Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,349 members, 7,884,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 03:25 PM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (82176 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by kelnas(m): 10:30pm On Oct 12, 2014
John 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

on the last day Mary will also give account of her life to God.
chatolics, also protestants, everone wlll do the same.. even Mary cannot intercede for you guys on that day cos she would be busy with God giving her details on how she spent her life on earth.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hebrews 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment...
pls my brothers and sisters in Christ, Jesus is the only Mediator, intercessor to God. No Shortcuts.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by sheunfemix: 10:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
unongu:

Pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.
cheesy she should pray for u. Someone dat doesn't even knw u are calling her name. What prof do u have that she hears u @ all. All prayers and supplications goes to God and Christ is our only Advocate. If Joseph was to marry someone else Marry wudnt be recognised @ all. Joseph was d one from d lineage of David of whom d birth of the Messiah came from. Jesus himself didn't give so much reference to her as u do.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by samplegirl(f): 10:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
SalC:
We extend it to all the saints

And who told you who a SAINT is? Na una dey judge naw?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

she isn't my mother, and she isn't our mother. and your understanding of that passage is wrong.

pls enlighten me
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by suzanntui(f): 10:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
Come guy stop talking trash about the catholic church and go try solve the pentecostal churches problem, God will soon open all the anus of this pastors you just wait and see lol
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Isodice: 10:50pm On Oct 12, 2014
Weah96:

You're confused, just like the authors of Matthew and Luke.
http://www.sullivan-county.com/identity/gen_jesus.htm
come o! Wea u frm sef??
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by unongu(m): 10:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Question: "What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"

Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as "highly favoured" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "highly favoured" comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means "much grace." Mary received God’s grace.

Grace is "unmerited favour," meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47, “. . . and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour. . .”

Mary recognized that she needed the Saviour. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favoured (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Saviour, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8.)

Mary did not have an "immaculate conception." The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares, "But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus."

The word "until" clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.

One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed" (Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response? "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it" (Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Saviour.

Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.

Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.

The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels: "Worship God!" (see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/virgin-Mary.html#ixzz3CGQKef6b
Though the Bible did not 'explicitly' record the assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence! For instance, Many churches and cities claimed to be the resting place of saints and the holders of their relics. Rome for instance, holds the bodies of Saints Peter and Paul. Some saints were so highly venerated that there were actually two or more places who claimed to hold their physical remains!

But while there are two places which claim to be place where Mary was assumed into Heaven (Jerusalem and Ephesus) nowhere claimed to have her bones. As can clearly be seen by reading the Church Fathers and the Bible, Mary was a very important figure in the early Church. It would be entirely likely that her relics would be venerated. But they are not – nowhere claims to have the physical remains of the Mother of God! Other saints – Peter, Paul, Andrew, James and John – all have relics, but Mary does not. There has to be a very good reason for this – the one which the Catholic Church teaches is that there were no relics to be found, as she was assumed bodily into Heaven.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by SalC: 10:53pm On Oct 12, 2014
samplegirl:

And who told you who a SAINT is? Na una dey judge naw?
And who told you who is a believer, am surprised you don't know every believer is a saint. Read 1 cor 1:1-2
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by EXILE(m): 10:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
Nnatom,thank u very much for defending d Catholic Church,Ur words inspired me more towards devotion to Mother Mary.Be Blessed!

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by EXILE(m): 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2014
All this disagreement btw Protestants and Catholics originated from Martin Luther's misinterpretation of d Original Scripture nd the Doctrine of the Church.The mistake has been made,all we have to do is amendment.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Syncan(m): 11:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
sheunfemix:
cheesy she should pray for u. Someone dat doesn't even knw u are calling her name. What prof do u have that she hears u @ all. All prayers and supplications goes to God and Christ is our only Advocate. If Joseph was to marry someone else Marry wudnt be recognised @ all. Joseph was d one from d lineage of David of whom d birth of the Messiah came from. Jesus himself didn't give so much reference to her as u do.

When I saw the bold, I knew you either must be high on alcohol, drugs or just ignorant.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by samplegirl(f): 11:14pm On Oct 12, 2014
SalC:
And who told you who is a believer, am surprised you don't know every believer is a saint. Read 1 cor 1:1-2

Hmmmm!!!! I see. I don't know ooooooooooooooo. Tell me something but spare the details as I am not ready for any form of incoherent logic.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Geenickel(m): 11:21pm On Oct 12, 2014
big upz to all da catholics in da house...

Mary remains d most pure n humble creature..... never u go agnst ds....

sooo much to comend abt her....sweet mumsy!!!
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by SalC: 11:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
samplegirl:

Hmmmm!!!! I see. I don't know ooooooooooooooo. Tell me something but spare the details as I am not ready for any form of incoherent logic.
I have no need for the said logic anyway, I gave you a clear verse where Paul refer to believers as saints, all you need to do is read, if you can answer the question on how you know a believer, then you have answered how you know a saint, except you mean to tell me Paul is wrong, then I will spread out my tentacles while you prove him wrong.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by treach(m): 11:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
Dux01:
pls i want you to answer this question.don't get angry.was mary a sinner like us that needed to be forgiven or she was sinless like Jesus.

This is the mother of our Lord u are talking about. If she was then Jesus was born with sin.. guess u no that God never lies..SHE WAS NOT A SINNER. .
And for mary having other children, it never happened.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by kelnas(m): 11:47pm On Oct 12, 2014
nd it goes on nd on...

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by steve002(m): 11:49pm On Oct 12, 2014
In Rev chap 12 the bible tells us about a dragon that is after the descendant of mary. Dont allow yourself to be used.

Non catholics when will all these argument end? Practice what you believe and live catholics alone.

Queen of Nigeria Pray for us!
Ave!
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by incofab(m): 12:09am On Oct 13, 2014
SalC:
SalC:

please, let's not misinterpret things. KJV says in
1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, CALLED TO BE SAINTS, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
The word, "to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints" doesn't mean that every believer is a saint. A better interpretation is that all saints are believers but surely all believers are not saints.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by mirexxx(f): 12:39am On Oct 13, 2014
Chibueze291994:
we only honour mary
we do not worship her.
Truly no one goes to the father except through christ, but
some are also in a better position to pray for us that's where we talk about mediator. let's take a look at what happened in canaan.
u should also honour d prophets too na, they did greater things than your blessed virgin
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by incofab(m): 12:48am On Oct 13, 2014
The argument on whether Blessed Mary has other children or not will neva cease, Even the 4th century theologians had different opinions on that.
However, One thing is pristine clear, SHE MUST BE REVERED as it's stated that "all generations shall call her blessed" and the fact our Lord Jesus did a miracle even when it wasn't time shows how important her intercession can be.
From "Revelation 8:4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand" we understand that the prayers of the saints reaches d Almighty God, How about the prayer the Blessed Mother "full of grace"? Immaculate conception has happened once in this life, why was she the choice?
Whether she later had more children will not take away her honour.
A practical example has always been given that "Sometimes it's easier to beg the mother of someone you've offended to help u talk to her son than go to the person directly"
We pray to God through Jesus Christ but we can also call on the Blessed mother to intercede between us and her son Jesus Christ. What happened in Fatima, 1917 was no fluke.
It's my opinion anyway...
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by mirexxx(f): 12:54am On Oct 13, 2014
nnatom:

so are u saying a sinner carried Christ for nine month in an unclean body. use ur head bro.
being a virgin doesn't make her sinless! do you know if she lies or keeps malice? she was a human being lyk any of us here and God can use me or you for any purpose. all have sinned. jesus came into her life 2 perfect it sef.God can use anybody. rahab was a prostitute yet God used her. u should also honour Abraham,Isaac,Jacob,Noah,Isaiah, Paul,Jeremiah,moses etc
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Weah96: 2:32am On Oct 13, 2014
Isodice:
come o! Wea u frm sef??

Planet earth, just like you, the giant floating rock in the sky.

Where are you?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Weah96: 2:38am On Oct 13, 2014
Catholics are very ho)rny people in general. I wonder if it has something to do with staring at the face of a beautiful woman all day and night.

That is the wrong way to treat the mother of God, pretending to adore her while subliminally generating a woody with her beauty.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Weah96: 2:41am On Oct 13, 2014
Weah96:

Planet earth, just like you, the giant floating rock in the sky.

Where are you?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by donkennedy005: 2:49am On Oct 13, 2014
btoks:
So, from your sola scriptura, you were able to read that Jesus said 'his mission was not to do temporary ephemeral things....?unfortunately,This is your own interpretation of the verse. Another effort to dishonour the blessed virgin Mary.Did the bible record everything that happened historically? Bros,please try to quit all this nonsense of opening threads to slate the CC and try to get some understanding of what the CC teaches and why..

Bro whether you like it or not Catholic church is an antichrist church. They started it right from Nicene changing all bible doctrines to their test.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by donkennedy005: 2:59am On Oct 13, 2014
ifeness:

prophet of doom,stay clear of drugs
He is saying the truth, why is it that you guys have brain but can not understand, infact catholism is abstract christianity.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chiedu7: 3:15am On Oct 13, 2014
Chibueze291994:
we only honour mary
we do not worship her.
Truly no one goes to the father except through christ, but
some are also in a better position to pray for us that's where we talk about mediator. let's take a look at what happened in canaan.

if catholics dont worship mary then what is this

read the full story here [url]http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/proof.htm[/url]

again

[img]http://biblicalconnection.files./2013/02/idol2cp.jpg[/img]
we can see that catholics not only worship mary but also worship her statue
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by geniusbami(m): 3:20am On Oct 13, 2014
enigmaotr:
Most Catholic church doctrines can not be proven from the Bible. They even boasted their doctrines are independent of the Scripture...
Members are taught to say the hail Mary and repeat it over and over again. Not only that, if you watch any Catholic TV, and see the nuns praying, you will see that they send the vast majority of their prayers to Mary, rather than Jesus. So what does Jesus Himself say about repetitive prayers?
Matthew 6:7 ...'But when ye pray,use NOT vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.'
See these also:

"That we may rightly say she (Mary) redeemed the human race together with Christ."(Benedict XV, Inter Sodalicia, 1918)
"In fact, by being assumed into Heaven she (Mary) has not laid aside the office of salvation, but by the manifold intercession she continues to obtain for us the grace of eternal salvation."(John Paul II, Dives in Misericordia, 1980, quoting Lumen Gentium)....'

We should not be too surprised at their exaltation of the Mary above Jesus, for Mary is the name they merely borrowed for the "the great goddess Diana.. whom all Asia and the world worship" (Acts 19.27), same as the queen of heaven that we read about in Jer. 7.18-20. To prove it's a borrowed name for an ancient pagan goddess, you would observe that the queen of heaven was being worshipped centuries before Mary was born, yet she is often referred to in the Roman Catholic Church as the queen of heaven. Also check out Jer. 44.17 - 19.

Talking about the evolution of the Catholic religion from a political force to a syncretic religious system, It may interest you to know that Mary (Diana of Ephesus actually) was not part of their worship originally as admitted by the Catholic Encyclopaedia: "Devotion to our Lady in its ultimate analysis must be regarded as a practical application of the doctrine of the Communion of Paints. Seeing that this doctrine is not contained, at least explicitly, in the earlier forms of Apostles' breed..".
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by geniusbami(m): 3:41am On Oct 13, 2014
It is not difficult to draw the similarities between the queen of heaven in the pagan babylonian worship and the Mary (as is being called) in the Roman Catholic religion now.

Notice the posture in the image and that they're both always in a beautified shrine with blessing hands

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Expsbterror(m): 3:44am On Oct 13, 2014
nnatom:

it is so shameful of u still saying Catholics worship her after u have been told several time that Catholics don't worship her, sorry o is ur IQ dis low.

so if u are being told that God will allow his son to have the flesh and blood of a sinner u will agree. see where lack of knowledge is dragging u into. even Muslims knows that Mary was born without the touch of satan. shame on u.

Mention in Islamic scripture

The birth of Mary is narrated in the Quran
with references to her father, after whom
the chapter is named ('The Family of
Imran') as well as her mother. The wife of
Imran prayed to God to fulfil her desire [8]
and vowed, if her prayer was accepted,
that her child would be dedicated to the
service of God. She prayed for her child to
remain protected from Satan ( Shayṭān) and
Muslim tradition records a hadith , which
states that the only children born without
the "touch of Satan," were Mary and Jesus.

WORSHIP OR HONOUR, MAKE SURE YOU MAKE HEAVEN... PUNY EARTHLINGS.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Expsbterror(m): 3:48am On Oct 13, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

So you have now run out of bible references that you now resort to quoting from he qu'ran and the hadith. I also realised that the Qu'ran gives honour to Mary by naming a chapter after her. I don't think any other female was accorded that honour in the Qu'ran and I'm not sure you will find the word Mercy therein. undecided

Hadith or bible, MAKE SURE YOU MAKE HEAVEN... PUNY EARTHLINGS.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Expsbterror(m): 3:50am On Oct 13, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

At least they are witty enough not to worship and bow down to Mary's image.

Bow down or worship, MAKE SURE YOU MAKE HEAVEN... PUNY EARTHLINGS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (31) (Reply)

Desmond Tutu's Daughter Weds Her Lesbian Partner & he Was there (Pics) / Wearing Facemask About Is An Embarrassment To Science - Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.