Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,309 members, 7,971,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 10:52 PM

Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands (23401 Views)

Top 5 Most Popular Mobile Phone Brands In Nigeria 2015 / How Tecno Stole The Show From Nokia And Blackberry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 13, 2014
rodeo0070:
You mean the Cortana app?

Yes sir! Or is she not predicting club side matches?
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by PapaBrowne(m): 1:37pm On Sep 13, 2014
The big fails of the smartphone revolution are Nokia and blackberry. Thier failure is in my opinion is thier lack of flexibility and failure to understand that times were changing and pretty fast too
Blackberry had been a smartphone long before others but apple came and redefined the industry by taking smart to another level with the touchscreen while blackberry stock with its outdated qwerty pad
Nokias downfall emanated from its failure to create a functional os

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by vowiski(m): 1:39pm On Sep 13, 2014
SimonAndal:
_

Dude Google bought Motorola for the patents, not for any propulsion whatsoever. They sold the hardware arm to Lenovo and kept the patents.
You have no idea of What you are talking about..
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Electronzeez(m): 1:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
Sunymoore:
Nah! Google acquired moto for patent. They sold the company to Leno but retained must of the patents.
Ever wonder why Google hates SD card?

you are navigating outside the discourse bro, leave SD for now.

Patent and war are two different words.

Now i understand you are trying to explain "patent rights" not "patent war" dont get bemused using them.
Patent right exist btw google and lenovo what existed between samsung and apple was patent war.
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
There was no future for them there, so this development shouldn't serve as a shocker to y'all.

It's one thing coming into the market, it's one thing displacing the guys who are running the market.

You dont thrust into the tech world with hardwares that come in yellow, green, red colors - Dang, those are lame initiatives meant for ladies and gays alone cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by piagetskinner(m): 1:46pm On Sep 13, 2014
olukenzo: Nokia shot themselves in the foot. At that time they were going to bed with MS, another division would have done android, even AOSP. It would have been Nokia's hardware might + Google's innovative OS. The company would still have been thriving today.

One other thing I think is hindering some of their products out there now is the hardware design. Which serious minded person buys a red, yellow, green phone? And a square-ish one at that. Even Tecno knows better than making toyish looking phones.
Lol...like dettol soap

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by kemiola89(f): 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2014
About time!

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by tonychristopher: 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2014
RAZR...Good Riddance....I Bought A HTC PPhone...Window That Phone Was So Useless That I Returned It AfterFew Days For Motorola Droid RAZR

Then I Have Been Enjoying Sweet Android. Forget Windows Forget Blackberry

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by MadCow1: 1:48pm On Sep 13, 2014
Nokia...

Make wetin do Alcatel an Siemens no do una o!

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by DNDROID(m): 1:51pm On Sep 13, 2014
Kreamie: I think the word 'DUMP' shouldn't be used in this kind of scenario seeing as Nokia didnt come out outrightly to use the word
dats d right word .. they were 'DUMPED'!
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by DNDROID(m): 1:51pm On Sep 13, 2014
Kreamie: I think the word 'DUMP' shouldn't be used in this kind of scenario seeing as Nokia didnt come out outrightly to use the word
dats d right word .. they were 'DUMPED'! grin grin
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by tonychristopher: 1:51pm On Sep 13, 2014
AirborneLacer: There was no future for them there, so this development shouldn't serve as a shocker to y'all.

It's one thing coming into the market, it's one thing displacing the guys who are running the market.

You dont thrust into the tech world with hardwares that come in yellow, green, red colors - Dang, those are lame initiatives meant for ladies and gays alone cheesy

So On Point....Who Wants To But A Multi Colored Plastic Phone.Even Techno Is Plastic.My Phones Comes In Smoked Amoled Metal Case And Must Have Gorilla Corning Glass Screen With Crisp Color. These Specs Are Find In American Specs

I Just Can't Use Nokia

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Skywalker5(m): 1:51pm On Sep 13, 2014
Its a shame Microsoft is losing this battle. Just like the Microsoft surface. Its a good tablet and i personally feel its features are better than the IPad but Apple and Samsung are the guys who controls both the phone and tablet market now.
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by free2ryhme: 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2014
They killed Nokia
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by haryomikun(m): 2:14pm On Sep 13, 2014
RedBenson: Bros @op, how abt dat thing wey been dey predict football matches? The thing no dey predict matches in this new season? Between Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, who go win d match?
˚˚˚°º‎​=)). =))º°˚˚˚°ºL☺ℓº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)) . Cortana u mean? ? Dem no born am well make im predict dat RM vs AM match
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Decryptor(m): 2:18pm On Sep 13, 2014
Long Overdue
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by LadyH(f): 2:24pm On Sep 13, 2014
Good. The phones sucked.
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 13, 2014
haryomikun:
˚˚˚°º‎​=)). =))º°˚˚˚°ºL☺ℓº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)) . Cortana u mean? ? Dem no born am well make im predict dat RM vs AM match

U never can tell. E fit predict too.
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Bawss1(m): 2:28pm On Sep 13, 2014
SimonAndal:
_

Dude Google bought Motorola for the patents, not for any propulsion whatsoever. They sold the hardware arm to Lenovo and kept the patents.

Please tell him.

It's funny seeing some comments here on NL. Vowiski presents one side of the story here, Google is presently sitting on top of various Motorola patents that may well be future cash cows. The sale to Lenovo did not include those patents.

Meanwhile aren't people here tired of saying Nokia should have embraced Android even when they see that with the Nokia XL series the phone drowned in the sea of other Android phones?

I still think Nokia and Win Phone 8 was/is the right move.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by omoadeleye(m): 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2014
shey dem wan force us to buy am?

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by 100Cents: 2:39pm On Sep 13, 2014
vowiski:

That's not entirely true. Accepting Windows Phone OS as its primary OS was the best option for Nokia at that time, considering the fact that it came with a $1B prize from Microsoft and Android was no where future-proof.

Even Google was disappointed after making the biggest business blunder in their history, acquiring Motorola for $12B to propel Android to the next level. It was Samsung, out of no-where who pushed the Android OS to where it is today. The South Korea Company accounts for nearly 70% of the entire Android market-share.

So, I still think it was purely business on the path of Nokia, a big brand forming alliance with the biggest tech company in the world. No one would have predicted the fall of Nokia by that standard, but again... Business is all about risk. Some you succeed and others you fail. Life moves on.

I do not agree with Microsoft that running away is their best option.

With such news, how do they expect some of us who may be eyeing their phone to still buy it ??
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by singhabhishek25: 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
I think Microsoft made a mistake by acquiring and they should have focused on other things rather that buying a ruined company.
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by harrysterol(m): 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2014
PapaBrowne: The big fails of the smartphone revolution are Nokia and blackberry. Thier failure is in my opinion is thier lack of flexibility and failure to understand that times were changing and pretty fast too
Blackberry had been a smartphone long before others but apple came and redefined the industry by taking smart to another level with the touchscreen while blackberry stock with its outdated qwerty pad
Nokias downfall emanated from its failure to create a functional os
dude BlackBerry never got stock with qwerty pad, rather the delayed in revolutionising which the finally did with BB10 OS, q10,q5 r still qwerty wit great os even the expected BlackBerry passport is still qwerty with great OS, the r sme peeps that r qwerty freak n BlackBerry r actually complementing for such pple, the bottom line is the OS that matter wether qwerty or not
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by ewizard1: 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2014
Ok!
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Gidigidi3(m): 3:18pm On Sep 13, 2014
Talk go up or down, am enjoying my nokia X2:
Superb battery life
Android OS
5mp rear cam, with flash
Dual sim wit 3g on each
Pocket friendly
Sleek case, does not scratch
And many many more for just 23k
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by uokocha70(m): 4:07pm On Sep 13, 2014
vowiski:

Google acquired Motorola for $12b and sold to Lenovo for $2b, isn't that bad business practice? That's what earned the Motorola deal, Google's worse business deal..

It sounds bad until you know the patents they retained. They did it for the patents but as a Nigerian where copyright is not an issue you will not understand the value of patents.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Richiy(f): 4:12pm On Sep 13, 2014
urhoboman: lol, who did u warn?

Lol. Since I have no considerable influence on Nokia or Microsoft, I warned my best friends. grin
urhoboman: lol, who did u warn?
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by playboy19(m): 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2014
Nokia and Microsoft M&A deal was a match made in hell. Damn, that was the dumbest business move in the history of technology and business. I will never find any worse M&A deal ever in this one world. Oh...maybe i over exaggerate a little but damn, it's that bad.

Why is it that bad you may want to ask? First let's look at Nokia. In the past decade they have totally lack innovation. Nothing new has come out from them even worse they were totally MIA (missing in action) during the smartphone revolution. They came in 4 years late when their competition had totally taken over the market.

Now Microsoft shares exactly the same history with Nokia in the last decade. Since the departure of Bill Gates at the beginning of the millennium, Steve Ballmer did nothing new. All we saw from him was error over error, even worse enough for them, they equally didn't show up at the Smartphone war. Nothing whatsoever from Microsoft.

Now, if you merge this two companies together, what do you expect to get? Instant market domination? You gotta be kidding. I see them even crashing farther than this. Things even got worse for Nokia when they couldn't handle they low-end dominated market. They couldn't give their low end consumers something (a product) to be happy about. Just some randomly cheap, tasteless-four-corner phones and they think they can hold the market with that? They need to take a queue from companies like Techno who has single-handedly dominated Nokia's low end market with stylishly-looking pocket-friendly phones.

Companies the world over needs visionary leaders, who are younger, vibrant and in tune with the technologies of the future, not some old, cold steve ballmers who i think became MS's CEO just cos he has always been with Bill Gates. Plus never forget to innovate, as innovation is the bane of many major corporations in this dot com era.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 13, 2014
Richiy:

Lol. Since I have no considerable influence on Nokia or Microsoft, I warned my best friends. grin
lol, funny you. I will pass your warning to them next time to avoid stories that touches the heart.
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
Good job.
I want Nokia to suffer.
After looting Nigerians, imagine If Nokia was tecno .... Probably by now I won't have been using Android. Hahaha.. Serves them right.

grin grin grin grin make my emoticons laugh jhoooreee grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by oluwanoni: 4:50pm On Sep 13, 2014
@op why are you misleading the audience.....with in coherent information.....u just copied someone's blog and posted on NL....no of the info you are spilling out is official or layed down.....
Re: Microsoft To Dump Nokia And Windows Phone Brands by oluwanoni: 4:58pm On Sep 13, 2014
tonychristopher:

So On Point....Who Wants To But A Multi Colored Plastic Phone.Even Techno Is Plastic.My Phones Comes In Smoked Amoled Metal Case And Must Have Gorilla Corning Glass Screen With Crisp Color. These Specs Are Find In American Specs

I Just Can't Use Nokia

Mind you Nokia as black version...besides you haven't used a Nokia miscrosft OS before,
I have used an android and I can tell you for sure go get a 1520 or a 1030....Although. A late bloomer in the Industry....and their major market no been naija doesn't mean peple don use it. Stop Generalizing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Cell Phone Etiquette Tips Everyone Needs To Know / How To Flash Your Phone With USB Cable. / How Do Major Social Media Platforms Make Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.