Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,381 members, 7,978,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:36 PM

Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria (2397 Views)

Surmountable Obstacles Against South-east Regional Economic Integration / Inter Party Debate Live On TV / Inter-ethnic Marriages Or NYSC Which Can Promote National Integration Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria by ujoinme: 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
wink
Re: Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria by Rawani: 5:30pm On Aug 25, 2014
PapaBrowne:

These figures are totally wrong and have zero basis. How did the author come up with these discombobulated stats?

From reliable agencies, Lagos state alone has an estimated GDP of $80 billion which equates to 13 Trillion. But this reports arrogates 8.2 trillion to the whole of the South West.

The assumed total GDP OF Nigeria from these fake stats is (15.65 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 5.7 + 1.4 +1.2)= Approximately 24 Trillion Naira. In Dollars, that is 130 Billion Dollars. The last time Nigeria's GDP measured 130 Billion Dollars was in the early 2000's when oil was still selling at $25 per barrel.

Nigeria's GDP stands around $510 BILLION which is equivalent to over 85 Trillion Naira. These figures are fake.

They are most likely presented for political purposes most likely sponsored by the north west ruling class to create an impression that they contribute immensely to the economy versus the South east.And that the only reason the South South has such figures is the oil it possesses. The North West consists of Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi, Jigawa, Zamfara. Minus Kano and Kaduna, the rest are empty arid zones many of which dont have up to 10 banks serving the whole state. Banks follow GDP and that's why they have their highest concentration in Lagos, Abuja and PH. The last I checked, CBN released figures indicating that a majority of all cash transactions happen in Lagos, PH, Abuja, Aba and Onitsha.
The long and short of it all is that these are fake figures with political undertones. Its pathetic that people still resort to these kinds of misinformation to further their parochial interests.

He who comes to equity must come with clean hands. I suggest you post the source of your figures before trying to discredit the posters figures as that smacks of hypocrisy and chronic myopia. I assume that the figures posted were those gotten BEFORE THE ECONOMY WAS REBASED which is the reason for the wide disparity with those you produced. I would have expected that with the zeal you used to make your post, you would be honourable enough to post your source and treat the posters submission with reasonable doubt, instead of emotionally induced outright condemnation.
Re: Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria by HappyJoe: 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2014
Please could we look at these things objectively.

Ayo Teriba is obviously a very intelligent man, but without solid data, there's a limit to the depth of his analysis.

1. This analysis was done before our economy was rebased.
2. That means that key sectors such as Nollywood, Telecoms & many services sectors weren't taking into account.
3. You cannot accurately describe the economy of say, Anambra without taking into consideration the impact of Nollywood (Aba & Onitsha) & a lot of other services.
4. So Ayo Teriba's analysis cannot be correct.
Re: Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 25, 2014
PapaBrowne:

These figures are totally wrong and have zero basis. How did the author come up with these discombobulated stats?

From reliable agencies, Lagos state alone has an estimated GDP of $80 billion which equates to 13 Trillion. But this reports arrogates 8.2 trillion to the whole of the South West.

The assumed total GDP OF Nigeria from these fake stats is (15.65 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 5.7 + 1.4 +1.2)= Approximately 24 Trillion Naira. In Dollars, that is 130 Billion Dollars. The last time Nigeria's GDP measured 130 Billion Dollars was in the early 2000's when oil was still selling at $25 per barrel.

Nigeria's GDP stands around $510 BILLION which is equivalent to over 85 Trillion Naira. These figures are fake.

They are most likely presented for political purposes most likely sponsored by the north west ruling class to create an impression that they contribute immensely to the economy versus the South east.And that the only reason the South South has such figures is the oil it possesses. The North West consists of Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi, Jigawa, Zamfara. Minus Kano and Kaduna, the rest are empty arid zones many of which dont have up to 10 banks serving the whole state. Banks follow GDP and that's why they have their highest concentration in Lagos, Abuja and PH. The last I checked, CBN released figures indicating that a majority of all cash transactions happen in Lagos, PH, Abuja, Aba and Onitsha.
The long and short of it all is that these are fake figures with political undertones. Its pathetic that people still resort to these kinds of misinformation to further their parochial interests.

thanks bro. its very obvious those figures were doctored for reasons you have stated.

1 Like

Re: Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria by djon78(m): 6:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
HappyJoe: Please could we look at these things objectively.

Ayo Teriba is obviously a very intelligent man, but without solid data, there's a limit to the depth of his analysis.

1. This analysis was done before our economy was rebased.
2. That means that key sectors such as Nollywood, Telecoms & many services sectors weren't taking into account.
3. You cannot accurately describe the economy of say, Anambra without taking into consideration the impact of Nollywood (Aba & Onitsha) & a lot of other services.
4. So Ayo Teriba's analysis cannot be correct.

True talk. Some half baked journalist will publish a poorly researched write up and all these half baked folks on this forunm, will just be making noise.
Someone pointed out some facts that the GDP data the guy was quoting was outdated, and the reply he was given is that he is emotional.

My take on issues concerning this debate is simply this: the way Nigeria is presently structured, some regions are favoured more than the rest. Therefore until each region is free to manage the resources within her enclave and pay a certain percentage to a central purse, all these debate will just be noise.
Why cant Niger delta receive 50 to 70 percent of her resources revenue? Why cant the embargo placed on the natural resources of SE by the FG since after the war so that the region cannot maximise the huge deposits of Coal, Natural gas, a bit of Crude and other resources she is blessed with? Why must majority of imports and exports go through only Tincan, a port that is so congested which adds extra cost for other businesses in other regions using the port while other Cities with port potential like Warri, PH, Ibaka etc are neglected by the FG. I have more questions to ask but I dont have the time. Some will now say that I am being emotional, but these issues I raised are naked and open Truths. Let me reiterate it again: the way Nigeria is presently structured, gives undue advantages to some regions, while others are disadvantaged.
Re: Inter-regional Economic Disparities in Nigeria by thwarrior72: 7:03pm On Aug 25, 2014
MayorofLagos: Im going to restrain myself from commenting on tbis most important topic of the century.

SE has spent all its money putting up modern roofs to give an aerial impression to visitors flying in to the region. The impression fade off the moment visitors land and have to wade through flooded tarmac and terminals at the international airport. seaport.

Your knowledge on such topic is limited,therefore it will do u absolutely no good to sample ur ignorance here......let informed mind discuss tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

@bbcafrica Changes Gear Again,now Reports "NA Kills 70 Boko Haram Members." / Nigerian Arrested With Fake Dollars In Ghana / Buhari, Atiku, Rochas And Sam Nda-isaiah - Hilarious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.