Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,209 members, 7,939,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 01:28 PM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (64101 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by drnairalov: 8:43am On Sep 28, 2014
sigh..I relocated out if the country tho...I told my friends dere dat I wud go back 2 naija lets say 2yrs time..if u see the bad eye they use look me ehn..even the one doing taxi driver 4 here..he is like u think I am not a graduat,, I am a graduate but wen naija has nothing 2 offer..anoda of my friend is like see u.."I wud die here..if u want 2 go back, go back you know am spiritual, I have seen that they are calling you back from home with juju"

I became confused, , even when d weather here is freaking cold and all..I am yet 2 see any1 dat wanna com back dey make it luk like I am really jazzed and d witches in my village re drawing me back home. well I no send..once m ready ..naija I dey com..bet seriously dat our country no gud at all. ..SMH

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 28, 2014
maternal:

An country's government is like the engine to a car. A country simply cannot function without it.
No , it can but not to the maximum. The problem is an average Nigerian leaves his life to the hands of the government .I think if more of these government co perations are run by individuals we will see changes . including our national hospitals.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by jayonpoint(m): 8:46am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
Bless you! Exactly what I have been insinuating. You have nothing to offer, yet you believe going abroad would increase your chances of becoming a better person. It's a backward mentality, if you ask me.
@Op do u knw dat D'banj was a private security guard while he was in London? Let's blame our system, man was created to enjoy d best of life. Education or nt, u wld stil mk it anywhere in d whole world. Dis country is a dead trap nt fit for human beings. If I hv d chnce, I'll travel abroad bt wil do so under a gud circumstances..suffernes no gud my broda

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Doughyeenbae(f): 8:46am On Sep 28, 2014
An0nimus: The grass is always greener on the other side.smiley
The grass is greener where you water it. smiley

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chamboy(m): 8:48am On Sep 28, 2014
justwise:

Do you really believe that? Only a lazy man will be poor in Nigeria? Making 100,000 naira per week as a business man is not a lot of money considering the fact that student working part time in the UK during the summer can make that much after tax and still enjoy free health care, 24/7 electricity and water supply, good road network, faster internet connection, relatively secure environment and higher life expectancy.

I understand that we Nigerians measure level of success by how much money we have in the bank and not by standard of living and quality of our health.

This is Simply because NIGERIANS ARE GREEDY
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by InvertedHammer: 8:56am On Sep 28, 2014
mrmetoo1:

Oh I know that about Jumia, what I said was there was I've met couple of young Nigerians living abroad that came back to work for them (executive positions) to help build the brand here. My point was if they had the "abandon ship" mentality then they won't even bother because they were doing well over there.

So you're in Naija now?
/
What are the odds?

Dangote lives in Nigeria. But you cannot use that yardstick to measure the life of an average Nigerian.

You cannot pay me enough to move back to Nigeria. For one, I don't know of any company that will be willing to match my monthly income even after taxes.

I will continue to visit Nigeria about twice a year but just for the heck of it. But to live there...not gonna happen. It is not about money. I guess I cherish sanitation and "sanctity" more than anything else.

Someone mentioned Linda ikeji and Range Rover sports. I am sorry if you think being able to afford RR means that one has made it. Take a closer look at that Linda ikeji's picture. Do you see the background of that picture and how dirty and unkept it looks? And you call that life?

\
/

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chamboy(m): 8:57am On Sep 28, 2014
Nigeria can never develop if it's people still wallow in GREED

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 28, 2014
Pasca07: see ur mouth like don't go there to become a liabiliity,so u want nigerians to become liability to u?it is ppl like u dat find it difficult to help ur fellow country men but come here to preach rubbish that doesnt depict the real u......
U even mentioned we will get there someday?yeah i don't dispute that but who knows maybe in 50years time or 60yrs?atleast for our unborn generation......but if u are waiting for naija to be ok at ur youthful age presently u are on a long thing......
grin no mind d guy!
what's to say countries abroad wont upgrade from dere current position.

With each passing day the Americas and other countries take a step forward while 9ja goes two steps back.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 28, 2014
chamboy: Nigeria can never develop if it's people still wallow in GREED

Abi oh!
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Don't sire me, mate! i understand u, Nigeria is a shiithole!
No! Nigerian in d Diaspora would be dumb enough to come and work for d good of his fatherland if the pay isn't worth the thought. Do u know d kind of hazard or kidnapping allowance/insurances jumia would be coughing up to these guyz?

Patriotism can come under d package fpr all i care but dont tell me some black american niggá would transport himself and his family to d den of the kidnappers in d creeks because of u and me. grin
you are ready to break the law to get into another man's country and you complain of kidnapping in Nigeria ? I still dey laff ur person.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chamboy(m): 9:00am On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Abi oh!
we are highly greedy, imagine a Rich man with a Mansion on a Muddy Street

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 28, 2014
Doughyeenbae:
The grass is greener where you water it. smiley

The grass colour is not going to be normal here.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: you are ready to break the law to get into another man's country and you complain of kidnapping in Nigeria ? I still dey laff ur person.

Break which law? What is dis one talking about?

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 28, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/
What are the odds?

Dangote lives in Nigeria. But you cannot use that yardstick to measure the life of an average Nigerian.

You cannot pay me enough to move back to Nigeria. For one, I don't know of any company that will be willing to match my monthly income even after taxes.

I will continue to visit Nigeria about twice a year but just for the heck of it. But to live there...not gonna happen. It is not about money. I guess I cherish sanitation and "sanctity" more than anything else.

Someone mentioned Linda ikeji and Range Rover sports. I am sorry if you think being able to afford RR means that one has made it. Take a closer look at that Linda ikeji's picture. Do you see the background of that picture and how dirty and unkept it looks? And you call that life?

\
/

Lol @ d Linda ikeji part

When her mates they drive thru hollywood with better customized vehicles

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ADUBA1(m): 9:15am On Sep 28, 2014
I schooled abroad and can tell you this op is a joker. Life is not all about money but comfort, good health service delivery and security. You can't have access to the aforementioned in Nigeria even with your money unless you are a big time politician or business tycoon and even at that, security is still an issue. Nigeria is full of stress

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:20am On Sep 28, 2014
shockwave91: if slave ships land for naija now ehn....u go see bois way go dey jump in, no need to capture

Ah! I just remembered my moment with me grandma, she told me her sister was sold when she was young.

Now dat I think of it.
I may have some devishly handsome black american bro or sis over dere now!
Cést là víe
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by LORDI(m): 9:27am On Sep 28, 2014
Pasca07: sharap,what kind of quote is dis?i should not think about what the govt can do for me but i shd think of what i can do for the greedy,callous,vampire,wicked,selfish,bastardize govt?pls u need urgent psychic attention with this rubbish u just spewed out.......
some people can be very RUDE....smh
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: you misunderstood my posts simple .... my point is a skilled individual wouldnt need to come debate here he is gonna get a chance abroad .... he obviously knows that .

U didn't make any point oh!
Nah only u know wetin u get for mind.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chamboy(m): 9:28am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
Truth is, you said my mind without mincing words. We claim Nigeria is bad, yet it birthed Seun and Linda, Japheth Omojuwa, Psquare, Tu-face, and even the so-called D'banj who was abroad did not 'make it' there until he came home. I have always concluded that Nigeria is a natural resources which does not require the regular mining to tap her wealth. Politicians keep looting, yet, it has not barred those who think outside of the boxing from succeeding.
Sam Childers is richer than the above listed persons u mentioned. "Wealth is not d amount u acquire is the amount of lives u'v saved or u saving"
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 28, 2014
LORDI: some people can be very RUDE....smh

Sharrap! Dis ur ajebor nonsense has to stop! Wetin concine rudeness with boys wey dey vex!

Find a rock and fall under it.

We dey reason how we want start nationwide rally to murtala Muhammad airport Ikeja. All Nigerians go soon commot for this country leave only una

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by swedbase(m): 9:35am On Sep 28, 2014
Next time you get that kind of opportunity grab it with both hands my dear because abroad will always be better than Nigeria in any comparism. I could n't even afford to rent my own appartment as at 2007 when i was in Nigeria but today i own landed properties and about to own a hostel some where in Owerri not mentioning other things like cars, helping relatives and friends.

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chamboy(m): 9:36am On Sep 28, 2014
"One person can do unbelievable things. All it takes is that one person who is willing to risk everything to make it happen"
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Akinsz: 9:38am On Sep 28, 2014
blaxx: When u leave the shores of this great nation, on arrival at the airport (no be africa o), there's this cool breeze that blows over your face. As you go through security, there's this feeling you get (which you no go eva get for nigeria). You see the light skinned people and you'll be like, na me be dis? You'll feel like 1000kg of stress just left your head.

Imagine d way I dey find internet everyday, I dey tweak n tweak to trick our networks so I fit browse... Meanwhile somewia across the atlantic, dem get NO WIFI ZONE.
Yet OP say we must not travel.

@OP> $1=N162, £1=282, CHF1=N170...
and yet you chose not to take the UN int'l job? Hope u no dey cry yourself to sleep every night.

people like me wey know wia we come from, whether we go sleep for harlem or peckham, no problem. When we get there, we fit come back and advice odas not to go. But first make we go.

What if the waters didn't divide the continents? Nigerians for trek go New Zealand o.

nak dis guy 3bottles of alomo bitter. Well said.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Originalsly: 9:41am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
You've been stressing this too much and I find it worrisome. Above all, I must confess that I applied with the hope that I would get to work somewhere in Africa. I have always dreamt of delving into the investigative side of journalism. My purpose for declining was not because someone 'connected me', rather I have never dreamt of settling down outside of Nigeria. I wouldn't know where I'd be placed in the society class, maybe somewhere within the lower or 'partial' middle class. Forget the connection because it is not there. This is the resolve of a young man who believes travelling far byond the shores of his country could damage his plans.
Ah ha!...so you didn't take up the offer because of fear of being reduced to low class! If you were guaranteed of upper class status then I guess your views expressed in this thread would've been different. But whatever the reason....a very interesting thread!
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by chamboy(m): 9:41am On Sep 28, 2014
Since that day there is nothing anyone could ever say to convince me that one person cannot change a nation. One person can do unbelievable things. All it takes is that one person who's willing to risk everything to make it happen
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 9:48am On Sep 28, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/
What are the odds?

\
/

Why would I use Dangote as a yard stick? Check out my posts and you'll see I've using young folks as examples. You say Linda's background is rough, no argument there. Here's thing tho, there are few places in Nigeria that are neat and tidy created by private individuals that have a vision on how they want a housing estate to look like. Go and check pictures of NY in the 19th century, it wasn't this "Utopia" we have today, people, not angels, not machines worked on making it what it is today.

Linda is always mentioned because she's out there not because she's the only one that's "making" it. Why Linda would decide to live in a place that looks rough especially with how successful she is, I don't understand but there are few estates she could live in that are decent.

You not wanting to move back to Naija is your choice, again the problem I keep having is when you guys make it seem you're smarter than the people you left here or are somehow better than them. I don't know what your situation was to get abroad but I doubt it was because you had this amazing idea of how to improve everyone's life in the US. You probably went to the embassy like thousands of people and were lucky enough to be granted visa.

You talk about sanitation, I know a guy that left Australia to come here and work on sanitation. He got some trucks, got a contract with LASG and is doing his own bit and making money as well.

With what you're saying about no company being able to match your pay, I definitely wasn't interested in coming back and getting hired by some company. I came here for my own thing, not a lot of companies can match my pay as well. I was working for one of the coded government contractors in the US so I was being paid well but I saw an opportunity here and I took it. My wife too is here and not working for anyone, she's lucky enough to have a job where she works from home so she just brought it down here. At the same time, she has started to work on building a company here in Naija

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by kaboninc(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2014
I think I have a suggestion: The city gates should be opened and those who want to leave should be categorised as this:

1. Those who want to leave and never return should please go and never return. They should renounce their citizenship.

2. Those who choose to live for any other reason can go too while we define their conditions for returning.

I bet you that those in the first category will be more, up to 90 percent of those who want to leave. And its only when these fellas leave that our country can be developed. Worse is when the category 1 peeps return, they end up becoming our leaders. All I can say to that is we're getting wiser and the people are becoming enlightened each passing day.
This country is a mess but am tired of saying it, tired of hearing it and sick at not doing something about it. This tells us the kind of mindset we have. Even when things are improving, we doubt in and make a joke out of it.

For those who think there are no opportunities in Nigeria, I think they've a very restricted and limited horizon and they are solely responsible for it. There are so many fine youths out there doing brilliantly well and Nairaland has so many of them. Have we asked ourselves why Corporations are coming to invest in Nigeria even with the insecurity, the 'bad infrastructure', the bad everything? BlackBerry till today has significant market share in Africa and Nigeria in particular. MTN Nigeria contributes the most revenue to the MTN Group. The Tiger brand, Techno is not different. With the 'oil theft and bunkering and insecurity' in the Niger Delta, Nigerian companies are springing up in the oil and gas sector. If we leave, these foreign investors will come in with their own people and that will ironically help develop their country! Oh, take China for example.

Nigeria is bad, bad and the worst country on earth and so what? Your local community is very bad and so what? What are you doing about it? Running only to come back and effective contribute to its worsening state? Your street is filthy and in a horrible state yet you contribute when you pee in an open place. Yet during sanitation days you stay in doors cursing and cursing! Yet after biting your gala and bottled coke or 'pure' water you drop the wraps or cans on the same street you curse is dirty even when there's a clear view of a dustbin? Haba! There is indeed God oh!

Our education system is very crude yet brilliant guys graduate every year, not because they are born exceptional but because they worked very hard for it. Because your lecturer is dumb makes you a dumb? Because there's no electricity I won't find a way to study and study hard? Because there are no good roads I won't go to school? Because the President's son school's in Harvard, I won't be successful even in an unfriendly environment? There are excuses I feel stupid when I give.

Guys the revolution we seek so much starts with us, in our heart and mind! If just only one percent of those who travel out simply because 'we're in a mess' can just think deeply and say no to the bad roads, no to the fictitious contracts by government agencies and private institutions, no to the nepotism in private and government institutions, no to filthy and dirty environment, no to police extortion and bribery, no to poor administration either in our local community, organisations, then we'll someday find ourselves either very close to the sun or Heaven.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 10:00am On Sep 28, 2014
maternal:

I'm on your side. I also have some businesses there which has employed others. My issue is we (I did anyway) got the capital by coming abroad. And if it doesn't work out like you said, I'm a flight away from North America as well. The average Nigerian does not have such a luxury. My point is would your moral be the same if the US wasn't a flight away ? Would you be so pro fix naija ?

I get you!! Now my argument is not that every Nigerian should leave the US/UK and start heading back to "fix" Nigeria, that would be irresponsible especially if you don't have any opportunity to explore. I mean, it took me 11 years to come back, there was a period I didn't even want to hear "Naija".

My friends in the US from time to time ask me about moving back to Naija and what I always say is, if there's a good opportunity that you're willing to explore (soft landing) then by all means come down but if you just want to come down, leave your job, your house, your family because you heard someone that moved back is now making millions, then you'll be screwed.

So even with the "flight away" situation, I had to make sure everything was signed and sealed and even advance paid before I started heading. My problem with this thread has been some contributors saying if you leave, just go and don't look back and others that just do nothing but complain about Nigeria like they didn't contribute to the deterioration before the checked out. Someone mentioned seeing mad men all over, did that person even bother to look into what can be done or how to reduce this? I've they done any research on how the US/UK were able to solve this problem, all we say is government is not doing it like the government is not made up of people.

I will only talk from what I know, ppl might think everything is hopeless in Naija but while some are thinking that way others are making it happen. One of the projects I'm working on right now is the first phase of a Forensics Lab for MOST, LASG. Someone must have brought up the idea, it must have made sense to the LASG and now they're working on it. This idea is running into the billions to create but they thought it was an important enough idea to fund. LASG couldn't "afford" it so they went and got private funding, meaning the guy that's willing to invest too thinks its a good idea.

My point is this, people are willing even the government (for the few that are working) are willing to invest in something that makes sense in Nigeria. So again Naija is not a hopeless situation, you just have to open to stuff, be creative and don't expect things will work as smoothly as it works in US/UK or wherever.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 10:03am On Sep 28, 2014
**COULDN'T DELETE I POSTED TWICE**
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mployer(m): 10:03am On Sep 28, 2014
aspirebig:

Bro, read my post very well I am still in Nigeria. I am a learned fellow with good qualifications and good years of work experience. If I am to travel now, my case will not be like your cousin's own, ok. Ori yato si Ori.Your cousin is living his own life and destiny, my own destiny is different too.

You better advice your so called cousin to come back instead of adding figures to those in abroad, before it is too late. Or are you sure you are not even the cousin in question.One thing about life is that personal priorities, personal discipline in areas of handling our scarce resources, destiny, prayer, luck, , opportunities all differs. What worked for A , may not work for B. So read well before posting your comments.

Your problem is commenting without reading. You are probably under-employed here, whatever caused it for you here will still do same over there.

I didn't say my cousins live abroad, I said they have EU passports. Their mum is from Belgium. The schooled here, preferred work here to working in Europe.

I used to wonder within me, if European citizens as they are do not want to return and work in their homeland do to their race what makes me think I as a foreigner will find it easy over there
And FYI, you won't do more than wash dishes with that your Nigerian certificate you are bragging about.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by justwise(m): 10:09am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
I said it long before now. I was believing I would land somewhere in Africa. That way, I would still be connected to Nigeria without thinking I'm far away. I believe I have mentioned that several times on the thread.

I'm sorry to say this but your understanding about traveling abroad and working is not up to the scratch.

Career oriented traveling is one of the most amazing opportunities anybody can have because you are going with a job/training, work visa is not a problem, accommodation is not a problem, you basically learn and earn at the same time. Working for UN gives you that opportunity to grow career wise and move from country to country, even have the opportunity to have get diplomatic passport.

You can still contribute to the development of Nigeria without living permanently in Nigeria.

The problem with many of you with 1908 knowledge of living and working abroad is that you still think that everybody that leaves Nigeria is going to live there illegally, clean toilet and marry a pensioner to get a paper.

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ibkgab001: 10:11am On Sep 28, 2014
Hoestly I wasnt born with a silver spoon but believe me I will Fabricate one that will last my 50 Generations to come...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (37) (Reply)

Living In Ghana, My Experience. / The Moment A Container Truck Fell And Crushed An SUV (Disturbing Video) / Man Who Just Got Sacked, Cut Into Two By BRT Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.