Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,581 members, 7,972,169 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 05:11 AM

Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? (1963 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 4:10pm On Aug 25, 2014
Which day is the Sabbath? Since most churches observe Sunday as their day of rest and worship, many people assume that Sunday is the Sabbath.
The Fourth Commandment states:"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work . . ." (Exodus:20:8-10[8] Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
[9] Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
[10] But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
, emphasis added throughout).
God commanded that the seventh day be observed as the Sabbath. A glance at almost any dictionary, encyclopedia or calendar will show you that Saturday is the seventh day of the week, while Sunday is the first day of the week. According to God's calendar, the seventh day is—and always has been—the Sabbath day. Although man has modified calendars through the centuries, the seven-day weekly cycle has remained intact throughout history. The days of the week have always remained in their proper order, with Sunday as the first day of the week and Saturday as the seventh.
Time has not been lost in this regard, as some assert."The oracles of God"—His divine words and instructions—were entrusted to the Jewish people (Romans:3:1-2[1] What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
[2] Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
), and they have preserved the knowledge of the seventh-day Sabbath faithfully since well before Christ's time to this day. Jesus repeatedly confirmed that the day the Jews observed as the Sabbath in His day was indeed the Sabbath. And since then the Jewish people, even scattered in many nations and in different sects, have all preserved the same day.
Moreover, the mainstream Christian churches, though rejecting the Sabbath, indirectly confirm when it is by maintaining their early tradition of worshipping on Sunday, which they acknowledge to be the first day of the week. Obviously that makes the previous day the seventh—the biblical Sabbath.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2014
Sabbath.
No biblical authorization for changing the Sabbath
So how did Sunday become the primary day of rest and worship for these churches? Although the concept of rest has largely disappeared today, most denominations continue to hold their worship services on Sunday. You can search throughout the Bible, but you will find no authority to alter the day of worship.
James Cardinal Gibbons, Catholic educator and archbishop of Baltimore at the turn of the 20th century, was blunt about the change: "You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday.The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday,a day which we never sanctify. The Catholic Church correctly teaches that our Lord and His Apostles inculcated certain important duties of religion which are not recorded by the inspired writers . . . We must, therefore, conclude that the Scriptures alone cannot be a sufficient guide and rule of faith"(The Faith of Our Fathers,1917, p. 89).
Did you grasp what he said? He admitted thatSunday observance is nowhere authorized in the Bibleand thatthe seventh day is the only day sanctified by the Scriptures.His justification for changing the day of rest and worship assumes that authority existsapart fromthe Bible to define the necessary truths and practices for salvation—in other words, he says, human beings can change the commandments of God!
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
Change to Sunday was made after the New Testament was written
The change from Sabbath to Sunday is not found anywhere in the Bible. It was made long after the writing of the New Testament. So how and when was the change made?
Initially Christianity was viewed as simply a sect of Judaism. However, after Jewish revolts in Judea in A.D. 67-70 and 132-135, Jewish religious practices—many of which continued in the early Church—came to be viewed with hostility throughout the Roman Empire. Many among the Church began to abandon these practices, including observance of the biblical Sabbath and festivals.
No clear references to Sunday as a day of Christian worship are found until the writings of Barnabas and Justin, around A.D. 135 and 150, respectively. Observance of Sunday as the primary day of worship appears to have begun to solidify during the reign of Emperor Hadrian (A.D. 117-135), who harshly persecuted Jews throughout the Roman Empire. Hadrian specifically prohibited practices of Judaism, including observance of the seventh-day Sabbath.
These oppressive measures apparently influenced many early Christians in Rome to abandon the seventh day and turn to Sunday, the day for honoring the sun god among the Romans and other peoples of the ancient world. When Christianity was declared the official religion of the Roman Empire in the fourth century, the process accelerated.
Constantine's anti-Jewish prejudice
The Roman Emperor Constantine, although a worshipper of the sun, was the first emperor to profess belief in Christianity. But the "Christianity" Constantine endorsed was already considerably different from that practiced by Jesus and the apostles. The emperor accelerated the change by his own hatred of Jews and religious practices he considered Jewish.
For example, at the Council of Nicea (A.D. 325), church authorities essentially banned the biblical Passover observance. Endorsing this change, Constantine announced: "It appeared an unworthy thing that . . . we should follow the practice of the Jews, who have impiously defiled their hands with enormous sin, and are, therefore, deservedly afflicted with blindness of soul . . . Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd" (Eusebius,Life of Constantine 3,chapter 18, quoted inNicene and Post-Nicene Fathers,1979, Vol. 1, pp. 524-525).
In a bid to unify his empire, he established the first laws making Sunday the official day of rest. His A.D. 321 law, for example, stated: "On the venerable Day of the Sun [Sunday] let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed."
Several decades later, the Council of Laodicea decreed: "Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honoring the Lord's Day [Sunday]; . . . But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ."
Within a few centuries observance of the biblical Sabbath was driven underground within the confines of the empire, and most who professed Christianity embraced Sunday.
Although the Protestant Reformation brought some changes, observance of Sunday continued from the Roman Catholic Church into subsequent Protestant denominations. But whereas the Catholic Church claimed authority to establish its own times of worship, Protestant churches generally justified Sunday observance on the grounds that the seventh-day Sabbath was replaced in the New Testament by worship on Sunday in honor of Christ's resurrection.
However, as confirmed by Cardinal Gibbons above, there is no biblical authority for changing the day of rest and worship from the seventh day to Sunday. As shown throughout this booklet, Jesus Christ, the apostles, and Jewish and gentile members of the early Church alike continued to observe the seventh-day Sabbath—the only day authorized in the Bible.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 25, 2014
well the pope changed the day of the sabath with the unique authority that Jesus conferred on him.If yo have any issues with that kindly take it up with Jesus
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 5:44pm On Aug 25, 2014
chukwudi44: well the pope changed the day of the sabath with the unique authority that Jesus conferred on him.If yo have any issues with that kindly take it up with Jesus
If Jesus himself didn't change d sabbath after ressurection he will not give anybody power to do so bcus d Scripture cannot be broken. Can u just write to the whole world where in d Scripture Jesus says he will change the Law and times?
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Rich4god(m): 8:10pm On Aug 25, 2014
Olusanya333: If Jesus himself didn't change d sabbath after ressurection he will not give anybody power to do so bcus d Scripture cannot be broken. Can u just write to the whole world where in d Scripture Jesus says he will change the Law and times?
So the authority he gave to the apostles is for what... Buying private jets?
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Emusan(m): 9:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
@OP
Let me start with you with this simple question, what does the Bible mean when it says for Christ is the end of the Law?
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 9:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
Rich4god: So the authority he gave to the apostles is for what... Buying private jets?
And the Apostles changeth not d sabbath but observe it on d seventh day.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Rich4god(m): 9:58pm On Aug 25, 2014
Olusanya333: And the Apostles changeth not d sabbath but observe it on d seventh day.
Your response has nothing to do with my post... But to reply you, the apostles didnt have to build churches, but gather in peoples home for their service/prayers...
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 10:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
Emusan: @OP
Let me start with you with this simple question, what does the Bible mean when it says for Christ is the end of the Law?
"Think not that I have come to abolish the Law but to fulfil them" nd with ur quote "Christ is the end of the Law" it will appear it contradict but No u misinterprete. There is Law of Moses nd d Law of God i.e Ten commandment.The Law of Moses contains regulations for worship,feast,sacrifice nd sm others also u read Leviticus to understand dis.The Law of Moses(law of sin and death) Jesus nailed to the cross and d curtain of d Temple torn into two dat Christ goeth in into d Holy of holies where d Ten commandment is Laid to give us power dat we in d Spirit might be subject to the Law of God i.e d ten commandment.1 john 5:1-3. Now i know yee acted in ignorance but now thou knoweth because on d day of Judgement Christ will ask thee.Do u do my Fathers will(d ten commandments)Then thou will says Do i not prophesy nd teach in ur name,do i not cast out demons in ur name?But He shall say Depart yee evil workers. Now I say Repent and Follow the Truth.Keep God commandment and Fear him.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 10:16pm On Aug 25, 2014
Rich4god: Your response has nothing to do with my post... But to reply you, the apostles didnt have to build churches, but gather in peoples home for their service/prayers...
So God is a Lier when he by d Holy Spirit wrote Act 13:14 "But they passed on from perga and came to Antioch of Pisidia.And on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down" Shey na ur house dem come? You see D Word of God is against ur story. And next time write smthng frm d Bible nd nt Lies u r told.Thanks
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by JesusisLord85: 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
chukwudi44: well the pope changed the day of the sabath with the unique authority that Jesus conferred on him.If yo have any issues with that kindly take it up with Jesus

LMAO
Chai the negro can really worship his oyinbo slave masters.

Just like that. "Kindly take it up with Jesus" he said grin.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Rich4god(m): 10:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
Olusanya333: So God is a Lier when he by d Holy Spirit wrote Act 13:14 "But they passed on from perga and came to Antioch of Pisidia.And on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down" Shey na ur house dem come? You see D Word of God is against ur story. And next time write smthng frm d Bible nd nt Lies u r told.Thanks
Shey if i tell you make you dey read your bible, e go be like say na insult, what did they went into the synagogue to do... Try reading the entire chapter and see what happen at the end... Synagogue is a worship place for jews practicing judaism and they were the ones Paul went to teach for convertion. The early christians worshiped in homes and open places.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by JesusisLord85: 11:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
Rich4god: Shey if i tell you make you dey read your bible, e go be like say na insult, what did they went into the synagogue to do... Try reading the entire chapter and see what happen at the end... Synagogue is a worship place for jews practicing judaism and they were the ones Paul went to teach for convertion. The early christians worshiped in homes and open places.

If the leaders of the synagogue had accepted Christ as their prophesied Messiah, they would not have needed to. That was bourne out of necessity.
The aim was not to start a new religion my friend, go and sit down.
The law and prophets wrote about Christ. Yet no mention He would start a new religion with ad hoc rules.

Shalom
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Rich4god(m): 11:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
JesusisLord85:

If the leaders of the synagogue had accepted Christ as their prophesied Messiah, they would not have needed to. That was bourne out of necessity.
The aim was not to start a new religion my friend, go and sit down.
The law and prophets wrote about Christ. Yet no mention He would start a new religion with ad hoc rules.

Shalom
How this reply take concern my post nahim i no understand... Btw, who started the new religion...
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
Rich4god: Shey if i tell you make you dey read your bible, e go be like say na insult, what did they went into the synagogue to do... Try reading the entire chapter and see what happen at the end... Synagogue is a worship place for jews practicing judaism and they were the ones Paul went to teach for convertion. The early christians worshiped in homes and open places.
I see.... U don't know the difference between Sabbath and Worship. Thus says the Lord from sabbath to sabbath all flesh shall come to worship me. You have heard now u got no excuse on d Judgement day. The great man of God in dis country u emulate nd imitate don't do any work on Saturday's,they do nothing but rest but u followers no this not and u work on Saturday's nd rest on sunday.Repent and Obey God commandment.PEACE
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
JesusisLord85:

LMAO
Chai the negro can really worship his oyinbo slave masters.

Just like that. "Kindly take it up with Jesus" he said grin.
Me wonder oo If the pope now declare He is the Christ dem go accept now

1 Like

Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
Olusanya333: Me wonder oo If the pope now declare He is the Christ dem go accept now
nice signature buddy.. Continue in the truth and He shall stand by u
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 8:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
ProphetUdeme: nice signature buddy.. Continue in the truth and He shall stand by u
Amen.Together we will make it to Heaven the place built with pure gold.Amen
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
Olusanya333: Amen.Together we will make it to Heaven the place built with pure gold.Amen
pray for me.. I'm witnessing heaviest forms of trials and afflictions that prayer cant even solve.. Tell the Lord to pls reduce my burden cos we have been disconnected from the grace.. Pls do so and i will be glad
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Rich4god(m): 11:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
Olusanya333: I see.... U don't know the difference between Sabbath and Worship. Thus says the Lord from sabbath to sabbath all flesh shall come to worship me. You have heard now u got no excuse on d Judgement day. The great man of God in dis country u emulate nd imitate don't do any work on Saturday's,they do nothing but rest but u followers no this not and u work on Saturday's nd rest on sunday.Repent and Obey God commandment.PEACE
SMH.... So Paul teaching the jews in the synagogue can be seen as honoring the sabaath, even when the jews chased him out of the synagogue/region at times... And the gathering of the early in homes and open places counted as what.... worship abi sabbath.... So much for a bible believing christian....
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Rich4god(m): 11:19pm On Aug 26, 2014
Olusanya333: The great man of God in dis country u emulate nd imitate don't do any work on Saturday's,they do nothing but rest but u followers no this not and u work on Saturday's nd rest on sunday.Repent and Obey God commandment.PEACE
So in essence, you are trying to say that the MOG are decieving christians since they do a different thing from what their followers are doing....
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by iconize(m): 8:42am On Aug 27, 2014
This topic has been thrashed severally, why bring it up again?
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 7:55am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: So in essence, you are trying to say that the MOG are decieving christians since they do a different thing from what their followers are doing....
I am saying d elect allowed them to be deceived.PEACE
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 7:56am On Aug 28, 2014
iconize: This topic has been thrashed severally, why bring it up again?
The Truth will always come up
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 7:57am On Aug 28, 2014
Rich4god: SMH.... So Paul teaching the jews in the synagogue can be seen as honoring the sabaath, even when the jews chased him out of the synagogue/region at times... And the gathering of the early in homes and open places counted as what.... worship abi sabbath.... So much for a bible believing christian....
Mine is to Let u know nt dat u shud agree.PEACE
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 8:21am On Aug 28, 2014
ProphetUdeme: pray for me.. I'm witnessing heaviest forms of trials and afflictions that prayer cant even solve.. Tell the Lord to pls reduce my burden cos we have been disconnected from the grace.. Pls do so and i will be glad
You who Trust In the Lord shall never be ashamed. And you shall be like Mount Zion that shall not be moved.And d kingdom of darkness shall fall before you in the open feild says the Lord God the Lord of Host is his name.And His Holy name shall never again be profaned in your Life and d world shall know that the Lord is God who sanctify you in Jesus name i decree Amen. Sir why do say "we are disconnected from Grace"
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Emusan(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: "Think not that I have come to abolish the Law but to fulfil them" nd with ur quote "Christ is the end of the Law" it will appear it contradict but No u misinterprete.

I'm not talking about contradiction here but your understanding about the sentence.

There is Law of Moses nd d Law of God i.e Ten commandment.

Nothing like Law of MOSES all Laws belong to God but they have specific purpose.

The Law of Moses contains regulations for worship,feast,sacrifice nd sm others also u read Leviticus to understand dis.The Law of Moses(law of sin and death) Jesus nailed to the cross and d curtain of d Temple torn into two dat Christ goeth in into d Holy of holies where d Ten commandment is Laid to give us power dat we in d Spirit might be subject to the Law of God i.e d ten commandment.

Understand you but each law has his own purpose of giving it.

1 john 5:1-3. Now i know yee acted in ignorance but now thou knoweth because on d day of Judgement Christ will ask thee.Do u do my Fathers will(d ten commandments)Then thou will says Do i not prophesy nd teach in ur name,do i not cast out demons in ur name?But He shall say Depart yee evil workers.

Hmmmm Ten commandments is God's will new dimension.

Now I say Repent and Follow the Truth.Keep God commandment and Fear him.

When you don't even know what you're saying.
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 8:28am On Aug 28, 2014
Emusan:

I'm not talking about contradiction here but your understanding about the sentence.

Nothing like Law of MOSES all Laws belong to God but they have specific purpose.

Understand you but each law has his own purpose of giving it.

Hmmmm Ten commandments is God's will new dimension.

When you don't even know what you're saying.
As i said to others i say to u also "Mine is to let u know not to force u to agree".PEACE
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Emusan(m): 9:05am On Aug 28, 2014
Let me widen your knowledge about THE SABBATH.

Sabbath Observance:
Old Testament Precedence

God had commanded the Israelites to observe a Sabbath day, to make the seventh day one of rest where they abstained from labor. This command made it even into the Ten Commandments, as the fourth one (cf.
Exod 20 : 8 ). God based this model of rest on the fact that he too had stopped his work of creation on the seventh day since it had been
completed:
"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation." Genesis 2:1-3

"You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you. You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’" Exodus 31:13-17

Here we can see that SABBATH is a SIGN.

Consummation in the New Testament

Israel’s Sabbath observance, which was modeled after God’s own Sabbath, was intended to point to a greater spiritual rest. Just as God had rested from his work of creation and entered into an eternal Sabbath, a day which continues for all eternity, believers are to rest from trying to merit their righteousness through observing the Law and trust in Christ’s perfect righteousness. Once a believer truly trusts in the Lord Jesus he enters into God’s own Sabbath whereby he no longer has to merit his justification since he has been given the promise of eternal life:

See how the author of Hebrew book put it.

"Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For the Gospel came to us just as to them , but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, ‘As I swore in my wrath, "They shall not enter my rest,"’ although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: ‘And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.’ And again in
this passage he said, ‘They shall not enter my rest.’ Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the Gospel failed to enter because of disobedience, again he appoints a certain day, ‘Today,’ saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, ‘Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden
your hearts.’ For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever HAS ENTERED GOD'S REST has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience." Hebrews 4:1-11

Here you can understand the SIGN that was spoken about in the OT.

Again, since the reality has come:
"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a
Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come,
but the substance belongs to Christ ." Colossians 2:16-17

The sign of Sabbath is one of the thing Christ came to fulfilled or consummated
As Christ himself taught:
"And he said to them, ‘The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; so the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath.’" Mark 2:27-28

Why would anyone want to return to
the copy or shadow of things?

Hope this will help
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Emusan(m): 9:07am On Aug 28, 2014
Olusanya333: As i said to others i say to u also "Mine is to let u know not to force u to agree".PEACE

I say to you also that you don't know what SABBATH signifies.

See above for that.

Shalom!
Re: Which Is Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday? by Olusanya333(m): 9:25am On Aug 28, 2014
Emusan:

I say to you also that you don't know what SABBATH signifies.

See above for that.

Shalom!
We will stand before him one day either to be judge or to receive reward. But i tell u Sunday is not the sabbath day

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Was Daniel When Shadrach, Meshach And Abednego were Thrown Into Fire? / An Apology Letter / How To Register Your Ngo, Church, Mosque, And Other Associations With CAC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.