Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,389 members, 7,884,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 05:20 PM

Is Marriage Outdated? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Outdated? (689 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage Outdated? by tobechi20(m): 8:58pm On Oct 03, 2014
Married people have too many expectations towards one and other. When they can't live up to the expectations they might get a divorce.

It seem that the vows no longer "till death do us part," but rather " for as long as i am getting something." It's like permissive liberalism has completely marred the concept of traditional marriage.
In my opinion why get married if you can break it. You can find people living together but not married are happy. Instead of marrying someone but your like a prison. So why do we need marriage, just to prove that you are legally married or to prove that you own this man/woman

However, with ever rising amounts of premarital sex, single parent families and children born outside of wedlock, as well as the decline in adherence to religion and the welcome inclusion of the Gay community, for some, marriage is losing much of its appeal and seems to be becoming a bit outdated

Today, more and more people are stripping themselves of morals (and in conjunction with that, clothing as well). People are starting to believe that sex before marriage is perfectly fine, and in that, there is no reason to be married. The truth is that those people are insecure and afraid that there will never be that one person for them, so they say, "Why get married?"

People have become too selfish and lazy in my opinion for a marriage to work like it did in the olden days. Besides, divorce has become so "normal" that it is no longer seen as a big deal, which, in turn, makes the vows taken upon marriage completely meaningless. People forget that a marriage is supposed to be a partnership and that it needs constant work and upkeep by both partners. "for better or for worse" remember? That means working through the hard times, not giving up because "we fell out of love"

Marriage is outdated
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by tobechi20(m): 9:07pm On Oct 03, 2014
The first argument that marriage might be outdated is the divorce rate

As this culture becomes more individual focused, bonds with others for survival becomes less important. We now pay people to do the things we used to accomplish in a partnership. Restaurants and fast food chains, once relegated to occasional familyoutings, are a main source of nourishment. There are agencies that will deliver “home-cooked meals” to you or have them ready for pick-up. Cleaning staff, once limited to the rich or to businesses, are being used by the middle-class. Both parents are working, focusing on their careers, their paths toward self individuation, and more tedious tasks like yard work are being hired out. The point, partnerships are less necessary than they were 60 years ago.
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by tobechi20(m): 9:13pm On Oct 03, 2014
1.Marriage is traditionally rooted in a patriarchal structure, where a woman assumed her husband’s name along with certain traditional roles within the family, e.g. housekeeping, cooking and childrearing. This is an increasingly outdated concept, particularly as same sex marriage is on the rise, more women remain in the workforce after marriage and many men assume the role of primary caregivers to a couple’s children

4.Sex outside of marriage is more and more openly accepted—marriage is no longer a prerequisite to sanctioned physical relationships between consenting adults.
5.There is an increase in cohabitation outside of marriage. Cohabitation does not necessarily lead to marriage, but rather could lead to serial monogamy or lifelong partnerships and families without marriage.
6.More children are being born outside of marriage. Unplanned pregnancies do not necessarily lead to marriage or adoption, but rather can often lead to co-parenting by parents who cohabit or are not together. Advances in assisted reproduction technology are another major factor in the increasing number of babies born to unmarried people
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by ammyluv2002(f): 9:37pm On Oct 03, 2014
God instituted marriage from day one and nothing made by the master himself can be outdated so I didn't even bother reading your long story grin
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by mdbabah2008(m): 10:13pm On Oct 03, 2014
stop telling us what
God did when me and you weren't there, my brother wake up and be free from these imported religious believe
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by JEITO: 11:05pm On Oct 03, 2014
mdbabah2008: stop telling us what
God did when me and you weren't there, my brother wake up and be free from these imported religious believe
are you married? If no, do you intend to get married? If no, do youu indulge in sex?
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by pickabeau1: 11:57pm On Oct 03, 2014
Yes and no

Yes as it is seen as too much trouble and people are cohabiting

No as people know Its a standard

Even gays wanted their relationship to be known as marriage as against civil partnership

Lol
Re: Is Marriage Outdated? by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 04, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Pregnancy And Hormones? Your Experience? / Check Out These Wonderful Yoruba Mothers' Inventions? / TESTIMONY: How My Brother Nearly Became A Graduate Dropout.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.