Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,804 members, 7,872,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 07:21 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (705856 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:30am On Apr 21, 2016
forgiveness:
Exclusive: Siasia Invites Roma Defender Abdullahi, Panathinaikos Midfielder Ajagun,Abubakar To Training Camp;Recalls Sokari,Etor

Published: April 20, 2016

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Nigeria U23s coach Samson Siasia has drawn up a list of players he intends to select for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

And there are some fresh invitees that made what you would rightly call a provisional squad list, with the former Nantes striker set to run the rule over Roma teenage sensations Sadiq Umar and Nura Abdullahi, KuPS defender Aliyu Abubakar and Panathinaikos loanee Abdul Ajagun during the get-together prior to the competition.

Other players that Siasia will monitor at the training camp include, but not limited to, K.V. Oostende striker Godwin Saviour and Barcelona defender Godswill Ekpolo.

The retired Nigeria international has shown his compassionate side as he plans to recall CS Sfaxien star Kingsley Sokari and Enyimba midfielder Daniel Etor, having omitted both players from his recent squads for leaving the Dream Team VI camp without permission just before the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

The Nigeria U23s will trade tackles with Sweden, Japan and Colombia in the group stage of the Olympic Games.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18739

Ajagun my boy. grin

Sadiq Umar will give many players heart attack in training. grin

Siasia please don't forget Moses Odubanjo. Forgive him as your heavenly father forgave you all ya sins. grin For he knowth what he did. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:24am On Apr 21, 2016
forgiveness:

Ajagun my boy. grin

Siasia please don't forget Moses Odubanjo. Forgive him as your heavenly father forgave you all ya sins. grin For he knowth what he did. grin

I have been waiting for your reaction on these invitees. grin

It is good they are invited so that Mr Forgiveness Ajagun Solanke will not say a certain group of players were nt given the opportunity.

BTW what offense did Moses Odubanjo commit?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 11:05am On Apr 21, 2016
Icon4s:

I have been waiting for your reaction on these invitees. grin

It is good they are invited so that Mr Forgiveness Ajagun Solanke will not say a certain group of players were nt given the opportunity.

BTW what offense did Moses Odubanjo commit?

Bros, to react now na money oo. grin you know what i mean.

Moses Odubanjo was invited to the U23 camp in 2014 but his club refused to realise him as at that time but Moses later went ahead to honour England's invitation to play in Toulon Tournament.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 11:11am On Apr 21, 2016
Icon4s:

So expertly done. Excellent first touch and control.
The ball travelled at 111km/h. No keeper on this earth can catch dat ball.

BTW was it a cup final cos d goal celebration from Ndidi was too much.

It is a playoff game.

I think the celebration is more about the type of goal. Remember the guy is just 19.

4 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by jobsat34(m): 11:15am On Apr 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Abasi Mbok.

What kind of kick is that? The referee should have ended the game there. That was amazing.

Oliseh is back and his name is Wilfred Ndidi.

did you notice the speed and velocity of that hit??
111Kmph!!!!

5 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 12:57pm On Apr 21, 2016
RIO 2016| List of Siasia’s 10 Over-aged Players

National U-23 team coach, Samson Siasia has included 10 over-aged players in the 60-man list he submitted to the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) technical committee for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in August.

The coach, who has commenced training in Abuja with some of the listed players is expected to pick his final 21 players for the games from the pool which included the 10 over-aged players that would be reduced to three for the final list.
Siasia, who disclosed this yesterday in Abuja refused to disclose the names of the 10 players, insisting that it was not yet time to unveil them.

Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, Ogenyi Onazi, Ahmed Musa and Odion Ighalo are some of the over-aged players the former Super Eagles coach would pick from his pool.
Siasia, who confirmed reports that the Dream Team VI would be playing Honduras in an international friendly match, noted that the team is not yet prepared for the Olympic Games, even as his target at the Olympics is nothing short of the gold medal.
“It is out of place to ask whether we are ready because we are certainly not ready. We just started training and it will take some while for us to be ready. Now that we have known our group opponents and secured some friendly matches after speaking with some of the coaches during the draw, we will be very focused.

“The Honduras coach specifically assured me that he would be ready to lead his team for a friendly with my team during our pre-tournament camping in USA. For me, the most important thing is to put a formidable team together to do the job for us in Rio.
“We have a list of 60 players in the pool. It is obvious now that we cannot bring in any new player into those 60 shortlisted players. We have already resumed all the paper work to ensure that we submit the list on time before the deadline.

“The federation has started writing letters to the foreign clubs of the players we penciled down for possible selection. We want to plead with them for permission to release the players for us in August for the tournament.

“I included about 10 over-aged players in the shortlisted 60 players. It became necessary because if we don’t include them in the list, it will be very difficult for them to make the final list.
“For now I don’t want to disclose the identity of the over-aged players in the list until I know the current form of the players and the positions we need their assistance.” he noted.

The Dream Team VI coach also dismissed claims that the listing of PSG of France attacker, Zlatan Ibrahimovich and Juan Cuadrago as over-aged players for Sweden and Colombia respectively, could be a threat to the Nigerian side.

“They know why they need those players to play for them, but obviously they can’t scare us. It is not about one individual, it is about a team. We have played against bigger players before in the Olympics. Are they going to present a stronger team that will play against us? That is the question and not about an individual player.” He noted.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/826835342?-21310:8643:t

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:58pm On Apr 21, 2016
forgiveness:

Bros, to react now na money oo. grin you know what i mean.

Moses Odubanjo was invited to the U23 camp in 2014 but his club refused to realise him as at that time but Moses later went ahead to honour England invitation to play in Toulon Tournament.

I expect Moses Odubanjo to make the Olympics Team if invited. That Right back is about the least keenly contested position in that team.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2016
forgiveness:
RIO 2016| List of Siasia’s 10 Over-aged Players

National U-23 team coach, Samson Siasia has included 10 over-aged players in the 60-man list he submitted to the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) technical committee for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in August.

The coach, who has commenced training in Abuja with some of the listed players is expected to pick his final 21 players for the games from the pool which included the 10 over-aged players that would be reduced to three for the final list.
Siasia, who disclosed this yesterday in Abuja refused to disclose the names of the 10 players, insisting that it was not yet time to unveil them.

Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, Ogenyi Onazi, Ahmed Musa and Odion Ighalo are some of the over-aged players the former Super Eagles coach would pick from his pool.
Siasia, who confirmed reports that the Dream Team VI would be playing Honduras in an international friendly match, noted that the team is not yet prepared for the Olympic Games, even as his target at the Olympics is nothing short of the gold medal.
“It is out of place to ask whether we are ready because we are certainly not ready. We just started training and it will take some while for us to be ready. Now that we have known our group opponents and secured some friendly matches after speaking with some of the coaches during the draw, we will be very focused.

“The Honduras coach specifically assured me that he would be ready to lead his team for a friendly with my team during our pre-tournament camping in USA. For me, the most important thing is to put a formidable team together to do the job for us in Rio.
“We have a list of 60 players in the pool. It is obvious now that we cannot bring in any new player into those 60 shortlisted players. We have already resumed all the paper work to ensure that we submit the list on time before the deadline.

“The federation has started writing letters to the foreign clubs of the players we penciled down for possible selection. We want to plead with them for permission to release the players for us in August for the tournament.

“I included about 10 over-aged players in the shortlisted 60 players. It became necessary because if we don’t include them in the list, it will be very difficult for them to make the final list.
“For now I don’t want to disclose the identity of the over-aged players in the list until I know the current form of the players and the positions we need their assistance.” he noted.

The Dream Team VI coach also dismissed claims that the listing of PSG of France attacker, Zlatan Ibrahimovich and Juan Cuadrago as over-aged players for Sweden and Colombia respectively, could be a threat to the Nigerian side.

“They know why they need those players to play for them, but obviously they can’t scare us. It is not about one individual, it is about a team. We have played against bigger players before in the Olympics. Are they going to present a stronger team that will play against us? That is the question and not about an individual player.” He noted.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/826835342?-21310:8643:t

A single player like Zlantan Ibrahimovich can single handedly tear apart a top club's defense, talkless of an U23 defense. We need a matured and tested CB pair like Omeruo and Balogun. I will have no fear with our LB if Kingsley Madu handles that position. As for our RB, still open. We can rely on the experience of Onazi or Mikel in the DMF position. With Onazi/Mikel shielding Omeruo and Balogun I think we can effectively cope with Ibrahimovich.

James Rodrigues and Juan Cuadrado are another cause for worry for us. Carlos Bacca is also there. Siasia needs to get his Midfield and defense selections right.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by chrisooblog: 2:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
see as you dey shine teeth cheesy congrats your hero was called up lets hope for his sake and general good of nigeria he impresses
forgiveness:

Ajagun my boy. grin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:19pm On Apr 21, 2016
chrisooblog:
see as you dey shine teeth cheesy congrats your hero was called up lets hope for his sake and general good of nigeria he impresses

grin Abi o.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by chrisooblog: 2:33pm On Apr 21, 2016
boss i'm not so sold on the idea of taking mikel to rio. i feel we have better options in form of ndidi, usman and onazi who just need belief and exposure to flourish. i know you will say mikel has experience and will bring control to the midfield but lets be honest the reason we have been using him is because he's the proverbial one eyed man who's king in our blind midfield kingdom. glad onazi is getting games his lack of game time was the main reason i excluded him from my list we will surely need his bullishness in rio.
Icon4s:

A single player like Zlantan Ibrahimovich can single handedly tear apart an U23 defense. We need a matured and tested CB pair like Omeruo and Balogun. I will have no fear with our LB if Kingsley Madu handles that position. As for our RB, still open. We can rely on the experience of Onazi or Mikel in the DMF position. With Onazi/Mikel shielding Omeruo and Balogun I think we can effectively cope with Ibrahimovich.

James Rodrigues and Juan Cuadrado are another cause for worry for us. Carlos Bacca is also there. Siasia needs to get his Midfield and defense selections right.

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 2:35pm On Apr 21, 2016
Icon4s:

I expect Moses Odubanjo to make the Olympics Team if invited. That Right back is about the least keenly contested position in that team.

Well, i hope.... but i have not heard any rumour of his name on the list.

The likes of Musa Mohammed, Godswill Ekpolo, Shehu Abdullahi, Nura Abdullahi, Seth, Ehizibue and Ebuechi will give moses Odubanjo run for his money.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:36pm On Apr 21, 2016
chrisooblog:
boss i'm not so sold on the idea of taking mikel to rio. i feel we have better options in form of ndidi, usman and onazi who just need belief and exposure to flourish. i know you will say mikel has experience and will bring control to the midfield but lets be honest the reason we have been using him is because he's the proverbial one eyed man who's king in our blind midfield kingdom. glad onazi is getting games his lack of game time was the main reason i excluded him from my list we will surely need his bullishness in rio.

Onazi is my First choice in that DMF Position
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:41pm On Apr 21, 2016
forgiveness:

Well, i hope.... but i have not heard any rumour of his name on the list.

The likes of Musa Mohammed, Godswill Ekpolo, Shehu Abdullahi, Nura Abdullahi, Seth, Ehizibue and Ebuehi will give moses Odubanjo run for their money.

Those two mentioned names resemble themselves. They must nt both play in same team else the commentator would jst be bitting his tongue especially if one passes the ball to the other. grin

Something like:".....and Ebuehi finds Ehizibue..".

You can actually spell Ebuehi from Ehi zi bue.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 2:47pm On Apr 21, 2016
chrisooblog:

Hehehe! 'your hero' mbanu! 'our hero' that's right. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 2:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
Icon4s:

Those two mentioned names resemble themselves. They must nt both play in same team else the commentator would jst be bitting his tongue especially if one passes the ball to the other. grin

Something like:".....and Ebuehi finds Ehizibue..".

You can actually spell Ebuehi from Ehi zi bue.

Hehehe!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 3:09pm On Apr 21, 2016
forgiveness:

Ajagun my boy. grin

Speaking of Sadiq

Liverpool interested in €12m Umar Sadiq

http://www.soccerassembly.com/groups/nigerian-players-abroad/forum/topic/liverpool-interested-in-e12m-umar-sadiq/#post-170

Just How many Nigerian Players do Liverpool want ? grin

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:33pm On Apr 21, 2016
tbaba1234:
OMG... Did anyone see Ndidi's goal today? Outstanding is an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNrukUXR8bc

OMG what a volley. This guy must replicate this form while on Olympics duty.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:46pm On Apr 21, 2016
Pavarotti:

Speaking of Sadiq

Liverpool interested in €12m Umar Sadiq

http://www.soccerassembly.com/groups/nigerian-players-abroad/forum/topic/liverpool-interested-in-e12m-umar-sadiq/#post-170

Just How many Nigerian Players do Liverpool want ? grin

shocked ;DThat shows the lad is good. Anyway i hope he impresses Siasia in training.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zoboizee: 7:54pm On Apr 21, 2016
our leftback is our weakest link. of all the u23 games have seen, that leftback is very weak. Especially dat Effiong Ndifrike.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 8:45pm On Apr 21, 2016
Isaac success scored..

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 8:47pm On Apr 21, 2016
http://www.dailymotion (dot) com/video/x4649x6_isaac-success-goal-granada-cf-1-0-levante-21-04-2016_sport

Replace (dot) with . and paste on your browser.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
Isaac Success 1 goal 1 assist halftime.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 21, 2016
zoboizee:
our leftback is our weakest link. of all the u23 games have seen, that leftback is very weak. Especially dat Effiong Ndifrike.
That's why Oshaniwa would be needed in Brazil

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 9:36pm On Apr 21, 2016
CFCman:

That's why Oshaniwa would be needed in Brazil

Oshaniwa bawo

Madu and Amuzie can do the job..
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zoboizee: 9:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
Pls leave Oshaniwa outta it. Needs fresh legs. But not the guy dat played against Brazil. The guy was very very poor.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:54pm On Apr 21, 2016
It is funny when people try to make Mikel look like a useless player, when he is far from it.

If Mikel is as terrible as a lot of you make him (Not just this thread), how did he rake more man of the match performances than any Super Eagles player in the AFCON we won.

How come top respected coaches like Scolari, Mourinho, Benitez, Villas-Boas, Avram Grant, Ancelotti, kept using him.

He is among the most capped players in the history of Chelsea with over 350 appearances.

In the Super Eagles, he was maintained by different coaches.

Mikel have had solid games against top oppositions like Bayern Munich and Barcelona. He put in a good game against Manchester United in the FA Cup finals.

His wonderful performance against Spain remains in our minds.

So how can someone try to make it look as if Mikel is just a King in a blind midfield.

Michel Vonk (Coach of Sparta Rotterdam in January 2013) singled out Mikel Obi and Kenneth Omeruo for special mention. “Your number 10 (Mikel), is very good, creative and has good vision, then Omeruo, very good aerially and gives good cover to the keeper.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4687/2013-africa-cup-of-nations/2013/01/12/3667304/emenike-scores-as-nigeria-defeat-sparta-rotterdam-in-warm-up?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_3

Unless we want to say all these coaches are wrong and they do not know what they are doing.

Chelsea is offering Mikel a knew contract and they rejected interests from Arsenal and Inter Milan. They can not all be wrong.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:58pm On Apr 21, 2016
zoboizee:

In Kingsley Madu we have a trusted LB.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 6:06am On Apr 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Iwobi Makes 5th EPL Start; Success Shines; Mbakogu Plays In San Siro; Friday Unstoppable In Norway
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com reviews the performances of players of Nigerian descent in Europe on Thursday.

Arsenal won for the 18th time in the Premier League this season after beating West Brom 2-0 at the Emirates. Alex Iwobi was on parade for the Gunners for 82 minutes. Victor Anichebe watched on from the bench for the visitors.

In the Serie A, Jerry Mbakogu worked a ninety-minute shift in attack for Carpi as they drew goalless with AC Milan at the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium.
Over to the Liga BBVA, Granada came away with a 5-1 win against fellow relegation candidates Levante, with Isaac Success starting and playing for 73 minutes before he subbed out.

The former Golden Eaglets star opened the floodgates in the 25th minute and did some brilliant work to tee up Rubén Rochina for Granada’s third goal on the night.

Tyronne Ebuehi started and played 90 minutes of ADO Den Haag’s 2-1 loss to AZ Alkmaar at the Kyocera Stadion in the Dutch Eredivisie.

Still in Holland, Funso Ojo played the entirety of Willem II’s 1-1 draw with Cambuur.

Across the border, in Belgium, Moses Simon came on in the 61st minute as Gent played out a 1-1 draw with Anderlecht at the Ghelamco Arena in the Pro League. Stefano Okaka Chuka played the full game for the visitors. Imoh Ezekiel was absent.

In the Norwegian Premier League, Fred Friday netted in the 38th minute, his fourth goal in four matches, as Lillestrom shared the spoils with Aalesund (1-1). The young striker and teammate Innocent Bonke lasted the distance.

Chidiebere Nwakali made his third consecutive start for IK Start but could not prevent his team from losing 4-1 to Sarpsborg 08. He was replaced in the 73rd minute while his teammate Austine Uzoremeke was on the bench.

Onyekachi Ugwuadu entered the fray for SO8 nine minutes from time.

In the Finnish Cup,Taye Taiwo, Nnamdi Oduamadi and Vincent Onovo missed HJK Helsinki’s 5-1 rout of AC Kajaani. Adeniyi Michael Ibiyomi, who played the full game, netted a consolation in the 79th minute.

Faith Friday Obilor went the full 90 as Inter Turku were hammered 4-0 by PK-35 Vantaa.

Team mate Philip Njoku was introduced in the 44th minute.

Azubuike Egwuekwe and Gbolahan Salami started and completed KuPS’s 1-0 victory against JaePS. Paul Onobi did not make the 18-man squad, while Aliyu Abubakar was an unused sub for the Kuopio-based team.
Igho Kingsley
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18754
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:21am On Apr 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF South Africa 2016 Olympics - Men Football South Africa U23
South Africa to face Neymar at Rio Olympics
[/size]
Barcelona forward Neymar representing Brazil

by Bertin Basson

South Africa's under-23 national team will face a Brazilian side bolstered by Barcelona ace Neymar in the opening game of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Barcelona announced on Wednesday that they had reached an agreement with the Brazilian Football Confederation to release Neymar for the Olympics. Neymar, though, will not participate in the 2016 Copa America Centenario.

A statement by the Catalan club read:
"Barcelona thanks the Brazilian Football Confederation and its president Marco Polo Del Nero, who accepted the proposal made to the club for the player Neymar Jr. only have to compete in the Olympic Games of 2016, which take place between Aug. 3-20."

Neymar, 24, was on the field as the Selecão suffered a 2-1 defeat to Mexico in the gold-medal game at the 2012 London Games.

Success at the Olympics is the only accolade missing from the five-time FIFA World Cup winners trophy cabinet - having failed to win gold in 12 previous Olympic appearances.

Hosts Brazil were drawn in Group A alongside South Africa, Denmark and Iraq. Neymar memorable scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 win over Bafana Bafana in Johannesburg two years ago.

The final will be played at the iconic Maracana on the 20th of August.
africanfootball.com/news/625915/South-Africa-to-face-Neymar-at-Rio-Olympics
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:26am On Apr 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian-Born Striker Daniel Udoh Backed To Take League One By Storm
[/size]

Striker Daniel Udoh is being backed to shine for Crewe Alexandra in League One by first team coach James Collins.

The 19-year-old joined the Railwaymen from non-league side Ilkeston in March and has made four appearances for the club in the third-tier, including his debut against Bradford City.

“Danny has a great work ethic and he has a good leap on him. He is prepared to have that contact with other players and he is determined to do well,” said James Collins to the official website of Crewe Alexandra.

“When you sign the players from non-league they are grateful for the opportunity and they want to impress. He is more streetwise than our own Academy players and hopefully that competitiveness will rub off on some of our players.

“We develop more technical players here and hopefully some of the work we will do will rub off on him.”

Udoh had stops at Kidderminster Harriers, Worcester City, Wingate & Finchley and Grays Athletic before he signed for Ilkeston.

Photo Credit : crewealex.net
Igho Kingsley
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18745
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:31am On Apr 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2015/2016 Chelsea
Mikel wants to go to Rio after missing out on Beijing Olympics
[/size]

Nigeria skipper Mikel wants Rio Olympics action after missing out on Beijing Olympics

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has reasoned Chelsea star Mikel Obi is angling to be part of the Rio Olympics after he missed out on Beijing Olympics in 2008.

Siasia did not call Mikel for the Beijing Olympics after he stayed away for the qualifiers.

"I guess that because Mikel missed out the last time, he wants to make up for it,” Siasia said.

“Not only that, the last couple of games he has played for the Super Eagles, he has been playing very well, and if he wants to be part of the team, of course he is welcome, but as I said we have to look at the positions we really, really need people.

“We are not going to select players because they play for the Super Eagles or because they are still under the age bracket.

“They have to compete with those players who actually qualified the team for the Olympics.”

Siasia confirmed that he has sent a provisional list of 60 players for the Games.

According to him, “if your name is not on that list, then no Olympics for you. That's why we put as many names as we can, we don't know the Europe-based players whose clubs would release for the Games.”
africanfootball.com/news/625970/Mikel-wants-to-go-to-Rio-after-missing-out-on-Beijing-Olympics
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.