Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,207 members, 7,919,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 03:08 PM

Who Is A Guy With Potential? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is A Guy With Potential? (33685 Views)

Right Age To Get Married As A Guy! / How Much Should A Potential Nigerian Husband Earn? / Why Do Some Mothers Reject Potential Suitors For Their Daughters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 7:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: It's a different strokes for different folks thang, methinks

Any commonalities?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by crackhaus: 7:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: LoL cheesy There's nothing I say now that Ihedi hasn't, albeit in different words. You get?
If you say so smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 8:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
pickabeau1:

Any commonalities?
Like someone said, (can't remember who) "We're all trying to be different, ain't it exactly what makes us the same?" Now to directly answer your ? I think, at the base....we ladies're all in pursuit of one thing; Happiness smiley
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 8:23pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: Like someone said, (can't remember who) "We're all trying to be different, ain't it exactly what makes us the same?" Now to directly answer your ? I think, at the base....we ladies're all in pursuit of one thing; Happiness smiley

And what are the characteristics or expression of this happiness?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by MizMyColi(f): 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
pickabeau1:

And what are the characteristics or expression of this happiness?
it boils down to having a security of sorts. For some, its emotional. for others, its financial/material. There are 3 more, I can't remember now.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by tlops(m): 9:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
Tallesty1: The guy has a problem.

Methinks a guy with potential is a guy who has set his goals and is seriously working to achieve them. It can be seen by everybody that he is relentless. This guys rarely have time for distractors (aka girlfriends)

And when the guy finally hits it at 40 and single, you will be asking what was he looking?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 9:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
MizMyColi: it boils down to having a security of sorts. For some, its emotional. for others, its financial/material. There are 3 more, I can't remember now.

Ok

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by 2scorehigh(m): 12:28am On Sep 05, 2014
rickkid: All I see here is ladies who wish to reap where they did not sow.

Guys I'm sorry, but getting married and making someone your babies' mother is not a privilege but an absolutely normal human process. In the most remote, poverty stricken dump in rural Congo, people do get married and life goes on. All this talk about money and potential is what happens because we live in a prosperous and relatively stable, peaceful country. Had it been this is Syria and you're in a Christian town under siege from ISIL and you don't know whether you'll be alive tomorrow, then you'll know what is really important in life.

Any woman who treats relationships as mix n match, cash n carry, body rental arrangement in my opinion is actually not different from a pro5titute at Allen Avenue. Those ones are even better because they don't play with people's emotions and they tell the truth - it's all about the money. Not that one will get to the level of meeting the man's family only to jump ship as soon as someone with more zeroes on his balance sheet winks at her - that quite frankly is an ashawo tendency and anyone has been treated that way by a woman should thank his stars for dodging the ultimate bullet - getting permanently joined to a hussy who will sleep with your friends, her boss at work, NYSC camp commandant, platoon leader, random guysand then come home and complain of stomach ache when the husband is trying to get laid after a stressful day at work.

Abeg just run. No woman is worth your joy in life.

Simple.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by EzekielMab(m): 1:42am On Sep 05, 2014
cococandy: Some guys mistake potential to be plans or dreams. Hence a graduate young man hoping to get a job at Shell while doing some unfulfiling job will think he has potential because he's educated and has big dreams.

Potential is the guy who turns lemon into lemonade.

He's focused and doesn't waste his time regaling the babe with his 'plans' for the future.

He's calculative.
The guy who didn't get a job when he left school but his shop that he started with 200k is worth millions now because he doesn't mind traveling to the north or to Togo to buy goods cheaper and doesn't mind driving a keke napep to deliver his goods to his clients on time. Thereby creating a huge customer base and more success from his little capital.

Potential is not by mouth.
If you're driven,it won't be a secret.
You are not just beautiful, you have brain... Beauty with brain
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by red101(f): 5:09am On Sep 05, 2014
Olaone1:
When options are limited.
Or, in our 30s

exactly. So when our partner doesn't live up to the standard, we make ourselves feel better by saying that they have "potential." It's good to be hopeful, isn't it?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by maclatunji: 6:45am On Sep 05, 2014
I am beginniing to hate the word "potential" but it is something every young lady should look for in any man she considers for marriage.

Is he a potential cheat, wife-beater, drunkard, irresponsible husband etc?

Is he potentially a great family man, good provider, manager and leader?

A lot of questions.

We men too should try to fulfill positive potentials we have and remember that genuine success comes with 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

A colleague recently told me that I underestimate myself a lot, I told her I have to because I am yet to fulfill a good part of my potential.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by raumdeuter: 6:48am On Sep 05, 2014
@Nashville,

If that man suddenly by a stroke of luck wins Lagos lotto of say 50m, He would suddenly become a man with potential
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 7:40am On Sep 05, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin
raumdeuter: @Nashville,

If that man suddenly by a stroke of luck wins Lagos lotto of say 50m, He would suddenly become a man with potential
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Odunharry(m): 7:47am On Sep 05, 2014
pickabeau1:

On a ketro level..metaphysical.. cheesy

How come some women generally don't use these same parameters for guys
gbam....

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 05, 2014
raumdeuter: @Nashville,

Let's even get more realistic. If he suddenly got a 20 million a year job in Chevron, does he then have potential? If the answer is yes, then we will all understand better
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 05, 2014
Nashville:

Let's even get more realistic. If he suddenly got a 20 million a year job in Chevron, does he then have potential? If the answer is yes, then we will all understand better

Of course . . . . Just like the 419 scammer who drives a Porsche and lives in St Johns Wood too has potential

And knowing what his eyes saw in the hands of some fickle women when he was struggling, he also has the potential to be a cheat, abuser, and a "dont you dare ask my why I came back late" kind of man . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 05, 2014
chaircover:

Of course . . . . Just like the 419 scammer who drives a Porsche and lives in St Johns Wood too has potential

And knowing what his eyes saw in the hands of some fickle women when he was struggling, he also has the potential to be a cheat, abuser, and a "dont you dare ask my why I came back late" kind of man . . . . .

Thank you CC,

So everyone is agreed that Nigerians measure potential by a man's current earnings and has nothing to you with a perceived future or a man's effort etc.

I just want to be sure of this one before we now start talking about how he made the money.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by cococandy(f): 8:32am On Sep 05, 2014
Thank you smiley
EzekielMab: You are not just beautiful, you have brain... Beauty with brain
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 05, 2014
Nashville:

Thank you CC,

So everyone is agreed that Nigerians measure potential by a man's current earnings and has nothing to you with a perceived future or a man's effort etc.

I just want to be sure of this one before we now start talking about how he made the money.

I havent read every single post on this thread, but it seems that some people put a mans current earning power above other important things, when infact they should be looking at the whole package.

Its a waste and sad that some good decent guys are not even being given a chance or looked becasue they lack "potential" ie money and many women forget that just as you want a man because of his riches potential , so do tens of other women want him too so you are in a battle from day one and you then overlook other vices he has just becasue you dont want to let go of him.

We hear horror stories everyday and it makes one wonder how some people managed get themselves tangled up with some sorts of men, but it may well be that their judgement was overclouded by the mans "potentials".

As for the source of wealth, I dont think that really matters. Dont Armed robbers, ritualists, theiving Govt workers and Yahoo plus boys have wives and girlfriends?
It is well & I hope that some people dont end up with fake goods at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 05, 2014
chaircover:

I havent read every single post on this thread, but it seems that some people put a mans current earning power above other important things, when infact they should be looking at the whole package.

Its a waste and sad that some good decent guys are not even being given a chance or looked becasue they lack "potential" ie money and many women forget that just as you want a man because of his riches potential , so do tens of other women want him too so you are in a battle from day one and you then overlook other vices he has just becasue you dont want to let go of him.

We hear horror stories everyday and it makes one wonder how some people managed get themselves tangled up with some sorts of men, but it may well be that their judgement was overclouded by the mans "potentials".

As for the source of wealth, I dont think that really matters. Dont Armed robbers, ritualists, theiving Govt workers and Yahoo plus boys have wives and girlfriends?
It is well & I hope that some people dont end up with fake goods at the end of the day.

Absolutely agree. I also want to add that it creates a bad psychological effect on the guy's. If the guy who never got a decent girl because he didn't have money, the day he makes it; he isn't going to treat any lady right. He will be all out to use them and dump them, cos afterall, they are only there for his money.

He will now end up marrying one unfortunate girl who considers herself lucky to be the chosen one. Unfortunately for her, na she go suffer pass!
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by bellong: 9:02am On Sep 05, 2014
chaircover:

The thinking of an average Nigerian girl about a man with potential is strictly "Earning Power". It is not just that he works, where he work also is very very very important. I have had cause to interact with a whole lot to understand their psyche on this issue. Only the desperate ones care less about the money earning power factor.

An example was a lady I met during the days of my searching. She used to live in the same town with a friend of mine. My friend was working in a bank while I was in the public service. She liked my friend due to his earning potential and she believed my civil service salary cannot cater for her "loads".

She changed her mind to my proposal after one week of giving her consent. The state I was at the time pays her civil servants minimum wage of 12k naira, she calculated my worth in her myopic mind. She didn't know I was working with a federal parastatal.

She went after my friend, telling him that it was him she wanted from day one bla bla bla....

Immediately, I signed out of her life without looking back. Today, though not married but she is cohabiting with a man full of potentials and that one handles her his own way.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 9:18am On Sep 05, 2014
Nashville:

Absolutely agree. I also want to add that it creates a bad psychological effect on the guy's. If the guy who never got a decent girl because he didn't have money, the day he makes it; he isn't going to treat any lady right. He will be all out to use them and dump them, cos afterall, they are only there for his money.

He will now end up marrying one unfortunate girl who considers herself lucky to be the chosen one. Unfortunately for her, na she go suffer pass!

You got that right! If the man is more conscientious, he may simply ignore marriage and women altogether. There is a reason that men are marrying later and later these days than ever. And when you think about it, the later the age at which men marry the fewer the women who get married in their prime. Because it still is largely a myth that women marry men who are already established.

Men who are already established got there either with the help of some lady who stuck with them and kept them going or in spite of those women that walked away when he needed them most. Either way, such men are no longer truly available. I'm sure there is a percentage that is outside of those two groups but I daresay it's too small to reckon with.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 9:25am On Sep 05, 2014
bellong:

The thinking of an average Nigerian girl about a man with potential is strictly "Earning Power". It is not just that he works, where he work also is very very very important. I have had cause to interact with a whole lot to understand their psyche on this issue. Only the desperate ones care less about the money earning power factor.

An example was a lady I met during the days of my searching. She used to live in the same town with a friend of mine. My friend was working in a bank while I was in the public service. She liked my friend due to his earning potential and she believed my civil service salary cannot cater for her "loads".

She changed her mind to my proposal after one week of giving her consent. The state I was at the time pays her civil servants minimum wage of 12k naira, she calculated my worth in her myopic mind. She didn't know I was working with a federal parastatal.

She went after my friend, telling him that it was him she wanted from day one bla bla bla....

Immediately, I signed out of her life without looking back. Today, though not married but she is cohabiting with a man full of potentials and that one handles her his own way.

First I laughed my äss out after reading this. Then I just felt pity. This is why although I do agree with cococandy that a man with potential is not one who is forever talking about what he will do, I think it is necessary to point out that a man headed somewhere talks to those coming along with him and ensures that they understand.

In my last relationship, what hurt me more than anything was how hard it was to communicate with my ex. I could talk till I was blue in the face but nothing appeared to be getting through. How could she believe in me if she wasn't even hearing me? And how could she commit to me if she didn't believe that my "dreams" made any kind of sense? So, the poor lady in your story just didn't get the federal parastatal part either because she wasn't paying attention or because you didn't tell her. I feel sorry for women who go hedging their bets and juggling things for their own maximum benefit. They stand to lose a hell of a lot.

So again I say: commit. Buy into the dream. Give yourself to it. When you realize it with him, you know you're not eating stolen or borrowed food. What is do difficult to understand about that, I wonder?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by WoodcrestMayor(m): 9:50am On Sep 05, 2014
As much as I agree with many of the preceeding posts,I'll add dat most ladies are superficial.
Most ladies would date a guy with some job or without one if is parents are boxed.If he uses one of his dad's numerous cars den itz settled.
We can measure potential using different yardsticks.Some will get it right,some will miss it;only God knows.
Let the truth be said.There's no woman in this country who wants to "suffer" with any man.The sad part is dat many of them know the story of their parents.Some didn't get the desired breakthrough till dey were 40 and wen it came,it was massive.You see some of these girls,as cream as they can be,were managing some years back but suddenly their dads' stories changed and they immediately lost it. Taking from gentleman's earlier post-one will chase a thousand,two ten thousand.Let us not forget the drive a woman can provide.Men naturally tend to be carefree and take rash decisions.Women are calmer and they think tins tru most times tho emotions get the better of them on a number of occasions.
Having said all,a woman shld see signs of hard work and diligence backed up by reasonable earnings..Let it be clear that even if a man earns millions per year,marrige is a life time journey and it will take a lover and a home maker to keep him level headed and also continually increase his earnings.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by bellong: 10:36am On Sep 05, 2014
ihedinobi2:

First I laughed my äss out after reading this. Then I just felt pity. This is why although I do agree with cococandy that a man with potential is not one who is forever talking about what he will do, I think it is necessary to point out that a man headed somewhere talks to those coming along with him and ensures that they understand.

In my last relationship, what hurt me more than anything was how hard it was to communicate with my ex. I could talk till I was blue in the face but nothing appeared to be getting through. How could she believe in me if she wasn't even hearing me? And how could she commit to me if she didn't believe that my "dreams" made any kind of sense? So, the poor lady in your story just didn't get the federal parastatal part either because she wasn't paying attention or because you didn't tell her. I feel sorry for women who go hedging their bets and juggling things for their own maximum benefit. They stand to lose a hell of a lot.

So again I say: commit. Buy into the dream. Give yourself to it. When you realize it with him, you know you're not eating stolen or borrowed food. What is do difficult to understand about that, I wonder?

One can only explain and talk things through to someone willing to listen.

Moreover, it would have been counter productive to let her understand the difference between a federal and state civil service. She was in it for the money, if she wouldn't hold on to a state civil servant, there was no need to go on.

Right mind and focus are very important.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by bukatyne(f): 11:01am On Sep 05, 2014
Why don't we all dig deep into this 'potentials' talk?

If our fore mothers were willing to marry 'non-potential' men and somehow things got twisted to ladies only marrying men that have 'potentials' or 'manifestation', what do we think went wrong?

Keep in mind that most mothers trained their daughters to look for potentials in men

What do you think made mothers willing to marry non-potential advice their daughters against marrying same?
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 11:57am On Sep 05, 2014
bellong:

One can only explain and talk things through to someone willing to listen.

Moreover, it would have been counter productive to let her understand the difference between a federal and state civil service. She was in it for the money, if she wouldn't hold on to a state civil servant, there was no need to go on.

Right mind and focus are very important.
You are very right, sir. It is impossible to get through to someone who's not even there in the first place.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by ihedinobi2: 11:59am On Sep 05, 2014
bukatyne: Why don't we all dig deep into this 'potentials' talk?

If our fore mothers were willing to marry 'non-potential' men and somehow things got twisted to ladies only marrying men that have 'potentials' or 'manifestation', what do we think went wrong?

Keep in mind that most mothers trained their daughters to look for potentials in men

What do you think made mothers willing to marry non-potential advice their daughters against marrying same?

I think you mean our grandmothers. The preoccupation with material well-being and comfort is relatively new.
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by bukatyne(f): 1:46pm On Sep 05, 2014
ihedinobi2:
I think you mean our grandmothers. The preoccupation with material well-being and comfort is relatively new.

And my question is 'why this preoccupation'?

Afterall, values are passed down from our fore/grandmothers to us
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by EzekielMab(m): 1:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
cococandy: Thank you smiley
u welcome
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by pickabeau1: 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
ihedinobi2:
bukatyne:
And my question is 'why this preoccupation'?
Afterall, values are passed down from our fore/grandmothers to us

On the contrary it is not new

In the old days, the scion of rich men or those who had large farms/barns had both the pick of the women in quality and quantity
Exceptions to these wer artists who were opportuned toget breaks or were favored by rich patron

Its always been about the money
Re: Who Is A Guy With Potential? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2014
cococandy: Some guys mistake potential to be plans or dreams. Hence a graduate young man hoping to get a job at Shell while doing some unfulfiling job will think he has potential because he's educated and has big dreams.

Potential is the guy who turns lemon into lemonade.

He's focused and doesn't waste his time regaling the babe with his 'plans' for the future.

He's calculative.
The guy who didn't get a job when he left school but his shop that he started with 200k is worth millions now because he doesn't mind traveling to the north or to Togo to buy goods cheaper and doesn't mind driving a keke napep to deliver his goods to his clients on time. Thereby creating a huge customer base and more success from his little capital.

Potential is not by mouth.
If you're driven,it won't be a secret.
the best comment! Respect, ma'am!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Is It Too Late To Start Looking For A Wife At 36 Years Old ? / Is It Okay For A 20-Year-Old Girl To Marry? / Help As My Sister-in-law Is On The Verge Of Cheating On My Brother.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.