Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,608 members, 7,944,804 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 04:35 AM

Catholic Priests That Changed The World - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Priests That Changed The World (39743 Views)

Catholic Priests Dance With Masquerade At An Event In Nnewi, Anambra / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria / Catholic Priests May Be Allowed To Marry Amid Papal Changes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by tete7000(m): 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: I have asked this question and I will ask it again do the catholic belief Jesus is the child of Mary or Mary is the child of Jesus,if its the former,then its too bad.I also belief Mary is not as holy as to give birth to the one as Holy as the son of God,I would only tag her as the luckiest of women. angry sad

Heresy!
What you believe changes nothing. Elizabeth filled with the Holy Spirit exclaimed: ' 43 But why am I so favoured, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. (Lk 1:43-44)'. Kindly check your scripture for the bolded. If she was lucky why hadn't you been lucky to be Jesus yourself?

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by tete7000(m): 3:28pm On Aug 24, 2014
chinex276: My candid advice 2 all nairaland catholics: PLS STOP WORSHIPPING SISTER MARY, ABI NA ANTY MARY OR MOTHER MARY, PLS STOP WORSHIPPING HER, ONLY CHRIST SAVES, APART FRM HIM NO OTHER MEANS.
I rest my kase
Your advice is not needed and won't be heeded. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Curiouscity(m): 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
9jalyte:

My friend, I am ashamed of how you are locked up in the bottle of infantile. Someone was pointing at great achievements of some clergy to human development, all you can bring up is an outdated debate that has no significance. The protestants used those debates to justify their separation into a more "God-centered" religious order, ok, over the years what have they done better than the Catholics. And if I may ask, what is your business with what they believe. I hate it how Nigerians are so marooned by religion that they can not think of anything creative. Infact, my Chinese friend says it is lack of creativity that drives us to always fall on our knees asking God for our daily bread. Those priests mentioned have achieved greatness for mankind, ok, you who understands God better based on your wisdom, what is your own contribution.

We should get rid of this our intellectual shallowness and begin to work with our head. There is definitely nothing new to preach in Christianity, every adult christian knows what is sin and what is not. What we lack now is the substance to practice practical christianity, which will be a product of your resourcefulness. Just look at our campuses, the strongest student associations are the religious groups. If students can devote same energy and resource in forming cooperatives for developmental purposes, God knows where we will be today.

So please, transport your self to 2014, seems you were left behind at 1820.
10000 likes!

No mind us with our religiosity without substance. We have the highest number of denominations, yet, we are poorest in compassion and 90% of us cheat in one form or the other.
Empty barrels make the loudest noise.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CharlieMaria(m): 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: With this I ask you,Is Christ the son of God or Son of Mary.If all things were created in the presence of Christ,that must include Mary.If a sinless and holy man like John the Baptist could count himself unworthy to Baptise Jesus,how worthy was Mary.For Christ was born for the sinful and not the sinless and Mary was a mortal.And the Bible said for all have sinned and have fallen short of Glory of God.For Mary might have been sinless as at the birth of Christ but according to the words of John the Baptist,was not holy enough to give birth to the son of God,who was even before the creation of Adam.
It is true that Mary was created by God. But that same God in the person of Jesus Christ became flesh in Mary's womb. Go to Jn1:1and verse 14. In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. And the word was made flesh and dwelt among us. The word was made flesh in Marys womb. Your mother is your mother not because your mother created your soul but because your soul assumed flesh in your mother's womb. In the same vein Jesus who is truly God and truly man according to philpians2:5 his soul took flesh in Marys womb. Therefore making Mary the True Mother of Jesus. What are you to your mother? Are you not his son? Did she create your soul? If you understand this then you will understand how Mary became and us still the true Mother of Jesus who is God and man. Jn19:26 calls Mary the mother of Jesus. Mt2:11 says Mary is the true mother of Jesus. After seeing these you still deny that Jesus is the Son of Mary? That Mary has maternal right over Jesus? Think brother.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CharlieMaria(m): 3:40pm On Aug 24, 2014
tete7000:

Heresy!
What you believe changes nothing. Elizabeth filled with the Holy Spirit exclaimed: ' 43 But why am I so favoured, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. (Lk 1:43-44)'. Kindly check your scripture for the bolded. If she was lucky why hadn't you been lucky to be Jesus yourself?
Please help me and ask him.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CharlieMaria(m): 3:51pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: Now I see you worship Mary.Maybe you think Jesus first existed after his birth by Mary,No!Do you agree with me that before everyone was created Christ existed and not anyone including Mary was created without his knowledge.
Even John the Baptist who said he was created after Jesus,went into wilderness,preached about his comming and event baptised the messiah,who all can say never lived like human still felt himself less worthy and with all this,the Bible said he will be the least man in heaven.Then who is Mary when the Bible practically said:For all have sinned(including Mary) and have fallen short of the Glory of God.
[b]Mary might not have sin in her as at the birth of Christ,but was born a sinner,[/b]as the bible even proves to us that Christ ate and drank with sinners.
Finally,the Bible says:Thou shall have no other god except for me.Mary is the handmaid of God,a child and servant of Christ,for Christ is no human,but a Holy Spirit and son of God,who came through a mortal,Mary,to cleanse and wash away our sins.
Then I leave you with a question,who do you really think Jesus Christ is?Son of Mary or Son of God
You know that if we go by that quotation Rom3:23 that all have sinned and fallen short of Gods glory the devil can also by that suggest to you that all includes Jesus our sinless savior. That is why St Paul's in romans5:19 rephrased his statement saying Many were made sinners, thereby excluding Jesus and Mary. People must stop literal translation of the bible.
@ the second bolded: is there any place in the bible that mentioned that Mary was a sinner? Or became a sinner after the birth of Jesus? Or that she was born in sin?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Sheenor: 3:56pm On Aug 24, 2014
Aw abt mie.......
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by k2039: 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
chukwudi44: Please every catholic should ignore the attention seeking Emmalot121 guy and concentrate on the message here
my good friend, how are you?
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 4:31pm On Aug 24, 2014
CharlieMaria:
It is true that Mary was created by God. But that same God in the person of Jesus Christ became flesh in Mary's womb. Go to Jn1:1and verse 14. In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. And the word was made flesh and dwelt among us. The word was made flesh in Marys womb. Your mother is your mother not because your mother created your soul but because your soul assumed flesh in your mother's womb. In the same vein Jesus who is truly God and truly man according to philpians2:5 his soul took flesh in Marys womb. Therefore making Mary the True Mother of Jesus. What are you to your mother? Are you not his son? Did she create your soul? If you understand this then you will understand how Mary became and us still the true Mother of Jesus who is God and man. Jn19:26 calls Mary the mother of Jesus. Mt2:11 says Mary is the true mother of Jesus. After seeing these you still deny that Jesus is the Son of Mary? That Mary has maternal right over Jesus? Think brother.
I totally agree Mary is the EATHLY mother of Jesus but do you agree Jesus is the HEAVENLY father of Mary & its the heavenly part that matters to me my dear Brother.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
icekidgodfrey:

go polish your english, then i'd consider replying your critics. Nairaland really need to start setting standards, this forum shouldn't be for just anybody!!
Which part of my English needs to be polished?I really think you are partially drunk angry
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 5:18pm On Aug 24, 2014
Olamilekan08:
Hmmm.. From the stories of Copernicus and Galileo that i've come across anywhere, he didnt publish his work for the fear of being persecuted by the church, because then, the church believe in the earth being the centre of the universe. And we all know what happen to those who oppose the church then.
This is the first time i am seeing this.

Yeah probably why he must have been doubly scared as a priest he must have observed ist hand the persecution of deviants
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
chinex276:
so wat do u call bowing 2 her statue, praying 2 her, asking her 2 pray 4 u wen d Bible clearly says JESUS IS D ONLY WAY 2 D FATHER, nd in d 10commandments Jesus told us not 2 bow 2 any image watsoeva.
If God would have wanted u 2 honour ur so-called moda of God, it should be written in d Bible clearly 4 every1 2 see nd practice, bt as 4 CATHOLICS,,, I jus dnt knw wat 2 say....
Pls stop living on d illusion dat u're honouring mary, u r purely worshipping d her.
Btw i am an ex-catholic, a very devouted block rosarian at dat, so u cant tell me anything abt d catholic faith.
make person hear word jor!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by JohnsonEmma(m): 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2014
Proudly Catholic.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
Was he a catholic priest or you don't understand the topic?? Mtchewwww

CzarChris: And why is Martin Luther not on this list? I can see that after all these centuries, the catholic church hasn't forgive him because of his publications, particularly his "Disputation of Martin Luther on the
Power and Efficacy of Indulgences," later known as 'The Ninety-Five Theses'.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
korel9: If they all spent their Sundays on nairaland like you they won't have made it this far grin

Wait

Is this FTC things? chikichaka I told you I will make it soon. grin
I guess you've ran out of mb grin

Noy at all dude. FTC has become boring for moi grin
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 6:02pm On Aug 24, 2014
Sheenor: Aw abt mie.......

cheesy
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
Is that you on profile pics undecided

panachuku: all i knw is dat xtainity is a scam
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CzarChris(m): 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2014
Sobrit:
you proved you have just a smattering of the scripture. Go and do your home work before coming here to sound like u are intelligent.
For a guide, go study luke chapter 1. Rev 12: 1john 4:2-3
you will be glad u did
So your interpretation of the woman in Rev. 12 is that its Mary abi? SMH, youngman, the woman described there is the church and the devil there signifies the devil persecuting the church. Truly ignorance is bliss.
Read man READ!!!
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CzarChris(m): 6:27pm On Aug 24, 2014
peppyluv02: Was he a catholic priest or you don't understand the topic?? Mtchewwww

Younglady, Martin Luther was born 10 Nov. 1483 and ordained a Catholic priest in 1507 and he died on the 18 of Feb 1546, he was a monk, priest, theologian and professor. He is seen as the father of the Lutheran church and the Protestant Movement.
There's something called Google and Google is your friend girl, don't just use your phone/internet access for chating, pinging and facebooking.
Educate yourself! SMDH 4 u.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Aegon(m): 6:28pm On Aug 24, 2014
frodobee: Is it limited to sciences? Can we add humanities?

St Augustine of Hippo
This guy is truly blessed with his works on philosophy, religion and general right living.
Every student of philosophy and politics take note.

St John of the Cross.
This guy is best known for his work 'Dark night of the soul' this book and my girlfriend saved me from despair during my personal soul night. Any body who's passing through a difficult time should read this masterpiece.
Sometimes it may be spiritually gain full to have to pass through certain hard times. its a must for philosophy enthusiasts.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by ezugegere(m): 7:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: With this I ask you,Is Christ the son of God or Son of Mary.If all things were created in the presence of Christ,that must include Mary.If a sinless and holy man like John the Baptist could count himself unworthy to Baptise Jesus,how worthy was Mary.For Christ was born for the sinful and not the sinless and Mary was a mortal.And the Bible said for all have sinned and have fallen short of Glory of God.For Mary might have been sinless as at the birth of Christ but according to the words of John the Baptist,was not holy enough to give birth to the son of God,who was even before the creation of Adam.

What does the Angel Gabriel mean when he said Mary was "full of grace" Can she be a sinner and still be full of grace? What does the Holy Spirit mean, when speaking through Elizabeth, called Mary the "most blessed amongst women", and Elizabeth went on to call her "mother of the Lord"? What does Mary mean when, speaking through the influence of the Holy Spirit said: "Hence forth, all ages will call me blessed"? Can you explain?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 8:24pm On Aug 24, 2014
ezugegere:

What does the Angel Gabriel mean when he said Mary was "full of grace" Can she be a sinner and still be full of grace? What does the Holy Spirit mean, when speaking through Elizabeth, called Mary the "most blessed amongst women", and Elizabeth went on to call her "mother of the Lord"? What does Mary mean when, speaking through the influence of the Holy Spirit said: "Hence forth, all ages will call me blessed"? Can you explain?
I had made up my mind to close my eyes to this thread but for the fact that you asked me a question which is not rhetorical.
I agree with everything you said that Mary is the EARTHLY mother of Jesus but do you agree with Jesus is the HEAVENLY father of Mary and to me its the HEAVENLY part that should matter to christians.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Noblemarce: 8:24pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: I have asked this question and I will ask it again do the catholic belief Jesus is the child of Mary or Mary is the child of Jesus,if its the former,then its too bad.I also belief Mary is not as holy as to give birth to the one as Holy as the son of God,I would only tag her as the luckiest of women. angry sad
what concerns mary n what the op wrote, pls u need to grow up u're too religious, now for ur notice, the op is writing about the achievements of these great men n not MARY!!!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by rossyc(f): 8:43pm On Aug 24, 2014
. Mary is the mother of Jesus. She was chosen to fulfill the prophecy. That is why it is termed Immaculate conception..
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
We are talking of those who were faithful to the church and died as priests not protestants.
SMDA 4 U undecided

CzarChris: Younglady, Martin Luther was born 10 Nov. 1483 and ordained a Catholic priest in 1507 and he died on the 18 of Feb 1546, he was a monk, priest, theologian and professor. He is seen as the father of the Lutheran church and the Protestant Movement.
There's something called Google and Google is your friend girl, don't just use your phone/internet access for chating, pinging and facebooking.
Educate yourself! SMDH 4 u.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CharlieMaria(m): 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: I totally agree Mary is the EATHLY mother of Jesus but do you agree Jesus is the HEAVENLY father of Mary & its the heavenly part that matters to me my dear Brother.
And Jesus has never ceased even now that he is in heaven to be the mother of Jesus.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by declaro(m): 10:07pm On Aug 24, 2014

Brother, I have answered you this question yesterday on another topic as below:

1. Catholics does not worship Mary mother of Jesus, but honoring her just like the way you respect and honor your parents and your friend's parents.
2. Catholics are nothing but Christians, that believes in Jesus Christ and baptized in the name of Thy Father and of Thy Son and of Thy Holy Spirit.
3. Catholics also believe in the Gospel of John 1:3 (All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made). And Mary mother of Jesus also acknowledged that she is handmaid of God in the Gospel of Luke 1:38 (And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her).
4. Apart from Mary mother of Jesus there are other Mary mentioned in the bible like "Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene (John 19:25)", "Mary the mother of James and Joses (Matthew 27:56). But bible always specify the Mother of Jesus wherever her name is been mentioned in the bible, examples in; John 19:25, Acts 1:14, Matthew 1:18, Luke 2:34, Matthew 2:11, John 19:26, John 2:1 etc. In fact, the Gospel of John 2:1 called Mary mother of Jesus (And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and Mary the mother of Jesus was theresmiley and the same was mention in the Acts of the Apostles 1:14 (These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.).
5. At the time Mary mother of Jesus visited Elizabeth, Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and she spark out in a loud voice and said..... In the Gospel of Luke 1:43 she called Mary the mother of my Lord {some bible versions has it as the mother of my God}, (Luke 1:43 said, And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?).

But for more clarifications, I will let you put your question this way. Does the Catholics believe that Mary created Jesus or do they believe that Jesus created Mary? The answer will be capital NO because Catholics believe that Jesus Christ (God) created both heaven and earth and everything in it including Mary the mother of Jesus. But going contrary to the Bible will be blaspheming. Catholic is fulling what is written in the bible Luke 1:48 (For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.)
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by marianazme(f): 10:33pm On Aug 24, 2014
Padre Pio (Priest, Religious, Stigmatic and Confessor):
His bio is so unimaginable and faith inspiring. I just read his bio on wiki and my mouth was open all through. He was a man of prayer and suffering. Link: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pio_of_Pietrelcina

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Ela59: 10:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
uzolexis:

luke 1: 41-43 "as soon as Elizabeth heard Mary's voice she was filled with the holy spirit and the baby in her womb leaped for joy and she said-Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, who am I that the mother of my lord should come to me".........enough said
Because She was carring the savior of the world. John in his mother womb, was sent to announce the fortcoming of Christ.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by cassyrooy(m): 10:44pm On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE: 3) THOMAS AQUINAS: Atheists will definitely know this guy, this guy defied his family to join the DOMINICAN ORDER his SUMMA THEOLOGICA is still used in the seminary till date. He is the PATRON SAINTS OF STUDENTS. his family once locked him in a tower, sent in a prostitute just to prevent him from being a priestgrin
Damn! The boy good. He damn too good.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by cassyrooy(m): 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE: 4) NICHOLAS COPERNICUS : There is some doubt as to whether Copernicus
eventually became a priest as we only have evidence
that he took minor orders (the first stages of the
priesthood) but his fame, and the possibility that he was
ultimately ordained – make him a worthwhile addition.

He pointed the fact that the sun not the earth was the centre of solar system, he delayed publication of his book for fear of persecution for a guy who had no bachelors degree, lost his parents at 10 the father of modern astronomy deserves a mention here.
Rev. Father NICHOLAS COPERNICUS the Father of Astronomy. SMH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ebuka Obi Zion Ministry Allegedly Buys Property Of Mountain Of Fire In Lagos / 10 Categories Of Jobs That Deplete People's Chances Of Making Heaven / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Jogging & Exercising In South Africa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.