Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,173 members, 7,939,748 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 11:18 AM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (64100 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by jakedes(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: exporting cocoa now is a wrong business ... you are shallow man . if only you know how many hausa men who never went to school but are making millions in exporting onions. these men ball in those countries you are dieing to go to ... change ur mentality !

Please may I know region & part of 9ja u come frm...talking about farming...the hausa men u use as an example are into mechanized farming and not the stone aged mannual farming I see in the villages down here..how many Govt finance support program 4 farming are active down here..I. Guess u should do ur research properly b4 argueing..

What all u suppoter of #staybackandfix9ja# do not know is that for this country to be that ideal Nigeria we wish 4 ,there will be a serious revolution that will cost a whole lot...4 those of u presently with good jobs..can u afford to loose ur job @ d expense of a better Nigeria??..think about it and stop exerting ur e-guts..a better Nigeria can't be achieved on the internet..

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 10:23am On Sep 28, 2014
kaboninc: I think I have a suggestion: The city gates should be opened and those who want to leave should be categorised as this:

1. Those who want to leave and never return should please go and never return. They should renounce their citizenship.

2. Those who choose to live for any other reason can go too while we define their conditions for returning.

I bet you that those in the first category will be more, up to 90 percent of those who want to leave. And its only when these fellas leave that our country can be developed. Worse is when the category 1 peeps return, they end up becoming our leaders. All I can say to that is we're getting wiser and the people are becoming enlightened each passing day.
This country is a mess but am tired of saying it, tired of hearing it and sick at not doing something about it. This tells us the kind of mindset we have. Even when things are improving, we doubt in and make a joke out of it.

For those who think there are no opportunities in Nigeria, I think they've a very restricted and limited horizon and they are solely responsible for it. There are so many fine youths out there doing brilliantly well and Nairaland has so many of them. Have we asked ourselves why Corporations are coming to invest in Nigeria even with the insecurity, the 'bad infrastructure', the bad everything? BlackBerry till today has significant market share in Africa and Nigeria in particular. MTN Nigeria contributes the most revenue to the MTN Group. The Tiger brand, Techno is not different. With the 'oil theft and bunkering and insecurity' in the Niger Delta, Nigerian companies are springing up in the oil and gas sector. If we leave, these foreign investors will come in with their own people and that will ironically help develop their country! Oh, take China for example.

Nigeria is bad, bad and the worst country on earth and so what? Your local community is very bad and so what? What are you doing about it? Running only to come back and effective contribute to its worsening state? Your street is filthy and in a horrible state yet you contribute when you pee in an open place. Yet during sanitation days you stay in doors cursing and cursing! Yet after biting your gala and bottled coke or 'pure' water you drop the wraps or cans on the same street you curse is dirty even when there's a clear view of a dustbin? Haba! There is indeed God oh!

Our education system is very crude yet brilliant guys graduate every year, not because they are born exceptional but because they worked very hard for it. Because your lecturer is dumb makes you a dumb? Because there's no electricity I won't find a way to study and study hard? Because there are no good roads I won't go to school? Because the President's son school's in Harvard, I won't be successful even in an unfriendly environment? There are excuses I feel stupid when I give.

Guys the revolution we seek so much starts with us, in our heart and mind! If just only one percent of those who travel out simply because 'we're in a mess' can just think deeply and say no to the bad roads, no to the fictitious contracts by government agencies and private institutions, no to the nepotism in private and government institutions, no to filthy and dirty environment, no to police extortion and bribery, no to poor administration either in our local community, organisations, then we'll someday find ourselves either very close to the sun or Heaven.

Thank you!! This all I'm saying. Has anyone here especially the "abandon ship" guys ever looked at what's going on with Eko Atlantic?? A lot of people might think its one of those projects that'll never happen but believe me when I say work is going on there seriously. Now if you take a look at most of the architects/developers there, they are foreign firms. These guys leave their "sane" environment to invest here because they know how to recognize opportunity. Those guys didn't get to where they are today because they were always looking for the most comfortable option.

Those guys will make billions while developing Naija and take it back to their country to help develop it even further meanwhile we Nigerians over there turn our noses up and act like they're better than Nigeria/Nigerians.

Most of these guys that are saying US this, UK that would avoid paying taxes if they could, a lot of them living on credit they know they can't afford. A lot of them contributing to the decadence of these countries and yet some of them come here and talk about how US/UK is paradise. Truth is if the US were left alone to some of these individuals it'll be worse than Naija in less than 5 years.

My goal is to be successful here and have a lot left over to even go back and invest well in the US, therefore living the best of both worlds. I know guys that have done this, starting from a humble background. Guys that had a goal and were willing to go for it. I know guys that do a month here, a month there. Guys that go back and drop money on a house that people shouting here can't afford even with their 30-year payment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by tandj: 10:33am On Sep 28, 2014

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by mrmetoo1: 10:41am On Sep 28, 2014
tandj: The truth is, all is not about money.

In nigeria, majority r dreamers(thanks to our church pastors and imans) but outside, its as real as it can be.

In all around lagos, no recreational parks for kids? Only shoprite and agbero filled bar beach.

How do we sensitize our kids?
What about d elderly?

Nigeria is a country where at 35 a lady is stigmatized cos she is single, a divorcee is ridiculed.

Nigeria is a country where u work 8 to 5 everyday and go home with stipend at d end of the month( giving way to embezzlement cos ur salary is never enuf)

Nigeria is a place where all d men of God buy jets, no accountability in church, churches and mosques put mega speakers outside to disrupt people of night's sleep(hush, don't say nadder, its house of God)

I don't wanna talk about d government.

Nigeria is that country with substandard goods everywhere.
Gosh, what is good about nigeria?

Folks, travel and see how far.

Our universities r now glorified secondary schools. No work even after masters.

Enuf said.

Please where are you and what have you done to provide solutions to these problems?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by persius555(m): 10:43am On Sep 28, 2014
Sanchez01:
Truth is, you said my mind without mincing words. We claim Nigeria is bad, yet it birthed Seun and Linda, Japheth Omojuwa, Psquare, Tu-face, and even the so-called D'banj who was abroad did not 'make it' there until he came home. I have always concluded that Nigeria is a natural resources which does not require the regular mining to tap her wealth. Politicians keep looting, yet, it has not barred those who think outside of the boxing from succeeding.
Abeg Op, dont start at all. Why are u quick to mention a few privilleged artists. For every tuface, tiwa savage , linda ikeji out there, millions are still out there, desperately searching for their opportunities in the midst of plenty.All you can do or should do is to encourage and probably assist those willing to do legitimate work travel out of the country.You can stay at least u are privilleged.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by kaboninc(m): 10:49am On Sep 28, 2014
mrmetoo1:

Thank you!! This all I'm saying. Has anyone here especially the "abandon ship" guys ever looked at what's going on with Eko Atlantic?? A lot of people might think its one of those projects that'll never happen but believe me when I say work is going on there seriously. Now if you take a look at most of the architects/developers there, they are foreign firms. These guys leave their "sane" environment to invest here because they know how to recognize opportunity. Those guys didn't get to where they are today because they were always looking for the most comfortable option.

Those guys will make billions while developing Naija and take it back to their country to help develop it even further meanwhile we Nigerians over there turn our noses up and act like they're better than Nigeria/Nigerians.

Most of these guys that are saying US this, UK that would avoid paying taxes if they could, a lot of them living on credit they know they can't afford. A lot of them contributing to the decadence of these countries and yet some of them come here and talk about how US/UK is paradise. Truth is if the US were left alone to some of these individuals it'll be worse than Naija in less than 5 years.

My goal is to be successful here and have a lot left over to even go back and invest well in the US, therefore living the best of both worlds. I know guys that have done this, starting from a humble background. Guys that had a goal and were willing to go for it. I know guys that do a month here, a month there. Guys that go back and drop money on a house that people shouting here can't afford even with their 30-year payment.

You're welcome sir. I just wish our youths realise that they have so much potentials to be great. I'm not there yet, not close and very far. But I like and want to be positive and remain positive. We've got what it takes to be great.

Am not against travelling in the general sense but vacation, study, research and then get your aS.s back to the country. Nor because our country is in a mess!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by kaboninc(m): 10:54am On Sep 28, 2014
mrmetoo1:

Please where are you and what have you done to provide solutions to these problems?

Was about to ask him that. If we can get just one person in every community who'll make committed and concerted effort, the better. Am not a saint either but I feel compelled to be real and unbiased.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by blaxx: 11:02am On Sep 28, 2014
Akinsz: nak dis guy 3bottles of alomo bitter. Well said.
Plus some shekpe n monkey tail...
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by justwise(m): 11:21am On Sep 28, 2014
barry35:

I've never liked your post cos you banned me once but this one was superb. Thanks.

Can't remember that and can't see it even on your profile grin grin
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by DobraDobra: 11:24am On Sep 28, 2014
my guy tell us where d job offers was ie which country yes u may reject it if ur job is to go to war zone and report
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by barry35: 11:24am On Sep 28, 2014
justwise:

Can't remember that and can't see it even on your profile grin grin

It's this nairaland.com/nuttyhnic
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bayulll01(m): 11:26am On Sep 28, 2014
safarigirl: you apparently know nothing if you assume you'll just travel out and a job will be waiting for you no matter how degrading.

I'll have you know that even the citizens of wherever you're travelling to would also be interested in that shiiit cleaning business you were hoping to snag....

Whatever money you'll make there will be taken away from you in the name of tax. Nigerians don't even know how good they have it here. You watch a few American movies and you think going abroad will be awesome. Na when dem ship your dead body come Naija na that time your relatives' eye go clear.

Only a lazy man will be poor in Nigeria, people in this country run businesses and make up to 100,000 naira per week, some per day even, when they've settled all bills, they cart home at least 2 million naira quarterly.

Seun, Linda Ikeji and co didn't make their money abroad. Banky W, tiwa Savage, seyi shay, Don Jazzy had to leave foreign lands to come and make money here. You never ask those oness wey go come back wetin make them return, you wan go.

I wish you adieu and make sure some red-neck racist c?nt doesnkt end you while you're hustling there
u see av always mentioned this safari when u want to heard be objectives and lay ur points stop using all these insane word or dont type pls,this is a matured thread,as u mentions all those artist made name, do u know banky was living in america before he came to nigeria,same with tiwa,jazzy and those pple u mention,yeah we all know of seun,why wont i live abroad and pay my tax if am enjoying what am paying for,u are very young and naive,i pray u learn

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by loswhite(m): 11:29am On Sep 28, 2014
justwise:

Do you really believe that? Only a lazy man will be poor in Nigeria? Making 100,000 naira per week as a business man is not a lot of money considering the fact that student working part time in the UK during the summer can make that much after tax and still enjoy free health care, 24/7 electricity and water supply, good road network, faster internet connection, relatively secure environment and higher life expectancy.

I understand that we Nigerians measure level of success by how much money we have in the bank and not by standard of living and quality of our health.

she didn't learn statistics and probability in skool. In the eyes of ppl like her, once u have made money, then u r not lazy. Ppl like this can celebrate militants, politicians, kidnappers and all sought of fradulent ppl in Nigeria. In her lame opinion, not making money equal lazy.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by DobraDobra: 11:29am On Sep 28, 2014
migration or traveling is as old as d world if it does not make sense god will not instruct Abraham to leave his fathers house his family his tribe and his nation to another place. travelling it self is education it open ur minnd and horizon, every body can make it in dia country it is what u do with ur travelling that matters unfortunately people only see d few ones doing odd jobs not d ones making positive impact in these countries

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by blaxx: 11:35am On Sep 28, 2014
A thief with no opportunity to steal thinks he's honest.
Give most of them #StayBackAndFixNaija people a 1 day visa and see if them go agree to return.

Nigeria is a good country to invest but you cannot make that kind of dorobucci money when you're inside.

If you get paid £50 to fix a hair (home service) a day and you make 5 ladies hair in a week... That's £250.
£250 X 280= N70k for those week.
Even if doesn't make sense in d uk, but think about wetin 70k go do for Nigeria.

Abi na d hausa man wey no sabi speak english but him dey tidy suya for woolwich?

I could go on and on...

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bayulll01(m): 11:37am On Sep 28, 2014
justwise:

Its interesting that in a country of about 150 million people you managed to count just few who made it legitimately without going abroad. How about the rest?
justwise pls ignore that guy,he know nothing when we talked about standard of living linda ikeji is now the standard to measure success u guys deserve the president u all have na waa

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Pasca07: 11:48am On Sep 28, 2014
majekdom2: oh go become a nuisance over there and lets see what you ll make of yourself in the 50 years time you just said.
Haven't u become a nuisance on this thread with the gibberish u have been spewing since?

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bayulll01(m): 11:50am On Sep 28, 2014
MsNas:
I haven't seen one job that somebody in Naija can wake up and decide "oh darn it. I'm gonna stop walking the streets of Lagos looking for a job. This is gonna be my day job" Twitter celeb you say? So I should go trolling all over twitter space searching for followers so that I can amass enough to make me worthy enough of being able to advertise for them on my page? I'm really dumbfounded.

Nigeria is a great place and people can survive and make a real decent living here. But for many, it's a real dream killer. A place where excellence is not applauded, they will rather turn their nose up at you an "yinmu". Saying, "Na today? E Don tey. Somebody did this sometime back". So?? Encourage, praise, and we will be motivated to get better.

Why won't people wanna get out of Nigeria? When I can be here and not have a dime in my pocket, but I'm not hungry nor homeless. I can afford to overdraw my account and pay back later? Things work. I get my money's worth for services rendered. I went to school and while in school I earned enough to pay my rent and bills and still have some left over to enjoy life moderately? I go to the hospital and after being treated, my bills runs into say $950 but because the medical sector and insurance works well, I am only required to pay the $15 copay and carry my yansh home. Yet you're still asking me why I couldn't stay in Naija?

The corruption has eaten deep into the echelon of the Nigerian society and the youths are the ones at the receiving end. Nigeria where they are screaming youth empowerment, youth empowerment. Yet the youth leader of those political parties are 35-45 year olds! darn!!! what sort of rubbish is that?

Everybody has a choice of. Stay or leave, but the OP should not turn is nose down on people that chose to leave.
madam u have time explaining to the kid of Nl that knows nothing about life,i have a boss that earn 600k monthly the guys is looking for any opportunity to jet out of country,u cant even have value for ur money i beg if u can make it here no wahala and u pple should using linda as ayardstick for success thats why our kids are failing WAEC

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bayulll01(m): 11:53am On Sep 28, 2014
ibe003: this safarigirl is woman she don't know any thing, I don't even know why she is here this page suppose to be for men, people like am are ready to open yash for mad man abroad just to make money,
don't mind the siiilly gurl if thats the way all Nigerian undergrad thinks then no hope,i meant it

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by jozifdolarz(m): 11:53am On Sep 28, 2014
please don't discourage those who are willing to travel..if nigeria really pays u,good then stay in nija bro..ur post will discourage sme simple hearts who there destiny is really..i drop out 4rm school because of hardship,afta i lost my parents,i was fustratd,dnt knw wat to do,then i first made my way to Greece,i Spent just 3monts and i came bak nt lng ago,i realized just 3million naira.if i decided to stay in nijaria nau,i think i can make it with that.u talk abt don jazy or wateva,he travld to london around year 2000,i learnt he works at mc donald,he gathered money b4 he return to nijaria and pursue his career in music,evn dbanj.my guy is gud to travel 4dose who has d oportunity neva u miss it plz i beg u

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Pasca07: 11:58am On Sep 28, 2014
swedbase: Next time you get that kind of opportunity grab it with both hands my dear because abroad will always be better than Nigeria in any comparism. I could n't even afford to rent my own appartment as at 2007 when i was in Nigeria but today i own landed properties and about to own a hostel some where in Owerri not mentioning other things like cars, helping relatives and friends.
May God bless your hussle....

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by drnoel: 12:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
bebe2:

see my brother, its not like that,

no one wants to leave their home and settle outside.

maybe u r financially stable so a job with UN is not a big deal but for others like
you, that could be the ticket out of absolute porverty.

if u and those around u are comfortable, have u ever sat down and wondered about those young children
you see under the bridge? or those old pple u see looking hungry or that disabled person being wheeled about
looking for money?

you may have be desensitised to these issues but for pple who visit nigeria, these are raw experiences because you
tend to forget after awhile how things are in naija until u get home again.

personally, i cant take it. it breaks my heart.
imagine living in a country for 10yrs without seeing a single mad person, then u land in your country and there it is in front of you,
a brother wit matted hair, filthy torn clothes, eating out of the gutters. from there on my mind don spoil.

thats somebody's son or brother or even a father, they havent committed any crime, its sheer badluck dat they have mental illness and nobody seem to care. its beyond me dat pple can see dat everyday and still think its ok , and hail politicians who are clearly embezzling the money meant for the vulnerable in the society.

the west is not heaven but i bet its close.

just one example,
i was very ill last night, severe stomach, at about 3am i couldnt bear it any so i called an ambulance.
within minutes a motor bike came with paramedics and started taking my blood pressure etc in our living room, few minutes later an ambulance came, the motor bike guys handed over and left and the ambulance took me to the hospital.

then i compare that wit my experience in nigeria when my nephews were sick, and u wonder if na God really create all humans.

the morale of the story is, dnt knock it till u ve tried it.

it may not suit u but for me and many others, the west is home for now.

gd night smiley

U sure hit d nail on d head

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Pasca07: 12:17pm On Sep 28, 2014
tandj: The truth is, all is not about money.

In nigeria, majority r dreamers(thanks to our church pastors and imans) but outside, its as real as it can be.

In all around lagos, no recreational parks for kids? Only shoprite and agbero filled bar beach.

How do we sensitize our kids?
What about d elderly?

Nigeria is a country where at 35 a lady is stigmatized cos she is single, a divorcee is ridiculed.

Nigeria is a country where u work 8 to 5 everyday and go home with stipend at d end of the month( giving way to embezzlement cos ur salary is never enuf)

Nigeria is a place where all d men of God buy jets, no accountability in church, churches and mosques put mega speakers outside to disrupt people of night's sleep(hush, don't say nadder, its house of God)

I don't wanna talk about d government.

Nigeria is that country with substandard goods everywhere.
Gosh, what is good about nigeria?

Folks, travel and see how far.

Our universities r now glorified secondary schools. No work even after masters.

Enuf said.

1000 likes
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 28, 2014
Silkmoth33:

Ah! I just remembered my moment with me grandma, she told me her sister was sold when she was young.

Now dat I think of it.
I may have some devishly handsome black american bro or sis over dere now!
Cést là víe

ma bro..better go check if any of them ships dey harbour o....make u jump in go see ur relatives #Roots
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by swedbase(m): 12:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
Pasca07: May God bless your hussle....

Thanx bro and may God bless you too
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Pasca07: 12:31pm On Sep 28, 2014
swedbase:

Thanx bro and may God bless you too
amen thanks....

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ndubisik(m): 12:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
londoner: Well, I think Nigerians (and people from developing countries generally) have an impression about what they will automatically get from simply going abroad. Mentally, they are not prepared.

You see/hear it in the way they relate to family members, that are already abroad. The Nigerians honestly believe those abroad are living the high life, that they have money to burn. That is not the case.

I would not say, don't go abroad, but have a thought to looking homeward once you "make it" (whatever that means to you), and I don't mean just going at Xmas to show off and brainwash people into seeing you as an "oga". Actually make plans to replicate the changes you have seen outside, back in Nigeria. In a way that responds to where Nigeria is now. The changes you say you want to see. They are only abroad because people made it so.

That is what you/we would be enjoying, the effort of people who have made the sacrifice.

There is serious money and success to be made in Nigeria. It may be that it is out of your reach until you leave, to go back in. Many have done it. For those who claim they have not seen a man person abroad, yes you may not have seen them on the streets (which I doubt), but there will definately be hospitals for the mentally ill. There will be the homeless abroad.
If you work and pay tax, you are helping to pay for it.

Please don't let anyone abroad come to NL and lie to you.....lol

Its time Nigerians who go abroad actually tell those at home THE TRUTH about what happens here.

There ARE mad people, there ARE homeless people, there ARE peple who beg, there ARE people who have to go to food banks to be able to feed themselves and their family, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WORKING. There ARE people who really are struggling abroad, including the indegenes of those places.

It's not a paradise. I understand that things may be more accessible if you are outside of the "connection" obsessed Nigeria, but please stop thinking that going abroad is the destination. Its just the start of your journey.

Truly, you are only benefitting from the efforts of people who, previously recognised their country lacked, but they were also willing to stay and build what they wanted to see.

I find it interesting when people cite the health services, roads etc in the country they are in. I would bet money that they NEVER read up on the origins of some of these features of the west. Do they really read up and research their journey to having those things?

Its just the end result. Even countries that once had corrupt leaders, who today dont HAVE A JOURNEY to the society we are enjoying today.

Nigeria needs people who are interested in being part of the journey to the Nigeria they want to see. It is the lack of this type of citizen that ensures nothing changes in Nigeria.

Travel, if you want to, but try not to forget to make your contribution Afterall, if we dont want to contribute to a change, why should we complain, that it is staying the same?

Y'all should settle down and read this wise comment. Enough said
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
shockwave91:

ma bro..better go check if any of them ships dey harbour o....make u jump in go see ur relatives #Roots

I done dey where me socks sef.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by MenGoingThereWay: 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
Let's face the truth staring us in the face...,,Nigeria is messed up...if we can all come to terms with the fact that Nigeria is messed up that will be d first step to correcting the Nigerian state rather than try to paint the truth.

Tell me if there is any act of terrorism that is worse than negligence of government towards its people. The negligence of the Nigerian govt has claimed more lives and ruined destined compared to boko haram...In Nigeria people die of illness that wouldn't hv killed them if we had a functioning health system.

People talking here of how one can make it in naija and how its only lazy pple that can't mke it here are all talking because u can afford 3 square meals, u hv ur generator, live in a very conducive environment and went to good school and have got jobs....if u want to be sincere about the country and to yourself then u will view Naija thru the eyes of the millions wallowing in abject poverty.

People say we shouldn't compare Nigeria to UsA or Uk but I say why can't we after all can us or uk boast of the resources naijA has? If we had reasonable leaders max it may take to make naija a country to reckon with is say 15yr.

Its just so sad for the youths of Naija...cos of the pshycological torment frm naija most hve seen it As normal to earn 25k with a bsc. so why won't youths seek to travel out where they get value for there certificate in terms of pay and employment.

Naija doesn't know what is about to hit it..with the influx of Nigerian youths into foreign school and the country retaining the best of Nigerian minds because they value what naija doesn't value (intellectual resources) Naija will soon start suffering from human capital which is going to be very terrible because the world is gradually moving from ur natural resources to Intellectual resources.

You wonder how Nigerians will reason well when there is no basic amenities...if there are basic amenities pple will be in d right frame of mind to fight for any cause and it seems the leaders are purposely making life in naija so hard tha citizens will hv no chioce but to focus
On survive.

I thAnk God for his favour in my life but that doesn't make me blind to the fact that my Nigerian brothers and sisters are suffering and if anyone has d means to go abroad pls do GO.

-MenGoingThereWay.

7 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ndubisik(m): 12:48pm On Sep 28, 2014
For me, what the op is saying is the must travel mentality is overrated. If u Travel go, travel come back. At the end of the day,ur money is what makes things work over there. The only difference between here and the west is proper utilization of resources. If we the youth run away from what is ours, who's gonna fix it for us? Our frail elders? Or our unborn children? The battle we face now is more crucial than even that at Independence in 1960.

The Labour of Our Heroes Past Shall Never Be In Vain
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Goldenboy007(m): 12:54pm On Sep 28, 2014
Good post by the OP, in fact it's a great post but we cannot box the entirety of life into a personal experience. All you said is true but that's just one version of the truth, we all have our own version of the truth depending on the angle we see from or criteria we judge from. I was relatively successful in Nigeria but I moved to the US based on family contigencies and within 2 years I have doubled what it took me 15 years to achieve in Nigeria. A friend also left a Mobil job, moved to the US and in the less than 6 months he started earning more than what he was earning in Mobil. Some will say its crazy but when you consider the future of your family in an uncertain country with no sign of things getting better? You will also jump ship ! Let's not be fooled, it was not all sweet stories at the beginning but things will always change if you run with a vision. This ; Op is my version of the truth !

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ilekere: A family friend called me yesterday to seek my advice.
Something about moving to Nigeria to change Nigeria's political system.
Mind you, the girl was born and raised in America.

My point, when we don't get both perspective, our decisions/judgments are often biased.

Anybody that wants out of Nigeria, go for it. Come as a student if need be and you're never too old to go to school.
Do what you must to escape that jungle.

Wow. That girl is me. The last time I mentioned my wish on Nairaland I got so much anger and venom. I feel a little encouraged now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (37) (Reply)

Living In Ghana, My Experience. / The Moment A Container Truck Fell And Crushed An SUV (Disturbing Video) / Man Who Just Got Sacked, Cut Into Two By BRT Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.