Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,181 members, 7,916,462 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 12:46 AM

Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. - Politics (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. (1246294 Views)

Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? / Anambra State Light Of The Nation. Economic And Political Powerhouse Of Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (524) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by asha80(m): 6:20pm On Dec 13, 2014
OreMI22:

Nna,
i remember then! I almost fell for that argument too because i thought they may not have experience or equipment to do what they are now doing.
Chai Peter and Obiano were right!!! IDC is a capable company. They are our own Julius Berger in the making!!!
which road construction is this?
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 6:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
asha80:
which road construction is this?

Second pic is the Enugu-Awka expressway.
The First and third pics are the road & bridge leading to Agulu resort hotel.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 7:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
One plea I will want Obiano to consider is to link the vast Awada layout residents to Onitsha directly by building a small two lane bridge over the Enugu-Onitsha expressway at Oraifite street by New Cemetery road (MCC road.)

In spite of its huge population, Awada layout is one area of Onitsha metropolis that you cannot find a bus taking you directly to the main market. They will bring you to the end of Oraifite street where you will cross the expressway on foot or go to Upper Iweka via Okada riding against the direction of traffic and then find another bus at upper Iweka to take you to main market.
If you live in Awada, you will know how difficult this can be for pregnant women trying to get ante-natal care at the general hospital. The whole trip using public transport can take up to one hour. Which could be 10-15 minutes if a small bridge is built to connect the vital Oraifite street corridor to the New Cemetery road ( MCC road.)

The UN habitat plan for Onitsha recommended a flyover to connect these critical roads which used to be the same New Cemetery road but was bisected when the expressway was constructed, and the other half of it in Awada renamed Oraifite street. I hope somehow, people will bring this lingering problem to Obiano's attention. He seems determined to right all the anomalies that have frustrated the full take off of Anambra state. ....and this bridge does not have to be a major flyover. Something like the Billante bridge connecting Trans-Ekulu to GRA Enugu or something more modern like the small two lane American bridge in the picture below going over a highway will do the magic to link up the New Cemetery road which continued as Oraifite street at the Awada end, and thus help the millions of Anambrarians living in Awada to come into Onitsha easily.
Thank you Sirs.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by ACM10: 7:33pm On Dec 13, 2014
Meen I'm proud of Obiano. cool cool cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by asha80(m): 7:42pm On Dec 13, 2014
OreMI22:
One plea I will want Obiano to consider is to link the vast Awada layout residents to Onitsha directly by building a small two lane bridge over the Enugu-Onitsha expressway at Oraifite street by MCC road.

In spite of its huge population, Awada layout is one area of Onitsha metropolis that you cannot find a bus taking you directly to the main market. They will bring you to the end of Oraifite street where you will cross the expressway on foot or go to Upper Iweka via Okada riding against the direction of traffic and then find another bus at upper Iweka to take you to main market.
If you live in Awada, you will know how difficult this can be for pregnant women trying to get ante-natal care at the general hospital. The whole trip using public transport can take up to one hour. Which could be 10-15 minutes if a small bridge is built to connect the vital Oraifite street corridor to the MCC road.

The UN habitat plan for Onitsha recommended a flyover to connect these critical roads which was bisected when the expressway was constructed. I hope somehow, people will bring this lingering problem to Obiano's attention. He seems determined to right all the anomalies that have frustrated the full take off of Anambra state. ....and this bridge does not have to be a major flyover. Something like the Billante bridge connecting Trans-Ekulu to GRA Enugu will do the magic and help the millions of Anambrarians living in Awada to come into Onitsha easily.
Thank you Sirs.
I have seen that structural plan of Onitsha and I have also seen that of nnewi and awka and to be honest I am not sure if obiano can implement all because they are capital intensive..it is recommended that Onitsha and environs need like 14 roads dualized,awka capital territory like 9 or so including two dualized ring roads and nnewi like 7.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 7:56pm On Dec 13, 2014
asha80:
I have seen that structural plan of Onitsha and I have also seen that of nnewi and awka and to be honest I am not sure if obiano can implement all because they are capital intensive..it is recommended that Onitsha and environs need like 14 roads dualized,awka capital territory like 9 or so including two dualized ring roads and nnewi like 7.

Ofcourse, all the projects cannot be achieved in one day. They are supposed to be a phased rolling development plan in which a few is achieved each year and it might take 15 or 20 years to achieve the entire dream. However, there are a few projects that are supposed to be of immediate implementation because they open the way for others to follow.The financial commitment involved are some of the reasons why a good plan to grow the IGR and collect taxes that actually enter into the Anambra state account is highly imperative.

According to the plan, the first phase was to decongest Onitsha be relocation of poorly situated markets and all the bus terminals away from upper iweka flyover area to a central bus park/terminal at Ogbunike along the Onitsha-Enugu expressway. Onitsha was supposed to have implemented the central bus terminal station/ park at Ogbunike. Which should be as vast as an airport having loading stations for different transporters, eateries and space where they can park their buses. That has not been achieved and i believe the plan may have been dumped entirely since Obi left office and a new plan being devised. Which may still be dumped if Obiano leaves office.

I had once said that due to shortage of funds, instead of building an airport at Otuocha-Anam, the state will benefit more using the funds to build a modern bus terminal somewhere along Onitsha -Awka expressway before the old toll gate.Our problem isn't the shortage of good ideas or plans, it is the will to implement anything at all we have planned.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 13, 2014
Schematics:
Update: Awka flyovers/tunnels..

that's a flyover and not a tunnel... Or am I missing something??

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Schematics: 8:07pm On Dec 13, 2014
@Orems

You have made some valid points but on the issue of an airport it is a foregone conclusion. The airport project will be carried out on PPP arrangement. Anambra will bring the land which they have done already and provide infrastructure/super-highway to link the airport to our major cities of Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi.

Orient Petroleum and other foreign partners are championing the airport because it is very key to the commercial sell of the aviation fuel (ATK). The airport will aide the overall activities of oil companies and its affiliates springing up around Anambra north axis, boast our economic activities and more importantly link Anambra directly to the world because I learnt it will be an International Cargo/Passenger airport.

On the UN-Habitat plan it is still being implemented, it was never dumped. That plan is a structure/base map. Even these flyovers in Awka were some of the recommendations of the UN-Habitat. The pedestrian bridges springing up all over Onitsha are equally some of their recommendations for Onitsha. It is a process that will run for many years until all of them are fully implemented. Obiano's design is to bring to reality those recommendations for Awka via the new design with Dubai, Seoul and Kigali in focus.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 8:15pm On Dec 13, 2014
Schematics:
@Orems

You have made some valid points but on the issue of an airport it is a foregone conclusion. The airport project will be carried out on PPP arrangement. Anambra will bring the land which they have done already and provide infrastructure/super-highway to link the airport to our major cities of Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi.

Orient Petroleum and other foreign partners are championing the airport because it is very key to the commercial sell of the aviation fuel (ATK). The airport will aide the overall activities of oil companies and its affiliates springing up around Anambra north axis, boast our economic activities and more importantly link Anambra directly to the world because I learnt it will be an International Cargo/Passenger airport.

i'm not against the airport as it will help open up the Anambra oil and gas sector to take off. I am just saying we need to implement some of the plans we have already agreed will lift up the state. Instead of always being in the planning mode and never implementing anything we spent so much time planning.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 13, 2014
OreMI22:

Second pic is the Enugu-Awka expressway.
The First and third pics are the road & bridge leading to Agulu resort hotel.

pls try and update yourself. Agulu lake bridge is done and no more under construction.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Schematics: 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
The plans are already being implemented. Part of the plans to decongest Onitsha markets is why Oba international market is fast ongoing towards completion. The new West African Trade Center that was started recently was to totally decongest main market. So all these are process to achieving the optimum goal. The last administration laid most of this ground work while this new administration is now implementing them.

Like as I said earlier Anambra is not spending anything on the airport, it is a PPP arrangement where they will throw in the land and road infrastructure. The investor knowing that returns on investment in Anambra is so high will readily jump at it as they are already doing.

OreMI22:

i'm not against the airport as it will help the Anambra oil and gas sector to take off. I am just saying we need to implement some of the plans we have already agreed will lift up the state. Instead of always being in the planning mode and never implementing anything we spent so much time planning.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Schematics: 8:31pm On Dec 13, 2014
Update: Gov Obiano inspecting the bridge that connects Umunya - Afor Igwe road.

So much is going on all around Anambra.. cool

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by OreMI22: 8:54pm On Dec 13, 2014
Schematics:
Anam city project is a private sector initiative. I think they are group of investors that are setting it up with their foreign partners..

The biggest hiccup to the project has been when the bridge connecting Anam ultra-modern city directly into 33/GRA Onitsha will be awarded and built.

The present access bridge is about 30 KM away from Onitsha GRA. Since the idea is to create a modern GRA Onitsha in this city, a bridge that far away will be unattractive for anyone to go there and build their house.Then will have to travel almost to Otuocha every day just to get home from Onitsha.

So this new proposed bridge to connect Onitsha 33/GRA which should cost at least N3 billion naira must be built for this project to see the light of the day. I thought Peter Obi would atleast award the bridge contract as one of his many bridge projects, but that didn't happen.

Maybe a deal with IDC can be reached to build this vital new bridge for this project to take off. Even if the state secures a bank loan to build the bridge and eventually put a cheap toll gate just to make sure it is repaid, i believe it is a good investment. The Anam city project if implemented according to master plan will be another Eko Atlantic city in context, not scope.

See map for explanation of the challenges faced by Anam ultra modern city.

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Schematics: 9:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
There was a bridge Obiano awarded about a month ago in that region. I don't know if it has access to that Anam city.

OreMI22:

The biggest hiccup to the project has been when the bridge connecting Anam ultra-modern city directly into 33/GRA Onitsha will be awarded and built.

The present access bridge is about 30 KM away from Onitsha GRA. Since the idea is to create a modern GRA Onitsha in this city, a bridge that far away will be unattractive for anyone to go there and build their house.Then will have to travel almost to Otuocha every day just to get home from Onitsha.

So this new proposed bridge to connect Onitsha 33/GRA which should cost at least N3 billion naira must be built for this project to see the light of the day. I thought Peter Obi would atleast award the bridge contract as one of his many bridge projects, but that didn't happen.

Maybe a deal with IDC can be reached to build this vital new bridge for this project to take off. Even if the state secures a bank loan to build the bridge and eventually put a cheap toll gate just to make sure it is repaid, i believe it is a good investment. The Anam city project if implemented according to master plan will be another Eko Atlantic city in context, not scope.

See map for explanation of the challenges faced by Anam ultra modern city.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 10:20pm On Dec 13, 2014
Mehn,
Ihe n'eme na this thread! Just in 24 hours and all these? Wow! Deeme nu o!

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Arysexy(m): 10:56pm On Dec 13, 2014
I Am overwhelmed with joy, seeing that obiano don't Just talk d talk. He does the talk. AKPOKUEDIKE OZA!

This is MASSIVE DEVELOPMENT as chino would scream.

This Christmas, I will take a tour of Awka and environs, trust me to bombard this thread with developmental pictures.

God bless the contributors, and well wishers of umu omambala. It is well with ndigbo. We shall get there gradually.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by backtosender: 12:15am On Dec 14, 2014
ACM10:
Meen I'm proud of Obiano. cool cool cool
for real

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by knowledgeable: 12:46am On Dec 14, 2014
Unemadu:

If IDC is fully indigenous then im impressed

I also wonder if being indigenous also translates to less expensive project costs

If so then they can also export their expertise to other states as this will speed up construction in Nigeria as a whole

If the rest of Nigeria, and indeed sub - Sahara Africa can try to understand this resilience and self reliance spirit of the Igbos of Nigeria, Africa infrastructural gap and regional integration analysis could have being on a different level. Could you imagine, innoson motors producing locally made heavy equipment trucks and caterpillars ( doable too ) and employ Labour force of age b/w 20 - 40yr (solving Nigeria or Africa youth bulge ) on a 24 hr basis. This will cut down close to 40% of the so called $90 billion yearly Africa infrastructural gap, that Nigeria and Africa govt. Africa development Bank and private sector are crafting through PPA. The bulk of that $90 billion comes from equipment importation. .....also $150 billion yearly cash out flow from Africa through these dubious arrangements. We gave them nollywood and innoson against all Odds, we can give them IDCs

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Gamechanger: 1:00am On Dec 14, 2014
More good roads from Anambra hinterland.
1. Aguleri to Nteje Road ( pictured from Sen. Obi Anosike house to Afia Nteje via Marist College

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Gamechanger: 1:05am On Dec 14, 2014
This one leads to Igbariam town with a spur to Achalla

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Gamechanger: 1:09am On Dec 14, 2014
This one leads to Nando town. The sides are with in yellow

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Gamechanger: 1:15am On Dec 14, 2014
From Ogbariam town to Onitsha - Nsukka Expressway. Good road but incomplete markings

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Gamechanger: 1:17am On Dec 14, 2014
Make I sleep

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 14, 2014
^^^^^^^^ Those look like they'd be fun to speed on smiley

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by IGBOSON1: 2:25am On Dec 14, 2014
@Gamechanger: The roads in first 3 posts are nice! Hopefully, we'll see more of this standard of roads all over those high-density inner-streets in Onitsha!!

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 2:26am On Dec 14, 2014
Gamechanger:
From Ogbariam town to Onitsha - Nsukka Expressway. Good road but incomplete markings
Sweet roads!
The good thing with the Peter Obi roads is that they are paved with gutters on both sides and tar extended from gutter on the left to the gutter on your right. So there is no raw soil on the road shoulder for rain water to seep into the ground and make the road base soggy and soft leading to breakdown. These roads with gutters on both sides will last 20 years before any maintenance is required. Unlike 2-3 years life span without gutters.

Without those gutters, the roads would have broken down due to our clay soil type.
Excellent solution to our perennial problem of non-lasting roads due to soil type.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by cjrane: 2:45am On Dec 14, 2014
knowledgeable:

If the rest of Nigeria, and indeed sub - Sahara Africa can try to understand this resilience and self reliance spirit of the Igbos of Nigeria, Africa infrastructural gap and regional integration analysis could have being on a different level. Could you imagine, innoson motors producing locally made heavy equipment trucks and caterpillars ( doable too ) and employ Labour force of age b/w 20 - 40yr (solving Nigeria or Africa youth bulge ) on a 24 hr basis. This will cut down close to 40% of the so called $90 billion yearly Africa infrastructural gap, that Nigeria and Africa govt. Africa development Bank and private sector are crafting through PPA. The bulk of that $90 billion comes from equipment importation. .....also $150 billion yearly cash out flow from Africa through these dubious arrangements. We gave them nollywood and innoson against all Odds, we can give them IDCs

Very well said.
My biggest regret is that for quick profits, our people sometimes don't concentrate on building a brand name for the long haul.All of us call detergent "Omo" because that brand name was built over time. "Shoprite" the name of a supermarket chain in SA is synonymous with Malls in Nigeria because they are usually the main anchors and maintain their quality everywhere they go.

If IDC for example will know they are building a brand name and focus on doing the highest quality designs and construction with the best materials, they will soon build a reputation like Julius Berger.
Recall that if Julius Berger had not done a good job building solid Lagos bridges when they first entered Nigeria in the early 1970s, nobody would associate them with high quality jobs. To build a brand name takes time and commitment to the highest quality. Once people begin to associate the name IDC to a high quality construction job, they will begin to get so much contracts across Nigeria like Julius Berger and will grow into a true conglomerate. Many indigenous companies often disappoint themselves and are sometimes even blacklisted! Imagine how Hardle & Ernic owned by Iwuanyanwu isn't even listed as a construction company anywhere in Nigeria!

The question is will they seek quick easy profits by cutting quality on these initial reputation building projects or they will be wise to use these projects to build their names about what they are capable of delivering. Dantata & Sawoe construction company have managed to do a good job to make them a great indigenous construction group.http://www.dantata-sawoe.com/bridges.html . IDC must attain and even surpass that standard.
I hope IDC keep their standard. They may start in Awka today and soon they will be all over Abuja, West Africa and even the middle east in time.

8 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 2:47am On Dec 14, 2014
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Myluv1: 2:48am On Dec 14, 2014
Schematics:
Update: Gov Obiano inspecting the bridge that connects Umunya - Afor Igwe road.
So much is going on all around Anambra.. cool

I drove across that border last January to connect Enugu-Onitsha expressway. Thank you Akpokuedike for continuing Okwute's work.

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Myluv1: 3:39am On Dec 14, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:
^^^^^^^^ Those look like they'd be fun to speed on smiley

Exactly what I said in my mind! cheesy Bear in mind also that a lot of people are going to think same way. And due to the good roads traversing everywhere in the state, guys will be speeding like crazyy from all corners of our cities and villages. Let the good roads not bring bad news to our families.
Learn defensive driving because Oooompa(Hero beer) will flow wink! Some road users will get drunk and still drive. Let's drive carefully. Eje ana bu isi ije, umunnaa

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Myluv1: 3:50am On Dec 14, 2014
moonglow:
that second pic with traffic sign reading 'Marine corp . exit 148 ' is not Nigeria.
He was showing an example of the flyover he wants to be built in the first picture.

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Schematics: 7:01am On Dec 14, 2014
This is bomb.. cheesy

This is what we mean when we say that Anambra has the best road network not just in our urban centers but all corners of the state and hinterlands..

This is the sort of road that one can only see in US or UK.

Anambra obodo oyibo.. cheesy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (524) (Reply)

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.