Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,982 members, 7,909,645 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 10:07 AM

Vlan - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Vlan (760 Views)

How Doea Vlan Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vlan by gradewilli: 8:12pm On Oct 26, 2008
plz i just wanna ask question about routing protocols

is it possible to configure ospf or ripv2 in vlan networks that have over 500 hosts for routing purposes,
Re: Vlan by Templa(m): 10:26am On Oct 28, 2008
shocked
Re: Vlan by paribus(m): 10:45pm On Oct 28, 2008
You'll need to consider the number of VLANs these 500 hosts are grouped into. 500 hosts might seems a large size but really depends on how many VLANs in question here and how geographically dispersed the 500 hosts with regards to your network topology.

Ideally for routing between VLANs, you want to consider three options:

1. Router on a stick (using router subinterfaces) where all the (core) LAN switches are located in the proximity of a router - possibly in the same rack.

2. Multilayer switching where your LAN switches are capable of layer 3 routing.

3. Dedicated router interfaces for each VLANs

In all cases - really depending on the number of VLANs, I think you would normally consider using static routes when routing between VLANs before using routing protocols even though you are able to use routing protocols such as OSPF (an overkill in my opinion for this) or RIPv2. Regards
Re: Vlan by gradewilli: 3:12pm On Oct 30, 2008
yeah paribus u r fuckin genius, lol

u rite im going to use ospf, but router is very essential to use in this scenario rather that using switches that can perform routing,

plz i like to design a vlan network solution for a large company , they currently have 600 hosts split into 8 departments over two sites.

site 1

sales , 150
corporate sales, 100
marketing , 92
accounts, 58

site 2

publishing, 83
warehouse, 68
admin, 64
hr, 36

each site has one 2600 series router, it has one serial port and one fast ethernet port

the address has been allocated, 172.16.0.0

Tasks to be done
complete a fully working network solution for this company
use the three layer hierarchical model to choose appropriate devices
detail an appropriate vlan implementation for the hosts
summarize the vlsm addressing scheme you will utilise

all i need plz a correct vslm addressing to compare to what i have got and a little bit of explanations would be appreciated plz and also how many switches and routers to be used in each departments

i jst want you to get more ideas about tis network thats why i posted it, i have got most of it done , jst makin sure i got it right

can you plz explain a bit more , about the routing protocols , is-is or ospf which protocol is good for this network, i can only choose one of these protocols.

(1) (Reply)

Info Where I Can Dwnld Mp3 Free / Abuja It Professional's Directory / How Can I Browse With Glo In My Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.