Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,724 members, 7,879,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 01:20 PM

Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain (44223 Views)

What Caffeine Does To Our Systems / What Ebola Does To The Skin (pictures)! / Benefits And Effects Of Cups Of Coffee A Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by stingbreed(m): 1:01am On Sep 01, 2014
Coffee wakes you up in the morning and keeps you alert throughout the day, but how does its magic ingredient actually work?
The first thing to know is that part of your natural tiredness comes from a molecule called adenosine, which is produced by your body while it chugs along through the day. "While you sleep, the concentration of adenosine declines, gradually promoting wakefulness. Meanwhile, the more adenosine that builds up, the sleepier you feel.

Your morning coffee is able to hijack that process because caffeine looks a lot like adenosine to your brain cells:

Because of its similar shape, caffeine can bind to the adenosine receptors in your brain. Once the caffeine is locked into adenosine's rightful spot though, there is no way for the adenosine to stick around — which prevents it from building up and making you sleepy.

Without the molecule that usually induces exhaustion, "our natural stimulants run wild," Joseph Stromberg writes in Smithsonian. The result? You feel wide awake — at least for a while.

But all good things must come to an end, and your brain quickly wises up to your tricks.

When the adenosine is continually blocked from binding to its receptors, your body eventually creates more receptors — which means you need even more caffeine to plug them up. This can make kicking your coffee habit increasingly difficult, and make you need more and more caffeine to stay alert.

"When you try to quit drinking coffee or miss your daily intake, you might experience some withdrawal symptoms and feel more tired than you would have before you ever drank coffee."

But caffeine does more than just block adenosine. It can also pump up your levels of adrenaline and boost your mood — "the exact same thing cocaine does, just to a lesser degree,"

20 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by ncoolboiy(m): 1:10am On Sep 01, 2014
Good To Know... What of energy drinks

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by stingbreed(m): 1:13am On Sep 01, 2014
Energy drinks that contain caffeine do almost the same thing to our bodies,,, that's why it's advised you check a product carefully before you consume

5 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by stingbreed(m): 1:24am On Sep 01, 2014
ncoolboiy: Good Know... What of energy drinks
Caffeine is a naturally occurring chemical stimulant called trimethylxanthine. Its chemical formula is C8H10N4O2.
It is a drug, and actually shares a number of traits with more notorious drugs such as amphetamines, cocaine and heroin.
Caffeine uses the same biochemical mechanisms as these other drugs to stimulate brainfunction: If you feel like your mind is racing after drinking one too many energy drinks, you're not imagining things.
In its pure form, caffeine is a white crystalline powder that tastes very bitter. It is medically useful to stimulate the heartand also serves as a mild diuretic, increasing urine production to flush fluid out of the body.
Caffeine has been an integral part of global culture for hundreds of years. African folklore sets the discovery of coffee's energizing properties around 800 A.D., European and Asian accounts indicate that coffee and tea were local staples as early as the 1400s. Although coffee was often seen as a rare luxury for societies far removed from coffee-growing regions, foods and drinks made from other caffeine-containing plants were likely part of humankind's medical and nutritional arsenal since before recorded history.
Today, caffeine is used much as it has been for generations: It provides a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. Many former students can recall using strong coffee or caffeine pills to stay awake while cramming for finals. Likewise, drivers on long road tripsoften fill their cup holders with energy drinks or convenience-store coffees to help them push through to their destinations.
Remember, though, that caffeine shares some traits of those much harder drugs -- including the ability to cause addiction. Many people feel as though they cannot function in the morning without a cup of coffee (and its caffeine-powered boost) to kick-start the day. Caffeine's effects may be much milder than those of illicit drugs, but kicking a caffeine habit can be difficult for someone who has made the drug a large part of his or her diet and lifestyle.
Caffeine is unlike many other drugs in that it is abundant in what we eat and drink.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by TeamclicksAir: 10:54am On Sep 01, 2014
hmmmmmmm
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 01, 2014
But I like coffee cry

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 01, 2014
We have an addict in my office, she takes Nescafe three in one (3 sachets) morning and 3 sachets in the afternoon, the thing done dry her skin, yet she no want hear.

The energy part is very true about her too.

8 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by aywhy93(m): 10:55am On Sep 01, 2014
Really ? Anyways, this cannot stop me from taking my dear Coffee.. I just love Coffee, I mean real Coffee... tongue

4 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 01, 2014
Really.

1 Like

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by aboyaji(m): 10:57am On Sep 01, 2014
i dont do coffee
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by jnrbayano(m): 10:57am On Sep 01, 2014
I can take a cup of coffee in the morning and won't feel hungry till evening.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by chinemerem26(m): 10:57am On Sep 01, 2014
Hunger does the same to me... hungry man is an agile man. Right post @ d ryt time.

4 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Jostico: 10:58am On Sep 01, 2014
i no fit read am finish.he too long..but that aside GOD has made our brain effective.so any one when you dey add.na u come know ooo

2 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by aboyaji(m): 10:58am On Sep 01, 2014
kennygee: We have an addict in my office, she takes Nescafe three in one (3 sachets) morning and 3 sachets in the afternoon, the thing done dry her skin, yet she no want hear.
she d form white lady by force

1 Like

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by esteltiarra: 10:59am On Sep 01, 2014
l dont joke with my early morning coffee.......atleast 1cup of hot coffee in the morning keeps me going for the whole day and sometimes l also take another cup before l go to bed......... smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 01, 2014
dont drink coffee
it turns you into a zombie shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by priscaoge(f): 10:59am On Sep 01, 2014
I love Coffee with honey!

4 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Jostico: 11:00am On Sep 01, 2014
abeg is this advertisement??eeya if i still remember that game yesterday...arsenal draw.chai.
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Tundeiab(m): 11:00am On Sep 01, 2014
stingbreed: Caffeine is a naturally occurring chemical stimulant called trimethylxanthine. Its chemical formula is C8H10N4O2.
It is a drug, and actually shares a number of traits with more notorious drugs such as amphetamines, cocaine and heroin.
Caffeine uses the same biochemical mechanisms as these other drugs to stimulate brainfunction: If you feel like your mind is racing after drinking one too many energy drinks, you're not imagining things.
In its pure form, caffeine is a white crystalline powder that tastes very bitter. It is medically useful to stimulate the heartand also serves as a mild diuretic, increasing urine production to flush fluid out of the body.
Caffeine has been an integral part of global culture for hundreds of years. African folklore sets the discovery of coffee's energizing properties around 800 A.D., European and Asian accounts indicate that coffee and tea were local staples as early as the 1400s. Although coffee was often seen as a rare luxury for societies far removed from coffee-growing regions, foods and drinks made from other caffeine-containing plants were likely part of humankind's medical and nutritional arsenal since before recorded history.
Today, caffeine is used much as it has been for generations: It provides a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. Many former students can recall using strong coffee or caffeine pills to stay awake while cramming for finals. Likewise, drivers on long road tripsoften fill their cup holders with energy drinks or convenience-store coffees to help them push through to their destinations.
Remember, though, that caffeine shares some traits of those much harder drugs -- including the ability to cause addiction. Many people feel as though they cannot function in the morning without a cup of coffee (and its caffeine-powered boost) to kick-start the day. Caffeine's effects may be much milder than those of illicit drugs, but kicking a caffeine habit can be difficult for someone who has made the drug a large part of his or her diet and lifestyle.
Caffeine is unlike many other drugs in that it is abundant in what we eat and drink. Read on to learn more about what foods provide most of the world's caffeine, and discover the many ways in which consuming caffeine has become part of global culture.
BROS NA YOUR TYPE WE NEED TO FIND CURE TO EBOLA O. grin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Segadem(m): 11:01am On Sep 01, 2014
Jostico: abeg is this advertisement??eeya if i still remember that game yesterday...arsenal draw.chai.
port to Chelsea.
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 01, 2014
kennygee: We have an addict in my office, she takes Nescafe three in one (3 sachets) morning and 3 sachets in the afternoon, the thing done dry her skin, yet she no want hear.

The energy part is very true about her too.

Hahahaha. Never knew caffeine could dry someone's skin.

2 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by epospiky(m): 11:02am On Sep 01, 2014
Hey! Is that not addiction of some sort? I mean the part you feel unusually weak when you cease taking it for a while.
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Segadem(m): 11:02am On Sep 01, 2014
Ladystewie: dont drink coffee
it turns you into a zombie shocked shocked
says who?

1 Like

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 01, 2014
news fr d gurlzgrin
so bfr going tu d club.... yu knw wad to do
and upon all d research e no gt cure for ebola
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by priscaoge(f): 11:02am On Sep 01, 2014
Sometimes when I want to read in d night in school,I will take coffee because it keeps me awake.

Kachisbarbie how do u see this thread about coffeegringrin
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nmeri17: 11:03am On Sep 01, 2014
plot 1 nairaland avenue otta Lagos. omonile keep off angry angry
Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Whizzdom(m): 11:03am On Sep 01, 2014
For me, It reduces fat or high cholesterol in the body system.

I like Lipton or Top Tea .....

I like to be slim ..... jus like the South Koreans

I wanna be slim ...... and look smart and sharp

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by stingbreed(m): 11:03am On Sep 01, 2014
Tundeiab: BROS NA YOUR TYPE WE NEED TO FIND CURE TO EBOLA O. grin
we are working on that.. Lol grin

3 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by rattlesnake(m): 11:03am On Sep 01, 2014
No comment

1 Like

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 01, 2014
wat of AGBO?

2 Likes

Re: Here Is What Coffee Actually Does To Your Brain by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 01, 2014
[size=28pt]O REALLY[/size] shocked shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Narrow Escape from Incurable Sti / How To Do A Home Pregnancy Test All By Your Self Before Your Period / Entrance Of Lagos University Teaching Hospital Will Shock You (photo)

Viewing this topic: Zubbix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.