Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,759 members, 7,905,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 06:56 PM

Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State (4578 Views)

Chris Ngige's Masquerade At His Father's Burial Today - Photos / Uk: Muslims Attack Convert From Islam To Christianity With Pickaxe / What Prophet Muhammad Said About Religious Extremism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by Collynzo22: 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
Extremism begets terrorism
There was confusion in Iwo, Osun State, on Friday when some Muslim youth clashed with traditional worshippers (masquerades), setting the regalia of one traditionalist on fire. The man behind the masquerade, simply called Ogundeji, was beaten to pulp before the regalia were burnt. The victim sustained severe injuries and barely escaped the scene to safety. The incident occurred during the annual Egungun Festival in Iwo and almost disrupted the activities of the traditionalists in the ancient town. The Muslim group, known as Kamarudeen Muslim Society, was said to be organising a religious
programme when the traditionalists came by and demanded that they must stop their drumming, which drew the anger of the Muslims following which a free-for-all fight ensued. The head of traditionalists in Iwo, known as the Alagbaa of Iwoland, Ojelana Ojeseyi, expressed disappointment over the act, describing the action as barbaric and inhuman. Ojeseyi maintained that the action of the Muslim group violated the fundamental rights of traditional worshippers hence the need for government and its agencies to intervene in the matter. Speaking on the burnt regalia, Ogundeji lamented that the action had consumed his inheritance. He explained that it would cost N20 million to replace the regalia and prepare concoctions and sacrifices to appease spirit of the burnt masquerade and to
design another one. Executive secretary, Iwo Local Government Area, Alhaji Kamorudeen Alao, said the attack was capable of causing religious crisis in the ancient town, although relevant government agencies had intervened in the matter. The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Sunday Akere, also said government would look into the matter. When contacted on the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, Folashade Odoro, confirmed the incident, saying the command had commenced an investigation into the matter and the culprits would be charged to court. Odoro reiterated the readiness of the police to provide security for everyone in the state, while assuring members of the Egungun group in Iwo that the police would provide enough security for them for the remaining days of the festival
www.dailyindependentnig.com/2014/09/muslim-youths-traditionalists-clash-osun/
www.osundefender.org/?p=188809&cpage=1
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by lanrexdo(m): 1:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
Why should they clash. The egungun started the whole incident. They should be blamed for their woe. Glad that no life was lost.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by lirusehn(m): 1:47pm On Sep 30, 2014

Islam tho undecided

3 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by darisgod(m): 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ummmmmm na wa ooooo

Just incase grin
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
^^^^^^^Na waoo just incase too^^^^^^
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by Idrismusty97(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2014
Speaking on the burnt regalia, Ogundeji lamented that the action had consumed his inheritance. He explained that it would cost N20 million to replace the regalia and prepare concoctions and sacrifices to appease spirit of the burnt masquerade and to design another one.
Whoa! Is it made of gold? Where are the traditionalists in this forum. Macof, Pagan9ja, AlfaSeltzer, etc Come and see o! smiley

Police Public Relations Officer, Folashade Odoro, confirmed the incident, saying the command had commenced an investigation into the matter and the culprits would be charged to court.
....And that is where all matters end. An "Investigation"! They won't prosecute anybody as usual. Fortunately no one was murdered.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by 0rlando0woh: 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2014
Something is brewing in Yoruba land.

8 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by juman(m): 2:12pm On Sep 30, 2014
lanrexdo: Why should they clash. The egungun started the whole incident. They should be blamed for their woe. Glad that no life was lost.

Yeah.
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by enomakos(m): 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2014
[quote
author=lanrexdo]Why should they clash. The egungun started the whole
incident. They should be blamed for their woe. Glad that no life was
lost.[/quote]

where you there?

what happened to freedom of religion?

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by AustineE1: 2:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
..i thought the yorubas often claim they have religious tolerance among them...the way the media is covered this days with constant news of clashes between the yoruba traditionalist vs muslim and sometimes squabbles between yoruba muslims vs christians,i fear if this region of Nigeria is actually not living on a 'keg of gun powder'!waiting for grave implosion.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by Vikky014(f): 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
0rlando0woh: Something is brewing in Yoruba land.
NO IN IGBO LAND!

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by aryzgreat: 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
This is Yoruba definition of religious tolerance. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by elspycey(m): 3:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
AustineE1: ..i thought the yorubas often claim they have religious tolerance among them...the way the media is covered with constant news clash between the yoruba traditionalist vs muslim clashes and sometimes squabbles between yoruba muslims vs christians,i fear if this region of Nigeria is actually living on a 'keg of gun powder'!waiting for grave implosion.

FYM... For your mind abi

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by emmasege: 3:11pm On Sep 30, 2014
Woe betides anyone who drums, sings or makes any noise around mosques in Iwo, and this has been the belief for so many years in Iwo until recently that the masquerade defy their self-imposed rule. I hope the Governor would address this without any bias, thank God he practises the two religions in question. For all i care, u can fight urselves, just don't drag Christianity into this

3 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
[size=18pt]They will pay with dia blood.

Arab foreign religion has no right to dictate terms in Yorubaland
[/size].

18 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by talktimi(m): 4:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
The initial actions of the traditionalists in telling the muslims to stop their drumming also violated the fundamental rights of the muslims.

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by thewarrior72: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
PAGAN9JA: [size=18pt]They will pay with dia blood.

[/size].
You no de change ni? tongue
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by cirmuell(m): 5:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
This whole ish phucked up and I see people spewing trash already. Anyways,
Did these muslim folks know about the aforementioned festival?
If yes, did they planned their own program for the same day on purpose?
If No, should they have resort to violence even when they do preach "peace"?
For the Traditional folks, they shouldn't have demand the other folks stop their program, knowing the kind of people they are! They should have explore other means, I think they asked for it .
I hope Justice is done sha.
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by Donfamous(m): 6:02pm On Sep 30, 2014
U mean like this?

3 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by thewarrior72: 6:03pm On Sep 30, 2014
Well, in as much as Islam is my enemy, I will not fail to condemn the actions of traditional worshipers this days. Their actions & deeds is becoming unbearable this days, the will block the road, stop people from opening their shops & warn residence to stay indoors.

These traditional worshipers don't seem to realise that the right of other people should be respected why u practice ur faith & should not constitute a nuisance to the society. The earlier the government call them to order the better.

3 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by meforyou1(m): 6:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
Violence. Always the janjaweedeans

2 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by tomakint: 6:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
As much as I disapprove of the overbearing attitudes of the traditionalists I still maintain that Islam is not a religion of peace!

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by lanrexdo(m): 6:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
Did you read the news at all..Freedom of religion is what is is called. why would the Egungun in the first place try and stop the muslim congreation from doing there thing jeje. Do you even know what is called Egungun in this upstate yoruba land?
enomakos:

where you there?

what happened to freedom of religion?
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by stinggy(m): 7:19pm On Sep 30, 2014
PAGAN9JA: They will pay with dia blood.

They must!!!
What nonsense angry

2 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
talktimi: The initial actions of the traditionalists in telling the muslims to stop their drumming also violated the fundamental rights of the muslims.

Since when do muslims drum?

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by oderemo(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Since 1894 now.
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by talktimi(m): 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

I dunno, I'm not a Muslim plus I'm just making observations based on the story line
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by texanomaly(f): 7:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Really...I thought musical instruments were haram.

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by MisterLongman(m): 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
So "Ara-orun" cannot fight for himself...... Maybe he was weak in the spirit....... So his forefathers spent #20M on the regalia, the yeye guy dey find awuuf package
Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
Intolerant Muslims.
Being killing since Muhammad AD

3 Likes

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by AbdH: 9:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
rafhell: Intolerant Muslims.
Being killing since Muhammad AD

Olodo Christian.
'Being killing' English Language since God knows when.

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism: Kamarudeen Muslims Attack Masquerade In Iwo, Osun State by macof(m): 1:08pm On Oct 01, 2014
It's not only Iwo but Lagos island, Ikorodu, Isolo that I know in Lagos...Muslims and pagans clash but never to the extent of tampering with Egungun regalia

Even Awori muslims have Eyo regalia, which is a symbol of Olokun

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angel Of Death Erupts From Chile's Volcano (photos) / Breaking !! Nigerian Crude Oil Cargoes Unsold Due To OIL GLUT! Economic Crises!! / Kerosene Sold 50 Naira -first Time In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.