is not there in Enugu ,then you re talking of Wi-Fi.The level of education in that region will even make the people ponder a little longer what it is maent for
Good point.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by ifyalways(f): 1:57am On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

lol
which schools?which biz?
when we dont have drinking water,epileptic light,pot-hole ridden roads,no food,no work for graduates and the best the govt can come up with NOW is this?this is more like placing the cart before the horse embarassed
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by bawomolo(m): 2:28am On Oct 25, 2008
tundysho:

huh, we should we compare enugu with timbuktu, isn't part of vision 2020 to be up there with other developing nations like china that boost of technological advanced cities. this is the technological age. computer literacy and knowledge of the internet are becoming important part of the workplace etc. internet access would lead to proper data collection in schools, government agencies etc, businesses could use money meant for paying high priced ISP providers to create more jobs. this would be a great idea if it is funded by PRIVATE INITIATIVE, it has been done in other countries and can be done in Nigeria.

I am speaking here of a state that is still without really good water access and electricity to all it's citizens

technology is a need, you are not going to attract much investment(foreign or indigenous) with a poor communication network, this is a great advertising tool for Enugu. As for good water access and electricity, the problem is usually local state commissioners who EMBEZZLE funds. maybe nigerians should start to question their state commissioners and reps before bitching and whining about basic amenities.

Sure?. Internet is still a luxury somehow and i do not think it should be govt's affair right now in Nigeria. Use that money and fund the libraries.

don't you think it's shameful internet is a luxury in a country that loves to brag about it's foreign reserves and budget surplus. what modern libraries today are ran with the use of the internet. lots of universities in the developed world have resources available in their library websites that are accessible for free without PHYSICALLY entering the library. the internet is a very useful too that shouldn't be put on the backburner .
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Kobojunkie: 3:00am On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

huh, we should we compare enugu with timbuktu, isn't part of vision 2020 to be up there with other developing nations like china that boost of technological advanced cities. this is the technological age. computer literacy and knowledge of the internet are becoming important part of the workplace etc. internet access would lead to proper data collection in schools, government agencies etc, businesses could use money meant for paying high priced ISP providers to create more jobs. this would be a great idea if it is funded by PRIVATE INITIATIVE, it has been done in other countries and can be done in Nigeria.

technology is a need, you are not going to attract much investment(foreign or indigenous) with a poor communication network, this is a great advertising tool for Enugu. As for good water access and electricity, the problem is usually local state commissioners who EMBEZZLE funds. maybe nigerians should start to question their state commissioners and reps before bitching and whining about basic amenities.

don't you think it's shameful internet is a luxury in a country that loves to brag about it's foreign reserves and budget surplus. what modern libraries today are ran with the use of the internet. lots of universities in the developed world have resources available in their library websites that are accessible for free without PHYSICALLY entering the library. the internet is a very useful too that shouldn't be put on the backburner .

Here is the situation. So far, no one is saying that IF this is a PRIVATE INNITIATIVE, it is wrong. No one. I read that article and I see the same exact thing I have seen before where Nigeria is concerened, and that is government SPENDING money,it is supposed to use to ovide such things as amenities, on projects that matter to less than 0.01% of the people. We have seen such programs in the past and I am betting this is no different.

I understand how essential internet access is to education in the information world we live in, but I also have to remind myself of what the internet has so far helped do to Nigeria ( now I am in no way blaming the internet). We have some of the highest rates when it comes to internet crime, in that same country. Is Enugu trying to compete with Lagos for attention when it comes to yahoozees or something?? lol. Does giving more people access to the internet without some sort of regulation in place to ensure we are not basically recruiting more online criminals and arming them with free unbridled access to the WWW help?? lol

Free access is good for education when education is EQUIPPED to apply FREE WIFI. Most of the schools in Enugu do not have computer labs. Does FREE WIFI automatically make those available?? And will it also cause electricity to materialize to power the magic computer labs? How many people ACTUALLY own computers in Enugu, with WLAN to gain access to FREE WIFI? We have seen these sort of moves before now. One particular example that comes to mind is the move by Obasanjo to purchase millions of dollars worth of equipment (ie transformers) for non existent power supply and where did that end up?? This seems like another one of the white elephant projects government in Nigeriais known for, and I really hope public money is being used wisely here.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by bawomolo(m): 5:19am On Oct 25, 2008
not arguing with you, the question is if public money would be used for this
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by udezue(m): 6:16am On Oct 25, 2008
I love it and hope they will actually do it not all that talk.

Whoever is against must be STUPID. U enjoy internet access wherever u are but dey vex coz Enugu ppl are getting it too. And we wonder why Nigeria can never progress. People see something going to another section they get mad and try to criticize it but I betcha if it was their own town or state they will be joyful.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 8:49am On Oct 25, 2008
not arguing with you, the question is if public money would be used for this

Internet is very important for education today but we need books, chairs, classrooms, roads, electricity more than internet. If you need internet badly, pay for it.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 25, 2008
A good initiative i say, so far the government does not get too involved financially. Instead of condemning the program, i would rather encourage the government to as well put more effort in proving other social amenities for her people.

It is actually sad  that people will discredit this initiative because of their fears of rise in number of on-line criminals and because of how past leaders messed up in similar cases before. These fellows forgot to mention the numerous gains like bawomolo did.

People do not even know why nigeria is such in a sorry state; its simply because of lack of various and more reliable sources of information. A country where 80% of the masses get their info from NTA?
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by pie1ect(m): 12:25pm On Oct 25, 2008
If the money is not public money, then I' fine with it. But if the government are going to be funding it, It's complete and UTTER BULLSHIT. When will Nigerians start learning from past experiences. This same kind of thing happened with Odili in RIvers State, with the Gas Turbine project.
If anyone will fall for gimmick, then maybe you really do deserve to wallow in your proverty.

@Udezue,

nobody is talking about which state [/b]and which [b]people get what. I'm from Akwa Ibom state and I'm not crying about developments in other parts of Nigeria. I just want to see the government take on the issues which are more important to Nigerians (not Igbos and Efiks) at this time. I want to believe you are from enugu state.

Let me ask you this - If there is no regular supply of power in your state, how does FREE WIFI actually help anybody? Where do you get electricity to power your laptop (assuming you actually own one)?

If there is no food on the table in a family with 5 kids, how does FREE WIFI help put food on the table?

How does FREE WIFI help the standard of education in our universities? How does it improve the quality of education students are receiving?

How many universities are without computer labs (as someone rightly pointed out)?

BTW, I know at least 3 Nigerian graduates where I live, who actually studied computing degrees in Nigeria. They don't know how to use Microsoft Powerpoint or even excel. For some, Microsoft word is just too complicated.
Why not invest in more computing facilities for students in Institutions of higher learning?

If you are going to argue, then argue rationally and state your points. Please stop the name-calling. It's completely un-called for.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by bawomolo(m): 7:42pm On Oct 25, 2008
can't the development of a communication network and public infrastructure coexist. do we have to shortchange one for the other??
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Gamine(f): 7:50pm On Oct 25, 2008
Madness.

Madness.

Madness.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by idupaul: 7:59pm On Oct 25, 2008
Ambitious madness
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

can't the development of a communication network and public infrastructure coexist. do we have to shortchange one for the other??

Ofcourse both can BUT do I need to remind you that we are speaking of ENUGU in NIGERIA?? I mean we are not talking of some village in America or town even, that already has infrastructure in place for all these.

About 3 years ago, I hailed the government’s move to provide children in schools with the OLPC laptops, believing that would open way to development and what not. Where do you think that project is now? What do you think has become of all the laptops that were actually purchased? What do you think became of all the money supposedly set aside to help make sure that project does not go to waste? I am almost in tears writing this. I so believed in that project but somehow the government turned it into another waste pipeline. Go to the FME site ( if it is still up and running) and see the many pictures of kids without classrooms to study in, some of those schools happen to be in Enugu state. I don’t know if you have actually been there before but it is not Lagos. LoL.  

In the NORMAL world, it would work but somehow, in Nigeria  99% of such projects turn into avenues for the leaders to pour more money down the drain. I am sure the people will not CRY BLOOD if they get the basics today and FREE WIFI 50 years from now. You need to visit Enugu to see for yourself. And I am in no way saying this just cause.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by shotster50(m): 9:05pm On Oct 25, 2008
This is a really good idea which should be applauded not criticized. I am only sceptical on how long it is going to last.
Re: Enugu To Provide Free Wireless Internet by PepERSprAY: 9:33pm On Oct 25, 2008
shotster50:

This is a really good idea which should be applauded not criticized. I am only sceptical on how long it is going to last.
When will Nigerians learn to pay for their services? That is why NEPA/PHCN and water are still diseased in Nigeria today. pay your bills and stop expecting govt to provide them for free.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Industrialist Declares 104 Textile Companies Dead / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon Speaks On Governor Oshiomole's Victory / Anioma State Must Be Created

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.