Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,690 members, 7,879,026 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 11:26 AM

Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? (4729 Views)

UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants / Illegal Immigrants In The US Will Be Entitled Citizenship / What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by landis(m): 8:42am On Nov 05, 2008
EloSela:

@Landis

So if I love Britain, I am not allowed to love Sapele?

there you go, you love sapele, indeed

why are you not living and making your LIFE there.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by EloSela(f): 8:47am On Nov 05, 2008
@Landis

They no give me visa! grin grin
[size=20pt]
OBAMA!!![/size]
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Pennywise(m): 9:10am On Nov 05, 2008
@Topic
The brits have had a good economy for quite sometime now and everyone is content. The best time to ask a question like this is when there is inflation and local economic recession.The skin heads openly chasing blacks in eastern europe have no jobs and are hungry. Only a very small fraction of them are actually infested with negrophobia.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by AFAIK: 9:51am On Nov 05, 2008
Pennywise:

@Topic
The brits have had a good economy for quite sometime now and everyone is content. [b]The best time to ask a question like this is when there is inflation and local economic recession.[/b]The skin heads openly chasing blacks in eastern europe have no jobs and are hungry. Only a very small fraction of them are actually infested with negrophobia.

SO WHAT DO THEY HAVE NOW ? CERTAINLY NOT SWIMMING IN DOSH I THINK undecided
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Pennywise(m): 10:07am On Nov 05, 2008
That was why I took the pain to add local to the economic recession.The brits are not feelin the pains the way other peeps are feeling it rt now. Food prices largely the same, relatively strong currency, rising minimum wage, etc. They are at peace.Take an early morning bus or train in london and see how many real brits you will find going for gbri gbri hustle kind of work.They will usually be sleeping.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by AFAIK: 10:31am On Nov 05, 2008
Pennywise:

That was why I took the pain to add local to the economic recession.The brits are not feelin the pains the way other peeps are feeling it rt now. Food prices largely the same, relatively strong currency, rising minimum wage, etc. They are at peace.Take an early morning bus or train in london and see how many real brits you will find going for gbri gbri hustle kind of work.They will usually be sleeping.
THIS IS A JOKE POST RIGHT grin
EITHER THAT OR YOU ARE A STUDENT GETTING REGULARLY MONEY FROM DADDY . THE CITY DOESN'T FEEL THAT WAY , THE LOCAL GROCERS DONT FEEL THAT WAY , EVEN TESCO DOESNT FEEL THAT WAY . THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO FEEL THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE ARE THE UNEMPLOYED OR LIVING IN SOME REMOTE TOWN . ANYWAY YOUR OPINION IS RESPECTED
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Pennywise(m): 10:55am On Nov 05, 2008
Irrespective of how you look at it, UK remains the most sought after destination for migrants from Africa through asia to east europe. Even portuguese are leaving their country to clean toilets in london. If it was so bad, why this alien invasion.No I am not a student neither am I a dependant. I am a Nigerian living happily in Nigeria.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by AFAIK: 11:29am On Nov 05, 2008
Pennywise:

Irrespective of how you look at it, UK remains the most sought after destination for migrants from Africa through asia to east europe. Even portuguese are leaving their country to clean toilets in london. If it was so bad, why this alien invasion.No I am not a student neither am I a dependant. I am a Nigerian living happily in Nigeria.
OH I SEE .
DON'T MAKE PLANS TO GO WORK IN UK DEAR . COULD BE WORST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE undecided

Even portuguese are leaving their country to clean toilets in london.
PROVES THAT POOR PEOPLE EXIST IN EVERY COUNTRY I HAVE MET MANY ITALIANS/PORTUGUESE/FRENCH WORKING IN COFFEE SHOPS TOO VERY POORLY PAID
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Pennywise(m): 11:46am On Nov 05, 2008
Afaik, you seem to be quite opportuned to lecture me on hardship in London. I like to know. wink
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by AFAIK: 12:15pm On Nov 05, 2008
Pennywise:

Afaik, you seem to be quite opportuned to lecture me on hardship in London. I like to know. wink
YES I HAVE FAMILY THERE TWO BROTHERS DOING BADLY
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Pennywise(m): 12:25pm On Nov 05, 2008
AFAIK:

YES I HAVE FAMILY THERE  TWO BROTHERS DOING BADLY
Actually for a moment i thought i was communicating with prince charles himself. Anyway, those two brothers have to suffer so original brits can eat and sleep well. So brits have no reason to hate them per say.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by lucabrasi(m): 4:56pm On Nov 05, 2008
nigerians and africans only come to uk for the same reason they go to china,iceland,denmark ,germany e.t.c to escape the harsh nigerian economy, the proper way to know if people actualy like coming to britain is to check how many americans relocate here as opposed to brits going over there,
how many canadians actually come here as opposed to brits going there,
how many of citizens of the well to do countries all round the world,with a nice standard of living good economy,proper leadership e.t.c actually migrate to britain, therein lies the answer,

people all round the world irrespective of how good your country is love "the american dream" the americans can claim that people love their country not britain,

nigerians,polish,lithuanians e.t.c do not come here for anything other than to work,make some money and go back to their country, the polish have been criticised about sending their money home to poland and not committing themselves in any way shape or form here,same as other europeans here,so nigerians are not the only exception,
@pennywise
you have been warned,dont make the mistake of re locating here,it ll be like from frying pan to fire as for portuguese and others working here go check the statistics most of them actually return back to their countries i have a few protuguese friends and they mostly come here to work for a few months cause of the value of the pounds and then go back home,same as the germans,french e.t.c more brits relocate to these countries than they actually come here the only europeans who are long term stayers are the east europeans for obvious reasons
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Pennywise(m): 6:52pm On Nov 05, 2008
lucabrasi:

@pennywise
you have been warned,don't make the mistake of re locating here,it ll be like from frying pan to fire
What is this thing about warning p.wise you all have taken to.If UK is good for you why can't it be good for me too?I have not even indicated I want to live there.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by lucabrasi(m): 8:37pm On Nov 05, 2008
you can visit and even buy stuffs here cheap because the naira is actually stronger against the pound now but saying you want to live and work here, hmmmn
as for me ,im only here on a mission studying,trust me im out of here to my beloved,beautiful naija as soon as im done, leaving wanabe oyinbo english
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Obalende: 9:22pm On Nov 05, 2008
"You can visit and even buy stuffs here cheap [b]because the naira is actually stronger against the pound now [/b]but saying you want to live and work here, hmmmn as for me ,I'm only here on a mission studying,trust me I'm out of here to my beloved,beautiful naija as soon as I'm done,  leaving wanabe oyinbo english"

I would like to see it reach at least NGN150 - this is not UK hate, its just so people like me can have more GBP purchasing power.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by manmustwac(m): 11:12pm On Nov 05, 2008
@post
The British opened its doors to Poland immigrants in January 2004
The British opened its doors to Romania immigrants in January 2008
Theres even a HSMP progam now which is meant to encourage higly skilled immigrants to emmigrate here

There are plenty of immigrants working here from Eastern Europe now. Even on UK Border Force witch i watched on Sky 1 yesterday they said 10'000 foreign students came here to study last year. Some don't even plan to study thet just work and stay here illegally when their visa expires they do arrangee to get their papers.

Britain is a very tolerant society i can't really say that with the present economic situation that Britain really likes immigrants but they are tolerated
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by AkedeOba(m): 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2008
Students are different from immigrants.
With the new rules coming to force soon , going as a student might be a lot more difficult as you may need to have not less than 9000 pounds declared for your living expenses before being permitted in.
Also HSMP I think is being replaced by Tier 1 which requires that you not only have a substantial amount as living expenses when coming in , but also proof that you have a good job from where you are coming by showing that you constantly have a minimum monthly balance of I think not less than 3000 pounds in your account over a period of time before applying .
In both cases they are demanding substantial inflow of foreign exchange from both students and immigrant workers. No free lunch again cheesy
Hardly worth it is my honest opinion.

Obalende:

"You can visit and even buy stuffs here cheap because the naira is actually stronger against the pound now [/b]but saying you want to live and work here, hmmmn as for me ,I'm only here on a mission studying,trust me I'm out of here to my beloved,beautiful naija as soon as I'm done, leaving wanabe oyinbo english"

[b]I would like to see it reach at least NGN150
- this is not UK hate, its just so people like me can have more GBP purchasing power.
It won't be very long my brother I assure you grin
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by turl(m): 11:49pm On Nov 05, 2008
Obalende:

"You can visit and even buy stuffs here cheap [b]because the naira is actually stronger against the pound now [/b]but saying you want to live and work here, hmmmn as for me ,I'm only here on a mission studying,trust me I'm out of here to my beloved,beautiful naija as soon as I'm done,  leaving wanabe oyinbo english"

I would like to see it reach at least NGN150 - this is not UK hate, its just so people like me can have more GBP purchasing power.
that doesnt nessecarily mean the change in exchange rate is influencing the nija economy 4 d better.its still as hard as ever, if not harder
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by Busybody2(f): 1:49am On Nov 06, 2008
Akede-Oba:

Students are different from immigrants.
With the new rules coming to force soon , going as a student might be a lot more difficult as you may need to have not less than 9000 pounds declared for your living expenses before being permitted in.
Also HSMP I think is being replaced by Tier 1 which requires that you not only have a substantial amount as living expenses when coming in , but also proof that you have a good job from where you are coming by showing that you constantly have a minimum monthly balance of I think not less than 3000 pounds in your account over a period of time before applying .
It won't be very long my brother I assure you . . . grin

As usual with gullible Britain, you don't have to have the money, ALL you need to do is prove that you have it cool

With the Tier 4 thingy, a graduate earning £3000 per annum in Nigeria would score 120 points, despite the fact that the minimum point requested to scale through is 70/75 points, so it is gonna go the way of the HSMP which had to be scrapped due to its horrendous backlog and waiting list.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by blonde1(f): 11:06am On Nov 06, 2008
Nobody likes immigrants. Remember what was happening in South Africa not a long time ago? The British are very kind compared to SA undecided

UK is a popular destination because it is relatively easy to get there. I know people have all sorts of visa problems, but believe me, getting into most European countries or the US (legally) is harder. And it is an English-speaking country and it is a popular language, most people prefer to go to a country which language they know. It is very hard to live in a place where you do not know the local language, I experienced that.

Poles and other Eastern Europeans do not go there in such numbers because they love UK. It is because UK and Ireland were the first to open the job market for them (that is they do not need any visas or permissions to work there). All European Union countries must allow this for new EU members within a few years, but most of them want to do it as late as they can. So again, they went there because it was the country that was most open to receiving them and allowing them more than other Western European countries.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by DisGuy: 9:13am On Nov 07, 2008
blonde1:

Nobody likes immigrants. Remember what was happening in South Africa not a long time ago? The British are very kind compared to SA  undecided

UK is a popular destination because it is relatively easy to get there. I know people have all sorts of visa problems, but believe me, getting into most European countries or the US (legally) is harder.  And it is an English-speaking country and it is a popular language, most people prefer to go to a country which language they know. It is very hard to live in a place where you do not know the local language, I experienced that.

Poles and other Eastern Europeans do not go there in such numbers because they love UK. It is because UK and Ireland were the first to open the job market for them (that is they do not need any visas or permissions to work there). All European Union countries must allow this for new EU members within a few years, but most of them want to do it as late as they can. So again, they went there because it was the country that was most open to receiving them and allowing them more than other Western European countries.

Ironically, even Nigerians chased their neighbours-Ghanaian- of the same colour/race out of the country
having been accused of a spate of robberies, talking with a funny accent, stealing jobs and even playing footsie
with some wives wink
- in fact i heard some were even accused of being excessively dark skinned!

thats where the Ghana Must Go Bag was coined

nigerian hypocrisy no get part deux!
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by shotster50(m): 12:48am On Nov 10, 2008
People are bleating about how racist the UK are, but the same thing happens in our dear Naija.  people are racist (tribalist morelike) in Nigeria too for eg you 've got people saying they don't like these 'omo igbos' coming to invade Lagos and other places, and you also have igbos complaining about the amount of 'Abokis' in the east. These things you see are natural reactions to seeing strangers on your home turf.
Re: Do The British Really Like Immigrants ? by damiso(f): 1:46pm On Nov 10, 2008
shotster50:

People are bleating about how racist the UK but the same thing happens in our dear Naija.  people are racist (tribalist morelike) in Nigeria too for eg you 've got people saying they don't like these 'omo igbos' coming to invade Lagos and other places, and you also have igbos complaining about the amount of 'Abokis' in the east. These things you see are natural reactions to seeing strangers on your home turf.

Word.I think Nigerians would be the worse if tables were turned and people came to work in their country.Its in our culture to take advantage of people and also oppress people.See area boys claiming 'owo ile' for goods brought into lagos island by predominantly igbo traders.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos-minna By Air / I Need Your Help On Getting To Abule Egba / Abuja Bus Terminus In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.