Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,779 members, 7,915,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 05:50 PM

Health Advice: Doctors Online - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Advice: Doctors Online (66780 Views)

Consult Nigerian Doctors Online / Health Advice; Doctors Pleeeeaaassse! / Health Is Wealth: Health Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 15, 2014
Redeemed:

@Marc9, i really appreciate your good work, God bless and attend to you in Jesus name. I'm 34 years old. Based on what you said that since i have a consistent menstrual cycle it's most liked i ovulate, a doctor advised that i should go for laparascopy to probe further the cause of not achieving pregnancy. Searched for a lab in Lagos where i can do it but didn't get, the only place i know they do it said that the test goes for 350k.
God should help every woman trying to conceive in Jesus name.

I still believe the problem is hormonal distortion. Instead of spending huge on laparoscopic probe, it's advisable to run hormonal profile. The high prolactin in your system clearly points out why you're finding it difficult to conceive.

Also, your psychological state could be hindering your chances of conception. Depression(mental stress) can hinder hormonal balance. So I'll advise you stop thinking too much. Try not to get depressed please.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by tchiwinnie: 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
Marc9:
Typographical. I meant 4months(not 14).
okk, i wondered o. cos sm1 else had earlier pointed it out. its aiiit tho. more grace
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Kasykel(f): 3:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
tchiwinnie:
D hcg(wch s a marker for pregnancy) may tk some tym to clear frm ur system.I suggest u test again after abt 1wk or so, or u do a scan.
thank you very much. Will do anoda pt tomorow which will determine if i will still do a scan befor d week runs out
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
@Kasykel, how you feeling now? Has the bleeding ceased?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Kasykel(f): 3:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
Marc9:
@Kasykel, how you feeling now? Has the bleeding ceased?
i am feeling ok. Thou having a persistent headache for three days now and Yes it stopped abt five days ago. Planning on doing anoda pt tomorow
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by sweetroses(f): 12:15am On Oct 16, 2014
Marc9:
Genotypic compactibility is quite important in marital decision. Bt it deals with probability. For a lady who is 'AS', the probability of her having 'SS' children(sickled cells) with an 'AS' partner is 1/4(0.25 or 25%). This doesn't mean if they both get married, one of the kids will or must surely be 'SS', or 'AS' or 'AA', as against what most people misconstrue. It all deals with probability, chances!
But because of the love we tend to have for our kids and how we want them to be healthy, and feel normal among their peers, we need mind how we risk bringing them to life. 'AS/AS' couple doesn't have 100% assurance of bearing healthy kids, they only have 75%, as against 'AS/AA' couple who has 100% assurance of bearing normal kids to life. 'AS/AS' couple has 25% risk, while 'AS/AA' couple has 0% risk of having sickle cell children.
Love surpasses everything. The love 'AS' couple might have for each other could actually make them take the risk. But then, the first consideration should be the love for the children to come!
In as much as we now have proper sickle cell management, it doesn't mean we should blindly or nonchalantly plunge into taking that risk. No matter how effective the management is, the kids might still be scarred psychologically.
Concerning whatever arrangement there is at the hospitals, I don't know about that. But I'll advise you try to look for an 'AA' partner, so that you'll have a restful, enjoyable, no hassle, no rushing to the hospital, and no regret family life. Always ask the guys you seem to size up as potential partner their genotype. But do that discreetly.
@bold, I agree. I know one such person. . . . . . She finds life miserable and was suicidal before. Infact I think she's still suicidal because of the sheer amount of negativity she carries inside.

Psychologically scarred doesn't even properly describe her. . . . . . sad
*shudder*
AS folks please avoid other AS.
The type of turmoil SS brings to kids is too much to overlook.

2 Likes

Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:21am On Oct 16, 2014
sweetroses:

@bold, I agree. I know one such person. . . . . . She finds life miserable and was suicidal before. Infact I think she's still suicidal because of the sheer amount of negativity she carries inside.

Psychologically scarred doesn't even properly describe her. . . . . . sad
*shudder*
AS folks please avoid other AS.
The type of turmoil SS brings to kids is too much to overlook.
I lost two great friends to Sickle Cell Anaemia! When they were alive, they were introvertial introvert. One was my primary and secondary school classmate. I carried him home on my back anytime the day became too hot, he reacted to sunlight with signs which include swollen face, scaly skin, and yellowish eyeballs.

Every intending couple should endeavour to see a marriage counsellor!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by sweetroses(f): 4:34am On Oct 16, 2014
Marc9:
I lost two great friends to Sickle Cell Anaemia! When they were alive, they were introvertial introvert. One was my primary and secondary school classmate. I carried him home on my back anytime the day became too hot, he reacted to sunlight with signs which include swollen face, scaly skin, and yellowish eyeballs.
Every intending couple should endeavour to see a marriage counsellor!
Can you imagine? Just for walking under hot sun that many people do without feeling anything? How will the person be happy when they cannot perform simple tasks that others take for granted?
I didnt even know SS were so sensitive to hot sun. . . . . Now that I think of it, that girl I spoke of earlier is also immensely introverted and indoors for like 90 percent of the time; she has actually become disillusioned and losing touch with reality.
Couples please seek counselling before having kids, love is not all you need.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 5:13am On Oct 16, 2014
sweetroses:

Can you imagine? Just for walking under hot sun that many people do without feeling anything? How will the person be happy when they cannot perform simple tasks that others take for granted?
I didnt even know SS were so sensitive to hot sun. . . . . Now that I think of it, that girl I spoke of earlier is also immensely introverted and indoors for like 90 percent of the time; she has actually become disillusioned and losing touch with reality.
Couples please seek counselling before having kids, love is not all you need.
intending couples need to be really informed about the essence of knowing their genotypic compactibility. My late friend's dad was 'AS', he didn't marry an 'AS' woman, he married an 'SS' woman. They gave birth to nine children, five out of the nine were sickle cell. Only one survived out of the five sickle cell. The surviving child(now 49 or 50yrs old) lives with a blemish. He has a bone disorder, he limps, and looks frail.

Please, couples should prioritise the interest of their unborn kids, over their personal interest.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2014
Kasykel:
Sorry to bother you but please can the headache be related to the whole process?
The headache is likely related to anaemia. You actually bled and lost quite an amount of blood, that might have made you anaemic. One of the symptoms of anaemia is persistent headache, as well as dizziness. Didn't you get the blood builder I recommended?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Wendy80(f): 9:32am On Oct 16, 2014
Hello Doc,
I was given ampiclox syrup(powder) for my 18months old baby in d hospital. My question is, is de any oda brand of anti biotics I can give to her that's not bitter inplace of d ampiclox. Reply appreciated.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 16, 2014
santagelo25:
Hello Doc Marc9...From your last answer,does it mean that a woman with moderate Staph and Candidiasis is likely to face the challenge of childbearing? She ovulates and menstruate normally..Can the man(husband) be infected as a result of the staph and candida?
@Joybik,please what did your DH use to improve his count?
Moderate shouldn't affect the chances, but could pose as risk in spontaneous AB. On the other, heavy could affect/hinder the chances of conception!

And yes, the man can contract Staph saprophyticus and Candida albican sexually, and that could pathologically affect sperm production in him.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 16, 2014
Wendy80:
Hello Doc,
I was given ampiclox syrup(powder) for my 18months old baby in d hospital. My question is, is de any oda brand of anti biotics I can give to her that's not bitter inplace of d ampiclox. Reply appreciated.
Ma'am, I'm nt a paediatrician, so I really don't have an idea which other brand of antibiotics(for paediatrics) is flavoured/sweetened.

But here's what you can do. You can mix the ampiclox they gave your baby in the hospital, with sweetened/flavoured vitamin C syrup. That would reduce the bitter taste of the ampiclox.
But please, go back to the hospital to get the paediatrician's acknowledgement. Let him decide if it's ok to give her the ampliclox with the flavoured Vitamin C syrup.

Like how old is your baby girl?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 16, 2014
adebomiiii:
Gd morning doc, pls am having serious problem with my menstruation. Am suppose to see it on13th and it came but very lite the issue now is that am having all d symptoms that i normally have during menstruation but the blood is not coming out. What shuld i do sir
Well, your menstruation is likely delayed. The spot u observed on the 13th, and the symptoms you're observing now are likely PMS related. One of the factors likely responsible for your menstrual delay is high stress level, though other factors like drugs could also be responsible.

So, if you're not on any medication, just relax your mind, cut down on stress, eat fruits and vegetables, sleep sound, rest more, and your menstruation will become regular!

You'll likely observe your flow before the week runs out!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 16, 2014
santagelo25:
@Joybik...Thanks for your response..I appreciate it alot.I am sure others will benefit from your response.I wish you speedy BFP and stressfree 9months.

@Marc9...Thanks for your reply..I actually want to clarify and be sure it has nothing to me going through sperm count issue.Before,i decided to get married to my wife,a girl took in for me but had to remove it because i was not ready then.Even while i was in school.
But i have gone for SA test and culture..There was no trace of infection in me except the zero sperm count...
Azoospermia? Your case is azoospermia? Jeez! That's critical you know! It means you're nt producing sperm at all. Your semen contains no sperm.

You should consult a gynecologist in person for help!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 16, 2014
Kasykel:
thank you i actually got it. Maybe i will buy more. But is it posible to already be ovulating by now? The bleeding stopped last week wednesday and i am think i am ovulating now
Well, I don't know if your hormones have re-adjusted after the act u did.

Once your hormones are balanced, ovulation would be re-initiated, and your expected menstrual flow would indicate ovulation has begun!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 16, 2014
adebomiiii:
@Marc9 thanks for ur quick response. what i noticed about my menstruation for d past 10 months is that there has been a reverse in my menstral flow . initially d first 3days is always very heavy and it runs for 5days but now there is no flow at all for the first 3days and it runs for 8days.
There's an underlying factor(s) behind your menstrual irregularity. I actually thought the light flow u observed was for just the present menstruation, I didn't know you've been experincing it for awhile now.

Well, I'll need to ask some questions in order to figure out the etiology behind your menstrual irregularity. I don't know if you'll mind me asking here in open, or if you rather I asked in private.

PM me or you can add me on BBM
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by TCF1980(m): 8:32am On Oct 17, 2014
@Marc9

Been long she did hormonal profile with high prolactine on day 21. However, she is on fertilaid for women and ovaboost for a while and with faith that the hormone is now balanced (by God' grace). She has 28 days cycle. She spotted on 15th, and today 17th but her mp is suppose to be 18th (tomorrow). What could be the problem? Wish is implantation spotting because we have prayed and done all we could for the past 4yrs 8months... TTC is better imagined than experienced...
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 17, 2014
TCF1980:
@Marc9

Been long she did hormonal profile with high prolactine on day 21. However, she is on fertilaid for women and ovaboost for a while and with faith that the hormone is now balanced (by God' grace). She has 28 days cycle. She spotted on 15th, and today 17th but her mp is suppose to be 18th (tomorrow). What could be the problem? Wish is implantation spotting because we have prayed and done all we could for the past 4yrs 8months... TTC is better imagined than experienced...

It could likely be implantational bleeding. Why not tell her to get Accurate PT Strips. Let her test for pregnancy either after 18th, or she could run the test tomorrow.

And yes, TTC is better imagined than experinced. But in most TTC cases, the ladies compound the issue by getting too depressed. Our mental state affects our physiological state. A lady that worries too much only impedes her chances of TTC.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by TCF1980(m): 9:44am On Oct 17, 2014
Marc9:
It could likely be implantational bleeding. Why not tell her to get Accurate PT Strips. Let her test for pregnancy either after 18th, or she could run the test tomorrow.

And yes, TTC is better imagined than experinced. But in most TTC cases, the ladies compound the issue by getting too depressed. Our mental state affects our physiological state. A lady that worries too much only impedes her chances of TTC.

Thanks Marc9. But on what day of the cycle is implantation bleeding expected?
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 17, 2014
TCF1980:

Thanks Marc9. But on what day of the cycle is implantation bleeding expected?
Not all ladies experince implantation bleeding. But for those who do, it occurs 6-10days after successful fertilization. Since fertilization would occur at mid-cycle, it means it would take place between 11th to 16th of a 28days MC.

Now let's assume it occurred on the 14th or 15th of her cycle, 10days afterwards would fall on 24th or 25th day of her cycle, and that was the 15th of october she observed the spotting.

So let's just hope the implantation was successful! And hope she misses her period tomorrow!

1 Like

Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by TCF1980(m): 11:56am On Oct 17, 2014
Marc9:
Not all ladies experince implantation bleeding. But for those who do, it occurs 6-10days after successful fertilization. Since fertilization would occur at mid-cycle, it means it would take place between 11th to 16th of a 28days MC.

Now let's assume it occurred on the 14th or 15th of her cycle, 10days afterwards would fall on 24th or 25th day of her cycle, and that was the 15th of october she observed the spotting.

So let's just hope the implantation was successful! And hope she misses her period tomorrow!

Thanks Marc9.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Mega2010(m): 6:06pm On Oct 18, 2014
!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 18, 2014
Mega2010:
I really have a big problem doctors,I need an advice on this,I've been hiv positive since 3rd year,now am a graduate,I have tendered different applications for jobs,I haven't started taking the antiretroviral drugs because my cd4 haven't gone below 500cells,I am always keeping in touch with that,but this issue of medicals before jobs are offered is really giving me concern,does it mean I won't be working in places that require tests like banks and all that,no one knows am positive in my family except just a friend,infact am just helpless...please what do I need to do and also brief me on HIV and jobs in Nigeria..thanks and God bless
Being HIV positive is not the end of life. In fact, you can be as healthy as any other negative persons, so long your CD4 count is within normal value.

Concerning your health status and getting a job, I think there's now a legislation against organisations discriminating job seekers who are HIV positive. But then, some organisations still don't honour that legislation, maybe the law makers would have to re-enact the law with emphasis.

And please, try not to be helpless, and don't get depressed about your predicament. Rather than wait for breakthrough, you can breakthrough yourself. Don't rely on getting a job or being employed, you can employ yourself, and God will see you through and heal you through, IJMN!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 19, 2014
haemi:
I was treated for malaria last week, arthemeter injection for four days; on Wednesday I discovered thru blood pregnancy test that I am pregnant. It seems I've been exposed again to mosquito bites for some days now, though I'm taking steps to avoid it. My question is will I become down with malaria again because of the bites? I'm worried because the pregnancy is still very early.
It depends on the level of exposure to the mosquitoes, and if you actually had significant amount of bites. But since you said you were administered antimalarial medication last week, you likely still have prophylactic cover from the medication against the exposure.

Of course you know, virtually all antimalarial medications are contra-indicated in early pregnancy. So you may need to start sleeping under insecticide treated net to prevent mosquito bites, as you can't afford to receive another round of antimalarial medications.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by tunde1200(m): 11:50am On Oct 19, 2014
What a wonderful work doctor almighty will reward you!.
I use to have this feelings on my hands as if no life in it almost down to my elbow!.
And my wife also complain exact the way I use to feel like as if no blood supply on to my fingers down to elbow joint.

Last year I was treated of charp pain in my left chest. I was to by the Dr. That no enough supply of blood in my heart resulted to that charp pain. Could it be another blood related issues again? Please!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
tunde1200:
What a wonderful work doctor almighty will reward you!.
I use to have this feelings on my hands as if no life in it almost down to my elbow!.
And my wife also complain exact the way I use to feel like as if no blood supply on to my fingers down to elbow joint.

Last year I was treated of charp pain in my left chest. I was to by the Dr. That no enough supply of blood in my heart resulted to that charp pain. Could it be another blood related issues again? Please!
Sir, what you're experincing in your lower arm(from hand up to the elbow) is known as Limb Infarction . It occurs when there's limited supply of blood(what they call ischemia), and could be due to emboli or atherosclerosis in the arteries that supply blood to the lower arm.

Concerning the chest pain you feel, it's most likely myocardial infarction. The coronary arteries are either obstructed by emboli or thrombus, or the arteries might actually be atherosclerosed(hardened with fatty subtance), the more reason why it's imperative to avoid high cholesterol cooking oil.

So, the pain you felt at your left chest was likely due to atherosclerosis, and that leads to myocardial infarction.

You may need to check the cholesterol level in your blood.

Avoid eating foods that contain fat, and foods cooked or fried with high cholesterol oil.

Exercise regularly so your blood vessels can dilate

Avoid alcohol and smoking if you indulge in them

Most importantly, you should rest a lot, and you'll be just fine!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by tunde1200(m): 1:04pm On Oct 19, 2014
Thanks very much sir!.

So if I engage in more execise hope to see this signs disappear.
For the smoking and drink I will try and stop it entirely. Though I do it like 2times in a week both but I need to stop it now. My wife she is also a nurse I will show her your writeup for her to know.

Also when I'm outside the country I feel cold than any one on earth abii I know stronbg be that.

Thanks once again
Marc9:
Sir, what you're experincing in your lower arm(from hand up to the elbow) is known as Limb Infarction . It occurs when there's limited supply of blood(what they call ischemia), and could be due to emboli or atherosclerosis in the arteries that supply blood to the lower arm.

Concerning the chest pain you feel, it's most likely myocardial infarction. The coronary arteries are either obstructed by emboli or thrombus, or the arteries might actually be atherosclerosed(hardened with fatty subtance), the more reason why it's imperative to avoid high cholesterol cooking oil.

So, the pain you felt at your left chest was likely due to atherosclerosis, and that leads to myocardial infarction.

You may need to check the cholesterol level in your blood.

Avoid eating foods that contain fat, and foods cooked or fried with high cholesterol oil.

Exercise regularly so your blood vessels can dilate

Avoid alcohol and smoking if you indulge in them

Most importantly, you should rest a lot, and you'll be just fine!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 19, 2014
tunde1200:
Thanks very much sir!.

So if I engage in more execise hope to see this signs disappear.
For the smoking and drink I will try and stop it entirely. Though I do it like 2times in a week both but I need to stop it now. My wife she is also a nurse I will show her your writeup for her to know.

Also when I'm outside the country I feel cold than any one on earth abii I know stronbg be that.

Thanks once again
Well, your body response to cold environment is likely responsible for that shiver you experince whenever you travel to cold regions.

Perhaps, the ascorbic acid level in you is kind of low, and immune response to curtail cold virus is weak

But like I said earlier, keep away from drinking(alcohol) and smoking. There are better liquid to drink, such as energy drink, soymilk, fruit juice, tea, and coffee(decaff).

Take fruits and vegetables to help increase vitamin 'C, E, and K' level in your body.

1 Like

Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
tundeism:
Good afternoon sir, we have had two miscarriages, after the last one we were made to understand dat my wife has hormonal imbalance dat her progesterone level was too low to get pregnant or maintain a pregnancy. We now did wat dey called verginal swop, den she collect an injection for 7 days to treat the infection, the Doctor now advice she shud use clomid for 5 days starting from the fifth day of her period, den the doctor said she will be collecting progesterone injection from second day of her ovulation day, which wil be done at intervals...please I need ur advice
Summary: your wife did HVS mcs and was told she has an infection(which wasn't specified). She was placed on medications(Inj) and later on was advised to take clomiphen citrate on the 5th day of her cycle, and was also told that she'll be placed on progesterone inj in her luteal phase at interval....... Got that then!

Now, why didn't the doctor also place you on medication since your wife was diagnosed with ST/UTI? I mean, in the course of having s*x, you would have likely contracted the infection as well. If she's treated and you're not, you would still re-infect her anytime you two indulge in s*x. That explains why she had the miscarriages, and not necessarily due to progesterone.

So go see the doctor and let him place you on medication to treat the asymptomatic infection you likely have.
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 19, 2014
tundeism:
Tank u for the response I forgot to add I was treated also, just to confirm is the Doctor is on track and is it right for us to take progesterone before confirmation weda she is pregnant or not
Yes he/she was right. Progesterone secretion is required for successful implantation and embryogenesis. It is needed in high amount in mid and late pregnancy as well.

So yes, he/she is on the track!
Re: Health Advice: Doctors Online by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
GENIUS18:
Pls doc, kindly assist to interprete this hormone profile result. The test was done, following 10 month TTC without success.

FSH: 2.9miu/ml(ref:5-20miu/ml),
LH: 10.5miu/ml(ref:5-40miu/ml),
prolactin: 13.6ng/ml(ref:1-20ng/ml), progesterone:4.6(2-25ng/ml)
Estradiol: 24.8pg/ml(ref: early follicular=30-100, luteal=60-150).

Summary : low FSH& Estradiol.

The menstral cycle is usually 26 days & quite regular . The doctor said it might be PCOS(due to the LH/FSH ratio) but she is not sure.
Pls what medication can be taken to correct the low FSH? Someone mentioned Clomid, but need more confirmation. Thanks
Well, it might actually be PCOS. Although, Such conclusion would require other signs like menstrual irregularities, high androgen secretion, and anovulation.

The someone who mentioned the clomid is right, so long the someone is still the same lady(doc)!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Surgery Gone Wrong: Dr Anu Gave Me An Infection - Lady Cries Out (Graphic Photo) / Nigerian Defence Academy Produces Ventilators To Curb COVID-19 (Photos) / 10 Surprising Facts About Breasts You May Have Missed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.